PDA

View Full Version : NewB Question: Abs reduction

JK
September 27th 04, 03:45 AM
I am 26 yrs old, 157 lbs, 5ft10in. I have a waist of 32 inches. It is not a
terribly big waist. Nevertheless, I would like to reduce the girth and the
soft belly. I am also training quite regularly for hypertrophy i.e. I am
working my chest, shoulders and arms to increase the mass on the upper body.
I do the presses, squats, bicep curls etc. As supplements, I am taking
weight gainers and whey protien along with L-glutamine. My average calorie
intake is 2000-2100 calories per day (inclusive of supplements).

To reduce the waist, I have tried doing situps and crunches for the past two
weeks and the only outcome it had is I have strained my back badly. I tried
running on the treadmill and the only effect of that is that I was extremely
tired and it messed up my weighttraining very badly the next day. After all
this, my waist has not changed one bit, but my weight has increase 2 lbs in
1 month.

Is taking weight gainers working against the waist reduction objective? Will
I inevitably increase the waist size if I take weight gainers?
If so, how can I try to reduce my waist without compromising on the
hypertrophy objectives for the upper body?
Is there a book/website/video that gives some information about this problem
in particular i.e. increasing upper upper body mass and reducing waist size?

Any guidance on the above would be welcome.

Thanks
Jay

Fish! (mmm Thecla)
September 27th 04, 07:23 AM
In article >,
says...
> I am 26 yrs old, 157 lbs, 5ft10in. I have a waist of 32 inches. It is not a
> terribly big waist. Nevertheless, I would like to reduce the girth and the
> soft belly. I am also training quite regularly for hypertrophy i.e. I am
> working my chest, shoulders and arms to increase the mass on the upper body.
> I do the presses, squats, bicep curls etc. As supplements, I am taking
> weight gainers and whey protien along with L-glutamine. My average calorie
> intake is 2000-2100 calories per day (inclusive of supplements).
>
> To reduce the waist, I have tried doing situps and crunches for the past two
> weeks and the only outcome it had is I have strained my back badly. I tried
> running on the treadmill and the only effect of that is that I was extremely
> tired and it messed up my weighttraining very badly the next day. After all
> this, my waist has not changed one bit, but my weight has increase 2 lbs in
> 1 month.
>
> Is taking weight gainers working against the waist reduction objective? Will
> I inevitably increase the waist size if I take weight gainers?
> If so, how can I try to reduce my waist without compromising on the
> hypertrophy objectives for the upper body?
> Is there a book/website/video that gives some information about this problem
> in particular i.e. increasing upper upper body mass and reducing waist size?
>
> Any guidance on the above would be welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Jay

have you tried ?

JK
September 27th 04, 09:34 AM
> have you tried ?

Ha Ha. After reading your reply, I have no choice but to spell aloud my
profund admiration for your precocious talent for humor.

I guess if we dumped you in Afghanistan, the average humor quotient (you can
also add intelligence to this) in both US and Afghanistan would improve a
million times.

Peace

DRS
September 27th 04, 01:19 PM
"JK" > wrote in message

[...]

> Is there a book/website/video that gives some information about this
> problem in particular i.e. increasing upper upper body mass and

To increase mass eat more.

> reducing waist size?

To reduce mass eat less.

Do you see a pattern here?

--

"Self-delusion as a coping tool has always been a fairly useful strategy for
me."

Bob MacWilliam
September 27th 04, 02:41 PM
"JK" > wrote in message >...
> I am 26 yrs old, 157 lbs, 5ft10in. I have a waist of 32 inches. It is not a
> terribly big waist. Nevertheless, I would like to reduce the girth and the
> soft belly. I am also training quite regularly for hypertrophy i.e. I am
> working my chest, shoulders and arms to increase the mass on the upper body.
> I do the presses, squats, bicep curls etc. As supplements, I am taking
> weight gainers and whey protien along with L-glutamine. My average calorie
> intake is 2000-2100 calories per day (inclusive of supplements).
>
> To reduce the waist, I have tried doing situps and crunches for the past two
> weeks and the only outcome it had is I have strained my back badly. I tried
> running on the treadmill and the only effect of that is that I was extremely
> tired and it messed up my weighttraining very badly the next day. After all
> this, my waist has not changed one bit, but my weight has increase 2 lbs in
> 1 month.
>
> Is taking weight gainers working against the waist reduction objective? Will
> I inevitably increase the waist size if I take weight gainers?
> If so, how can I try to reduce my waist without compromising on the
> hypertrophy objectives for the upper body?
> Is there a book/website/video that gives some information about this problem
> in particular i.e. increasing upper upper body mass and reducing waist size?
>
> Any guidance on the above would be welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Jay

It is basically impossible to work toward both of your goals (muscle
growth and fat loss) simultaneously beyond the beginner stage. Of
course you can be larger and leaner one year from now, but you
probably won't get there doing what you're doing. A much better
approach, one that has at lease some chance of success, is to chase
these goals separately. Basically, build muscle and a little fat (and
try not to get too fat), then lose the fat and preserve as much muscle
as possible.

