PDA

View Full Version : new gym = I'm in heaven

Will
October 5th 04, 05:46 AM
I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
share my joy...

This is my new gym:
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html

It rocks.

Proton Soup
October 5th 04, 05:55 AM
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:46:51 -0700, Will >
wrote:

>I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
>share my joy...
>
>This is my new gym:
>http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
>
>It rocks.

Tires?

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Lyle McDonald
October 5th 04, 06:11 AM
Will wrote:
> I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
> share my joy...
>
> This is my new gym:
> http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
>
> It rocks.

Admittedly Im' a little frustrated right now but I have a raging hardon
over your new gym.

Lyle

Will
October 5th 04, 06:20 AM
In article >,
Proton Soup > wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:46:51 -0700, Will >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
> >share my joy...
> >
> >This is my new gym:
> >http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
> >
> >It rocks.
>
> Tires?

Big tractor tires. Flipping them is good for increasing conditioning
and work capacity (the lighter tires) and strengthening the hips,
hamstrings, and back (especially the bigger ones).

Rutabaga22
October 5th 04, 06:32 AM
Sweet. Where is it?

Will
October 5th 04, 06:47 AM
In article >,
(Rutabaga22) wrote:

> Sweet. Where is it?

It's the World Gym in Santa Cruz, CA. Formerly owned by David Draper,
who made something of a name for himself in the bodybuilding world.

John Hanson
October 5th 04, 07:04 AM
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
>share my joy...
>
>This is my new gym:
>http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
>
>It rocks.

Very cool. The gym I lift at really isn't very impressive on it's
face. But, it's like training in an aquantance's...pole barn? very
large livingroom? who has lots of friends. When I went to that 24
hour fitness you used to train at, something just didn't seem right.
I think it was the whole regimented, corporate feel to the place.
Anywho, I'm glad for you.

Now I wish I could just get to sleep.

Keith Hobman
October 5th 04, 03:40 PM
In article >, Will
> wrote:

> In article >,
> Proton Soup > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:46:51 -0700, Will >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
> > >share my joy...
> > >
> > >This is my new gym:
> > >http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
> > >
> > >It rocks.
> >
> > Tires?
>
> Big tractor tires. Flipping them is good for increasing conditioning
> and work capacity (the lighter tires) and strengthening the hips,
> hamstrings, and back (especially the bigger ones).

Those yellow things in the pics are stones?

Even if not. Woot. Cool gym!

Dally
October 5th 04, 03:59 PM
John Hanson wrote:

> Now I wish I could just get to sleep.

You courting the Espresso Lady again? (You *can* say no when she offers
you another one, you know.)

Dally

Dally
October 5th 04, 04:00 PM
Will wrote:

> I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
> share my joy...
>
> This is my new gym:
> http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
>
> It rocks.

It sure does. I didn't even see anyone using the power cage for bicep
curls!

Dally

John Hanson
October 5th 04, 04:09 PM
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:59:35 -0400, Dally > wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson wrote:
>
>> Now I wish I could just get to sleep.
>
>You courting the Espresso Lady again? (You *can* say no when she offers
>you another one, you know.)

Hehe. Actually, I didn't have any coffee at the gym last night. I
finally decided to have two beers last night and that put me out.

Will
October 5th 04, 04:52 PM
In article >,
(Keith Hobman) wrote:

> In article >, Will
> > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Proton Soup > wrote:

> > > Tires?
> >
> > Big tractor tires. Flipping them is good for increasing conditioning
> > and work capacity (the lighter tires) and strengthening the hips,
> > hamstrings, and back (especially the bigger ones).
>
> Those yellow things in the pics are stones?

No, but we have somone casting stones for us. Those are medicine balls
ranging up to 100 lbs. Baby stones.

> Even if not. Woot. Cool gym!

I'm pretty happy with it.

Lee Michaels
October 5th 04, 05:26 PM
"Will" wrote

> No, but we have somone casting stones for us. Those are medicine balls
> ranging up to 100 lbs. Baby stones.

I just can't help myself.

Casting stones??

Is that like a Cally fornia thing??

They audition various stones to see who gets the part?

<groan......, rimshot>

Or is that like a cement casting thing to get a very modern, satandardized,
civilized (*******ized?) version of a stone??

And what would any self respecting highland games athlete say about this
blashemy?

