PDA

View Full Version : bench press with head off bench, feet on toes

zxcv
October 1st 04, 04:04 PM
I see most of the really big (shirted) benches done with the head off
of the bench and the feet under the body on the toes.

How does this help? I always bench raw with my feet flat and my head
on the bench (as is/was usually the rule where I lift). Is this a
shirt only advantage?

Lyle McDonald
October 1st 04, 04:06 PM
zxcv wrote:

> I see most of the really big (shirted) benches done with the head off
> of the bench and the feet under the body on the toes.
>
> How does this help? I always bench raw with my feet flat and my head
> on the bench (as is/was usually the rule where I lift). Is this a
> shirt only advantage?

Yes. The tightness of the shirt seems to reauire lifters to lift their
head to even get teh bar to the chest.

Feet on toes lets you arch more.

Real federations don't allow it.

Lyle

Lampi
October 5th 04, 08:17 PM
Lyle McDonald wrote:
> zxcv wrote:
>
>> I see most of the really big (shirted) benches done with the head off
>> of the bench and the feet under the body on the toes.
>>
>> How does this help? I always bench raw with my feet flat and my head
>> on the bench (as is/was usually the rule where I lift). Is this a
>> shirt only advantage?
>

> Yes. The tightness of the shirt seems to reauire lifters to lift their
> head to even get teh bar to the chest.
>
> Feet on toes lets you arch more.
>
> Real federations don't allow it.
>
> Lyle

You can lift your head in IPF. However if you come up too high the
shoulders can come off resulting in red flags (happened to me).

As well as getting the bar to touch with a shirt on, I find that when
you go into the pressing motion it FEELS like you're giving momentum to
the bar --ie. throwing everything into it. I have no basis for
this---just an anecdote.

Mark

Lyle McDonald
October 5th 04, 08:59 PM
Lampi wrote:
> Lyle McDonald wrote:
>
>> zxcv wrote:
>>
>>> I see most of the really big (shirted) benches done with the head off
>>> of the bench and the feet under the body on the toes.
>>>
>>> How does this help? I always bench raw with my feet flat and my head
>>> on the bench (as is/was usually the rule where I lift). Is this a
>>> shirt only advantage?
>>

>> Yes. The tightness of the shirt seems to reauire lifters to lift
>> their head to even get teh bar to the chest.
>>
>> Feet on toes lets you arch more.
>>
>> Real federations don't allow it.
>>
>> Lyle
>>
> You can lift your head in IPF. However if you come up too high the
> shoulders can come off resulting in red flags (happened to me).

Note that this seems to be a recent rules change (made also in the
USAPL), to allow silly gear.

I think it's a mistake.

Lyle

Lampi
October 6th 04, 02:20 PM
Lyle McDonald wrote:
> Lampi wrote:
>
>> Lyle McDonald wrote:

>>> Yes. The tightness of the shirt seems to reauire lifters to lift
>>> their head to even get teh bar to the chest.
>>>
>>> Feet on toes lets you arch more.
>>>
>>> Real federations don't allow it.
>>>
>>> Lyle
>>>
>> You can lift your head in IPF. However if you come up too high the
>> shoulders can come off resulting in red flags (happened to me).
>

> Note that this seems to be a recent rules change (made also in the
> USAPL), to allow silly gear.

I guess they're trying to improve sport popularity, and nobody wants to
join a fed where they can't bench as much as they like. That said, I
can't see any way that they'll go to doubles/denims etc.