PDA

View Full Version : Spyware again

Jim
September 30th 04, 12:09 AM
Sorry to post this but it might be my quickest fix. I have terrible
spyware,adware problems that I cannot seem to fix. Here's what I want to do.
I dont have anything in my comp that I want to save.I just use it for
IM,internet and MFW. Can I just wipe everything out and reinstall with my XP
disk?

Jim

David Cohen
September 30th 04, 12:59 AM
"Jim" > wrote
> Sorry to post this but it might be my quickest fix. I have terrible
> spyware,adware problems that I cannot seem to fix. Here's what I want to
> do.
> I dont have anything in my comp that I want to save.I just use it for
> IM,internet and MFW. Can I just wipe everything out and reinstall with my
> XP
> disk?

I find that scanning with both Spybot and Adaware eliminates all the
problems. And...they're free!

David

Jim Ranieri
September 30th 04, 01:09 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Jim" > wrote
> > Sorry to post this but it might be my quickest fix. I have terrible
> > spyware,adware problems that I cannot seem to fix. Here's what I want to
> > do.
> > I dont have anything in my comp that I want to save.I just use it for
> > IM,internet and MFW. Can I just wipe everything out and reinstall with
my
> > XP
> > disk?
>
> I find that scanning with both Spybot and Adaware eliminates all the
> problems. And...they're free!

....and if that doesn't work, just open the registry and start deleting
everything that looks remotely suspicious.

ff123
September 30th 04, 01:42 AM
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:09:53 -0500, "Jim Ranieri"
> wrote:

>"David Cohen" > wrote in message
nk.net...

>> "Jim" > wrote
>> > Sorry to post this but it might be my quickest fix. I have terrible
>> > spyware,adware problems that I cannot seem to fix. Here's what I want to
>> > do.
>> > I dont have anything in my comp that I want to save.I just use it for
>> > IM,internet and MFW. Can I just wipe everything out and reinstall with
>my
>> > XP
>> > disk?
>>
>> I find that scanning with both Spybot and Adaware eliminates all the
>> problems. And...they're free!
>>

>...and if that doesn't work, just open the registry and start deleting
>everything that looks remotely suspicious.

Sometimes the fix is as easy as checking your installed programs from
the Control Panel and uninstalling ones that shouldn't be there.

ff123

Hoff
September 30th 04, 03:13 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Jim" > wrote
>> Sorry to post this but it might be my quickest fix. I have terrible
>> spyware,adware problems that I cannot seem to fix. Here's what I want to
>> do.
>> I dont have anything in my comp that I want to save.I just use it for
>> IM,internet and MFW. Can I just wipe everything out and reinstall with my
>> XP
>> disk?
>
> I find that scanning with both Spybot and Adaware eliminates all the
> problems. And...they're free!

I actually had to spring for PestPatrol on my kid's computer; Spybot didn't
clean everything.

He then got some kind of crap called nkvd.us. Finally downloaded CWShredder
and got rid of it.

But screw PestPatrol now, the spawn of Satan bought it out.

Hoff
--
Peanuts! Get yer Peanuts!
http://irongarm.org/Files_html_global/peanutgallery2.htm

Steve Freides
September 30th 04, 05:27 AM
"ff123" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:09:53 -0500, "Jim Ranieri"
> > wrote:
>

>>"David Cohen" > wrote in message
nk.net...

>>> "Jim" > wrote
>>my
>>>
>>> I find that scanning with both Spybot and Adaware eliminates all the
>>> problems. And...they're free!
>>>

>>...and if that doesn't work, just open the registry and start deleting
>>everything that looks remotely suspicious.
>
> Sometimes the fix is as easy as checking your installed programs from
> the Control Panel and uninstalling ones that shouldn't be there.

For manually removing adware and the like, this program can be very
useful:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

It works for everything from Windows 98 to the latest XP.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> ff123

ray miller
September 30th 04, 08:20 PM
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:09:31 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:

>Sorry to post this but it might be my quickest fix. I have terrible
>spyware,adware problems that I cannot seem to fix. Here's what I want to do.
>I dont have anything in my comp that I want to save.I just use it for
>IM,internet and MFW. Can I just wipe everything out and reinstall with my XP
>disk?

Yes.
But you must take some care. Before you wipe the computer make sure
you get the full XP SP2 executable downloaded and burned to CD. Also
make sure you have a currently copy of your favourite anti-virus
software and the latest updates. And make sure you have a good version
of a software firewall.
Re-install XP, the anti-virus and the firewall and get them all
updated before you even think about connecting to the net. If you
connect with a virgin XPO system it'll be infected before you have a
chance of getting it updated.