Will
October 5th 04, 05:37 PM
In article <[email protected]_s52>,
"Lee Michaels" > wrote:

> "Will" wrote
> >
> > No, but we have somone casting stones for us. Those are medicine balls
> > ranging up to 100 lbs. Baby stones.
> >
> I just can't help myself.
>
> Casting stones??
>
> Is that like a Cally fornia thing??

Like, whatever!

> They audition various stones to see who gets the part?
>
> <groan......, rimshot>
>
> Or is that like a cement casting thing to get a very modern, satandardized,
> civilized (*******ized?) version of a stone??
>
> And what would any self respecting highland games athlete say about this
> blashemy?

Ahh. These are Atlas stones, not Highland games stones. You know, big
spherical balls of cement that are 4-5 feet in diameter and weigh
200-300 lbs.

http://www.bodyresults.com/S2stone.asp

Jeff Finlayson
October 5th 04, 05:40 PM
Proton Soup wrote:
> Will wrote:
>
>>I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
>>share my joy...
>>
>>This is my new gym:
>>http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
>>It rocks.
>
> Tires?

For strongman training..

Jeff Finlayson
October 5th 04, 05:41 PM
Will wrote:

> for the powerlifters I wanted to share my joy...
>
> This is my new gym:
> http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
> It rocks.

Super! Is that all one side room off the main gym?

There must be area behind the gym for tire flipping?

Johnny
October 5th 04, 05:45 PM
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:26:38 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:

>"Will" wrote
>>
>> No, but we have somone casting stones for us. Those are medicine balls
>> ranging up to 100 lbs. Baby stones.
>>
>I just can't help myself.
>
>Casting stones??
>
>Is that like a Cally fornia thing??

No..it's a Scottish thing. The furthist thing from Kalifornia you can
get.

Proton Soup
October 5th 04, 06:23 PM
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:40:21 GMT, Jeff Finlayson
> wrote:

>Proton Soup wrote:
>> Will wrote:
>>
>>>I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
>>>share my joy...
>>>
>>>This is my new gym:
>>>http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
>>>It rocks.
>>
>> Tires?
>
>For strongman training..

Yeah, I just didn't expect them to be used indoors for that.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Lee Michaels
October 5th 04, 06:34 PM
"Will" wrote

> Ahh. These are Atlas stones, not Highland games stones. You know, big
> spherical balls of cement that are 4-5 feet in diameter and weigh
> 200-300 lbs.
>
> http://www.bodyresults.com/S2stone.asp

Minor nit to pick here Will.

The above measurements - weights ratio are 4-5 feet in CIRCUMFERENCE, not
diameter.

At 140 lbs per cubic foot, a four or five foot cement ball would be much
heavier.

Will
October 5th 04, 06:48 PM
In article >,
"Lee Michaels" > wrote:

> "Will" wrote
> >
> > Ahh. These are Atlas stones, not Highland games stones. You know, big
> > spherical balls of cement that are 4-5 feet in diameter and weigh
> > 200-300 lbs.
> >
> > http://www.bodyresults.com/S2stone.asp
>
> Minor nit to pick here Will.
>
> The above measurements - weights ratio are 4-5 feet in CIRCUMFERENCE, not
> diameter.
>
> At 140 lbs per cubic foot, a four or five foot cement ball would be much
> heavier.

You're right. I was thinking 4-5 feet diameter was awfully big but it
didn't dawn on me those measurements were probably cirumferences.

Will
October 5th 04, 06:49 PM
In article >,
Proton Soup > wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:40:21 GMT, Jeff Finlayson
> > wrote:
>
> >Proton Soup wrote:

> >> Tires?
> >
> >For strongman training..
>
> Yeah, I just didn't expect them to be used indoors for that.

The tires are in the parking lot outside.

Jeff Finlayson
October 5th 04, 07:30 PM
Proton Soup wrote:
> Jeff Finlayson wrote:
>>Proton Soup wrote:

>>>Tires?
>>
>>For strongman training..
>
> Yeah, I just didn't expect them to be used indoors for that.

Oh yea. I was guessing they were stored inside until Will's reply.

Lee Michaels
October 5th 04, 07:57 PM
"Jeff Finlayson" wrote
> Proton Soup wrote:
> > Jeff Finlayson wrote:

> >>For strongman training..
> >
> > Yeah, I just didn't expect them to be used indoors for that.
>
> Oh yea. I was guessing they were stored inside until Will's reply.

