PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo!

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
September 22nd 04, 10:25 PM
I deadlifted 56 kg today!

I'm female with a bodyweight of 62kg and I've been doing various
weightlifting off and on for a couple years, but never really got into
deadlifts much until this June when I had a decent trainer who could
watch my form and tell me what I was doing right and wrong - I was
scared to go heavy without having someone reassure me that I was using
proper form.

Last night, I kept dreaming about my deadlift workout today. So I was
kinda psyched when I started. After my warmup set of 30kg, and a workset
of 46kg, I tried for 60kg (mostly for kicks), but couldn't get it to
budge. Dropped it to 56 and it still wouldn't move. But, I didn't give up.

I dropped back to 46 kg (2 10-kg plates, on a 6kg bar), got 6 reps, then
added 2 2kg plates to bring it up to 50kg, cranked out 4 reps. I took
off the 2kg plates and added 2 5kg plates. The first attempt didn't go
anywhere. I rested a few minutes, stretched a bit, then tried again -
and it sorta started to move.... So I rested briefly, squatted down,
took a few deep breaths and blew em out, then told myself, "I'm gonna
****in DO this!" and pulled and got the bar to start and once it was
moving, I was able to stand up and lock it out! YES!!!

I am really jazzed about this. It felt SO kewl to be working with a
weight that heavy. I've never done that before! I wanna celebrate by
going out to buy two 25kg plates. [big grin]

My longterm goal is to deadlift 2xbodyweight. Someday. My shortterm goal
was to DL 1xbodyweight. I'm hoping I can get that in the next month...
I'm SOOO close I can taste it.

Anna
--
Now I understand why people drop the bar... Glad I got those pads last
time I was at Decathlon.

bunnyKilla
September 22nd 04, 11:07 PM
Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:
> I deadlifted 56 kg today!
>
> I'm female with a bodyweight of 62kg and I've been doing various
> weightlifting off and on for a couple years, but never really got into
> deadlifts much until this June when I had a decent trainer who could
> watch my form and tell me what I was doing right and wrong - I was
> scared to go heavy without having someone reassure me that I was using
> proper form.
>
> Last night, I kept dreaming about my deadlift workout today. So I was
> kinda psyched when I started. After my warmup set of 30kg, and a workset
> of 46kg, I tried for 60kg (mostly for kicks), but couldn't get it to
> budge. Dropped it to 56 and it still wouldn't move. But, I didn't give up.
>
> I dropped back to 46 kg (2 10-kg plates, on a 6kg bar), got 6 reps, then
> added 2 2kg plates to bring it up to 50kg, cranked out 4 reps. I took
> off the 2kg plates and added 2 5kg plates. The first attempt didn't go
> anywhere. I rested a few minutes, stretched a bit, then tried again -
> and it sorta started to move.... So I rested briefly, squatted down,
> took a few deep breaths and blew em out, then told myself, "I'm gonna
> ****in DO this!" and pulled and got the bar to start and once it was
> moving, I was able to stand up and lock it out! YES!!!
>
> I am really jazzed about this. It felt SO kewl to be working with a
> weight that heavy. I've never done that before! I wanna celebrate by
> going out to buy two 25kg plates. [big grin]
>
> My longterm goal is to deadlift 2xbodyweight. Someday. My shortterm goal
> was to DL 1xbodyweight. I'm hoping I can get that in the next month...
> I'm SOOO close I can taste it.
>
> Anna
> --
> Now I understand why people drop the bar... Glad I got those pads last
> time I was at Decathlon.

Excellent stuff, well done. Goodluck in achieving your bodyweight
deadlift too.

