PDA

View Full Version : HST and volume

Clark
September 24th 04, 01:47 AM
I've been working out sporadically for the last year or so, but now
I'm ready to settle down and make a serious effort. I've read a lot of
material about the HST approach, and it sounds interesting. My only
concern is that it just doesn't seem to have enough volume. While
using HST principles of load and reps, I have increased the sets. I
put this routine together hoping to get some feedback from the more
experienced lifters in the group. All suggestions and hints will be
greatly appreciated.

One legged calf raises 4 sets
Squats 4 sets
Stiff legged deadlifts 3 sets
Bent over rows 3 sets
Barbell shrugs 3 sets
Bench presses 3 sets
Seated dumbbell curls 1 set
Seated dumbbell triceps extentions 1 set
Seated dumbbell presses 1 set
Bent over laterals 1 set
Standing laterals 1 set
Standing front laterals 1 set
Wrist curls 1 set
Reverse wrist curls 1 set
Total: 14 exercises Total: 28 sets

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Clark

Lyle McDonald
September 24th 04, 01:49 AM
Clark wrote:
> I've been working out sporadically for the last year or so, but now
> I'm ready to settle down and make a serious effort. I've read a lot of
> material about the HST approach, and it sounds interesting. My only
> concern is that it just doesn't seem to have enough volume.

Total volume/week will be as high as with less frequent workouts.
Volume/workout is decreased to ensure sufficient frequency (and
intensity progression).

You're going to get yourself into trouble trying to do too much volume
and train 3X/week.

Lyle

While
> using HST principles of load and reps, I have increased the sets. I
> put this routine together hoping to get some feedback from the more
> experienced lifters in the group. All suggestions and hints will be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> One legged calf raises 4 sets
> Squats 4 sets
> Stiff legged deadlifts 3 sets
> Bent over rows 3 sets
> Barbell shrugs 3 sets
> Bench presses 3 sets
> Seated dumbbell curls 1 set
> Seated dumbbell triceps extentions 1 set
> Seated dumbbell presses 1 set
> Bent over laterals 1 set
> Standing laterals 1 set
> Standing front laterals 1 set
> Wrist curls 1 set
> Reverse wrist curls 1 set
> Total: 14 exercises Total: 28 sets
>

> Thanks in advance for all your help,
> Clark

Hugh Beyer
September 24th 04, 06:18 AM
(Clark) wrote in news:2cfd9d89.0409231647.6479da71
@posting.google.com:

> I've been working out sporadically for the last year or so, but now
> I'm ready to settle down and make a serious effort. I've read a lot of
> material about the HST approach, and it sounds interesting. My only
> concern is that it just doesn't seem to have enough volume. While
> using HST principles of load and reps, I have increased the sets. I
> put this routine together hoping to get some feedback from the more
> experienced lifters in the group. All suggestions and hints will be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> One legged calf raises 4 sets
> Squats 4 sets
> Stiff legged deadlifts 3 sets
> Bent over rows 3 sets
> Barbell shrugs 3 sets
> Bench presses 3 sets
> Seated dumbbell curls 1 set
> Seated dumbbell triceps extentions 1 set
> Seated dumbbell presses 1 set
> Bent over laterals 1 set
> Standing laterals 1 set
> Standing front laterals 1 set
> Wrist curls 1 set
> Reverse wrist curls 1 set
> Total: 14 exercises Total: 28 sets

Sure, good idea. Those HST bozos probably never thought about volume in a
week and just screwed up. They'd appreciate it if you posted over at their
site and set them straight I bet.

While you're at it, stick a bunch of rinkydink isolation exercises in there.
When they talk about compound exercises it was probably a typo. Way to go.

Hugh

Translation: Shut up and do the damn program, dood. Then you can muck with
it.

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Clark
September 24th 04, 02:40 PM
Lyle McDonald > wrote in message >...
> Clark wrote:
> > I've been working out sporadically for the last year or so, but now
> > I'm ready to settle down and make a serious effort. I've read a lot of
> > material about the HST approach, and it sounds interesting. My only
> > concern is that it just doesn't seem to have enough volume.
>
> Total volume/week will be as high as with less frequent workouts.
> Volume/workout is decreased to ensure sufficient frequency (and
> intensity progression).
>
> You're going to get yourself into trouble trying to do too much volume
> and train 3X/week.
>
> Lyle
> Are you saying 28 sets in one workout are to many?
I find that hard to believe, considering that all but the last workout
in the cycle are sub-maximal.

