PDA

View Full Version : Skinny guy asks for advice on gaining weight

Alex
September 25th 04, 08:46 AM
Hi all,

I apologize if I'm posting a question that's been answered a million times
over before, but I haven't been able to find a complete answer to my
specific situation by searching the newsgroups and Web.

I was wondering if anyone in a similar situation or some professional
experience could give me some tips on gaining weight. I'm 20, 6'7, 165lb
(never been more than 175lb), Caucasian (don't know if this matters). No
one else in my family or ancestry is skinny. I'm healthy, I enjoy running
and playing sports but I haven't had time to since high school. I have a
narrow build so the skinniness doesn't show much and I've always been skinny
so it's never really bothered me. But recently, I've noticed the skinniness
is affecting my confidence, especially in social situations.

I'm looking for advice on gaining weight. I don't expect fast results. I'm
willing to adapt my diet as needed. I would prefer not to use any weight
lifting equipment in the beginning (distance to the nearest gym is the
issue) but I would gladly exercise with free weights and body-mass
exercises. I would also prefer to avoid any commercial dietary supplements
mainly because of a mistrust in the quality of the ingredients.

I've noticed that other posters are often told to eat more often (I eat
about twice a day, mostly in one big meal very late in the day). When and
how often do you think is right? What is the recommended diet? Sleep
patterns? Are there any body-mass exerices which would be enough in this
stage? Any other tips? Sorry if this is asking a lot, but any guidance
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance, you have a great community in this newsgroup.

Cheers,

Alex

bunnyKilla
September 25th 04, 10:29 AM
) but I would gladly exercise with free weights and body-mass
> exercises.

Free weight training is the best way to go IMO

I would also prefer to avoid any commercial dietary supplements
> mainly because of a mistrust in the quality of the ingredients.

You don't need supplements anyway

> I've noticed that other posters are often told to eat more often (I eat
> about twice a day, mostly in one big meal very late in the day). When and
> how often do you think is right?

Totally wrong, you should be eating 5 or 6 smaller meals per day.

Stick to a healthy balance diet.

Get your diet sorted before you start weightlifting, or you will only
make yourself bad.

Cereal for breakfast
fruit midmorning
chicken salad sandwich for lunch
fruit midafternoon
meat and vegetables for dinner
and a supper

I havent answered everything but it's a start.

If you dont start gaining weight from the extra food, start drinking
milk with your fruit and meals for extra protein and calories.

bunnykilla

Lenny Lennerson
September 25th 04, 06:43 PM
- Definitely eat more... geez man, two meals a day and you wonder why
you're skinny? If you are going to start lifting weighs (which I
strongly suggest if you want to gain muscle) you really should get
some whey protein as well. Whey is great and it only results in a 50%
penis size reduction, much lower than most supplements. All kidding
aside, here is a guaranteed way to gain 10 pounds without doing
anything more than I recommend.

- Step 1: Buy 1 litre of Milk every day, drink.
- Step 2: Buy whey protein and take 1 or 2 shakes a day.
- Step 3: Buy free weights (find a used bench if you are low on
funds)... two dumbbells, and a barbell. Seeing as how you are probably
pretty weak, you will save a lot on the actual buying of weight
plates.
- Step 4: Perform a simple whole-body workout that lasts about 45
minutes... do this every OTHER day, never two days in a row. Look up
beginner workouts and progressive resistance. Come back in a month or
two and you will have added at least 10 pounds to that frame.

malefice
September 26th 04, 12:15 AM
lots of fast food joints,
compound movements only,
train ONLY 2 times a week,
3,500 - 4,500 calories daily

by the end of next year atleast 40- 70 lbs gain.

frank-in-toronto
September 26th 04, 03:17 AM
On 25 Sep 2004 16:15:35 -0700, (malefice) wrote:

>lots of fast food joints,
>compound movements only,
>train ONLY 2 times a week,
>3,500 - 4,500 calories daily
>
>by the end of next year atleast 40- 70 lbs gain.
be ready to accept getting a fat belly. a big problem
for skinny people.
....thehick

malefice
September 27th 04, 02:29 AM
frank-in-toronto > wrote in message >...
> On 25 Sep 2004 16:15:35 -0700, (malefice) wrote:
>
> >lots of fast food joints,
> >compound movements only,
> >train ONLY 2 times a week,
> >3,500 - 4,500 calories daily
> >
> >by the end of next year atleast 40- 70 lbs gain.
> be ready to accept getting a fat belly. a big problem
> for skinny people.
> ...thehick

nonsense , you thinking like a kid, take it from the pro. These
callories can be controled by 30 minute cardio twice a day, but not on
training days. Peace

Goran Tomas
September 28th 04, 08:38 PM
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 03:46:51 -0400, "Alex" >
rote:
> I don't expect fast results.

Good. Cause they won't be fast.

> I'm willing to adapt my diet as needed.

Good. Cause you'll have to.

>I would prefer not to use any weight
>lifting equipment in the beginning (distance to the nearest gym is the
>issue) but I would gladly exercise with free weights and body-mass
>exercises.

Dumbbells and body-mass exercises are OK for beginning...

> I would also prefer to avoid any commercial dietary supplements
>mainly because of a mistrust in the quality of the ingredients.

That's OK. You don't need supplements. Though you might want to
consider whey protein. There's not much in it except whey isolate and
will help you eat enough protein...

>I've noticed that other posters are often told to eat more often (I eat
>about twice a day, mostly in one big meal very late in the day). When and
>how often do you think is right?

You should eat more often! You should eat 5 or 6 meals a day. If you
want to gain weight (preferably muscle) you should eat more then you
used to. I would strongly advise you start counting your calories. At
your current weight, you should aim for about 3200 calories a day. As
to macro nutrient ratios, start with 50/30/20 (carbs/protein/fats) and
then go from there. If it's too hard for you to eat so much, you may
want to switch to 40/30/30 which will be easier to eat. Work out 2-3
times a week. Sleep enough. Drink water.

I don't know how much you know about nutrition, calorie requirements,
etc. There's a lot of info on the web and various groups/forums but if
you want to get the whole picture and you're willing to spend some
money, there are two books I can recommend. One is "Burn the Fat Feed
The Muscle" by Tom Venuto (www.fitren.com) and the other is "Gaining
Mass" by Anthony Ellis (www.skinnyguy.net). Though the first book is
about fat-loss it is so informative, excellently written and covers
all the necessary topics (especially on nutrition) that you you'll
find it very useful. The other book is not so comprehensive, but never
the less has all the necessary info and is targeted specifically on
weight gain for people that are naturally lean (skinny if you insist
;-))

If you're not feeling like buying anything for now, check these web
sites as they have excellent articles: www.fitren.com (Library
section), www.johnberardi.com, www.bodyrecomposition.com

Regards,
Goran Tomas

Anthony Carra
September 28th 04, 09:44 PM
(malefice) wrote in message >...
> frank-in-toronto > wrote in message >...
> > On 25 Sep 2004 16:15:35 -0700, (malefice) wrote:
> >
> > >lots of fast food joints,
> > >compound movements only,
> > >train ONLY 2 times a week,
> > >3,500 - 4,500 calories daily
> > >
> > >by the end of next year atleast 40- 70 lbs gain.
> > be ready to accept getting a fat belly. a big problem
> > for skinny people.
> > ...thehick
>
> nonsense , you thinking like a kid, take it from the pro. These
> callories can be controled by 30 minute cardio twice a day, but not on
> training days. Peace

Yeah, but nothing good comes out of a fast food joint except for those
happy meal toys!

You want to feel good too, right? Stay away from the junk food, eat
more frequently, increase your total calorie consumption, and keep it
balanced.