Bunnykilla

Steve Freides
September 22nd 04, 11:27 PM
"Anna Martelli Ravenscroft" > wrote in message
>I deadlifted 56 kg today!
>
> I'm female with a bodyweight of 62kg and I've been doing various
> weightlifting off and on for a couple years, but never really got into
> deadlifts much until this June when I had a decent trainer who could
> watch my form and tell me what I was doing right and wrong - I was
> scared to go heavy without having someone reassure me that I was using
> proper form.
>
> Last night, I kept dreaming about my deadlift workout today. So I was
> kinda psyched when I started. After my warmup set of 30kg, and a
> workset of 46kg, I tried for 60kg (mostly for kicks), but couldn't get
> it to budge. Dropped it to 56 and it still wouldn't move. But, I
> didn't give up.
>
> I dropped back to 46 kg (2 10-kg plates, on a 6kg bar), got 6 reps,
> then added 2 2kg plates to bring it up to 50kg, cranked out 4 reps. I
> took off the 2kg plates and added 2 5kg plates. The first attempt
> didn't go anywhere. I rested a few minutes, stretched a bit, then
> tried again - and it sorta started to move.... So I rested briefly,
> squatted down, took a few deep breaths and blew em out, then told
> myself, "I'm gonna ****in DO this!" and pulled and got the bar to
> start and once it was moving, I was able to stand up and lock it out!
> YES!!!
>
> I am really jazzed about this. It felt SO kewl to be working with a
> weight that heavy. I've never done that before! I wanna celebrate by
> going out to buy two 25kg plates. [big grin]
>
> My longterm goal is to deadlift 2xbodyweight. Someday. My shortterm
> goal was to DL 1xbodyweight. I'm hoping I can get that in the next
> month... I'm SOOO close I can taste it.

Excellent! I'm sure bodyweight and more will come in the near future
for you - keep up the good work.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> Anna
> --
> Now I understand why people drop the bar... Glad I got those pads last
> time I was at Decathlon.

Kathy Marie
September 23rd 04, 12:53 AM
"Anna Martelli Ravenscroft" wrote in message
> I deadlifted 56 kg today!
<snip>
> and it sorta started to move.... So I rested briefly, squatted down,
> took a few deep breaths and blew em out, then told myself, "I'm gonna
> ****in DO this!" and pulled and got the bar to start and once it was
> moving, I was able to stand up and lock it out! YES!!!
>
> I am really jazzed about this. It felt SO kewl to be working with a
> weight that heavy. I've never done that before! I wanna celebrate by
> going out to buy two 25kg plates. [big grin]
>
> My longterm goal is to deadlift 2xbodyweight. Someday. My shortterm goal
> was to DL 1xbodyweight. I'm hoping I can get that in the next month...
> I'm SOOO close I can taste it.

Anna, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

Kathy Marie
in Wisconsin, hoping her post gets through....

Lee Michaels
September 23rd 04, 12:56 AM
"Anna Martelli Ravenscroft" > wrote

> I deadlifted 56 kg today!

<snip>

Congrats Anna.

Is it true that European weights are easier to lift than 'merican weights?

John Hanson
September 23rd 04, 03:13 AM
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:25:26 GMT, Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>I deadlifted 56 kg today!
>
>I'm female with a bodyweight of 62kg and I've been doing various
>weightlifting off and on for a couple years, but never really got into
>deadlifts much until this June when I had a decent trainer who could
>watch my form and tell me what I was doing right and wrong - I was
>scared to go heavy without having someone reassure me that I was using
>proper form.
>
>Last night, I kept dreaming about my deadlift workout today. So I was
>kinda psyched when I started. After my warmup set of 30kg, and a workset
>of 46kg, I tried for 60kg (mostly for kicks), but couldn't get it to
>budge. Dropped it to 56 and it still wouldn't move. But, I didn't give up.
>
>I dropped back to 46 kg (2 10-kg plates, on a 6kg bar), got 6 reps, then
>added 2 2kg plates to bring it up to 50kg, cranked out 4 reps. I took
>off the 2kg plates and added 2 5kg plates. The first attempt didn't go
>anywhere. I rested a few minutes, stretched a bit, then tried again -
>and it sorta started to move.... So I rested briefly, squatted down,
>took a few deep breaths and blew em out, then told myself, "I'm gonna
>****in DO this!" and pulled and got the bar to start and once it was
>moving, I was able to stand up and lock it out! YES!!!

Great job!

