PDA

View Full Version : Critique my diet!


Bluesman
September 27th 04, 08:38 PM
Hi everyone ~

37 years old, 175 lbs, 34 inch waist. Baseball player, weight
training for the past decade. off season I use HST and I run 2-3x a
week for a couple of miles. Closer to season I move to a more sport
specific workout. (I like HST - good results and I like the structure
- keeps me motivated in the winter.)

I used to be a middleweight fighter with a 31 inch waist, I want to
add size and strength to fight off injury and stay strong given my
age.

That is the background. I want the elusive "loose fat, gain muscle"
diet.

7:30am

Yogurt or cereal or bagel w/peanut butter
protein shake (EAS MyoPro Whey)

10:30am

Protein shake

12:30pm

Tuna on whole wheat
piece of fruit
2 oz. baked lays

3:30pm
small snack - Sunflower seeds or raisins

6:00pm
Protein shake

8:00pm
1/2 pound chicken, fish, red meat
1-2 potatos
1 cup of veggies (broccoli, peas, carrots, etc.)

9:30pm
snack - almonds, melon, vanilla pudding made w/protein powder

That is a typical day, more or less. There will be an occasional
beer, run to Taco bell or Chinese food, but that is 90% my daily diet.

Suggestions? Things to add, delete?

Thanks,


Bluesman

Ed
September 28th 04, 02:42 AM
Hi

I was wondering if my diet and exercise program was doing me any good. I
posted here and someone suggested I try using FitDay. It is really good.
It calculates your metabolism and you record your activities each day and
the food you have eaten. It has an activity database in it that calculates
how many calories you have burned. This even includes the calories you have
used digesting the foods you have eaten. The food database has heaps of
raw, processed and cooked foods with their calorie and nutrient details.
Its really cool and you can get all sorts of reports out of it on your diet
and fitness. [http://www.fitday.com]

--Edmund


"Bluesman" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi everyone ~
>
> 37 years old, 175 lbs, 34 inch waist. Baseball player, weight
> training for the past decade. off season I use HST and I run 2-3x a
> week for a couple of miles. Closer to season I move to a more sport
> specific workout. (I like HST - good results and I like the structure
> - keeps me motivated in the winter.)
>
> I used to be a middleweight fighter with a 31 inch waist, I want to
> add size and strength to fight off injury and stay strong given my
> age.
>
> That is the background. I want the elusive "loose fat, gain muscle"
> diet.
>
> 7:30am
>
> Yogurt or cereal or bagel w/peanut butter
> protein shake (EAS MyoPro Whey)
>
> 10:30am
>
> Protein shake
>
> 12:30pm
>
> Tuna on whole wheat
> piece of fruit
> 2 oz. baked lays
>
> 3:30pm
> small snack - Sunflower seeds or raisins
>
> 6:00pm
> Protein shake
>
> 8:00pm
> 1/2 pound chicken, fish, red meat
> 1-2 potatos
> 1 cup of veggies (broccoli, peas, carrots, etc.)
>
> 9:30pm
> snack - almonds, melon, vanilla pudding made w/protein powder
>
> That is a typical day, more or less. There will be an occasional
> beer, run to Taco bell or Chinese food, but that is 90% my daily diet.
>
> Suggestions? Things to add, delete?
>
> Thanks,
>
>
> Bluesman

Helgi Briem
September 28th 04, 10:27 AM
On 27 Sep 2004 12:38:44 -0700, (Bluesman)
wrote:
>That is the background. I want the elusive "loose fat, gain muscle"
>diet.

More like "impossible" than "elusive". (And it's "lose", not
"loose").

Unless you're a complete beginner and overweight,
you have 2 choices:

1 - Eat less than maintenance calories and lose weight.
2 - Eat more than maintenance calories and gain weight.

You can't do both at the same time. Lift weights to shift
the weight loss more towards fat than muscle and to
shift the weight gain more towards muscle than fat.

<Snip diet details>

>Suggestions? Things to add, delete?

You're diet looks fine for losing fat. Compeletely useless for
adding muscle. So do one first, then the other. Repeat
as desired.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

"Don't worry about it, son. God is just messing with your head."

Bluesman
September 28th 04, 03:24 PM
Helgi Briem > wrote in message >...
> On 27 Sep 2004 12:38:44 -0700, (Bluesman)
> wrote:
> >That is the background. I want the elusive "loose fat, gain muscle"
> >diet.
>
> More like "impossible" than "elusive". (And it's "lose", not
> "loose").
>
> Unless you're a complete beginner and overweight,
> you have 2 choices:
>
> 1 - Eat less than maintenance calories and lose weight.
> 2 - Eat more than maintenance calories and gain weight.
>
> You can't do both at the same time. Lift weights to shift
> the weight loss more towards fat than muscle and to
> shift the weight gain more towards muscle than fat.
>
> <Snip diet details>
>
> >Suggestions? Things to add, delete?
>
> You're diet looks fine for losing fat. Compeletely useless for
> adding muscle. So do one first, then the other. Repeat
> as desired.


