PDA

View Full Version : Chest cramp during deadlift

Kevin
October 2nd 04, 04:06 AM
Has anyone experienced this or know what causes it and how to prevent
it? When I do the standard deadlift I'm fine until I try to lift a
weight that's heavy for me, then one of my pecs cramps up on me.
First it was the left one, so I alternated my grip thinking that may
have something to do with it. Then the other pec cramped. I also
tried warming up the pecs a little before doing the deadlifts, but
that hasn't helped much. I can only get 2 or 3 reps because of these
cramps, otherwise I'm sure I could get more.

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Kevin J. Coolidge
October 2nd 04, 04:15 AM
I have experienced it. Though it's only speculation, I believe in my case it
comes from an older inury in my chest, and the extreme effort of the lift
causes it to be under a strain it isn't usually put under and it responds by
cramping. It's only the pec that has an injury that I experience it in, and
only once in a while. It doesn't repond that way when stressed in a all
effort bench.
"Kevin" > wrote in message
om...
> Has anyone experienced this or know what causes it and how to prevent
> it? When I do the standard deadlift I'm fine until I try to lift a
> weight that's heavy for me, then one of my pecs cramps up on me.
> First it was the left one, so I alternated my grip thinking that may
> have something to do with it. Then the other pec cramped. I also
> tried warming up the pecs a little before doing the deadlifts, but
> that hasn't helped much. I can only get 2 or 3 reps because of these
> cramps, otherwise I'm sure I could get more.
>
> Any help or input would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Kromagnon
October 2nd 04, 08:47 AM
Kevin wrote:
> Has anyone experienced this or know what causes it and how
> prevent it? When I do the standard deadlift I'm fine until
I try
> to lift a weight that's heavy for me, then one of my pecs
cramps up
> on me. First it was the left one, so I alternated my grip
thinking
> that may have something to do with it. Then the other pec
cramped.
> I also tried warming up the pecs a little before doing the
> deadlifts, but that hasn't helped much. I can only get 2 or
3 reps
> because of these cramps, otherwise I'm sure I could get
more.

> Any help or input would be appreciated.

An electrolyte (potassium/sodium) imbalance or dehydration can
cause cramps. Drink a sports drink or water before and during
exercise.

Doing some light pec flys would help stretch out your pecs. Do
some twists and stretching before exercise and see if that
helps.

> Thanks.

Kevin
October 2nd 04, 02:51 PM
"Kevin J. Coolidge" > wrote in message >...
> I have experienced it. Though it's only speculation, I believe in my case it
> comes from an older inury in my chest, and the extreme effort of the lift
> causes it to be under a strain it isn't usually put under and it responds by
> cramping. It's only the pec that has an injury that I experience it in, and
> only once in a while. It doesn't repond that way when stressed in a all
> effort bench.
> "Kevin" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Has anyone experienced this or know what causes it and how to prevent
> > it? When I do the standard deadlift I'm fine until I try to lift a
> > weight that's heavy for me, then one of my pecs cramps up on me.
> > First it was the left one, so I alternated my grip thinking that may
> > have something to do with it. Then the other pec cramped. I also
> > tried warming up the pecs a little before doing the deadlifts, but
> > that hasn't helped much. I can only get 2 or 3 reps because of these
> > cramps, otherwise I'm sure I could get more.
> >
> > Any help or input would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.

I thought the same thing, but I don't recall ever having such an
injury, and then when it happened to my right pec I knew it had to be
something else. I don't get any kind of cramp when I do chest work no
matter how heavy I go. So far, my only conclusion is that there must
be something wrong with my form. I know a lot of powerlifters powder
their thighs when they deadlift to make the bar move smoother and I
was thinking maybe I'm not holding the bar close enough to the body
though I haven't noticed this.

Kevin J. Coolidge
October 2nd 04, 03:20 PM
I doubt the cramps are caused by an imbalance of electrolytes. That's not
actually very common, and doesn't sound like your cramps. It sound like you
may have some adhesions in the pec muscle. I friend reccommended I get
massage for the pec.I'll let you know, but you may want to try that too.
Deep tissue massage