>I am really jazzed about this. It felt SO kewl to be working with a
>weight that heavy. I've never done that before! I wanna celebrate by
>going out to buy two 25kg plates. [big grin]
>
>My longterm goal is to deadlift 2xbodyweight. Someday. My shortterm goal
>was to DL 1xbodyweight. I'm hoping I can get that in the next month...
>I'm SOOO close I can taste it.

I have no doubt you'll get both of your goals.

Helgi Briem
September 23rd 04, 11:11 AM
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:25:26 GMT, Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
> wrote:

>I deadlifted 56 kg today!

Good job! Way to go!

>My longterm goal is to deadlift 2xbodyweight. Someday. My
>shortterm goal was to DL 1xbodyweight. I'm hoping I can
>get that in the next month... I'm SOOO close I can taste it.

I'm sure you'll get both eventually.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Dally
September 23rd 04, 01:57 PM
Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:

> I deadlifted 56 kg today!

Good for you. It's nice to lift heavy things, isn't it? (And nice to
hang out with people who understand that.)

Dally

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
September 23rd 04, 05:56 PM
Lee Michaels wrote:

> "Anna Martelli Ravenscroft" > wrote
>

>>I deadlifted 56 kg today!
>>

> <snip>
>
> Congrats Anna.
>
> Is it true that European weights are easier to lift than 'merican weights?

That may have been true back in the good ol' days. Nowadays, I think
they're all made in China anyways... Anyways - these weights were just
as stubborn as the ones I remember in the US.

I've noticed though, that I hardly ever wonder whether that noise
outside is fireworks or firearms...

Anna

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
September 23rd 04, 06:09 PM
Dally wrote:

> Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:
>
>> I deadlifted 56 kg today!
>

> Good for you. It's nice to lift heavy things, isn't it? (And nice to
> hang out with people who understand that.)

Oh yeah. It's nice to have folks here not give me a hard time about
being a wimp too... (although I'm not as much as a wimp as I used to be!)

My DH, while supportive, didn't understand why I would want to celebrate
by going out to buy MORE weights! His response was, "isn't lifting your
bodyweight enough?" I explained my longterm goal and he asked "is that a
reasonable goal?" I pointed out that for deadlift, it's pretty common
for folks to lift 3, 4 or more x their bodyweight. He didn't realy get
it, but he likes the results so he's quite fine going along with it.

My Trainer was pretty kewl about it this summer - I actually found a
good one! He was telling me about the joys of squatting until you get
spaghetti legs and how hard it is to find someone who understands why
that might be a Good Thing. ;-) He gave me some really great tips and a
reasonable program that sounded a LOT like the kind of thing that you
guys here talk about... Obviously, it's helping. (I don't spend my time
doing a lot of ****e - a few focused assistance exercises on things I
actually *need* to work on... and a decent cycle of sets/reps. It's
great! I've modified it with Lyle's suggestion to do a deload the week
of my period, and that seems to fit really well with it.)

Now if I could just do better about getting enough protein... Hrmmm -
question: is it just as important to get the protein on the non-lifting
days? On lifting days, I have been managing around 90-100 grams of
protein a day - that includes a protein shake right after workout... But
on non-lifting days... I don't generally have the shake, so I often am
getting only around 60 grams of protein... Should I be pushing to get
more on the rest days too?

Thanks,
Anna

Will
September 23rd 04, 06:50 PM
In article >,
Anna Martelli Ravenscroft > wrote:

> Dally wrote:
>
> > Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:
> >
> >> I deadlifted 56 kg today!
> >

> > Good for you. It's nice to lift heavy things, isn't it? (And nice to
> > hang out with people who understand that.)
>
> Oh yeah. It's nice to have folks here not give me a hard time about
> being a wimp too... (although I'm not as much as a wimp as I used to be!)
>
> My DH, while supportive, didn't understand why I would want to celebrate
> by going out to buy MORE weights! His response was, "isn't lifting your
> bodyweight enough?" I explained my longterm goal and he asked "is that a
> reasonable goal?" I pointed out that for deadlift, it's pretty common
> for folks to lift 3, 4 or more x their bodyweight.

