PDA

View Full Version : Your strongest body part

hellrazor
September 23rd 04, 11:20 PM
My strongest body part has to be my calves. When I was young I used to do
calf raises on a weekly basis so perhaps that was a catalyst. Currently I
can stack pretty much any machine I have ever come accross. The one at the
gym where I go regularly goes up to 500lbs, and I can do 25 reps easy
(knees semi-locked, tip toe, full extension). I add plates on top of it to
increase resistance, until I have placed 8 45lbs on top for a total of
860lbs. I am cheating a little bit on this one and I can only do 4 reps. My
goal is to get to 1000lbs, but I'll surely need a spotter, if only to watch
that the plates don't slide clear off the machine, as it's not supported.

what's your strongest proudest body part, or exercise?

Jim
September 24th 04, 12:04 AM
"hellrazor" > wrote in message
4.76...
> My strongest body part has to be my calves. When I was young I used to do
> calf raises on a weekly basis so perhaps that was a catalyst. Currently I
> can stack pretty much any machine I have ever come accross. The one at the
> gym where I go regularly goes up to 500lbs, and I can do 25 reps easy
> (knees semi-locked, tip toe, full extension). I add plates on top of it to
> increase resistance, until I have placed 8 45lbs on top for a total of
> 860lbs. I am cheating a little bit on this one and I can only do 4 reps.
My
> goal is to get to 1000lbs, but I'll surely need a spotter, if only to
watch
> that the plates don't slide clear off the machine, as it's not supported.
>
> what's your strongest proudest body part, or exercise?

My calves also..they are just naturally big and strong. Funny,because I'm a
lanky 6' 180 lbs with long legs.
36" inseam.

Jim

MJL
September 24th 04, 04:08 AM
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:20:37 GMT, hellrazor >
wrote:

>My strongest body part has to be my calves. When I was young I used to do
>calf raises on a weekly basis so perhaps that was a catalyst. Currently I
>can stack pretty much any machine I have ever come accross. The one at the
>gym where I go regularly goes up to 500lbs, and I can do 25 reps easy
>(knees semi-locked, tip toe, full extension). I add plates on top of it to
>increase resistance, until I have placed 8 45lbs on top for a total of
>860lbs. I am cheating a little bit on this one and I can only do 4 reps. My
>goal is to get to 1000lbs, but I'll surely need a spotter, if only to watch
>that the plates don't slide clear off the machine, as it's not supported.

Dude, you're risking ripping your Achilles tendon right off the bone
for very little benefit.

--
http://www.texansfortruth.org/

Rural living is good living
September 24th 04, 05:23 AM
>The one at the
>>gym where I go regularly goes up to 500lbs, and I can do 25 reps easy
>>(knees semi-locked, tip toe, full extension). I add plates on top of it to
>>increase resistance, until I have placed 8 45lbs on top for a total of
>>860lbs. I am cheating a little bit on this one and I can only do 4 reps. My
>>goal is to get to 1000lbs, but I'll surely need a spotter, if only to watch
>>that the plates don't slide clear off the machine, as it's not supported.
>
>Dude, you're risking ripping your Achilles tendon right off the bone
>for very little benefit.

How is that?

Tired of corrupt politicians and busybodies trying to run your life, family,
and property? Want real freedom?
Visit http://www.freestateproject.com

Art S
September 24th 04, 05:42 AM
"hellrazor" > wrote in message
4.76...
> My strongest body part has to be my calves. When I was young I used to do
> calf raises on a weekly basis so perhaps that was a catalyst. Currently I
> can stack pretty much any machine I have ever come accross. The one at the
> gym where I go regularly goes up to 500lbs, and I can do 25 reps easy
> (knees semi-locked, tip toe, full extension). I add plates on top of it to
> increase resistance, until I have placed 8 45lbs on top for a total of
> 860lbs. I am cheating a little bit on this one and I can only do 4 reps. My
> goal is to get to 1000lbs, but I'll surely need a spotter, if only to watch
> that the plates don't slide clear off the machine, as it's not supported.

You might want to take a closer look at the machine.

Almost all of the standing calf raise machines (which is what you seem
to be talking about, since you can stack weights on it in addition to the
stack) use a lever so that your shoulders (and, presumably, your heels)
move approximately twice as far as the weights (so if your heels move
a total of 6 inches up and down, the weights move somewhere around
3 inches), giving you a 2:1 mechanical advantage.

If that is the case, stop using the standing calf machine and switch
to the s**** machine. I am stacking a couple 35lb plates to stand on
(the 25's don't have a long enough straight edge to support my feet
properly). Don't forget to determine what your new max is. (start
low - like 25% of what you can do on the standing calf machine.
Expect your new max to be in the general neighborhood of 50% of
what you do on the standing calf machine.).