I have this totally irreverant mental image of the powerlifters flipping
their tractor tires through the chrome and fern section of the gym, This
fearsome activity causing all the cardio bunnies to flee in terror.

Sort of an alpha male caveman thing.

bc
October 5th 04, 09:15 PM
Will > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> (Rutabaga22) wrote:
>
> > Sweet. Where is it?
>
> It's the World Gym in Santa Cruz, CA. Formerly owned by David Draper,
> who made something of a name for himself in the bodybuilding world.

I was flipping through a book by him recently. Isn't he the guy who
does the "Bomber" line of products? He was big alright.

Nice gym. Is it crowded?

- bc

Lyle McDonald
October 5th 04, 10:14 PM
Will wrote:
> In article >,
> (Rutabaga22) wrote:
>

>>Sweet. Where is it?
>

> It's the World Gym in Santa Cruz, CA. Formerly owned by David Draper,
> who made something of a name for himself in the bodybuilding world.

That would seem a vast understatement.

But Dave is an old school lifter who knows lifters, those guys always
build the best gyms.

Because they are lifters who care about lifting, not businessmen who
care about money.

Frankly, I'm jealous as hell.

Lyle

Will
October 5th 04, 10:37 PM
In article >,
(bc) wrote:

> Will > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > (Rutabaga22) wrote:
> >
> > > Sweet. Where is it?
> >
> > It's the World Gym in Santa Cruz, CA. Formerly owned by David Draper,
> > who made something of a name for himself in the bodybuilding world.
>
> I was flipping through a book by him recently. Isn't he the guy who
> does the "Bomber" line of products? He was big alright.

Yeah, he was the Blonde Bomber.

> Nice gym. Is it crowded?

Not so much - see my reply to Lyle (which hasn't shown up yet on my
server?). The pictures are from a small room adjacent to the main gym -
our room gets a bit crowded during the Saturday morning squatfests, but
it's a good crowd. The main gym has never been crowded when I've been
there.

aj
October 5th 04, 11:42 PM
On 2004-10-05, Lyle McDonald > wrote:
> Will wrote:
>> In article >,
>> (Rutabaga22) wrote:
>>

>>>Sweet. Where is it?
>>

>> It's the World Gym in Santa Cruz, CA. Formerly owned by David Draper,
>> who made something of a name for himself in the bodybuilding world.
>
> That would seem a vast understatement.
>
> But Dave is an old school lifter who knows lifters, those guys always
> build the best gyms.
>
> Because they are lifters who care about lifting, not businessmen who
> care about money.
>
> Frankly, I'm jealous as hell.
>
> Lyle

Me 14. Santa Cruz is a nice town too. Very Northamptonish, great access
to mountains and trees and beach and stuff.

--
-aj
I'll mess with Texas.

Lee Michaels
October 5th 04, 11:55 PM
"Lyle McDonald" wrote

> Will wrote:
> > In article >,
> > (Rutabaga22) wrote:
> >

> >>Sweet. Where is it?
> >

> > It's the World Gym in Santa Cruz, CA. Formerly owned by David Draper,
> > who made something of a name for himself in the bodybuilding world.
>
> That would seem a vast understatement.
>
> But Dave is an old school lifter who knows lifters, those guys always
> build the best gyms.
>
> Because they are lifters who care about lifting, not businessmen who
> care about money.

Dave Draper used to do woodwork.

He made custom benches for bench press. He would carve them out of big slabs
of wood to fit your back. He made them for everyone, including Arnold. They
were supposed to be the best thing for bench press. I understood that they
were a high gloss finish that allowed the scapulae to move during the bench
press.

This, obviously, was a totally custom item. If you had one built, they
didn't fit anybody else. He went through a big woodworking stage while
rehabbing from drugs. His woodwork is highly prized.

elzinator
October 6th 04, 02:06 AM
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:47:59 -0700, Will wrote:
>In article >,
> (Rutabaga22) wrote:
>
>> Sweet. Where is it?
>
>It's the World Gym in Santa Cruz, CA. Formerly owned by David Draper,
>who made something of a name for himself in the bodybuilding world.

Santa Cruz is a nice place. Better than nearby Watsonville.
If I'd only known then that Dave had a gym there.....