I don't know about that. Actually I do. It's not very common at all.
4x is prettty much unheard of except for the very best deadlifters,
often anatomical freaks, and only at the lighter bodyweights. More than
4x, no way.

Even 3x is pretty unusual, approaching State Record territory.
Especially for a larger person.

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
September 23rd 04, 11:12 PM
Will wrote:

> In article >,
> Anna Martelli Ravenscroft > wrote:
>

>>Dally wrote:

>>>Good for you. It's nice to lift heavy things, isn't it? (And nice to
>>>hang out with people who understand that.)
>>
>>Oh yeah. It's nice to have folks here not give me a hard time about
>>being a wimp too... (although I'm not as much as a wimp as I used to be!)
>>
>>My DH, while supportive, didn't understand why I would want to celebrate
>>by going out to buy MORE weights! His response was, "isn't lifting your
>>bodyweight enough?" I explained my longterm goal and he asked "is that a
>>reasonable goal?" I pointed out that for deadlift, it's pretty common
>>for folks to lift 3, 4 or more x their bodyweight.
>

> I don't know about that. Actually I do. It's not very common at all.
> 4x is prettty much unheard of except for the very best deadlifters,
> often anatomical freaks, and only at the lighter bodyweights. More than
> 4x, no way.
>
> Even 3x is pretty unusual, approaching State Record territory.
> Especially for a larger person.

Okay - well... I was mostly trying to get him used to the idea that I
wanted to lift something heavy. I don't expect *I'll* ever get anywhere
near that kind of range... but, 2x didn't seem completely outrageous to
me. Of course, I could be (and often am) wrong...

So what is a "normal" "average" kind of deadlift range in terms of
bodyweight?

Anna

Will
September 24th 04, 02:23 AM
In article >,
Anna Martelli Ravenscroft > wrote:

> Will wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Anna Martelli Ravenscroft > wrote:

> >>Oh yeah. It's nice to have folks here not give me a hard time about
> >>being a wimp too... (although I'm not as much as a wimp as I used to be!)
> >>
> >>My DH, while supportive, didn't understand why I would want to celebrate
> >>by going out to buy MORE weights! His response was, "isn't lifting your
> >>bodyweight enough?" I explained my longterm goal and he asked "is that a
> >>reasonable goal?" I pointed out that for deadlift, it's pretty common
> >>for folks to lift 3, 4 or more x their bodyweight.
> >

> > I don't know about that. Actually I do. It's not very common at all.
> > 4x is prettty much unheard of except for the very best deadlifters,
> > often anatomical freaks, and only at the lighter bodyweights. More than
> > 4x, no way.
> >
> > Even 3x is pretty unusual, approaching State Record territory.
> > Especially for a larger person.
>

> Okay - well... I was mostly trying to get him used to the idea that I
> wanted to lift something heavy. I don't expect *I'll* ever get anywhere
> near that kind of range... but, 2x didn't seem completely outrageous to
> me. Of course, I could be (and often am) wrong...
>
> So what is a "normal" "average" kind of deadlift range in terms of
> bodyweight?
>
> Anna

Normal for untrained? No idea, probably a bit less than bodyweight.

2xBW with training is very doable.

Bryce Lane throws out some figures for a male under 220 lbs...

1.5xBW is nothin to be ashamed of
2xBW is Fit Guy
2.75xBW is Animal
3.5xBW is Holy S**T!

figure a bit less for women, maybe, although deadlifts seem to lag the
least (among the power lifts) between the sexes

I dunno, I think Bryce's deadlift numbers are a little high or his bench
numbers are a little low. Even without a shirt, I'm just about an
Animal bencher but I have a long way to go to be an Animal puller
regardless of gear. But I'm built to bench rather than pull (short
arms) and I'm closer to 242 lbs, which tends to help the bench relative
to the pull.

