PDA

View Full Version : Hyperextensions vs Reverse Hyperextensions

DESAY
September 24th 04, 10:42 PM
Hi All,

I've been using hyperextensions for years and was happy this exercise. After
reviewing the Westsdie Barbell Club's various training routines I saw the
reverse hyperextension exercise and bench. The bench was kind of costly but I
've managed to find a platform at work in which I can perform this exercise.

Honestly, I feel that this exercise is even more effective then the traditional
hyperextension. The question is, how can I incorporate the reverse hyper into
my regimen? I'm certain it would not be wise to do both in the same workout.
Should I cycle one exercise with another over the course of a macrocycle, or
alternate workouts?

Thanks for any feedback.

Also, if anybody has an idea where one could find a more economical reverse
hyper bench please cue me in.

Lyle McDonald
September 24th 04, 10:48 PM
DESAY wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been using hyperextensions for years and was happy this exercise. After
> reviewing the Westsdie Barbell Club's various training routines I saw the
> reverse hyperextension exercise and bench. The bench was kind of costly but I
> 've managed to find a platform at work in which I can perform this exercise.
>
> Honestly, I feel that this exercise is even more effective then the traditional
> hyperextension. The question is, how can I incorporate the reverse hyper into
> my regimen? I'm certain it would not be wise to do both in the same workout.
> Should I cycle one exercise with another over the course of a macrocycle, or
> alternate workouts?

A lot will depend on how often you train the low back. I believe
Simmons likes using the reverse hyper 4X/week, twice light and twice
heavier. His guys also do other exerices (such as heavy good mornings)
that tax the lower back in an extension pattern so doing regular back
extensions may not be necessary for them.

If you're not doing such, I think doing both rev. hyper and regular back
extension is useful. Sequence them, alternate them, dunno that it will
matter much.

Lyle

Kevin J. Coolidge
September 24th 04, 11:21 PM
what's your budget for a reverse hyper? You can get a decent quality one
from BFS, but like anything depends what you want to spend. I got one from
Pro maxima for reasonable compared to Louies, but still costly

"DESAY" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I've been using hyperextensions for years and was happy this exercise.
> After
> reviewing the Westsdie Barbell Club's various training routines I saw the
> reverse hyperextension exercise and bench. The bench was kind of costly
> but I
> 've managed to find a platform at work in which I can perform this
> exercise.
>
> Honestly, I feel that this exercise is even more effective then the
> traditional
> hyperextension. The question is, how can I incorporate the reverse hyper
> into
> my regimen? I'm certain it would not be wise to do both in the same
> workout.
> Should I cycle one exercise with another over the course of a macrocycle,
> or
> alternate workouts?
>
> Thanks for any feedback.
>
> Also, if anybody has an idea where one could find a more economical
> reverse
> hyper bench please cue me in.

Lee Michaels
September 24th 04, 11:34 PM
"DESAY" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I've been using hyperextensions for years and was happy this exercise.
After
> reviewing the Westsdie Barbell Club's various training routines I saw the
> reverse hyperextension exercise and bench. The bench was kind of costly
but I
> 've managed to find a platform at work in which I can perform this
exercise.

> Honestly, I feel that this exercise is even more effective then the
traditional
> hyperextension. The question is, how can I incorporate the reverse hyper
into
> my regimen? I'm certain it would not be wise to do both in the same
workout.
> Should I cycle one exercise with another over the course of a macrocycle,
or
> alternate workouts?
>
> Thanks for any feedback.
>
> Also, if anybody has an idea where one could find a more economical
reverse
> hyper bench please cue me in.

Glute Ham benches cost what they do because they are still specialized units
that most people either don't know about or understand their usefulnes.

And the ones that are relatively inexpensive are not that big.

What country are you located in (Usenet is cosmic, ya know)? And how much
is too much?

New York Barbell makes one for $350. It isn't big or fancy, but it will
work if you aren't too big or strong.

Lee Michaels
September 24th 04, 11:59 PM
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message news:...

> "DESAY" > wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've been using hyperextensions for years and was happy this exercise.
> After
> > reviewing the Westsdie Barbell Club's various training routines I saw
the
> > reverse hyperextension exercise and bench. The bench was kind of costly
> but I
> > 've managed to find a platform at work in which I can perform this
> exercise.
> >
> > Honestly, I feel that this exercise is even more effective then the
> traditional
> > hyperextension. The question is, how can I incorporate the reverse
hyper
> into
> > my regimen? I'm certain it would not be wise to do both in the same
> workout.
> > Should I cycle one exercise with another over the course of a
macrocycle,
> or
> > alternate workouts?
> >
> > Thanks for any feedback.
> >
> > Also, if anybody has an idea where one could find a more economical
> reverse
> > hyper bench please cue me in.
> >

> Glute Ham benches cost what they do because they are still specialized
units
> that most people either don't know about or understand their usefulnes.
>
> And the ones that are relatively inexpensive are not that big.
>
> What country are you located in (Usenet is cosmic, ya know)? And how much
> is too much?
>
> New York Barbell makes one for $350. It isn't big or fancy, but it will
> work if you aren't too big or strong.