Went to Fitday and did the calculations. The above is about 2500
calories, 192g of protien. That is also about what I burn according
to the site.

How is 192g of protien useless for gaining muscle for a 175 lb man?


Bluesman

Helgi Briem
September 28th 04, 03:37 PM
On 28 Sep 2004 07:24:11 -0700, (Bluesman)
wrote:

>> You're diet looks fine for losing fat. Compeletely useless for
>> adding muscle. So do one first, then the other. Repeat
>> as desired.
>
>
>Went to Fitday and did the calculations. The above is about 2500
>calories, 192g of protien. That is also about what I burn according
>to the site.
>
>How is 192g of protien useless for gaining muscle for a 175 lb man?

192g is more than enough protein for a 175lb man to gain muscle.

2500 kcal is nowhere near enough calories for a 175lb man to gain
muscle.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

"Don't worry about it, son. God is just messing with your head."

Joe Laughlin
September 28th 04, 07:26 PM
Helgi Briem wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2004 12:38:44 -0700,
> (Bluesman) wrote:
>> That is the background. I want the elusive "loose fat,
>> gain muscle" diet.
>
> More like "impossible" than "elusive". (And it's "lose",
> not "loose").

It's not impossible. Just hard.

Blade
September 28th 04, 07:27 PM
>That is the background. I want the elusive "loose fat, gain muscle"
>diet.

No one wants loose fat. That is just gross to look at.

Joe Laughlin
September 28th 04, 07:28 PM
Bluesman wrote:
> Hi everyone ~
>
> 37 years old, 175 lbs, 34 inch waist. Baseball player,
> weight training for the past decade. off season I use
> HST and I run 2-3x a week for a couple of miles. Closer
> to season I move to a more sport specific workout. (I
> like HST - good results and I like the structure - keeps
> me motivated in the winter.)
>
> I used to be a middleweight fighter with a 31 inch waist,
> I want to add size and strength to fight off injury and
> stay strong given my age.
>
> That is the background. I want the elusive "loose fat,
> gain muscle" diet.
>
> 7:30am
>
> Yogurt or cereal or bagel w/peanut butter
> protein shake (EAS MyoPro Whey)
>
> 10:30am
>
> Protein shake
>
> 12:30pm
>
> Tuna on whole wheat
> piece of fruit
> 2 oz. baked lays
>
> 3:30pm
> small snack - Sunflower seeds or raisins
>
> 6:00pm
> Protein shake
>
> 8:00pm
> 1/2 pound chicken, fish, red meat
> 1-2 potatos
> 1 cup of veggies (broccoli, peas, carrots, etc.)
>
> 9:30pm
> snack - almonds, melon, vanilla pudding made w/protein
> powder
>
> That is a typical day, more or less. There will be an
> occasional beer, run to Taco bell or Chinese food, but
> that is 90% my daily diet.
>
> Suggestions? Things to add, delete?
>
> Thanks,
>
>
> Bluesman

Looks pretty good. Only thing I'd suggest is to look into eating EFA's
(essential fatty acids). The nuts and fish are good, but you could probably
get some more (either fish oil or flax).

Hugh Beyer
September 28th 04, 08:00 PM
Helgi Briem > wrote in
:

> On 28 Sep 2004 07:24:11 -0700, (Bluesman)
> wrote:
>
>>> You're diet looks fine for losing fat. Compeletely useless for
>>> adding muscle. So do one first, then the other. Repeat
>>> as desired.
>>
>>
>>Went to Fitday and did the calculations. The above is about 2500
>>calories, 192g of protien. That is also about what I burn according
>>to the site.
>>
>>How is 192g of protien useless for gaining muscle for a 175 lb man?
>
> 192g is more than enough protein for a 175lb man to gain muscle.
>
> 2500 kcal is nowhere near enough calories for a 175lb man to gain
> muscle.

Depends. Some of us have low metabolisms.

For the OP, I'm having good luck with cyclical dieting. Way below
maintenance on weekdays, above on weekends (varies from a little above to
truly astounding pig out). Throw in the occasional week on the road, where
the rule is if it fits in your mouth, eat it and if it doesn't, bite it
until it does.

Weight bobs up and down in a 10lb range, but the abs keep getting more
defined.

Hugh


--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.