Will
September 24th 04, 02:24 AM
In article >,
Will > wrote:

> In article >,
> Anna Martelli Ravenscroft > wrote:
>
> > Will wrote:

> > > I don't know about that. Actually I do. It's not very common at all.
> > > 4x is prettty much unheard of except for the very best deadlifters,
> > > often anatomical freaks, and only at the lighter bodyweights. More than
> > > 4x, no way.
> > >
> > > Even 3x is pretty unusual, approaching State Record territory.
> > > Especially for a larger person.
> >

> > Okay - well... I was mostly trying to get him used to the idea that I
> > wanted to lift something heavy. I don't expect *I'll* ever get anywhere
> > near that kind of range... but, 2x didn't seem completely outrageous to
> > me. Of course, I could be (and often am) wrong...
> >
> > So what is a "normal" "average" kind of deadlift range in terms of
> > bodyweight?
> >
> > Anna
>
> Normal for untrained? No idea, probably a bit less than bodyweight.
>
> 2xBW with training is very doable.
>
> Bryce Lane throws out some figures for a male under 220 lbs...

Forgot to post the link.

http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/hwgdami.htm

John Hanson
September 24th 04, 02:56 AM
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:23:08 -0700, Will >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >,
> Anna Martelli Ravenscroft > wrote:
>
>> Will wrote:

>> > I don't know about that. Actually I do. It's not very common at all.
>> > 4x is prettty much unheard of except for the very best deadlifters,
>> > often anatomical freaks, and only at the lighter bodyweights. More than
>> > 4x, no way.
>> >
>> > Even 3x is pretty unusual, approaching State Record territory.
>> > Especially for a larger person.
>>

>> Okay - well... I was mostly trying to get him used to the idea that I
>> wanted to lift something heavy. I don't expect *I'll* ever get anywhere
>> near that kind of range... but, 2x didn't seem completely outrageous to
>> me. Of course, I could be (and often am) wrong...
>>
>> So what is a "normal" "average" kind of deadlift range in terms of
>> bodyweight?
>>
>> Anna
>
>Normal for untrained? No idea, probably a bit less than bodyweight.
>
>2xBW with training is very doable.
>
>Bryce Lane throws out some figures for a male under 220 lbs...
>
>1.5xBW is nothin to be ashamed of
>2xBW is Fit Guy
>2.75xBW is Animal
>3.5xBW is Holy S**T!
>
>figure a bit less for women, maybe, although deadlifts seem to lag the
>least (among the power lifts) between the sexes

Jenn Maile is way beyond Holy **** then. She did 403 @ 105 which is
over 3.8xBW which is not only a women's open world record, it's also a
women's sub-junior world record. I think she was only 15 or 16 when
she set it. Unfortunately, she was injured in a car accident last
year but I think she has since deadlifted around 380 in a meet.

>I dunno, I think Bryce's deadlift numbers are a little high or his bench
>numbers are a little low. Even without a shirt, I'm just about an
>Animal bencher but I have a long way to go to be an Animal puller
>regardless of gear. But I'm built to bench rather than pull (short
>arms) and I'm closer to 242 lbs, which tends to help the bench relative
>to the pull.

Will
September 24th 04, 03:51 AM
In article >,
John Hanson > wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:23:08 -0700, Will >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >In article >,
> > Anna Martelli Ravenscroft > wrote:

> >> Okay - well... I was mostly trying to get him used to the idea that I
> >> wanted to lift something heavy. I don't expect *I'll* ever get anywhere
> >> near that kind of range... but, 2x didn't seem completely outrageous to
> >> me. Of course, I could be (and often am) wrong...
> >>
> >> So what is a "normal" "average" kind of deadlift range in terms of
> >> bodyweight?
> >>
> >> Anna
> >
> >Normal for untrained? No idea, probably a bit less than bodyweight.
> >
> >2xBW with training is very doable.
> >
> >Bryce Lane throws out some figures for a male under 220 lbs...
> >
> >1.5xBW is nothin to be ashamed of
> >2xBW is Fit Guy
> >2.75xBW is Animal
> >3.5xBW is Holy S**T!
> >
> >figure a bit less for women, maybe, although deadlifts seem to lag the
> >least (among the power lifts) between the sexes
>
> Jenn Maile is way beyond Holy **** then.

