PDA

View Full Version : Newbie considering equipment purchase

Sphinx
October 5th 04, 04:49 AM
All:

I'm a weight lifting newbie and I'm considering purchasing either:

1) Total Sports America 5716 weight bench and barbell weight set ($550)
or
2) Bowflex Sport ($800)
or
3) Crossbar by (Joe???) "Weider" ($500)

The idea is to have a good system to work out at home with and have a
variety of exercises, focusing of course on the "Big 3".

Price aside, I'd like to get any impressions that any of you might have of
these choices and hear what you might recommend. TIA.

-Bryant

Matthew
October 5th 04, 05:10 AM
"Sphinx" > wrote in message
> All:
>
> I'm a weight lifting newbie and I'm considering purchasing either:
>
> 1) Total Sports America 5716 weight bench and barbell weight set ($550)
> or
> 2) Bowflex Sport ($800)
> or
> 3) Crossbar by (Joe???) "Weider" ($500)
>
> The idea is to have a good system to work out at home with and have a
> variety of exercises, focusing of course on the "Big 3".
>
> Price aside, I'd like to get any impressions that any of you might have of
> these choices and hear what you might recommend. TIA.
>
> -Bryant

Go with the freeweights.

Matthew

John M. Williams
October 5th 04, 05:59 AM
"Matthew" > wrote:

>"Sphinx" > wrote in message
>> All:
>>
>> I'm a weight lifting newbie and I'm considering purchasing either:
>>
>> 1) Total Sports America 5716 weight bench and barbell weight set ($550)
>> or
>> 2) Bowflex Sport ($800)
>> or
>> 3) Crossbar by (Joe???) "Weider" ($500)
>>
>> The idea is to have a good system to work out at home with and have a
>> variety of exercises, focusing of course on the "Big 3".
>>
>> Price aside, I'd like to get any impressions that any of you might have of
>> these choices and hear what you might recommend. TIA.
>>
>> -Bryant
>>

>Go with the freeweights.

But spend extra for a full cage and incline bench; your options will
expand greatly.

spodosaurus
October 5th 04, 09:07 AM
Sphinx wrote:
> All:
>
> I'm a weight lifting newbie and I'm considering purchasing either:
>
> 1) Total Sports America 5716 weight bench and barbell weight set ($550)
> or
> 2) Bowflex Sport ($800)
> or
> 3) Crossbar by (Joe???) "Weider" ($500)
>
> The idea is to have a good system to work out at home with and have a
> variety of exercises, focusing of course on the "Big 3".
>
> Price aside, I'd like to get any impressions that any of you might have of
> these choices and hear what you might recommend. TIA.
>
> -Bryant

Power rack, weights, bench.

Justin Morton
October 5th 04, 02:55 PM
Sphinx wrote:

> All:
>
> I'm a weight lifting newbie and I'm considering purchasing either:
>
> 1) Total Sports America 5716 weight bench and barbell weight set ($550)
> or
> 2) Bowflex Sport ($800)
> or
> 3) Crossbar by (Joe???) "Weider" ($500)
>
> The idea is to have a good system to work out at home with and have a
> variety of exercises, focusing of course on the "Big 3".
>
> Price aside, I'd like to get any impressions that any of you might have of
> these choices and hear what you might recommend. TIA.
>
> -Bryant

This is a no-brainer, and trust me I learned the hard way.

First off, forget the "crossbow" or the "Bowflex". Junk.

Secondly, define some goals. Why are you training? What are you
expecting to accomplish? What is your body type? Age?

This is not going to be what you want to hear. But unless you want to
waste 3 months of "hard" training making big mistakes, risking injury
and gaining little to no muscle mass, listen close. If you are a
self-proclaimed "weight lifting newbie", you need nothing other than a
bench and a few dumbells. Start with a relatively light push/pull split
and work heavier as you progress and find your rep/set range.

For the first 6 months, don't worry too much (if at all) on isolation
exercises (such as tricep kickbacks LOL). You need to start by
strengthening your muscles and tendons with compound movements such as
bench press, squats, chins, deadlifts, etc.

Google a push/pull split, get a bench, barbell and some weights, and
work your ass off. Drink a gallon of water a day and be sure to eat 1
gram of protein for every pound of body weight (and not all in shakes),
which is harder than it sounds. Try to consume as little fat as
possible, and load up on complex carbs (such as brown rice or baked
potato) in a 2:1 carb:protein ratio throughout the day. 6 small meals a
day, not 3 big ones.

Your diet is critical to your training routine. Just as important as
what you do with your iron. Don't be afraid to ask questions on this
board, we promise not to flame, massacre or degrade you.
Congratulations on your decision to train. Stay strong.

Good luck.

