PDA

View Full Version : Re: Hey Pat Styles

Pat Styles
October 4th 04, 03:49 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...

> Warning; baseball talk.
>
> I seem to remember a comment a few months ago about Ichiro not playing well
> this year.

I think he had a bit of a slow start. Don't know for sure as I wasn't following
him or the Mariners this year.

> Whaddaya think now?

Definitely mixed feelings. While there is no denying the number of hits he
collected this year is phenomenal, I do think some points others have made about
his lack of production are valid. Furthermore, if you compare his stats for the
year to George Sisler's year (the year in which Sisler had 257 hits), you'll see
Sisler was vastly more productive. Part of this is Ichiro's being on a very
poor team this year, but Sisler was also on a sub .500 team, the rest of it is
the fact that Ichiro almost never walks and rarely hits for extra bases. Hence,
he scores fewer runs and drives in fewer runs than someone who drives the ball
more often. Clearly with his eye for the ball he could be more selective and
turn on the ball more often. He puts on quite a power display during BP so he
has the ability to hit the ball in the gaps if not over the wall. And don't
even get me started on the fact he took more games than Sisler to get to 257. I
mean I think it's just possible if Sisler had had another 6 games he just might
have picked up another hit or two (actually 11 if you take his average hits per
game multiplied by the number of extra games Ichiro played in, which leaves
Ichiro about 6 short of tying).
ps

Pat Styles
October 4th 04, 03:54 PM
"Pat Styles" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> mean I think it's just possible if Sisler had had another 6 games he just
might
> have picked up another hit or two (actually 11 if you take his average hits
per
> game multiplied by the number of extra games Ichiro played in, which leaves
> Ichiro about 6 short of tying).
> ps

That should have been another 7 games.
ps

Lucas Buck
October 9th 04, 09:46 AM
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:51:49 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:

>Warning; baseball talk.
>
>I seem to remember a comment a few months ago about Ichiro not playing well
>this year.
>
>Whaddaya think now?

You can't compare American League stats with real Major League baseball.

Pat Styles
October 9th 04, 05:15 PM
"Lucas Buck" > wrote in message
news:1097311592.Ou/[email protected]
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:51:49 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> > wrote:
>

> >Warning; baseball talk.
> >
> >I seem to remember a comment a few months ago about Ichiro not playing well
> >this year.
> >
> >Whaddaya think now?
>
> You can't compare American League stats with real Major League baseball.

Wouldn't it be great if the Player's Union would let them get rid of that
aberration, the DH? Heck, Bud gave up on contraction, now y'all need to let go
of the DH. Can you believe there are actually people who will argue for Edgar
Martinez to be in the Hall of Fame? Stop the insanity! Think of the children!
ps