At 5'10'' 157 and a little flabby, you could probably stand to put on
quite a bit of muscle. FWIW I would suggest a moderate bulking cycle
(1-2 lbs gain per week max or you'll just be fat), followed by a fat
loss cycle. You could be bigger and leaner by next summer.

Want to do it at the same time? Well, there's always steroids...

Bob

Jay
September 27th 04, 09:24 PM

> It is basically impossible to work toward both of your goals (muscle
> growth and fat loss) simultaneously beyond the beginner stage.

references? Impossible?

Fish! (mmm Thecla)
September 28th 04, 01:15 AM
In article >,
says...
> > have you tried ?
> >

> Ha Ha. After reading your reply, I have no choice but to spell aloud my
> profund admiration for your precocious talent for humor.
>
> I guess if we dumped you in Afghanistan, the average humor quotient (you can
> also add intelligence to this) in both US and Afghanistan would improve a
> million times.
>
> Peace

Except, you retarded US centric idiot, I'm not in America.

Nice try with the longwinded attempt at humor, needs work, focus on the
humour.

Hugh Beyer
September 28th 04, 02:30 AM
"Jay" > wrote in news:9G_5d.1834$q67.504
@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

>> It is basically impossible to work toward both of your goals (muscle
>> growth and fat loss) simultaneously beyond the beginner stage.
>
> references? Impossible?

This is BB 101 and you would have found 1000 references if you'd bothered to
google it. Go do some research. http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html and
www.bodyrecomposition.com are both good places to start.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Bob MacWilliam
September 28th 04, 01:50 PM
"Jay" > wrote in message

>> It is basically impossible to work toward both of your goals (muscle
>> growth and fat loss) simultaneously beyond the beginner stage.
>
> references? Impossible?

Just do a search on pubmed for pre-contest bodybuilding studies. They
overwhelmingly lose fat AND muscle. If there was any way to lose fat and
GAIN muscle they'd do it. However, your're right in the sense that I should
have added "without complex cyclic dieting and training and/or anabolic
steroids" to the end of that statement.

Bob

Ed
September 29th 04, 12:40 AM
"Bob MacWilliam" > wrote in message

> "Jay" > wrote in message
>>

>>> It is basically impossible to work toward both of your goals (muscle
>>> growth and fat loss) simultaneously beyond the beginner stage.
>>
>> references? Impossible?
>>

> Just do a search on pubmed for pre-contest bodybuilding studies. They
> overwhelmingly lose fat AND muscle. If there was any way to lose fat and
> GAIN muscle they'd do it. However, your're right in the sense that I
> should have added "without complex cyclic dieting and training and/or
> anabolic steroids" to the end of that statement.
>
> Bob

Hummm .... I am loosing fat while gaining muscle. It is my understanding
that gaining muscle is the best way to loose fat. Using FitDay
[www.fitday.com] I calculated how many calories I use a day, how many
calories I burn exercising and how many calories I eat. I work out 6 times
a week alternating between free-weights and cardio each day and eat around
1100 calories less than I burn. I also take whey protien (included in my
calorie total) and Levocarnitine. I am loosing between 1.5 to 2.0 pounds a
week and getting stronger. So I think it is possible to do both at the same
time. In 10 more weeks I should be down to 140 pounds with added muscle.

Edmund

Larry Hodges
September 29th 04, 01:54 AM
Ed wrote:

>>> references? Impossible?
>>>

>> Just do a search on pubmed for pre-contest bodybuilding studies.
>> They overwhelmingly lose fat AND muscle. If there was any way to
>> lose fat and GAIN muscle they'd do it. However, your're right in
>> the sense that I should have added "without complex cyclic dieting
>> and training and/or anabolic steroids" to the end of that statement.
>>
>> Bob
>

> Hummm .... I am loosing fat while gaining muscle. It is my
> understanding that gaining muscle is the best way to loose fat.
> Using FitDay [www.fitday.com] I calculated how many calories I use a
> day, how many calories I burn exercising and how many calories I eat.
> I work out 6 times a week alternating between free-weights and cardio
> each day and eat around 1100 calories less than I burn. I also take
> whey protien (included in my calorie total) and Levocarnitine. I am
> loosing between 1.5 to 2.0 pounds a week and getting stronger. So I
> think it is possible to do both at the same time. In 10 more weeks I
> should be down to 140 pounds with added muscle.
>
> Edmund

Noob gains in strength is all.

Your weight means jack without a BF number with it. Have your BF tested,
then plug your numbers in here:

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WeightBodyComp.html

Make note of your "Lean Weight". In a month, have your BF tested again and
plug in the numbers. That will tell all. (Well, "estimate" all anyway.)

If you're truly eating 1100 calories under maintenance, you are not building
muscle mass.
--
-Larry