PDA

View Full Version : Giving up gym membership

Gus
September 24th 04, 07:45 PM
Due to financial restraints, I have to give up my gym membership. All is
not totally lost as i have access to an all-in-one machine at the office, as
well as a treadmill and stairclimber. Since freeweights aren't available in
the office gym, what is the best I can expect to get out of the cable unit?
If this is the only thing I can use, what would be the best exercises to do
that would give the best results?

Kromagnon
September 24th 04, 07:58 PM
Gus wrote:
> Due to financial restraints, I have to give up my gym
membership.
> All is not totally lost as i have access to an all-in-one
machine
> at the office, as well as a treadmill and stairclimber.
Since
> freeweights aren't available in the office gym, what is the
best I
> can expect to get out of the cable unit? If this is the only
thing
> I can use, what would be the best exercises to do that would
give
> the best results?

Why don't you get a barbell/dumbbell set for home use? OR see
if your office will add at least a dumbbell set.

Kevin J. Coolidge
September 24th 04, 11:19 PM
If I didn't have access to a gym, I'd do bodyweight excercise like chins,
dips, 1 legged squats or deadlifts that sort of thing.

"Gus" > wrote in message
> Due to financial restraints, I have to give up my gym membership. All is
> not totally lost as i have access to an all-in-one machine at the office,
> as
> well as a treadmill and stairclimber. Since freeweights aren't available
> in
> the office gym, what is the best I can expect to get out of the cable
> unit?
> If this is the only thing I can use, what would be the best exercises to
> do
> that would give the best results?

The Voice of Reason
September 25th 04, 04:52 PM
"Kevin J. Coolidge" > wrote in message >...
> If I didn't have access to a gym, I'd do bodyweight excercise like chins,
> dips, 1 legged squats or deadlifts that sort of thing.

I'm wondering what bodyweight deadlifts look like.

And what do you do if you can't do chins or dips?

AleX
September 26th 04, 11:30 PM
The Voice of Reason > wrote:

>> If I didn't have access to a gym, I'd do bodyweight excercise like chins,
>> dips, 1 legged squats or deadlifts that sort of thing.

> I'm wondering what bodyweight deadlifts look like.

If it's somebody else's (dead) body...

---
Signature has been removed to save disk space.

bc
September 27th 04, 05:37 PM
"Gus" > wrote in message >...
> Due to financial restraints, I have to give up my gym membership. All is
> not totally lost as i have access to an all-in-one machine at the office, as
> well as a treadmill and stairclimber. Since freeweights aren't available in
> the office gym, what is the best I can expect to get out of the cable unit?
> If this is the only thing I can use, what would be the best exercises to do
> that would give the best results?

If it's what you've got, use it. The main problem may be that the
stacks don't go heavy enough for some things.

I know free weights are superior and all, but if can't get any for use
at home, check the flee markets and newspaper listings, then go for it
and use the machine. It's certainly better than nothing. Things
could change for you financially, and you'll be happier that you kept
on strength training.

Also, you might see if there are cheaper gym alternatives. Some bare
bones places really are pretty cheap.

Good luck,
- bc

Johnny
September 28th 04, 08:31 PM
THE single best move I have done with weight training is giving up a
gym membership. I bought a weight pile, continued to collect and put
it outside. I train everyday rain or shine and got stronger than I
ever have with chrome and rap "music".
All free wieght, never miss a day, train in all conditions. I'm 50 yrs
old and look younger.