PDA

View Full Version : Strict HST?

Frederick
September 23rd 04, 10:11 AM
Instead of doing increased poundages every workout, I try and do some weight
which at the start I can't do 15/10/5 of and try and get to that amount of
reps with that amount of weight. Is this good or will it lead to
overtraining when doing it 3 times a week (Mon/Wed/Fri) ?

Is there that much difference in varying the poundages each workout and just
trying to do your best each time (within a rep range)? Am I likely to see
better gains with the varying poundage, or if my body can handle what I am
doing currently will I see better gains doing that?

I sometimes skip a workout if I am feeling too sore from the previous one,
which is why I am wondering if using the lighter poundages in increasing
weight will be more beneficial to me or not.

Stephen Mulholland
September 23rd 04, 11:56 AM
"Frederick" > wrote in message
> Instead of doing increased poundages every workout, I try and do some
weight
> which at the start I can't do 15/10/5 of and try and get to that amount of
> reps with that amount of weight. Is this good or will it lead to
> overtraining when doing it 3 times a week (Mon/Wed/Fri) ?

Just curious, Frederick - what does Bryan Haycock say on his website -
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com - regarding starting poundages and
progression etc?

Stephen

---

Frederick
September 23rd 04, 12:09 PM
"Stephen Mulholland" > wrote in message

> "Frederick" > wrote in message
> > Instead of doing increased poundages every workout, I try and do some
> weight
> > which at the start I can't do 15/10/5 of and try and get to that amount
of
> > reps with that amount of weight. Is this good or will it lead to
> > overtraining when doing it 3 times a week (Mon/Wed/Fri) ?
>
> Just curious, Frederick - what does Bryan Haycock say on his website -
> http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com - regarding starting poundages and
> progression etc?
>
> Stephen
>

> ---

I've read the site, I'm asking for the opinions of people on the group. :)

Wayne S. Hill
September 23rd 04, 01:42 PM
Frederick wrote:

> "Stephen Mulholland" wrote...
>> "Frederick" > wrote...
>> > Instead of doing increased poundages every workout, I try
>> > and do some weight which at the start I can't do 15/10/5
>> > of and try and get to that amount of reps with that
>> > amount of weight. Is this good or will it lead to
>> > overtraining when doing it 3 times a week (Mon/Wed/Fri) ?
>>
>> Just curious, Frederick - what does Bryan Haycock say on
>> his website - http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com -
>> regarding starting poundages and progression etc?
>
> I've read the site, I'm asking for the opinions of people on
> the group. :)

Part of what makes HST work is the submaximal nature of the
starting weights. If you pick a weight and beat your head against
it trying to get 15 reps, then pick a new weight and beat your
head against that trying to get 10 reps, and so forth, your
average intensity will be significantly higher than in HST. This
might work for some people for a single cycle, but it probably is
not sustainable over the long haul.

--
-Wayne

Hugh Beyer
September 23rd 04, 03:52 PM
"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in news:[email protected]
127.0.0.1:

> Frederick wrote:
>
>> "Stephen Mulholland" wrote...
>>> "Frederick" > wrote...
>>>
>>> Just curious, Frederick - what does Bryan Haycock say on
>>> his website - http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com -
>>> regarding starting poundages and progression etc?
>>
>> I've read the site, I'm asking for the opinions of people on
>> the group. :)
>
> Part of what makes HST work is the submaximal nature of the
> starting weights. If you pick a weight and beat your head against
> it trying to get 15 reps, then pick a new weight and beat your
> head against that trying to get 10 reps, and so forth, your
> average intensity will be significantly higher than in HST. This
> might work for some people for a single cycle, but it probably is
> not sustainable over the long haul.

What Wayne said. What you're suggesting has nothing to do with HST.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Lee Michaels
September 23rd 04, 04:01 PM
"Wayne S. Hill" wrote

> Frederick wrote:
>
> > "Stephen Mulholland" wrote...
> >> "Frederick" > wrote...
> >>
> >> Just curious, Frederick - what does Bryan Haycock say on
> >> his website - http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com -
> >> regarding starting poundages and progression etc?
> >
> > I've read the site, I'm asking for the opinions of people on
> > the group. :)
>
> Part of what makes HST work is the submaximal nature of the
> starting weights. If you pick a weight and beat your head against
> it trying to get 15 reps, then pick a new weight and beat your
> head against that trying to get 10 reps, and so forth, your
> average intensity will be significantly higher than in HST. This
> might work for some people for a single cycle, but it probably is
> not sustainable over the long haul.

And part of the reason that many people do NOT get good results from HST is
because the do not follow the program. In fact many folks go to great
lengths to modify the program to the degree that failure is absolutely
assured.

There is a certain philosophy behind it. There is a scientific basis for it.
Give it a try. Give it a fair chance. Even if it didn't work for you, you
gave it a shot.

But if you change it very much at all, it ain't HST. It is just *******ized,
moronic program that a failure oriented individual managed to mutate into
existence.

bc
September 23rd 04, 08:06 PM
"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message >...
> Frederick wrote:
>
> > "Stephen Mulholland" wrote...
> >> "Frederick" > wrote...
> >>
> >> Just curious, Frederick - what does Bryan Haycock say on
> >> his website - http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com -
> >> regarding starting poundages and progression etc?
> >
> > I've read the site, I'm asking for the opinions of people on
> > the group. :)
>
> Part of what makes HST work is the submaximal nature of the
> starting weights. If you pick a weight and beat your head against
> it trying to get 15 reps, then pick a new weight and beat your
> head against that trying to get 10 reps, and so forth, your
> average intensity will be significantly higher than in HST. This
> might work for some people for a single cycle, but it probably is
> not sustainable over the long haul.

My head hurts just thinking about it :)

- bc