Certainly. The Holy **** numbers don't look unatainable for lifts the
lifter is anatomically suited for. Like I said, I expect to hit a Holy
**** bench, albeit shirted, within a year. But that doesn't mean most
trainers will ever come close.

>She did 403 @ 105 which is
> over 3.8xBW which is not only a women's open world record, it's also a
> women's sub-junior world record. I think she was only 15 or 16 when
> she set it. Unfortunately, she was injured in a car accident last
> year but I think she has since deadlifted around 380 in a meet.

Well, strength:weight ratios do tend to peak at a low age. Being short
also really helps.

John Hanson
September 24th 04, 04:01 AM
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:51:20 -0700, Will >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >,
> John Hanson > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:23:08 -0700, Will >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> >Normal for untrained? No idea, probably a bit less than bodyweight.
>> >
>> >2xBW with training is very doable.
>> >
>> >Bryce Lane throws out some figures for a male under 220 lbs...
>> >
>> >1.5xBW is nothin to be ashamed of
>> >2xBW is Fit Guy
>> >2.75xBW is Animal
>> >3.5xBW is Holy S**T!
>> >
>> >figure a bit less for women, maybe, although deadlifts seem to lag the
>> >least (among the power lifts) between the sexes
>>
>> Jenn Maile is way beyond Holy **** then.
>
>Certainly. The Holy **** numbers don't look unatainable for lifts the
>lifter is anatomically suited for. Like I said, I expect to hit a Holy
>**** bench, albeit shirted, within a year. But that doesn't mean most
>trainers will ever come close.

Like me.

>>She did 403 @ 105 which is
>> over 3.8xBW which is not only a women's open world record, it's also a
>> women's sub-junior world record. I think she was only 15 or 16 when
>> she set it. Unfortunately, she was injured in a car accident last
>> year but I think she has since deadlifted around 380 in a meet.
>

>Well, strength:weight ratios do tend to peak at a low age. Being short
>also really helps.

The amazing thing is that she has sub-junior bench world record too.

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
September 24th 04, 07:29 PM
Will wrote:
> In article >,
> Anna Martelli Ravenscroft > wrote:
>

>>Will wrote:

>>>I don't know about that. Actually I do. It's not very common at all.
>>>4x is prettty much unheard of except for the very best deadlifters,
>>>often anatomical freaks, and only at the lighter bodyweights. More than
>>>4x, no way.
>>>
>>>Even 3x is pretty unusual, approaching State Record territory.
>>>Especially for a larger person.
>>

>>Okay - well... I was mostly trying to get him used to the idea that I
>>wanted to lift something heavy. I don't expect *I'll* ever get anywhere
>>near that kind of range... but, 2x didn't seem completely outrageous to
>>me. Of course, I could be (and often am) wrong...
>>
>>So what is a "normal" "average" kind of deadlift range in terms of
>>bodyweight?
>>
>>Anna
>

> Normal for untrained? No idea, probably a bit less than bodyweight.
>
> 2xBW with training is very doable.
>
> Bryce Lane throws out some figures for a male under 220 lbs...
>
> 1.5xBW is nothin to be ashamed of
> 2xBW is Fit Guy
> 2.75xBW is Animal
> 3.5xBW is Holy S**T!
>
> figure a bit less for women, maybe, although deadlifts seem to lag the
> least (among the power lifts) between the sexes
>
> I dunno, I think Bryce's deadlift numbers are a little high or his bench
> numbers are a little low. Even without a shirt, I'm just about an
> Animal bencher but I have a long way to go to be an Animal puller
> regardless of gear. But I'm built to bench rather than pull (short
> arms) and I'm closer to 242 lbs, which tends to help the bench relative
> to the pull.

Thanks for the info - it gives me some idea of how reasonable my goals
are. FWIW - my current goals are:

Deadlift: 1.5
Squat: 1
Bench: .75

When and if I hit those, I'll think about what to do for my next
trick... ;-)

Anna