Weight gain/loss in it's simplest sense is:
If calories in is greater than calories out, you gain weight.
If calories in is less than calories out, you lose weight.
If calories in equals calories out, you maintain weight.

To keep it balanced, note that there are 4 cal/g Protein, 4 cal/g of
Carb, and 9 cal/g Fat. Figure what percentages are best for you based
upon your lifestyle. For example bodybuilders might take in more
protein, long distance runners take in more carbs, and couch potatoes
snack on more fatty snacks!

If you're really serious gaining quality weight, you should keep a
diet and exercise log, set goals, etc. If you simply want to pack on
pounds, check out http://www.supersizeme.com to see how Morgan
Spurlock packed on about 25lbs in 1 month.

Good Luck!

Crow
October 4th 04, 10:23 AM
Does it really result in a size reduction as I've noticed some body builders
seem to have smaller penis.

"Lenny Lennerson" > wrote in message
om...
> - Definitely eat more... geez man, two meals a day and you wonder why
> you're skinny? If you are going to start lifting weighs (which I
> strongly suggest if you want to gain muscle) you really should get
> some whey protein as well. Whey is great and it only results in a 50%
> penis size reduction, much lower than most supplements. All kidding
> aside, here is a guaranteed way to gain 10 pounds without doing
> anything more than I recommend.
>
> - Step 1: Buy 1 litre of Milk every day, drink.
> - Step 2: Buy whey protein and take 1 or 2 shakes a day.
> - Step 3: Buy free weights (find a used bench if you are low on
> funds)... two dumbbells, and a barbell. Seeing as how you are probably
> pretty weak, you will save a lot on the actual buying of weight
> plates.
> - Step 4: Perform a simple whole-body workout that lasts about 45
> minutes... do this every OTHER day, never two days in a row. Look up
> beginner workouts and progressive resistance. Come back in a month or
> two and you will have added at least 10 pounds to that frame.

snow4frog
October 21st 04, 04:31 PM
I had a similar problem. I have an over-active metabolism and I
couldn't gain any weight. I found out about this Bulk & Muscle
Formula and I wasn't too sure if I should take it because I had tried
other things which didn't work. But It had a 30 day money back on it
so I gave it a try. I gained 8lbs my first month which for me was
huge! You should check it out. I got mine on this website.
www.herbal-nutrition.net/globalsuccess It was only I think $60 for a
month's supply. They best part was it was all natural. There's no
risk so you might want to give it a try. Hope it helps. Here is some
more info I found on the site!

Bulk & Muscle Formula
Protein Drink Mix
A results-oriented formula for the serious bodybuilder or the
weekend warrior.
Few will argue that nutrition plays a critical role in everyone's
health, but it is especially
important for athletes involved in intense workouts. Even the most
powerful athletes
can't reach their potential without proper nutrition.
Protein is essential to assist the body in maintaining muscle mass
throughout life,
which is necessary to carry our skeletal system. Without it, we lose
our balance,
mobility and independence; thus, greatly reducing our quality of life.
Athletes must
provide their bodies with high-quality protein to assist in repairing
and regenerating
muscle fibers.
For serious athletes, bodybuilders or weekend warriors, Herbalife's
Bulk & Muscle
Formula Protein Drink Mix provides the extra necessary nutrition. It
is a resultsoriented
formula designed to meet the extra nutritional requirements of
athletes
involved in intense workouts. With 30 grams of protein, it also
contains natural
performance enhancers and a premium blend of energy-boosting herbs.
Nutrition plays a key role during the acute exercise phase by
providing the energy,
micronutrients and muscle-building factors to maximize exercise
effort. If essential
amino acids and metabolic catalysts for muscle growth are in short
supply, muscle
and strength gains are less than maximum. The Bulk & Muscle Formula
Protein
Drink Mix has been created so that nutrition is never a limiting
factor during exercise
or recovery.