"Kevin" > wrote in message
om...
> "Kevin J. Coolidge" > wrote in message
>> I have experienced it. Though it's only speculation, I believe in my case
>> it
>> comes from an older inury in my chest, and the extreme effort of the lift
>> causes it to be under a strain it isn't usually put under and it responds
>> by
>> cramping. It's only the pec that has an injury that I experience it in,
>> and
>> only once in a while. It doesn't repond that way when stressed in a all
>> effort bench.
>> "Kevin" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> > Has anyone experienced this or know what causes it and how to prevent
>> > it? When I do the standard deadlift I'm fine until I try to lift a
>> > weight that's heavy for me, then one of my pecs cramps up on me.
>> > First it was the left one, so I alternated my grip thinking that may
>> > have something to do with it. Then the other pec cramped. I also
>> > tried warming up the pecs a little before doing the deadlifts, but
>> > that hasn't helped much. I can only get 2 or 3 reps because of these
>> > cramps, otherwise I'm sure I could get more.
>> >
>> > Any help or input would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>
> I thought the same thing, but I don't recall ever having such an
> injury, and then when it happened to my right pec I knew it had to be
> something else. I don't get any kind of cramp when I do chest work no
> matter how heavy I go. So far, my only conclusion is that there must
> be something wrong with my form. I know a lot of powerlifters powder
> their thighs when they deadlift to make the bar move smoother and I
> was thinking maybe I'm not holding the bar close enough to the body
> though I haven't noticed this.

Raugh
October 2nd 04, 08:27 PM
Have you tried to use wraps and hold the bar as close to the body as
possible?

Like you stated earlier, I would highly recommend warming up the whole body
before attempting this lift and perhaps stock up on potassium and water in
the hours before you go to the gym.

Good luck.

--
Raugh (R-Texas)

"Kevin" > wrote in message
om...
> "Kevin J. Coolidge" > wrote in message
>> I have experienced it. Though it's only speculation, I believe in my case
>> it
>> comes from an older inury in my chest, and the extreme effort of the lift
>> causes it to be under a strain it isn't usually put under and it responds
>> by
>> cramping. It's only the pec that has an injury that I experience it in,
>> and
>> only once in a while. It doesn't repond that way when stressed in a all
>> effort bench.
>> "Kevin" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> > Has anyone experienced this or know what causes it and how to prevent
>> > it? When I do the standard deadlift I'm fine until I try to lift a
>> > weight that's heavy for me, then one of my pecs cramps up on me.
>> > First it was the left one, so I alternated my grip thinking that may
>> > have something to do with it. Then the other pec cramped. I also
>> > tried warming up the pecs a little before doing the deadlifts, but
>> > that hasn't helped much. I can only get 2 or 3 reps because of these
>> > cramps, otherwise I'm sure I could get more.
>> >
>> > Any help or input would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>
> I thought the same thing, but I don't recall ever having such an
> injury, and then when it happened to my right pec I knew it had to be
> something else. I don't get any kind of cramp when I do chest work no
> matter how heavy I go. So far, my only conclusion is that there must
> be something wrong with my form. I know a lot of powerlifters powder
> their thighs when they deadlift to make the bar move smoother and I
> was thinking maybe I'm not holding the bar close enough to the body
> though I haven't noticed this.

---

Matthew
October 3rd 04, 04:45 AM
"Kevin" > wrote in message
om...
> Has anyone experienced this or know what causes it and how to prevent
> it? When I do the standard deadlift I'm fine until I try to lift a
> weight that's heavy for me, then one of my pecs cramps up on me.
> First it was the left one, so I alternated my grip thinking that may
> have something to do with it. Then the other pec cramped. I also
> tried warming up the pecs a little before doing the deadlifts, but
> that hasn't helped much. I can only get 2 or 3 reps because of these
> cramps, otherwise I'm sure I could get more.
>
> Any help or input would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

How do you position your shoulders when you deadlift? Do you allow them to
hang loosely causing the traps to stretch, keep them depressed (shoulder
blades down), or do you keep them depressed and retracted (shoulder blades
back and together). You might want to fiddle with different positions, see
if you notice any difference. It could be pec minor that's giving you the
problem, not pec major.

Matthew

Johnny
October 3rd 04, 07:45 PM
It is POSSABLE that all you are experiencing is a lack of
electrolytes; thus the cramps. But I would look at your form in this
lift....something's not right here. If you are talking about 2x-3x
bodyweight lifts & getting cramps...that may be electrolyte related
especially if you are really pouring water off you. But if you are
talking about less......look to your form. There is NO reason that
your pec should cramp....they are not called upon to any degree
(unless you are flexing them during the lift...and that is not what
you want to do to get a good total).
Start the bar TOUCHING your shins (legal lift stuff), look at the
ceiling while you begin, get someone to check if your back humps, keep
your arms inside the rings, START your lift with your glutes. At the
support position ROLL YOUR SHOLDERS BACK! There should very minimal
pec flex if at all.
Check these things:
* Does the bar you are using ROLL smoothly?
* Do you use a power rack for over-max restricted movement
singles/doubles?
* Has this been a sudden onset problem or have you recently started
PL?........Are you competing?