My Bad. That should have read $300 (free freight in USA).

http://newyorkbarbells.tv/82651.html

Jeff Finlayson
September 25th 04, 12:07 AM
Lee Michaels wrote:
> DESAY wrote:

>>Hi All,
>>I've been using hyperextensions for years and was happy this exercise.
>>After reviewing the Westsdie Barbell Club's various training routines
>>I saw the reverse hyperextension exercise and bench. The bench was kind
>>of costly but I 've managed to find a platform at work in which I can
>>perform this exercise.
>>
>>Honestly, I feel that this exercise is even more effective then the
>>traditional hyperextension. The question is, how can I incorporate
>>the reverse hyper into my regimen? I'm certain it would not be wise
>>to do both in the same workout.
>>
>>Should I cycle one exercise with another over the course of a macrocycle,
>>or alternate workouts? Thanks for any feedback.
>>
>>Also, if anybody has an idea where one could find a more economical
>> reverse hyper bench please cue me in.
>
> Glute Ham benches cost what they do because they are still specialized units
> that most people either don't know about or understand their usefulnes.

Add Reverse hypertension benches to that, since that's the subject
of interest..

> And the ones that are relatively inexpensive are not that big.
> What country are you located in (Usenet is cosmic, ya know)? And how much
> is too much?
>
> New York Barbell makes one for $350. It isn't big or fancy, but it will
> work if you aren't too big or strong.

Lee Michaels
September 25th 04, 12:28 AM
"Jeff Finlayson" > wrote

> Lee Michaels wrote:
> > DESAY wrote:
>
> >>Hi All,
> >>I've been using hyperextensions for years and was happy this exercise.
> >>After reviewing the Westsdie Barbell Club's various training routines
> >>I saw the reverse hyperextension exercise and bench. The bench was kind
> >>of costly but I 've managed to find a platform at work in which I can
> >>perform this exercise.
> >>
> >>Honestly, I feel that this exercise is even more effective then the
> >>traditional hyperextension. The question is, how can I incorporate
> >>the reverse hyper into my regimen? I'm certain it would not be wise
> >>to do both in the same workout.
> >>
> >>Should I cycle one exercise with another over the course of a
macrocycle,
> >>or alternate workouts? Thanks for any feedback.
> >>
> >>Also, if anybody has an idea where one could find a more economical
> >> reverse hyper bench please cue me in.
> >
> > Glute Ham benches cost what they do because they are still specialized
units
> > that most people either don't know about or understand their usefulnes.
>
> Add Reverse hypertension benches to that, since that's the subject
> of interest..

Oops, stressful day here trying to transfer several years worth of suff to
new computer,

I MEANT reverse hyper.

Will
September 25th 04, 01:30 AM
In article >,
(DESAY) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been using hyperextensions for years and was happy this exercise. After
> reviewing the Westsdie Barbell Club's various training routines I saw the
> reverse hyperextension exercise and bench. The bench was kind of costly but
> 've managed to find a platform at work in which I can perform this exercise.
>
> Honestly, I feel that this exercise is even more effective then the
> traditional
> hyperextension. The question is, how can I incorporate the reverse hyper
> into
> my regimen? I'm certain it would not be wise to do both in the same workout.
> Should I cycle one exercise with another over the course of a macrocycle, or
> alternate workouts?
>
> Thanks for any feedback.
>
> Also, if anybody has an idea where one could find a more economical reverse
> hyper bench please cue me in.

Numerous people have convinced their insurance providers to purchase a
reverse hyper for them, with a little help from a chiropractor.

DESAY
September 25th 04, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I believe the westside rev hyper benches run from
a 1000 to 1500 dollars.

They look like it may be simple enough to build out of wood, for now I'm using
a tall platform at work and holding on to the end of the edge.

However, the advantage I saw with the westside model was that it included an
extender bar that you can load plates on for additional resistance. I read a
Mel Siff article that detailed how he would use a compensatory workouts and he
would perform the movement ballistically. Supposedly, quite a good exercise to
improve power abilities in running and vertical jumping.

My initial opinion, although subjective at this point in time, is that it's a
more effective exercise then the traditional hyperextension.

Thanks again for the feedback.

DESAY
September 25th 04, 02:43 AM
>> New York Barbell makes one for $350. It isn't big or fancy, but it will
>> work if you aren't too big or strong.
>>

>My Bad. That should have read $300 (free freight in USA).

Thanks, that's more like it ($300)

Proton Soup
September 25th 04, 02:44 AM
On 25 Sep 2004 01:40:54 GMT, (DESAY) wrote:

>Thanks for the replies guys. I believe the westside rev hyper benches run from
>a 1000 to 1500 dollars.
>
>They look like it may be simple enough to build out of wood, for now I'm using
>a tall platform at work and holding on to the end of the edge.
>
>However, the advantage I saw with the westside model was that it included an
>extender bar that you can load plates on for additional resistance. I read a
>Mel Siff article that detailed how he would use a compensatory workouts and he
>would perform the movement ballistically. Supposedly, quite a good exercise to
>improve power abilities in running and vertical jumping.
>
>My initial opinion, although subjective at this point in time, is that it's a
>more effective exercise then the traditional hyperextension.
>
>Thanks again for the feedback.

I remember seeing this posted here from a while back:

http://www.kvusa.com/wl/revhyper.htm

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

DESAY
September 25th 04, 03:30 AM
>I remember seeing this posted here from a while back:
>
>http://www.kvusa.com/wl/revhyper.htm

Thanks much! A picture is worth a thousand words. I have to agree, that I
feel this exercise is an excellent contribution to an overall regimen.

spodosaurus
September 25th 04, 06:55 AM
Jeff Finlayson wrote:

> Add Reverse hypertension benches to that, since that's the subject
> of interest..

Low blood pressure benches?