Discussion Points
 Provides energy: Contains a unique carbohydrate-complex blend, which
is
used to provide energy for exercising and as a protein-sparing
nutrient to help
maintain muscle mass during peak muscle exertion.
 Protein digestibility: Contains Protomyosin™, which has a Protein
Digestibility
Corrected Amino Acid (PDCAA) score of 1.00, the highest score for
labeling protein
quality.
 Muscle-mass development: Formulated for the needs of individuals
involved in
muscle-mass development programs. Muscle growth is stimulated by
specific
resistance exercise and dictated by physiological factors.
Did You Know?
After a workout, your body requires protein to restore and rebuild its
muscle mass.
Experts recommend consuming 0.4 to 0.6 grams of protein per kilogram
of body
weight 10 to 15 minutes after training. This amount of protein can
easily be provided
by a Bulk & Muscle Formula shake.
Fast Facts
 Contains 30 grams of protein per serving.
 Formulated with vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids,
carbohydrates
and energy-boosting herbs.
 Includes Protomyosin™, which is isolated soy protein, caseinate,
whey protein
concentrate, egg albumin and the amino acid L-glutamine.

David Cohen
October 21st 04, 05:11 PM
Eat **** and die, mother****ing spammer.

"snow4frog" > wrote
>I had a similar problem. I have an over-active metabolism and I
> couldn't gain any weight. I found out about this Bulk & Muscle
> Formula and I wasn't too sure if I should take it because I had tried
> other things which didn't work. But It had a 30 day money back on it
> so I gave it a try. I gained 8lbs my first month which for me was
> huge! You should check it out. I got mine on this website.
> www.mother****ingspammer.com It was only I think $60 for a
> month's supply. They best part was it was all natural. There's no
> risk so you might want to give it a try. Hope it helps. Here is some
> more info I found on the site!

bhc
November 1st 04, 04:19 PM
This David Cohen has REALLY SCREWED IT UP for the rest of us that have
a legit product that can actually help people with their over all
weight and health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shut up David ! You seem to
have saturated the whole net with your dishonesty!!!!! I DO have
something that I have actually used and I know it would help a lot of
people but theyhave no interest because of you and your DAMN CRAP!!!!

Art S
November 1st 04, 04:39 PM
"bhc" > wrote in message m...
> This David Cohen has REALLY SCREWED IT UP for the rest of us that have
> a legit product that can actually help people with their over all
> weight and health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shut up David !

Nah. He's only screwing it up for the spammers. Like you, apparently.

> You seem to
> have saturated the whole net with your dishonesty!!!!!

Bwahahahaha!

Hey, congratulations, David. You're the only person I know who has managed
to saturate the whole net. And you didn't even need a bot to do it.

> I DO have
> something that I have actually used and I know it would help a lot of
> people but theyhave no interest because of you and your DAMN CRAP!!!!

Aw... Poor baby. No one buying your sugar pills to put on weight?

Art

David Cohen
November 1st 04, 08:28 PM
"bhc" > wrote
> This David Cohen has REALLY SCREWED IT UP for the rest of us that have
> a legit product that can actually help people with their over all
> weight and health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shut up David ! You seem to
> have saturated the whole net with your dishonesty!!!!! I DO have
> something that I have actually used and I know it would help a lot of
> people but theyhave no interest because of you and your DAMN CRAP!!!!

I feel your pain. To make sure I had not erred in accusing you of being a
mother****ing spammer, I went back and reviewed your post, and the site you
provided, in an effort to determine if your 8 pounds of muscle gain in a
month was just a spammer's con.

The product in question contains 30 grams protein, some sugar, and some
meaningless vitamins, minerals, and herbs.

The site is difficult to navigate, unless you provide an email address,
which won't be happening anytime soon. But the cons for "sea silver", "coral
calcium" and Herbalife were telling.

So, upon further reflection, let me say:

Eat **** and die, mother****ing spammer.