--
"When in doubt, deadlift."
- Author unknown

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
- Hunter S. Thompson

Peter Lizak
October 5th 04, 05:49 PM
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Justin Morton wrote:

> Sphinx wrote:
>
> > All:
> >
> > I'm a weight lifting newbie and I'm considering purchasing either:
> >
> > 1) Total Sports America 5716 weight bench and barbell weight set ($550)
> > or
> > 2) Bowflex Sport ($800)
> > or
> > 3) Crossbar by (Joe???) "Weider" ($500)
> >
> > The idea is to have a good system to work out at home with and have a
> > variety of exercises, focusing of course on the "Big 3".
> >
> > Price aside, I'd like to get any impressions that any of you might have of
> > these choices and hear what you might recommend. TIA.
> >
> > -Bryant
>
> This is a no-brainer, and trust me I learned the hard way.
>
> First off, forget the "crossbow" or the "Bowflex". Junk.
>
> Secondly, define some goals. Why are you training? What are you
> expecting to accomplish? What is your body type? Age?
>
> This is not going to be what you want to hear. But unless you want to
> waste 3 months of "hard" training making big mistakes, risking injury
> and gaining little to no muscle mass, listen close. If you are a
> self-proclaimed "weight lifting newbie", you need nothing other than a
> bench and a few dumbells. Start with a relatively light push/pull split
> and work heavier as you progress and find your rep/set range.
>
> For the first 6 months, don't worry too much (if at all) on isolation
> exercises (such as tricep kickbacks LOL). You need to start by
> strengthening your muscles and tendons with compound movements such as
> bench press, squats, chins, deadlifts, etc.
>
> Google a push/pull split, get a bench, barbell and some weights, and
> work your ass off. Drink a gallon of water a day and be sure to eat 1
> gram of protein for every pound of body weight (and not all in shakes),
> which is harder than it sounds. Try to consume as little fat as
> possible, and load up on complex carbs (such as brown rice or baked
> potato) in a 2:1 carb:protein ratio throughout the day. 6 small meals a
> day, not 3 big ones.
>
> Your diet is critical to your training routine. Just as important as
> what you do with your iron. Don't be afraid to ask questions on this
> board, we promise not to flame, massacre or degrade you.
> Congratulations on your decision to train. Stay strong.
>
> Good luck.

Solid advice.

> --
> "When in doubt, deadlift."
> - Author unknown
>
> "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
> - Hunter S. Thompson

Peter Lizak

Scientific Computing Lab, University of Waterloo

Sphinx
October 5th 04, 07:00 PM
What protein supplements would you recommend? I've tried a few, like Isopure
and a couple of others whose names I can't recall now. But maybe they
weren't the best that I could have used. What do you guys use?

"Justin Morton" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s04...
> Sphinx wrote:
>
>> All:
>>
>> I'm a weight lifting newbie and I'm considering purchasing either:
>>
>> 1) Total Sports America 5716 weight bench and barbell weight set ($550)
>> or
>> 2) Bowflex Sport ($800)
>> or
>> 3) Crossbar by (Joe???) "Weider" ($500)
>>
>> The idea is to have a good system to work out at home with and have a
>> variety of exercises, focusing of course on the "Big 3".
>>
>> Price aside, I'd like to get any impressions that any of you might have
>> of these choices and hear what you might recommend. TIA.
>>
>> -Bryant
>
> This is a no-brainer, and trust me I learned the hard way.
>
> First off, forget the "crossbow" or the "Bowflex". Junk.
>
> Secondly, define some goals. Why are you training? What are you
> expecting to accomplish? What is your body type? Age?
>
> This is not going to be what you want to hear. But unless you want to
> waste 3 months of "hard" training making big mistakes, risking injury and
> gaining little to no muscle mass, listen close. If you are a
> self-proclaimed "weight lifting newbie", you need nothing other than a
> bench and a few dumbells. Start with a relatively light push/pull split
> and work heavier as you progress and find your rep/set range.
>
> For the first 6 months, don't worry too much (if at all) on isolation
> exercises (such as tricep kickbacks LOL). You need to start by
> strengthening your muscles and tendons with compound movements such as
> bench press, squats, chins, deadlifts, etc.
>
> Google a push/pull split, get a bench, barbell and some weights, and work
> your ass off. Drink a gallon of water a day and be sure to eat 1 gram of
> protein for every pound of body weight (and not all in shakes), which is
> harder than it sounds. Try to consume as little fat as possible, and load
> up on complex carbs (such as brown rice or baked potato) in a 2:1
> carb:protein ratio throughout the day. 6 small meals a day, not 3 big
> ones.
>
> Your diet is critical to your training routine. Just as important as what
> you do with your iron. Don't be afraid to ask questions on this board, we
> promise not to flame, massacre or degrade you. Congratulations on your
> decision to train. Stay strong.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> "When in doubt, deadlift."
> - Author unknown
>
> "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
> - Hunter S. Thompson

Justin Morton
October 5th 04, 10:53 PM
Sphinx wrote:
> What protein supplements would you recommend? I've tried a few, like Isopure
> and a couple of others whose names I can't recall now. But maybe they
> weren't the best that I could have used. What do you guys use?

My choice is any 'ole instantized 100% whey protein at the least price
per protein grams/serving. Looking for breakfast? Keep in mind that
one boiled egg minus the yolk is about 3.5 grams of protein. Six of
these plus a 20g protein shake makes a good start to my day.

--
"When in doubt, deadlift."
- Author unknown

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
- Hunter S. Thompson

Hugh Beyer
October 6th 04, 01:08 AM
Justin Morton > wrote in
news:[email protected]_s01:

> Sphinx wrote:
>> What protein supplements would you recommend? I've tried a few, like
>> Isopure and a couple of others whose names I can't recall now. But
>> maybe they weren't the best that I could have used. What do you guys
>> use?
>
> My choice is any 'ole instantized 100% whey protein at the least price
> per protein grams/serving. Looking for breakfast? Keep in mind that
> one boiled egg minus the yolk is about 3.5 grams of protein. Six of
> these plus a 20g protein shake makes a good start to my day.

You start the day with 6 boiled egg whites? I'd consider suicide.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.