PDA

View Full Version : HIT and Powerlifting

Publius Enigma
September 24th 04, 12:24 AM
Just wondering if any powerlifters here have had any experience with High
Intensity Training? I'd like to hear some advice! Thanks!

Pat Styles
September 24th 04, 12:52 AM
"Publius Enigma" > wrote in message
> Just wondering if any powerlifters here have had any experience with High
> Intensity Training? I'd like to hear some advice! Thanks!

Don't do it! You're welcome!
ps

Keith Hobman
September 24th 04, 12:57 AM
In article >, "Publius
Enigma" > wrote:

> Just wondering if any powerlifters here have had any experience with High
> Intensity Training? I'd like to hear some advice! Thanks!

What do you mean by 'High Intensity Training'?

Are you talking Mentzer/Jones/Darden one set to perceived failure done
once or twice per week? Or something else.

John Hanson
September 24th 04, 02:28 AM
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:24:32 GMT, "Publius Enigma"
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>Just wondering if any powerlifters here have had any experience with High
>Intensity Training? I'd like to hear some advice! Thanks!

It's a common training techniques used by powerlifters when they get
too strong and want to lower their totals.

Wayne S. Hill
September 24th 04, 03:01 AM
John Hanson wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:24:32 GMT, "Publius Enigma"
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>Just wondering if any powerlifters here have had any
>>experience with High Intensity Training? I'd like to hear
>>some advice! Thanks!
>>
> It's a common training techniques used by powerlifters when
> they get too strong and want to lower their totals.

Doh! Beat me to it.

--
-Wayne

Helgi Briem
September 24th 04, 11:06 AM
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:24:32 GMT, "Publius Enigma"
> wrote:

>Just wondering if any powerlifters here have had any experience with High
>Intensity Training? I'd like to hear some advice! Thanks!

It's very good if you don't want to get too big and too strong.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

No Frills
September 24th 04, 03:49 PM
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:24:32 GMT, "Publius Enigma"
> wrote:

>Just wondering if any powerlifters here have had any experience with High
>Intensity Training? I'd like to hear some advice! Thanks!

HIT is the best thing since trap bars.

Kromagnon
October 2nd 04, 12:53 AM
Publius Enigma wrote:
> Just wondering if any powerlifters here have had any
experience
> with High Intensity Training? I'd like to hear some advice!
Thanks!

Since powerlifting is intense by itself I'll assume you're
talking about cardio. Yes you should do cardio even if you
powerlift. HIIT is better than long drawn out cardio. I don't
do cardio the day before heavy lowerbody/legs and I don't do
cardio immediately after legs.

Doing cardio will NOT make you weaker and it's not used by
lifters to reduce the amount they can lift :), as suggested by
some others. Don't do five 45 minute sessions a week though. I
do either 20 min of HIIT 3 times/week or 3-30 min
sessions/week. Mix it up but don't avoid it.

I lift competitively and have been doing so for approx. 11
years.

John Hanson
October 2nd 04, 03:17 AM
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:53:51 -0700, "Kromagnon" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>Publius Enigma wrote:
>> Just wondering if any powerlifters here have had any
>experience
>> with High Intensity Training? I'd like to hear some advice!
>Thanks!
>
>Since powerlifting is intense by itself I'll assume you're
>talking about cardio. Yes you should do cardio even if you
>powerlift. HIIT is better than long drawn out cardio. I don't
>do cardio the day before heavy lowerbody/legs and I don't do
>cardio immediately after legs.
>
>Doing cardio will NOT make you weaker and it's not used by
>lifters to reduce the amount they can lift :), as suggested by
>some others. Don't do five 45 minute sessions a week though. I
>do either 20 min of HIIT 3 times/week or 3-30 min
>sessions/week. Mix it up but don't avoid it.
>
>I lift competitively and have been doing so for approx. 11
>years.

So what is your name?

Kromagnon
October 2nd 04, 03:42 AM
John Hanson wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:24:32 GMT, "Publius Enigma"
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>> Just wondering if any powerlifters here have had any
experience
>> with High Intensity Training? I'd like to hear some
advice!
>> Thanks!
>>
> It's a common training techniques used by powerlifters when
they get
> too strong and want to lower their totals.

Nonsense.

Hugh Beyer
October 2nd 04, 04:06 AM
"Kromagnon" > wrote in news:bcudnaMy_JSwc8DcRVn-
:

> Publius Enigma wrote:
>> Just wondering if any powerlifters here have had any experience with
>> High Intensity Training? I'd like to hear some advice!
> Thanks!
>
> Since powerlifting is intense by itself I'll assume you're
> talking about cardio. Yes you should do cardio even if you
> powerlift. HIIT is better than long drawn out cardio. I don't
> do cardio the day before heavy lowerbody/legs and I don't do
> cardio immediately after legs.
>
> Doing cardio will NOT make you weaker and it's not used by
> lifters to reduce the amount they can lift :), as suggested by
> some others. Don't do five 45 minute sessions a week though. I
> do either 20 min of HIIT 3 times/week or 3-30 min
> sessions/week. Mix it up but don't avoid it.
>
> I lift competitively and have been doing so for approx. 11
> years.

Can you count I's?

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

KennyCrox
October 2nd 04, 02:38 PM
>>> Just wondering if any powerlifters here have had any
>experience
>>> with High Intensity Training? I'd like to hear some
>advice!
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>> It's a common training techniques used by powerlifters when
>they get
>> too strong and want to lower their totals.
>
>Nonsense.

His comment is meant to be a sorcastic one. LOL.

Kenny Croxdale

Helgi Briem
October 4th 04, 11:17 AM
On 02 Oct 2004 13:38:40 GMT, (KennyCrox) wrote:

>>> It's a common training techniques used by powerlifters when
>>>they get too strong and want to lower their totals.
>>
>>Nonsense.
>
>His comment is meant to be a sorcastic one. LOL.

No it's not. Training one set to failure is a good way
to become weaker.

Unless you're a complete beginner, in which case
anything will work to some extent.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

"Don't worry about it, son. God is just messing with your head."

John Hanson
October 4th 04, 02:18 PM
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 10:17:52 +0000, Helgi Briem
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>Nonsense.
>>
>>His comment is meant to be a sorcastic one. LOL.
>
>No it's not. Training one set to failure is a good way
>to become weaker.
>
>Unless you're a complete beginner, in which case
>anything will work to some extent.

It was sarcastic as no powerlifter ever wants to get weaker.