David

David Cohen
November 1st 04, 08:29 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote
> "Art S" > wrote >>
>> "bhc" > wrote
>> > This David Cohen has REALLY SCREWED IT UP for the rest of us that have
>> > a legit product that can actually help people with their over all
>> > weight and health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shut up David !
>>
>> Nah. He's only screwing it up for the spammers. Like you, apparently.
>>
>> > You seem to
>> > have saturated the whole net with your dishonesty!!!!!
>>
>> Bwahahahaha!
>>
>> Hey, congratulations, David. You're the only person I know who has
> managed
>> to saturate the whole net. And you didn't even need a bot to do it.
>>
> Well, David is such a stud, he doesn't need any artificial aids..
>
> He can saturate anything.
>
> If he wasn't such a humanitarian, he would be a porn star. ;)

Stop it. I am so saturated with power, my penis is going to explode!

David

Watson Davis
November 2nd 04, 01:18 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in
hlink.net:

> "Lee Michaels" > wrote
>> "Art S" > wrote >>
>>> "bhc" > wrote
>>>
>>> Nah. He's only screwing it up for the spammers. Like you,
>>> apparently.

>>> Bwahahahaha!
>>>
>>> Hey, congratulations, David. You're the only person I know who has
>> managed
>>> to saturate the whole net. And you didn't even need a bot to do it.
>>>
>> Well, David is such a stud, he doesn't need any artificial aids..
>>
>> He can saturate anything.
>>
>> If he wasn't such a humanitarian, he would be a porn star. ;)
>
> Stop it. I am so saturated with power, my penis is going to explode!

And then you'll wake up covered in goo.

Just like every other time you wake up.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

David Cohen
November 2nd 04, 06:08 AM
"Watson Davis" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote
>> "Lee Michaels" > wrote
>>> "Art S" > wrote >>

>>> managed
>>>>
>>> Well, David is such a stud, he doesn't need any artificial aids..
>>>
>>> He can saturate anything.
>>>
>>> If he wasn't such a humanitarian, he would be a porn star. ;)
>>
>> Stop it. I am so saturated with power, my penis is going to explode!
>
> And then you'll wake up covered in goo.
>
> Just like every other time you wake up.

And this is a bad thing, why?

Crossposting troll!

David

Watson Davis
November 2nd 04, 07:05 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in
link.net:

> "Watson Davis" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > wrote
>>> "Lee Michaels" > wrote

>>> Stop it. I am so saturated with power, my penis is going to explode!
>>
>> And then you'll wake up covered in goo.
>>
>> Just like every other time you wake up.
>
> And this is a bad thing, why?

I don't see where I made any sort of value judgment on the
waking-up-in-good paradigm.

> Crossposting troll!

Hey! WTF? Where'd all this crossposting come from?!

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Axel of the North!
November 5th 04, 04:42 AM
On 2 Nov 2004 07:05:16 GMT, Watson Davis >
wrote:

>> Crossposting troll!
>
>Hey! WTF? Where'd all this crossposting come from?!
>
>Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Hello again, Ninja.

Mr. Gantlet
December 5th 04, 02:52 AM
"Alex" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I apologize if I'm posting a question that's been answered a million times
> over before, but I haven't been able to find a complete answer to my
> specific situation by searching the newsgroups and Web.
>
> I was wondering if anyone in a similar situation or some professional
> experience could give me some tips on gaining weight. I'm 20, 6'7, 165lb
> (never been more than 175lb),

I wouldnt mind having you on my team in basket ball.

>Caucasian

never mind.

> I've noticed that other posters are often told to eat more often (I eat
> about twice a day, mostly in one big meal very late in the day). When and
> how often do you think is right?

just for the record i am diabetic.. i eat 5 meals a day about 45 carbs each
meal.
i stopped working out about 10 years ago - i used to work out very heavy and
for a few hours 3 or 4 times a week.
i would eat about every 2 hours and keep an eye on the scale. I would have
my usual
3 main meals a day and inbetween i would have a protein shake with some
frozen fruit
in a blender. yougart and fruit. i would have a small amount of protien,
fruit, and a complex every 2 hours.
im not saying it was right.. just what i was doing but the results were very
good.