Art

Bob Falooley
September 24th 04, 04:33 PM
Jim wrote:

> "hellrazor" > wrote in message
> 4.76...
>> My strongest body part has to be my calves. When I was young I used to do
>> calf raises on a weekly basis so perhaps that was a catalyst. Currently I
>> can stack pretty much any machine I have ever come accross. The one at
>> the gym where I go regularly goes up to 500lbs, and I can do 25 reps easy
>> (knees semi-locked, tip toe, full extension). I add plates on top of it
>> to increase resistance, until I have placed 8 45lbs on top for a total of
>> 860lbs. I am cheating a little bit on this one and I can only do 4 reps.
> My
>> goal is to get to 1000lbs, but I'll surely need a spotter, if only to
> watch
>> that the plates don't slide clear off the machine, as it's not supported.
>>
>> what's your strongest proudest body part, or exercise?
>>
> My calves also..they are just naturally big and strong. Funny,because I'm
> a lanky 6' 180 lbs with long legs.
> 36" inseam.
>
> Jim

6' with 36" inseam, you freak. I am ~6'2" with 32"

--Falooley

hellrazor
September 24th 04, 05:21 PM
"Art S" > wrote in
:

> "hellrazor" > wrote in message
> 4.76...
>> My strongest body part has to be my calves. When I was young I used
>> to do calf raises on a weekly basis so perhaps that was a catalyst.
>> Currently I can stack pretty much any machine I have ever come
>> accross. The one at the gym where I go regularly goes up to 500lbs,
>> and I can do 25 reps easy (knees semi-locked, tip toe, full
>> extension). I add plates on top of it to increase resistance, until I
>> have placed 8 45lbs on top for a total of 860lbs. I am cheating a
>> little bit on this one and I can only do 4 reps. My goal is to get to
>> 1000lbs, but I'll surely need a spotter, if only to watch that the
>> plates don't slide clear off the machine, as it's not supported.
>>

> You might want to take a closer look at the machine.
>
> Almost all of the standing calf raise machines (which is what you seem
> to be talking about, since you can stack weights on it in addition to
> the stack) use a lever so that your shoulders (and, presumably, your
> heels) move approximately twice as far as the weights (so if your
> heels move a total of 6 inches up and down, the weights move somewhere
> around 3 inches), giving you a 2:1 mechanical advantage.
>
> If that is the case, stop using the standing calf machine and switch
> to the s**** machine. I am stacking a couple 35lb plates to stand on
> (the 25's don't have a long enough straight edge to support my feet
> properly). Don't forget to determine what your new max is. (start
> low - like 25% of what you can do on the standing calf machine.
> Expect your new max to be in the general neighborhood of 50% of
> what you do on the standing calf machine.).
>
> Art

You are right about that.. I'll start doing the sitting calf machine from
now on. I know the standing calf machine gives me a mechanical advantage
but it's good for stroking my ego ;)

Kevin J
September 24th 04, 06:46 PM

:

>> "hellrazor" > wrote in message
>> 4.76...
>>> My strongest body part has to be my calves. When I was young I used
>>> to do calf raises on a weekly basis so perhaps that was a catalyst.
>>> Currently I can stack pretty much any machine I have ever come
>>> accross. The one at the gym where I go regularly goes up to 500lbs,
>>> and I can do 25 reps easy (knees semi-locked, tip toe, full
>>> extension). I add plates on top of it to increase resistance, until I
>>> have placed 8 45lbs on top for a total of 860lbs. I am cheating a
>>> little bit on this one and I can only do 4 reps. My goal is to get to
>>> 1000lbs, but I'll surely need a spotter, if only to watch that the
>>> plates don't slide clear off the machine, as it's not supported.
>>>

>> You might want to take a closer look at the machine.
>>
>> Almost all of the standing calf raise machines (which is what you seem
>> to be talking about, since you can stack weights on it in addition to
>> the stack) use a lever so that your shoulders (and, presumably, your
>> heels) move approximately twice as far as the weights (so if your
>> heels move a total of 6 inches up and down, the weights move somewhere
>> around 3 inches), giving you a 2:1 mechanical advantage.
>>
>> If that is the case, stop using the standing calf machine and switch
>> to the s**** machine. I am stacking a couple 35lb plates to stand on
>> (the 25's don't have a long enough straight edge to support my feet
>> properly). Don't forget to determine what your new max is. (start
>> low - like 25% of what you can do on the standing calf machine.
>> Expect your new max to be in the general neighborhood of 50% of
>> what you do on the standing calf machine.).
>>
>> Art
>>

>You are right about that.. I'll start doing the sitting calf machine from
>now on. I know the standing calf machine gives me a mechanical advantage
>but it's good for stroking my ego ;)

Sitting calf raises shift most of the focus to the soleus - the
standing focuses more on the gastroc. They really are not the same
excercise.

--
kj