PDA

View Full Version : unchanging body composition

nm
September 26th 04, 05:43 AM
im having difficulty going from 15% body fat on my tanita scales . I
workout heavy 3 -4 times a week. it seems thats im losing weight, but im
also losing muscle,which i dont want to do..... and wen i eat more than
usual i gain wieght, but i also gain fat which i dont like either....,
its like i cant find the method that decreases body fat and increases
muscle...
my diet is fairly good, i eat a little junk food on w/e's though. do u
think i need to up my protien intake or something??? im not sure what to
do.....

Denis
September 27th 04, 05:02 PM
I think one can not trust tanita fat scale not only in terms of
showing the correct body fat % (on which everybody agrees), but even
in reflecting the changes in the body fat % when you start putting on
muscle. I think when one starts working out, gaining muscle, and in
other words changing the body composition, then his/her body
e-resistance (which this scale meassures) is changing and the scale is
not showing a correct trend. I still use it though :).
But I don't think it is correct - I gained slowly (no junk food in
this period)10 lbs in 6 months after a long layoff from lifting
weights and can see very little if any fat gain. My tanita (atlete's
mode though) fat % went about 3% (6'05", 170 lbs). Just my thoughts.

DRS
September 27th 04, 05:03 PM
"Denis" > wrote in message
om
> I think one can not trust tanita fat scale not only in terms of
> showing the correct body fat % (on which everybody agrees),

No, not everybody agrees. They are quite accurate when used according to
the manufacturer's instructions.

--

"Self-delusion as a coping tool has always been a fairly useful strategy for
me."

John M. Williams
September 27th 04, 05:54 PM
"DRS" > wrote:
>"Denis" > wrote:
>> I think one can not trust tanita fat scale not only in terms of
>> showing the correct body fat % (on which everybody agrees),
>
>No, not everybody agrees. They are quite accurate when used according to
>the manufacturer's instructions.

For those with limited muscle mass, i.e., you.

jr
September 27th 04, 07:54 PM
nm > wrote in message >...
> im having difficulty going from 15% body fat on my tanita scales . I
> workout heavy 3 -4 times a week. it seems thats im losing weight, but im
> also losing muscle,which i dont want to do..... and wen i eat more than
> usual i gain wieght, but i also gain fat which i dont like either....,
> its like i cant find the method that decreases body fat and increases
> muscle...
> my diet is fairly good, i eat a little junk food on w/e's though. do u
> think i need to up my protien intake or something??? im not sure what to
> do.....

u need to shape up sunny jim....and fast. and u wont get anywhere with
that sort of attitude. the best place to look is at the muscle book
comics. enjoy

nm
October 1st 04, 01:41 AM
my current protien intake in two eggs for breaky, a ham and salad roll
for lunch, a tuna snack and a decent sized steak for dinner.....or
thereabouts...i also drink a 30g protein shake after gym
im 78Kgs, 186cm tall, 29years and according to Tanita, i vary between
14.7 and 17.9% bodyfat