PDA

View Full Version : weights and walking


niki
October 4th 04, 11:09 PM
Does anyone know the effects of walking or jogging while wearing
weights on your ankles or holding them? Is it proven to help?

Lyle McDonald
October 4th 04, 11:11 PM
niki wrote:
> Does anyone know the effects of walking or jogging while wearing
> weights on your ankles or holding them? Is it proven to help?

It's a really good way to throw off your biomechanics and drastically
increase joint impact forces and the risk of overuse injury without
doing very much useful.

A weighted vest or backpack is a better choice.

Lyle

Lee Michaels
October 4th 04, 11:37 PM
"niki" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know the effects of walking or jogging while wearing
> weights on your ankles or holding them? Is it proven to help?

The bone docs depend on them for extra biz.

elzinator
October 5th 04, 03:46 AM
On 4 Oct 2004 15:09:16 -0700, niki wrote:
>Does anyone know the effects of walking or jogging while wearing
>weights on your ankles or holding them? Is it proven to help?

If you hold your ankles while walking or jogging, you'll lose a bit of
blood.


Beelzibub

"Modern man must rediscover a deeper source of his own spiritual life. To do this,he is obligated
to struggle with evil, to confront his own shadow, to integrate the devil."
- Carl Jung

John Hanson
October 5th 04, 05:05 AM
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:46:38 -0500, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>On 4 Oct 2004 15:09:16 -0700, niki wrote:
>>Does anyone know the effects of walking or jogging while wearing
>>weights on your ankles or holding them? Is it proven to help?
>
>If you hold your ankles while walking or jogging, you'll lose a bit of
>blood.
>
Good point.

Larry Hodges
October 5th 04, 06:46 AM
elzinator wrote:
> On 4 Oct 2004 15:09:16 -0700, niki wrote:
>> Does anyone know the effects of walking or jogging while wearing
>> weights on your ankles or holding them? Is it proven to help?
>
> If you hold your ankles while walking or jogging, you'll lose a bit of
> blood.

If you do that while showering in prison, you'll lose something else!
--
-Larry

spodosaurus
October 5th 04, 09:13 AM
niki wrote:
> Does anyone know the effects of walking or jogging while wearing
> weights on your ankles or holding them? Is it proven to help?

It throughs off your natural movement, and has been indicated in causing
scapular stress fractures (hand weights) as well as infraspinatus problems.


--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

Richard Smith
October 6th 04, 02:12 AM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
...
> niki wrote:
> > Does anyone know the effects of walking or jogging while wearing
> > weights on your ankles or holding them? Is it proven to help?
>
> It's a really good way to throw off your biomechanics and drastically
> increase joint impact forces and the risk of overuse injury without
> doing very much useful.
>
> A weighted vest or backpack is a better choice.
>
> Lyle

Cool. That's what I surmised watching the '80's BS workout progs with hand
weights.

How does one determine an appropriate amt to start with? And should it be
distributed evenly front to back? A SCUBA weight belt perhaps? I can't see
wearing one for flat terrain road biking but on hills.....aye..

Richard
>

Richard Smith
October 6th 04, 02:13 AM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
...
> On 4 Oct 2004 15:09:16 -0700, niki wrote:
> >Does anyone know the effects of walking or jogging while wearing
> >weights on your ankles or holding them? Is it proven to help?
>
> If you hold your ankles while walking or jogging, you'll lose a bit of
> blood.
>
>
> Beelzibub

Not at "The Hop".

You're so young.

Richard
>
> "Modern man must rediscover a deeper source of his own spiritual life. To
do this,he is obligated
> to struggle with evil, to confront his own shadow, to integrate the
devil."
> - Carl Jung

Lyle McDonald
October 6th 04, 02:17 AM
Richard Smith wrote:

> "Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
> ...
>
>>niki wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know the effects of walking or jogging while wearing
>>>weights on your ankles or holding them? Is it proven to help?
>>
>>It's a really good way to throw off your biomechanics and drastically
>>increase joint impact forces and the risk of overuse injury without
>>doing very much useful.
>>
>>A weighted vest or backpack is a better choice.
>>
>>Lyle
>
>
> Cool. That's what I surmised watching the '80's BS workout progs with hand
> weights.
>
> How does one determine an appropriate amt to start with?

Normally, you start with like 3-5% of bodyweight or thereabouts, you can
build up gradually. I think 7-8% is usually taken as the maximum.
Don't swear me to this.

> And should it be
> distributed evenly front to back?

Ideally, so that it doesn't throw your center of gravity off backwards
or forewords.

> A SCUBA weight belt perhaps?

My new coach recommended that over my weight vest.

>I can't see
> wearing one for flat terrain road biking but on hills.....aye..

They used to make a weighted water bottle that you could put in your
cage years and years ago, dunno if it's still out there. But fill a
bottle with steel shot and put it on the bike. More resistance without
changing anything about body position or technique.

And yo'ure righ that it wouldnn't affect the flats. You'd need a
parachute. But up a hill, I hope you enjoy pain.

Lyle

DRS
October 6th 04, 12:01 PM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message

> Richard Smith wrote:

[...]

>> A SCUBA weight belt perhaps?
>
> My new coach recommended that over my weight vest.

These come in two types. The cheapest and most common carries actual lead
weights and they belt the hell out of your hips when you're not in the
water. The other type uses lead shot in pouches of various kinds, which is
a lot more comfortable.

--

"Self-delusion as a coping tool has always been a fairly useful strategy for
me."
Dally