PDA

View Full Version : Song of Bernadette

Jim
September 30th 04, 04:38 AM
Is this the most beautiful thing you ever heard?

Jim

Proton Soup
September 30th 04, 05:25 AM
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:38:52 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:

>Is this the most beautiful thing you ever heard?
>
>Jim

I can't hear a damn thing.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Jim
September 30th 04, 05:39 AM
"Proton Soup" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:38:52 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:
>
> >Is this the most beautiful thing you ever heard?
> >
> >Jim
>
> I can't hear a damn thing.

I couldnt either..till I listened.. Rhapsody.. 10 bucks a month.
Anyway..its an Aaron Neville song. Its cool.

Jim

Jim
September 30th 04, 07:36 AM
"Brandon Berg" > wrote in message
> "Jim" > wrote in message

> >> I can't hear a damn thing.
> >
> > I couldnt either..till I listened.. Rhapsody.. 10 bucks a month.
> > Anyway..its an Aaron Neville song. Its cool.
>
> I've never liked Aaron Neville much. What's the deal with that thing he
does
> with his voice? Judy Collins' version is better, IMO.
>
> ...Are we allowed to talk about Aaron Neville and/or Judy Collins on MFW?
>
> --
Indeed..I hate to argue with you at this ungodly hour...but Aaron Neville's
version of "Song of Bernadette" rules!

Jim

Brandon Berg
September 30th 04, 07:36 AM
"Jim" > wrote in message
> "Proton Soup" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:38:52 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:
>> >Is this the most beautiful thing you ever heard?
>> >
>> >Jim
>>
>> I can't hear a damn thing.
>
> I couldnt either..till I listened.. Rhapsody.. 10 bucks a month.
> Anyway..its an Aaron Neville song. Its cool.

I've never liked Aaron Neville much. What's the deal with that thing he does
with his voice? Judy Collins' version is better, IMO.

....Are we allowed to talk about Aaron Neville and/or Judy Collins on MFW?

--
Brandon Berg
Fix the obvious homonym substitution to reply.

Jim
September 30th 04, 07:40 AM
"Brandon Berg" > wrote in message
> "Jim" > wrote in message

> >> I can't hear a damn thing.
> >
> > I couldnt either..till I listened.. Rhapsody.. 10 bucks a month.
> > Anyway..its an Aaron Neville song. Its cool.
>
> I've never liked Aaron Neville much. What's the deal with that thing he
does
> with his voice? Judy Collins' version is better, IMO.
>
> ...Are we allowed to talk about Aaron Neville and/or Judy Collins on MFW?

And yer damn right we can talk about that on MFW.
Nothing is forbidden.

Jim

Neil Gendzwill
September 30th 04, 04:30 PM
Jim wrote:

> "Proton Soup" > wrote in message
>
>>On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:38:52 -0400, "Jim" > wrote:
>>

>>>Is this the most beautiful thing you ever heard?
>>>
>>>Jim
>>
>>I can't hear a damn thing.
>

> I couldnt either..till I listened.. Rhapsody.. 10 bucks a month.
> Anyway..its an Aaron Neville song. Its cool.

Not Aaron Neville, it's a Leonard Cohen song. Cool that Aaron's
covering it. If you like it, check out "Famous Blue Raincoat", where
Jennifer Warnes covers that one and a number of other Cohen songs.
Fabulous stuff.

Neil

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
September 30th 04, 06:18 PM
Neil Gendzwill wrote:
> Jim wrote:

>>> I can't hear a damn thing.
>>

>> I couldnt either..till I listened.. Rhapsody.. 10 bucks a month.
>> Anyway..its an Aaron Neville song. Its cool.
>

> Not Aaron Neville, it's a Leonard Cohen song. Cool that Aaron's
> covering it. If you like it, check out "Famous Blue Raincoat", where
> Jennifer Warnes covers that one and a number of other Cohen songs.
> Fabulous stuff.
>
> Neil

Or better yet, get some Leonard Cohen. The lyrics are AWESOME!
Particularly his version of "Halleluiah".

LEONARD COHEN
"Hallelujah"

Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Anna

Neil Gendzwill
September 30th 04, 06:35 PM
Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:

> Or better yet, get some Leonard Cohen.

I like him, but raw Leonard is a bit much for some people. Like Tom
Waits, his songs are something most people appreciate but the vocals are
an acquired taste. I have seen Cohen live, he is a marvelously
entertaining guy. He could have just told stories all night and I would
have been happy.

Neil

elzinator
October 1st 04, 12:41 AM
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:18:27 GMT, Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:

>Or better yet, get some Leonard Cohen. The lyrics are AWESOME!
>Particularly his version of "Halleluiah".

Leonard Cohen can't sing worth crap, but man can he write poetry.