Clark
> While
> > using HST principles of load and reps, I have increased the sets. I
> > put this routine together hoping to get some feedback from the more
> > experienced lifters in the group. All suggestions and hints will be
> > greatly appreciated.
> >
> > One legged calf raises 4 sets
> > Squats 4 sets
> > Stiff legged deadlifts 3 sets
> > Bent over rows 3 sets
> > Barbell shrugs 3 sets
> > Bench presses 3 sets
> > Seated dumbbell curls 1 set
> > Seated dumbbell triceps extentions 1 set
> > Seated dumbbell presses 1 set
> > Bent over laterals 1 set
> > Standing laterals 1 set
> > Standing front laterals 1 set
> > Wrist curls 1 set
> > Reverse wrist curls 1 set
> > Total: 14 exercises Total: 28 sets
> >

> > Thanks in advance for all your help,
> > Clark

Lyle McDonald
September 24th 04, 04:31 PM
Clark wrote:
> Lyle McDonald > wrote in message >...
>
>>Clark wrote:
>>
>>>I've been working out sporadically for the last year or so, but now
>>>I'm ready to settle down and make a serious effort. I've read a lot of
>>>material about the HST approach, and it sounds interesting. My only
>>>concern is that it just doesn't seem to have enough volume.
>>
>>Total volume/week will be as high as with less frequent workouts.
>>Volume/workout is decreased to ensure sufficient frequency (and
>>intensity progression).
>>
>>You're going to get yourself into trouble trying to do too much volume
>>and train 3X/week.
>>
>>Lyle
>>Are you saying 28 sets in one workout are to many?
>
> I find that hard to believe, considering that all but the last workout
> in the cycle are sub-maximal.

Except that that 28 set workout is being done THREE TIMES PER WEEK.

**** it, nevermind. try it, let us know what happens.

Nothing makes me happier than a big old "I told you so."

Lyle

AleX
September 24th 04, 08:47 PM
Clark > wrote:

>> > I've been working out sporadically for the last year or so, but now
>> > I'm ready to settle down and make a serious effort. I've read a lot of
>> > material about the HST approach, and it sounds interesting. My only
>> > concern is that it just doesn't seem to have enough volume.

>> Total volume/week will be as high as with less frequent workouts.
>> Volume/workout is decreased to ensure sufficient frequency (and
>> intensity progression).

>> You're going to get yourself into trouble trying to do too much volume
>> and train 3X/week.

>> Lyle
>> Are you saying 28 sets in one workout are to many?
> I find that hard to believe, considering that all but the last workout
> in the cycle are sub-maximal.

When somebody tells that he's going to "make a serious effort",
that probably means that he tries to repay his own guilt for
"working out sporadically". Which generally means taking about
2-3 times more then necessary.

28 sets per workout 3 times/week and far too many excercises is
almost certain receipt for giving up in 1-2 months. Unless you're
professional athlete or have too much spare time.

---
Signature has been removed to save disk space.

Lenny Lennerson
September 24th 04, 11:32 PM
(Clark) wrote in message >...
> Lyle McDonald > wrote in message >...
> > Clark wrote:
> > > I've been working out sporadically for the last year or so, but now
> > > I'm ready to settle down and make a serious effort. I've read a lot of
> > > material about the HST approach, and it sounds interesting. My only
> > > concern is that it just doesn't seem to have enough volume.
> >
> > Total volume/week will be as high as with less frequent workouts.
> > Volume/workout is decreased to ensure sufficient frequency (and
> > intensity progression).
> >
> > You're going to get yourself into trouble trying to do too much volume
> > and train 3X/week.
> >
> > Lyle
> > Are you saying 28 sets in one workout are to many?

- Yes he is, and for your benefit... LISTEN TO HIM! Either that or try
it your way and give up after 2 weeks. You won't even make it out of
the 15's cycle with that many sets.

Clark
September 25th 04, 12:23 AM
Lyle McDonald > wrote in message >...
> Clark wrote:
> > Lyle McDonald > wrote in message >...

> >>Total volume/week will be as high as with less frequent workouts.
> >>Volume/workout is decreased to ensure sufficient frequency (and
> >>intensity progression).
> >>
> >>You're going to get yourself into trouble trying to do too much volume
> >>and train 3X/week.
> >>
> >>Lyle
> >>Are you saying 28 sets in one workout are to many?
> >
> > I find that hard to believe, considering that all but the last workout
> > in the cycle are sub-maximal.
>
> Except that that 28 set workout is being done THREE TIMES PER WEEK.
>
> **** it, nevermind. try it, let us know what happens.
>
> Nothing makes me happier than a big old "I told you so."
>
> Lyle

You don't have to get hostile, I'm just trying to get some advice.
I didn't think 28 sets was a lot, since I finish my workout in about
an hour. How many sets would you consider to be reasonable?

Clark