---------------------------------
Teddy Roosevelt for President!!

elzinator
October 6th 04, 02:08 AM
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 15:14:33 -0600, Lyle McDonald wrote:
>Will wrote:
>> In article >,
>> (Rutabaga22) wrote:
>>

>>>Sweet. Where is it?
>>

>> It's the World Gym in Santa Cruz, CA. Formerly owned by David Draper,
>> who made something of a name for himself in the bodybuilding world.
>
>That would seem a vast understatement.
>
>But Dave is an old school lifter who knows lifters, those guys always
>build the best gyms.
>
>Because they are lifters who care about lifting, not businessmen who
>care about money.
>
>Frankly, I'm jealous as hell.

Me 3.

---------------------------------
Teddy Roosevelt for President!!

Will
October 6th 04, 03:11 AM
In article >,
elzinator > wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:47:59 -0700, Will wrote:
> >In article >,
> > (Rutabaga22) wrote:
> >
> >> Sweet. Where is it?
> >
> >It's the World Gym in Santa Cruz, CA. Formerly owned by David Draper,
> >who made something of a name for himself in the bodybuilding world.
>
> Santa Cruz is a nice place. Better than nearby Watsonville.
> If I'd only known then that Dave had a gym there.....

Were you in Watsonville some time?

My friend has a good description of Watsonville. It's like being in
Bakersfield, except you're right next to the ocean, but you don't even
know it.

Rutabaga22
October 6th 04, 03:14 AM
Thanks. I get to Santa Cruz once in a blue moon, so I'll pay the day fee and
check it out.

Kathy Marie
October 6th 04, 03:16 AM
> Lee Michaels wrote in message news:[email protected]_s54...
> > Jeff Finlayson wrote:
> > > Yeah, I just didn't expect them to be used indoors for that.
> > Oh yea. I was guessing they were stored inside until Will's reply.
> I have this totally irreverant mental image of the powerlifters flipping
> their tractor tires through the chrome and fern section of the gym, This
> fearsome activity causing all the cardio bunnies to flee in terror.
>
> Sort of an alpha male caveman thing.

Mpegs please!!

:-)

Kathy Marie
in Wisconsin....

Robert Schuh
October 6th 04, 08:20 AM
Will wrote:

> I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
> share my joy...
>
> This is my new gym:
> http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
>
> It rocks.

I can't stand gyms with low ceilings like that.

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

Elzinator
October 6th 04, 01:59 PM
Will > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> elzinator > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:47:59 -0700, Will wrote:

> > >It's the World Gym in Santa Cruz, CA. Formerly owned by David Draper,
> > >who made something of a name for himself in the bodybuilding world.
> >
> > Santa Cruz is a nice place. Better than nearby Watsonville.
> > If I'd only known then that Dave had a gym there.....
>
> Were you in Watsonville some time?

I was there for 10 months; 10 months too long. Nearly moved to Santa
Cruz, but the house deal fell through. Used to go to SC on the
weekends. Finally deciding to leave private industry and return to
academics in OR.

> My friend has a good description of Watsonville. It's like being in
> Bakersfield, except you're right next to the ocean, but you don't even
> know it.

Fogged in until noon, then sunny the rest of the day. Loved the
artichokes and strawberries.

bc
October 6th 04, 05:25 PM
Dally > wrote in message >...
> Will wrote:
>
> > I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
> > share my joy...
> >
> > This is my new gym:
> > http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
> >
> > It rocks.
>
> It sure does. I didn't even see anyone using the power cage for bicep
> curls!

There was actually someone squatting in the rack next to mine last
night, and she was a lady! Her squats were way high, but she was in
there. After she was done, some sunburned curler dude set up to do
curls, but I was done squatting by then, so thankfully, I could just
remember the moment when people were squatting at the same time. She
did bench in the Smith later, but at least she didn't squat in it.