Ray
--
rmnsuk
273/183/182

MJL
October 1st 04, 03:42 AM
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:20:34 GMT, ray miller
> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:09:31 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:
>
>>Sorry to post this but it might be my quickest fix. I have terrible
>>spyware,adware problems that I cannot seem to fix. Here's what I want to do.
>>I dont have anything in my comp that I want to save.I just use it for
>>IM,internet and MFW. Can I just wipe everything out and reinstall with my XP
>>disk?
>
>Yes.
>But you must take some care. Before you wipe the computer make sure
>you get the full XP SP2 executable downloaded and burned to CD. Also
>make sure you have a currently copy of your favourite anti-virus
>software and the latest updates. And make sure you have a good version
>of a software firewall.
>Re-install XP, the anti-virus and the firewall and get them all
>updated before you even think about connecting to the net. If you
>connect with a virgin XPO system it'll be infected before you have a
>chance of getting it updated.
>
>Ray

Good advice.

When a PC is that badly compromised it is a good idea to start over.
One other thing to do before you start is download and burn all the
drivers for your system. If you have a Dell, for example, this will
be pretty easy as you can get them all from the Dell website. This
may not be absolutely necessary since WinXP is pretty darn good at
getting a system up and running on its own (way better than prior
versions of Windows). However, it would not hurt to have the updated
drivers handy just in case. You can probably fit all the drivers for
the PC on one CD.

--
http://www.texansfortruth.org/

Todd Walker
October 1st 04, 03:29 PM
MJL > wrote in message >...
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:20:34 GMT, ray miller
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:09:31 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:
> >
> >>Sorry to post this but it might be my quickest fix. I have terrible
> >>spyware,adware problems that I cannot seem to fix. Here's what I want to do.
> >>I dont have anything in my comp that I want to save.I just use it for
> >>IM,internet and MFW. Can I just wipe everything out and reinstall with my XP
> >>disk?
> >
> >Yes.
> >But you must take some care. Before you wipe the computer make sure
> >you get the full XP SP2 executable downloaded and burned to CD. Also
> >make sure you have a currently copy of your favourite anti-virus
> >software and the latest updates. And make sure you have a good version
> >of a software firewall.
> >Re-install XP, the anti-virus and the firewall and get them all
> >updated before you even think about connecting to the net. If you
> >connect with a virgin XPO system it'll be infected before you have a
> >chance of getting it updated.
> >
> >Ray
>
> Good advice.
>
> When a PC is that badly compromised it is a good idea to start over.
> One other thing to do before you start is download and burn all the
> drivers for your system. If you have a Dell, for example, this will
> be pretty easy as you can get them all from the Dell website. This
> may not be absolutely necessary since WinXP is pretty darn good at
> getting a system up and running on its own (way better than prior
> versions of Windows). However, it would not hurt to have the updated
> drivers handy just in case. You can probably fit all the drivers for
> the PC on one CD.

I keep getting rid of my spyware with Ad-aware but it always comes
back. I am not downloading anything either. Why is this happening?

John M. Williams
October 1st 04, 05:31 PM
(Todd Walker) wrote:
>MJL > wrote:
>> ray miller > wrote:

>> >Yes.
>> >But you must take some care. Before you wipe the computer make sure
>> >you get the full XP SP2 executable downloaded and burned to CD. Also
>> >make sure you have a currently copy of your favourite anti-virus
>> >software and the latest updates. And make sure you have a good version
>> >of a software firewall.
>> >Re-install XP, the anti-virus and the firewall and get them all
>> >updated before you even think about connecting to the net. If you
>> >connect with a virgin XPO system it'll be infected before you have a
>> >chance of getting it updated.
>> >
>> >Ray
>>
>> Good advice.
>>
>> When a PC is that badly compromised it is a good idea to start over.
>> One other thing to do before you start is download and burn all the
>> drivers for your system. If you have a Dell, for example, this will
>> be pretty easy as you can get them all from the Dell website. This
>> may not be absolutely necessary since WinXP is pretty darn good at
>> getting a system up and running on its own (way better than prior
>> versions of Windows). However, it would not hurt to have the updated
>> drivers handy just in case. You can probably fit all the drivers for
>> the PC on one CD.
>
>I keep getting rid of my spyware with Ad-aware but it always comes
>back. I am not downloading anything either. Why is this happening?

