PDA

View Full Version : Fitness and nutrition

Sebastien Benoit
September 30th 04, 03:52 AM
Hi,

I'm a 18 years old boy who started training seriously 3 weeks ago. I
go training 5 times a week and I do some musculation and some cardio
each day.

With that trend, I also stoped eating junk food and cutted on sugar
and salt. But I also noticed that I eat less.

Does eating less than normaly is a good idea? (I want to gain some
volume, but not fat, muscles). I'm not fat, but I still have anough
fat to hide a possible six-pack. But now my mother worries that I
don't get anough food and she tells me that because I'm training I
should eat more, not less.

In other words, I would like to gain some muscle volume and to lose
that tiny extra-fat, but I'm not sure what's the appropriate diet for
it (because I think that eating less + doing cardio + musculation =
less fat, but not much more muscles)

I friend of mine told me to eat some nuts after my work out to get
some proteins for my muscles to grow up.

Can someone advise me?

Thanks (Please don't look to much at my english, I't not my primary
language)

Jim
September 30th 04, 06:01 AM
"Sebastien Benoit" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi,
>
> I'm a 18 years old boy who started training seriously 3 weeks ago. I
> go training 5 times a week and I do some musculation and some cardio
> each day.
>
> With that trend, I also stoped eating junk food and cutted on sugar
> and salt. But I also noticed that I eat less.
>
> Does eating less than normaly is a good idea? (I want to gain some
> volume, but not fat, muscles). I'm not fat, but I still have anough
> fat to hide a possible six-pack. But now my mother worries that I
> don't get anough food and she tells me that because I'm training I
> should eat more, not less.
>
> In other words, I would like to gain some muscle volume and to lose
> that tiny extra-fat, but I'm not sure what's the appropriate diet for
> it (because I think that eating less + doing cardio + musculation =
> less fat, but not much more muscles)
>
> I friend of mine told me to eat some nuts after my work out to get
> some proteins for my muscles to grow up.
>
> Can someone advise me?

Keep reading MFW..the best thing after a workout is a whey drink with high
carb..like Twinlab Ultra fuel mixed with whey.

Jim

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
September 30th 04, 12:24 PM
Sebastien Benoit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a 18 years old boy who started training seriously 3 weeks ago.

Great!

> go training 5 times a week and I do some musculation and some cardio
> each day.

What kind of weight training are you doing? Are you doing different
kinds of exercises on different days? Or the same thing every day?

You should alternate what exercises you do for your muscles - they need
some rest between workouts. If you do weightlifting 3 days a week(say
monday, wednesday and friday) and cardio the other two days - that might
work better for you.

> With that trend, I also stoped eating junk food and cutted on sugar
> and salt. But I also noticed that I eat less.

That happens sometimes - exercising hard sometimes will lower your
appetite. Try to eat 5 or 6 times a day.

> Does eating less than normaly is a good idea? (I want to gain some
> volume, but not fat, muscles). I'm not fat, but I still have anough
> fat to hide a possible six-pack. But now my mother worries that I
> don't get anough food and she tells me that because I'm training I
> should eat more, not less.

Your mother is right - you should eat more (or at least the same amount
- not less). If you're not already fat, just work on building muscles -
that means eating enough good food, especially protein. You should try
to eat about 1.5-2 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight, every
day (not just on workout days). If you don't eat enough food, your body
won't be able to build muscles. You can find out how many calories you
need with this calculator:
http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

And don't forget to get enough rest. Your muscles grow on rest days so
giving them rest between weightlifting is important.

> In other words, I would like to gain some muscle volume and to lose
> that tiny extra-fat, but I'm not sure what's the appropriate diet for
> it (because I think that eating less + doing cardio + musculation =
> less fat, but not much more muscles)

As a beginner, if you're working hard, you shouldn't have to worry about
the fat - as you grow your muscles, you'll use more calories and you'll
probably lose some fat at the same time.

> I friend of mine told me to eat some nuts after my work out to get
> some proteins for my muscles to grow up.

Nuts are good protein but can be high in fat and calories. Eating SOME
nuts is good - eating kilograms of nuts every day is too much. Try to
find foods you enjoy eating that are high in protein - and eat those. If
you drink milk, that's a great source of protein. Drink some before and
after your workout.

> Can someone advise me?
>
> Thanks (Please don't look to much at my english, I't not my primary
> language)

Your english is very understandable.

Good luck.

Anna

sebb
September 30th 04, 11:01 PM
> What kind of weight training are you doing? Are you doing different
> kinds of exercises on different days? Or the same thing every day?

One day I do my biceps, triceps, pecs, shoulders and the next I do my
back and legs, but I do my Abs every day.

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
October 1st 04, 08:44 AM
sebb wrote:
>> What kind of weight training are you doing? Are you doing different
>> kinds of exercises on different days? Or the same thing every day?
>

> One day I do my biceps, triceps, pecs, shoulders and the next I do my
> back and legs, but I do my Abs every day.

Okay, so basically an upperbody/lowerbody split. Some folks would
suggest doing your abs every other day just like any muscle. I do mine
on Lowerbody day - after I'm done with squats/deadlifts... That way,
they're not fatigued when I need them for the big exercises.

Anna