PDA

View Full Version : Elevated CPK

ignorcrew
September 23rd 04, 03:18 PM
Hey folks,

Anyone has a good idea what range of levels of CPK is normal for a
weightlifter?

My husband's is in the 700 range. He runs every day and weightlifts 3
times a week. He does not have any weakness anywhere so muscular
degenerative disorders are not likely, but I guess it's still
possible.

Any clue anyone?

P.S. Yes, I do realize that seeing a doc is always a good idea.

Lyle McDonald
September 24th 04, 06:51 PM
ignorcrew wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Anyone has a good idea what range of levels of CPK is normal for a
> weightlifter?
>
> My husband's is in the 700 range. He runs every day and weightlifts 3
> times a week. He does not have any weakness anywhere so muscular
> degenerative disorders are not likely, but I guess it's still
> possible.
>
> Any clue anyone?
>
> P.S. Yes, I do realize that seeing a doc is always a good idea.

No telling. As I recall, weight training elevates CPK from the muscle
damage though so increased levels are 'normal' under those conditions.

Lyle

David Cohen
September 24th 04, 11:25 PM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote
> ignorcrew wrote:
>
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > Anyone has a good idea what range of levels of CPK is normal for a
> > weightlifter?
> >
> > My husband's is in the 700 range. He runs every day and weightlifts 3
> > times a week. He does not have any weakness anywhere so muscular
> > degenerative disorders are not likely, but I guess it's still
> > possible.
> >
> > Any clue anyone?
> >
> > P.S. Yes, I do realize that seeing a doc is always a good idea.
>
> No telling. As I recall, weight training elevates CPK from the muscle
> damage though so increased levels are 'normal' under those conditions.

True. And determining the isoenzyme percentages would rule out a cardiac
problem. But what if, by horrible coincidence, a heavily weight training
individual, with thus "normally" elevated CPK, developed a pathological
condition that would raise the CPK? That would suck!

Luckily, deseases don't "raise a level" and nothing else, so, a competent MD
can easily differentiate the possible causes. Like the situation with
elevated creatinine from a high protein diet. As somebody once said, it
depends.

David