PDA

View Full Version : Glucosamine Chondroitin and water retention

Jerry Freedman
September 30th 04, 01:16 AM
I am a semi pro trumpet player with a large upper lip that swells with
colds and especially prednisone ( water retention). When my upper lip
gets puffy my playing goes down hill. Right now I am healthy, no
prednisone but I do have a back problem and I started taking GC
Friday, large doses and I find my lip swelling. Could it be the GC?

J. Freedman

Steve Freides
September 30th 04, 01:56 PM
"Jerry Freedman" > wrote in message
om...
>I am a semi pro trumpet player with a large upper lip that swells with
> colds and especially prednisone ( water retention). When my upper lip
> gets puffy my playing goes down hill. Right now I am healthy, no
> prednisone but I do have a back problem and I started taking GC
> Friday, large doses and I find my lip swelling. Could it be the GC?

I suggest you ask on a newsgroup or other forum where people are more
familiar with long-term prednisone useage, e.g., alt.support.asthma.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> J. Freedman

Jerry Freedman
September 30th 04, 06:19 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> "Jerry Freedman" > wrote in message
> om...
> >I am a semi pro trumpet player with a large upper lip that swells with
> > colds and especially prednisone ( water retention). When my upper lip
> > gets puffy my playing goes down hill. Right now I am healthy, no
> > prednisone but I do have a back problem and I started taking GC
> > Friday, large doses and I find my lip swelling. Could it be the GC?
>
> I suggest you ask on a newsgroup or other forum where people are more
> familiar with long-term prednisone useage, e.g., alt.support.asthma.
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com
>
> > J. Freedman

I guess I wasn't clear. I know all about prednisone. I'm asking about
glucosamine/chondroitin

DoctorElefant
September 30th 04, 10:23 PM
In message-id: >

"Jerry Freedman" wrote:

>"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> "Jerry Freedman" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> >I am a semi pro trumpet player with a large upper lip that swells with
>> > colds and especially prednisone ( water retention). When my upper lip
>> > gets puffy my playing goes down hill. Right now I am healthy, no
>> > prednisone but I do have a back problem and I started taking GC
>> > Friday, large doses and I find my lip swelling. Could it be the GC?
>>
>> I suggest you ask on a newsgroup or other forum where people are more
>> familiar with long-term prednisone useage, e.g., alt.support.asthma.
>>

>I guess I wasn't clear. I know all about prednisone. I'm asking about
>glucosamine/chondroitin

Chondroitin is believed to promote water retention and elasticity in cartilage
and inhibit enzymes that break down cartilage. I don't think any studies found
that it would cause associated swelling in the lips though. You say you're
using "large doses." I don't know how large, or if it is in excess of what the
manufacturer recommends, but you might try taking less and see if there's any
less swelling. Hope it works out for you.

DocE
--------
"The future ain't what it used to be." -Yogi Berra

Steve Freides
September 30th 04, 10:52 PM
"Jerry Freedman" > wrote in message

> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> "Jerry Freedman" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> >I am a semi pro trumpet player with a large upper lip that swells
>> >with
>> > colds and especially prednisone ( water retention). When my upper
>> > lip
>> > gets puffy my playing goes down hill. Right now I am healthy, no
>> > prednisone but I do have a back problem and I started taking GC
>> > Friday, large doses and I find my lip swelling. Could it be the GC?

I don't believe so. Lots of folks take it and talk about it regularly -
if it's causing water retention in you, you'll be the first time I've
heard about it. I am no expert, your mileage may vary, Google it
yourself if you want to know more, etc.

Steve "prednisone sitting in my medicine cabinet, thank you" Freides
http://www.kbnj.com

>> I suggest you ask on a newsgroup or other forum where people are more
>> familiar with long-term prednisone useage, e.g., alt.support.asthma.
>>
>> -S-
>> http://www.kbnj.com
>>
>> > J. Freedman
>>

> I guess I wasn't clear. I know all about prednisone. I'm asking about
> glucosamine/chondroitin

James Fulkerson
October 19th 04, 07:36 PM
Dear Jerry,
In my experience, I feel that I retain water when taking glucosamine and
also see it it with the scales.Not a lot of weight mind you - perhaps 1.5
kilos... I also happen to be a trombonist but obviously a swelling lip would
be less problematic for me.
Jim Fulkerson