- bc

Dally
October 6th 04, 06:23 PM
bc wrote:
> Dally > wrote in message >...
>
>>Will wrote:
>>

>>>I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
>>>share my joy...
>>>
>>>This is my new gym:
>>>http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
>>>
>>>It rocks.
>>
>>It sure does. I didn't even see anyone using the power cage for bicep
>>curls!
>>

> There was actually someone squatting in the rack next to mine last
> night, and she was a lady! Her squats were way high, but she was in
> there. After she was done, some sunburned curler dude set up to do
> curls, but I was done squatting by then, so thankfully, I could just
> remember the moment when people were squatting at the same time. She
> did bench in the Smith later, but at least she didn't squat in it.
>
> - bc

I saw someone haul the sissy squat thing over the the power cage and
pick the unweighted bar off the pins (sticking on the outside of the
cage, sigh, because the cage is too slim to squat INSIDE of it.)
Anyway, she proceeds to do pretty deep squats with the sissy squat
assisting. I talked with her later and she's got some low back issues
and was trying not to have to count on it. I thought that was an
interesting modification. I'm with you, anything a woman squatter
wants to do gets high marks with me. I just like having the opportunity
to mention how a power cage OUGHT to be used (inside, with pins set to
catch the bar if you can't get out of the hole.)

Dally

Jeff Finlayson
October 7th 04, 01:29 AM
Dally wrote:
> bc wrote:

>> There was actually someone squatting in the rack next to mine last
>> night, and she was a lady! Her squats were way high, but she was in
>> there. After she was done, some sunburned curler dude set up to do
>> curls, but I was done squatting by then, so thankfully, I could just
>> remember the moment when people were squatting at the same time. She
>> did bench in the Smith later, but at least she didn't squat in it.
>> - bc
>
> I saw someone haul the sissy squat thing over the the power cage and
> pick the unweighted bar off the pins (sticking on the outside of the
> cage, sigh, because the cage is too slim to squat INSIDE of it.) Anyway,
> she proceeds to do pretty deep squats with the sissy squat assisting.

What sissy squat thing? Sissy squats don't require special equipment,
last I checked.

> I talked with her later and she's got some low back issues and was trying
> not to have to count on it. I thought that was an interesting
> modification. I'm with you, anything a woman squatter wants to do gets
> high marks with me. I just like having the opportunity to mention how a
> power cage OUGHT to be used (inside, with pins set to catch the bar if
> you can't get out of the hole.)
> Dally

Sissy squats: http://www.hardtrainer.com/ex_sissy.htm

Dally
October 7th 04, 02:11 AM
Jeff Finlayson wrote:
> Dally wrote:
>
>> I saw someone haul the sissy squat thing over the the power cage and
>> pick the unweighted bar off the pins (sticking on the outside of the
>> cage, sigh, because the cage is too slim to squat INSIDE of it.)
>> Anyway, she proceeds to do pretty deep squats with the sissy squat
>> assisting.
>

> What sissy squat thing? Sissy squats don't require special equipment,
> last I checked.
>
>> I talked with her later and she's got some low back issues and was
>> trying not to have to count on it. I thought that was an interesting
>> modification. I'm with you, anything a woman squatter wants to do
>> gets high marks with me. I just like having the opportunity to
>> mention how a power cage OUGHT to be used (inside, with pins set to
>> catch the bar if you can't get out of the hole.) Dally
>

> Sissy squats: http://www.hardtrainer.com/ex_sissy.htm

http://www.strength-systems.com/items.php?deptid=18&styleid=207

It supports both the back and front of your calves, keeping you from
falling backwards as you sit your ass down.

Dally

z_bumbi
October 7th 04, 01:36 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s54>...

> I have this totally irreverant mental image of the powerlifters flipping
> their tractor tires through the chrome and fern section of the gym, This
> fearsome activity causing all the cardio bunnies to flee in terror.
>
> Sort of an alpha male caveman thing.

The only problem is that the tires makes some noice and blow a lot of
dust/sand/stuff from the floor around the gym, they tested a tire were
I train last year but it was better than to play with it inside the
OL/PL-room as it can be a little crowded.

Bjorn

Lucas Buck
October 9th 04, 11:29 AM
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:49:11 -0700, Will > wrote:

>In article >,
> Proton Soup > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:40:21 GMT, Jeff Finlayson
>> > wrote:

>> >For strongman training..
>>
>> Yeah, I just didn't expect them to be used indoors for that.
>
>The tires are in the parking lot outside.

Same at my gym. Except cars are attached.