>What is the recommended diet?

i think that is an individual thing.

>Sleep patterns?

i try to get 8 hours sleep.

> Are there any body-mass exerices which would be enough in this stage?

one of the books i learned alot from was a book called Sliced.
think of it as body sculpting. look at your body and think how you want it
to look.

>Any other tips?

just remember for best results its not only important to learn how to
exercise
but how to fuel your body to build muscle.

> Sorry if this is asking a lot, but any guidance would be greatly
> appreciated.

I new a person when i was younger that was very tall and built like a twig.
he was so skinny a lot of people would pick on him.
over the winter he started to body build. that next summer he was huge
and looking great. you can to.
today i finally ordered something new to help motivate me.
its time i start things up again. its an awesome machine but a bit extreme.
http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/dualadjustablepulley

you will be amazed what 7 months can do and you will do even more
if you do it right.
Tom

> Thanks a lot in advance, you have a great community in this newsgroup.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex

frank-in-toronto
December 5th 04, 03:55 AM
<snip>
>and looking great. you can to.
>today i finally ordered something new to help motivate me.
>its time i start things up again. its an awesome machine but a bit extreme.
>http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/dualadjustablepulley
i don't know why you picked that machine, but i wouldn't.
it is very suitable for rehab due to it's special feature where
the weight is cut in half (or quarters i think) and the range
of pull is increased by the same amount.

however, doing a simple chest exercise is not very good.
you have to stand way out in front and the angles are not
the way a cable chest machine should be. IMHO

it was designed for rehab centers or corporate gyms where
space is at a premium. also, it is very expensive. you could
just do dumbbell flys.

it also has some application for actions attemoting to mimic
a high speed motion (like throwing a baseball). at least,
that's the sales pitch.
....thehick

Mr. Gantlet
December 6th 04, 05:40 PM
"frank-in-toronto" > wrote in message

> <snip>
>>and looking great. you can to.
>>today i finally ordered something new to help motivate me.
>>its time i start things up again. its an awesome machine but a bit
>>extreme.
>>http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/dualadjustablepulley

> i don't know why you picked that machine, but i wouldn't.
> it is very suitable for rehab due to it's special feature where
> the weight is cut in half (or quarters i think) and the range
> of pull is increased by the same amount.

With 190lbs i think its a bit over kill for rehab although
it can be set very light.

> however, doing a simple chest exercise is not very good.
> you have to stand way out in front and the angles are not
> the way a cable chest machine should be. IMHO

i happen to like being able to do chest exercises while standing
but you can easily use a bench.

> it was designed for rehab centers or corporate gyms where
> space is at a premium. also, it is very expensive. you could
> just do dumbbell flys.

i agree with it being designed for corporate gyms and my space
is at a premium. It can do much more than flys.

> it also has some application for actions attemoting to mimic
> a high speed motion (like throwing a baseball). at least,
> that's the sales pitch.
> ...thehick

besides being able to do just about any exercise on this machine
I can also mimic just about any sport on this machine.
I can throw a weighted right hand punch and follow up with a left
kick is I so choose. most my arms like I am swimming.
I simply bought what I like most that can fit in
my limited space and it just barely fits. I am very excited to think that
pretty soon
I will own it. I am not a stranger to weight lifting and had my share of
free weights. I will use this machine more than I would free weights
and that is what is most important to me. I usually do 4 sets per muscle.
one high rep at 20 add more weight do about 15 - add again and do about 10 -
end with another 20 rep.. I don't like having to switch around plates 4
times for each
exercise. but yes free weights are cheaper and could do the same job I just
bought what I wanted
to buy and will probably use more often.

Tom
--
Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
Your American Diabetes Association