Some scumware will bury executables in your root directory or other
places you don't expect them, along with some registry entries, and on
start-up, they will re-create the spyware system, often using random
names for the new files which are not in Ad-Aware's database. The
only way to exorcise that stuff is to find the originating file and
registry entries.

bc
October 1st 04, 05:42 PM
ray miller > wrote in message >...
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:09:31 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:
>
> >Sorry to post this but it might be my quickest fix. I have terrible
> >spyware,adware problems that I cannot seem to fix. Here's what I want to do.
> >I dont have anything in my comp that I want to save.I just use it for
> >IM,internet and MFW. Can I just wipe everything out and reinstall with my XP
> >disk?
>
> Yes.
> But you must take some care. Before you wipe the computer make sure
> you get the full XP SP2 executable downloaded and burned to CD. Also
> make sure you have a currently copy of your favourite anti-virus
> software and the latest updates. And make sure you have a good version
> of a software firewall.
> Re-install XP, the anti-virus and the firewall and get them all
> updated before you even think about connecting to the net. If you
> connect with a virgin XPO system it'll be infected before you have a
> chance of getting it updated.
>
> Ray

OK, so I'm contemplating doing exactly this. Just how do I get the
full XP SP2 executable downloaded and burned to a CD?

- BC

gman99
October 1st 04, 06:05 PM
John M. Williams > wrote:
> (Todd Walker) wrote:
> >MJL > wrote:

> >> Good advice.
> >>
> >> When a PC is that badly compromised it is a good idea to start over.
> >> One other thing to do before you start is download and burn all the
> >> drivers for your system. If you have a Dell, for example, this will
> >> be pretty easy as you can get them all from the Dell website. This
> >> may not be absolutely necessary since WinXP is pretty darn good at
> >> getting a system up and running on its own (way better than prior
> >> versions of Windows). However, it would not hurt to have the updated
> >> drivers handy just in case. You can probably fit all the drivers for
> >> the PC on one CD.
> >
> >I keep getting rid of my spyware with Ad-aware but it always comes
> >back. I am not downloading anything either. Why is this happening?
>
> Some scumware will bury executables in your root directory or other
> places you don't expect them, along with some registry entries, and on
> start-up, they will re-create the spyware system, often using random
> names for the new files which are not in Ad-Aware's database. The
> only way to exorcise that stuff is to find the originating file and
> registry entries.

I found HIJACKTHIS a very useful tool in cleaning registry entries...do a
google search for it.

MJL
October 1st 04, 09:35 PM
On 1 Oct 2004 07:29:37 -0700, (Todd Walker) wrote:

>MJL > wrote in message >...
>> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:20:34 GMT, ray miller
>> > wrote:

>> >Yes.
>> >But you must take some care. Before you wipe the computer make sure
>> >you get the full XP SP2 executable downloaded and burned to CD. Also
>> >make sure you have a currently copy of your favourite anti-virus
>> >software and the latest updates. And make sure you have a good version
>> >of a software firewall.
>> >Re-install XP, the anti-virus and the firewall and get them all
>> >updated before you even think about connecting to the net. If you
>> >connect with a virgin XPO system it'll be infected before you have a
>> >chance of getting it updated.
>> >
>> >Ray
>>
>> Good advice.
>>
>> When a PC is that badly compromised it is a good idea to start over.
>> One other thing to do before you start is download and burn all the
>> drivers for your system. If you have a Dell, for example, this will
>> be pretty easy as you can get them all from the Dell website. This
>> may not be absolutely necessary since WinXP is pretty darn good at
>> getting a system up and running on its own (way better than prior
>> versions of Windows). However, it would not hurt to have the updated
>> drivers handy just in case. You can probably fit all the drivers for
>> the PC on one CD.
>
>I keep getting rid of my spyware with Ad-aware but it always comes
>back. I am not downloading anything either. Why is this happening?

Because you have a compromised system. The programs are literally
reinstalling themselves. Dude, don't do ANYthing on that PC that
might compromise your financial information.

I'd take it to a "computer repair shop" and just pay what they want to
fix it.

--
http://www.texansfortruth.org/

Jim
October 2nd 04, 12:50 AM
Well..after some research...I used Ad-Aware. Had to go to lavasoft or
something then it directed me to a mirror site to download it. That seems to
have fixed it for free.I'm amazed. It seems to have worked. Anyways..Mcafee
should take care of this stuff. I pay for that.

Jim