Lucas Buck
October 9th 04, 11:32 AM
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:42:38 -0000, aj > wrote:

>On 2004-10-05, Lyle McDonald > wrote:
>> Will wrote:

>>> It's the World Gym in Santa Cruz, CA. Formerly owned by David Draper,
>>> who made something of a name for himself in the bodybuilding world.
>>
>> That would seem a vast understatement.
>>
>> But Dave is an old school lifter who knows lifters, those guys always
>> build the best gyms.
>>
>> Because they are lifters who care about lifting, not businessmen who
>> care about money.
>>
>> Frankly, I'm jealous as hell.
>>
>> Lyle
>

>Me 14. Santa Cruz is a nice town too. Very Northamptonish, great access
>to mountains and trees and beach and stuff.

And drugs.

And one decent BBQ joint.

Lucas Buck
October 9th 04, 11:33 AM
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:06:57 -0500, elzinator > wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:47:59 -0700, Will wrote:
>>In article >,
>> (Rutabaga22) wrote:
>>
>>> Sweet. Where is it?
>>
>>It's the World Gym in Santa Cruz, CA. Formerly owned by David Draper,
>>who made something of a name for himself in the bodybuilding world.
>
>Santa Cruz is a nice place. Better than nearby Watsonville.

That's like Jackie O saying the blood spatter was better than the brain spatter.

Lucas Buck
October 9th 04, 11:34 AM
On 6 Oct 2004 05:59:08 -0700, (Elzinator) wrote:

>Will > wrote in message >...
>> In article >,
>> elzinator > wrote:

>> > Santa Cruz is a nice place. Better than nearby Watsonville.
>> > If I'd only known then that Dave had a gym there.....
>>
>> Were you in Watsonville some time?
>
>I was there for 10 months; 10 months too long. Nearly moved to Santa
>Cruz, but the house deal fell through. Used to go to SC on the
>weekends. Finally deciding to leave private industry and return to
>academics in OR.

"Watsonville" and "private industry" in the same sentence? HA HA HA HA

>> My friend has a good description of Watsonville. It's like being in
>> Bakersfield, except you're right next to the ocean, but you don't even
>> know it.
>
>Fogged in until noon, then sunny the rest of the day. Loved the
>artichokes and strawberries.

Good music on 107 oink 5 FM.

tacitrati
October 9th 04, 12:02 PM
news:[email protected]
wrote:

> >On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:47:59 -0700, Will wrote:

> >>It's the World Gym in Santa Cruz, CA. Formerly owned by David Draper,
> >>who made something of a name for himself in the bodybuilding world.
> >
> >Santa Cruz is a nice place. Better than nearby Watsonville.
>
> That's like Jackie O saying the blood spatter was better than the brain
spatter.

niiiiiiiiiiice!

whit

Will
October 9th 04, 03:27 PM
In article <[email protected]>,
Lucas Buck > wrote:

> On 6 Oct 2004 05:59:08 -0700, (Elzinator) wrote:
>
> >Will > wrote in message

> >> Were you in Watsonville some time?
> >
> >I was there for 10 months; 10 months too long. Nearly moved to Santa
> >Cruz, but the house deal fell through. Used to go to SC on the
> >weekends. Finally deciding to leave private industry and return to
> >academics in OR.
>
> "Watsonville" and "private industry" in the same sentence? HA HA HA HA
>
> >> My friend has a good description of Watsonville. It's like being in
> >> Bakersfield, except you're right next to the ocean, but you don't even
> >> know it.
> >
> >Fogged in until noon, then sunny the rest of the day. Loved the
> >artichokes and strawberries.
>
> Good music on 107 oink 5 FM.

They now have a repeater in Cambria.

Will
October 9th 04, 03:29 PM
In article <[email protected]>,
Lucas Buck > wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:42:38 -0000, aj > wrote:

> >> That would seem a vast understatement.
> >>
> >> But Dave is an old school lifter who knows lifters, those guys always
> >> build the best gyms.
> >>
> >> Because they are lifters who care about lifting, not businessmen who
> >> care about money.
> >>
> >> Frankly, I'm jealous as hell.
> >>
> >> Lyle
> >

> >Me 14. Santa Cruz is a nice town too. Very Northamptonish, great access
> >to mountains and trees and beach and stuff.
>
> And drugs.
>
> And one decent BBQ joint.

In Santa Cruz? Where? I assume you mean Cole's, which is ok. But
nothing compared to the Central Texan in Castroville.