My ultimate all time, longtime favorite is "Bird On a Wire"
That song has carried me through my teens and adult life.
Reminds me of my post-senior year in high school when I worked at a
coffee house, and the owner (Jerry Raven, of Buffalo) was an
accomplished singer/guitarist. His rendition of this song was the most
passionate that I can remember. I was always near tears whenever he
sang it. That's a rarity.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
Like a worm on a hook,
like a knight from some old fashioned book
I have saved all my ribbons for thee.
If I, if I have been unkind,
I hope that you can just let it go by.
If I, if I have been untrue
I hope you know it was never to you.

Like a baby, stillborn,
like a beast with his horn
I have torn everyone who reached out for me.
But I swear by this song
and by all that I have done wrong
I will make it all up to thee.
I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch,
he said to me, "You must not ask for so much."
And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door,
she cried to me, "Hey, why not ask for more?"

Oh like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

http://www.serve.com/cpage/LCohen/

Beelzibub

"Modern man must rediscover a deeper source of his own spiritual life. To do this,he is obligated
to struggle with evil, to confront his own shadow, to integrate the devil."
- Carl Jung

elzinator
October 1st 04, 12:41 AM
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:35:02 -0600, Neil Gendzwill wrote:
>Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:
>
>> Or better yet, get some Leonard Cohen.
>
>I like him, but raw Leonard is a bit much for some people. Like Tom
>Waits, his songs are something most people appreciate but the vocals are
>an acquired taste. I have seen Cohen live, he is a marvelously
>entertaining guy. He could have just told stories all night and I would
>have been happy.

Tom Waits rocks.

Beelzibub

"Modern man must rediscover a deeper source of his own spiritual life. To do this,he is obligated
to struggle with evil, to confront his own shadow, to integrate the devil."
- Carl Jung

Keith Hobman
October 1st 04, 08:03 PM
In article >, nospam.net wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:18:27 GMT, Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:
>
> >Or better yet, get some Leonard Cohen. The lyrics are AWESOME!
> >Particularly his version of "Halleluiah".
>
> Leonard Cohen can't sing worth crap, but man can he write poetry.

I still like him as an artist. He has courage to even try and sing with
that voice - and his lyrics are haunting. His music is good. If he could
sing...

Jim
October 2nd 04, 12:19 AM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article >, nospam.net wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:18:27 GMT, Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:
> >
> > >Or better yet, get some Leonard Cohen. The lyrics are AWESOME!
> > >Particularly his version of "Halleluiah".
> >
> > Leonard Cohen can't sing worth crap, but man can he write poetry.
>
> I still like him as an artist. He has courage to even try and sing with
> that voice - and his lyrics are haunting. His music is good. If he could
> sing...

I had a friend who was big on Leonard Cohen. He lent me Cohens greatest hits
but all I listened to was "Suzanne" Haunting,pretty song. I may have to
listen to some of his other stuff. I'll see if its on Rhapsody.

Jim

Jim
October 2nd 04, 01:16 AM
"Neil Gendzwill" > wrote in message
> Jim wrote:

> >>I can't hear a damn thing.
> >

> > I couldnt either..till I listened.. Rhapsody.. 10 bucks a month.
> > Anyway..its an Aaron Neville song. Its cool.
>
> Not Aaron Neville, it's a Leonard Cohen song. Cool that Aaron's
> covering it. If you like it, check out "Famous Blue Raincoat", where
> Jennifer Warnes covers that one and a number of other Cohen songs.
> Fabulous stuff.
>
> Neil

I can't find it..A Leonard Cohen album?

Jim

Keith Hobman
October 2nd 04, 02:18 PM
In article >, "Jim"
> wrote:

> "Neil Gendzwill" > wrote in message
> > Jim wrote:

> > > I couldnt either..till I listened.. Rhapsody.. 10 bucks a month.
> > > Anyway..its an Aaron Neville song. Its cool.
> >
> > Not Aaron Neville, it's a Leonard Cohen song. Cool that Aaron's
> > covering it. If you like it, check out "Famous Blue Raincoat", where
> > Jennifer Warnes covers that one and a number of other Cohen songs.
> > Fabulous stuff.
> >
> > Neil
> >
> I can't find it..A Leonard Cohen album?

Covers of Cohen by people who can sing...

:^)

Tiger Hillside
October 2nd 04, 06:12 PM
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 07:18:05 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote:

>In article >, "Jim"
> wrote:

>> > Not Aaron Neville, it's a Leonard Cohen song. Cool that Aaron's
>> > covering it. If you like it, check out "Famous Blue Raincoat", where
>> > Jennifer Warnes covers that one and a number of other Cohen songs.
>> > Fabulous stuff.
>> >
>> > Neil
>> >
>> I can't find it..A Leonard Cohen album?
>
>Covers of Cohen by people who can sing...
>
>:^)

K.D. Lang just recorded "Hallelujah" on a collection called "Hymns of
the 49th Parallel". Maybe not as good as a Buckley version, but really
quite wonderful. For great Cohen covers you can't beat the firstish,
Judy Collins doing "Dress Rehearsal Rag".