Lucas Buck
October 10th 04, 10:50 AM
On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 07:29:27 -0700, Will > wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Lucas Buck > wrote:

>> >Me 14. Santa Cruz is a nice town too. Very Northamptonish, great access
>> >to mountains and trees and beach and stuff.
>>
>> And drugs.
>>
>> And one decent BBQ joint.
>
>In Santa Cruz? Where? I assume you mean Cole's, which is ok.

Of course, Cole's.

>But nothing compared to the Central Texan in Castroville.

But does CT have Tri-tip, smoked on-site?

(Actually, the Cole's in Sandy Cruise does suck compared to the Cole's
in Aptos... plus you can actually get a table in the latter)

Lucas Buck
October 10th 04, 10:50 AM
On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 07:27:37 -0700, Will > wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Lucas Buck > wrote:

>> >I was there for 10 months; 10 months too long. Nearly moved to Santa
>> >Cruz, but the house deal fell through. Used to go to SC on the
>> >weekends. Finally deciding to leave private industry and return to
>> >academics in OR.
>>
>> "Watsonville" and "private industry" in the same sentence? HA HA HA HA

>> >Fogged in until noon, then sunny the rest of the day. Loved the
>> >artichokes and strawberries.
>>
>> Good music on 107 oink 5 FM.
>
>They now have a repeater in Cambria.

On what frequency, Kenneth?

Will
October 10th 04, 03:37 PM
In article <[email protected]>,
Lucas Buck > wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 07:29:27 -0700, Will > wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > Lucas Buck > wrote:

> >> And drugs.
> >>
> >> And one decent BBQ joint.
> >
> >In Santa Cruz? Where? I assume you mean Cole's, which is ok.
>
> Of course, Cole's.
>
> >But nothing compared to the Central Texan in Castroville.
>
> But does CT have Tri-tip, smoked on-site?

But of course. Dude, the Central Texan rules. Without a doubt the best
BBQ I've had in California, and I used to live in the East Bay so I've
been to all the usual suspects there.

elzinator
October 10th 04, 04:00 PM
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 07:37:36 -0700, Will wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>,
> Lucas Buck > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 07:29:27 -0700, Will > wrote:

>> >In Santa Cruz? Where? I assume you mean Cole's, which is ok.
>>
>> Of course, Cole's.
>>
>> >But nothing compared to the Central Texan in Castroville.
>>
>> But does CT have Tri-tip, smoked on-site?
>
>But of course. Dude, the Central Texan rules. Without a doubt the best
>BBQ I've had in California, and I used to live in the East Bay so I've
>been to all the usual suspects there.

But it still ain't *real* Texas BBQ.

---------------------------------
Teddy Roosevelt for President!!

Lucas Buck
October 12th 04, 12:30 AM
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 07:37:36 -0700, Will > wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Lucas Buck > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 07:29:27 -0700, Will > wrote:

>> >In Santa Cruz? Where? I assume you mean Cole's, which is ok.
>>
>> Of course, Cole's.
>>
>> >But nothing compared to the Central Texan in Castroville.
>>
>> But does CT have Tri-tip, smoked on-site?
>
>But of course. Dude, the Central Texan rules. Without a doubt the best
>BBQ I've had in California, and I used to live in the East Bay so I've
>been to all the usual suspects there.

Yeah, but it'd be faster to fly to TX (or, for *real* BBQ, MO) than to drive
to Castroville... and it'd be much less likely to have the trip delayed by
terrorists.

Lucas Buck
October 12th 04, 12:30 AM
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:00:46 -0500, elzinator > wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 07:37:36 -0700, Will wrote:
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>> Lucas Buck > wrote:

>>> Of course, Cole's.

>>> But does CT have Tri-tip, smoked on-site?
>>
>>But of course. Dude, the Central Texan rules. Without a doubt the best
>>BBQ I've had in California, and I used to live in the East Bay so I've
>>been to all the usual suspects there.
>
>But it still ain't *real* Texas BBQ.

You've BEEN there? (To CT and/or Cole's)?

Like I'd take a Maine native's word about BBQ anyway.

elzinator
October 12th 04, 12:48 AM
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:30:29 -0700, Lucas Buck wrote:
>On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:00:46 -0500, elzinator > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 07:37:36 -0700, Will wrote:

>>>But of course. Dude, the Central Texan rules. Without a doubt the best
>>>BBQ I've had in California, and I used to live in the East Bay so I've
>>>been to all the usual suspects there.
>>
>>But it still ain't *real* Texas BBQ.
>
>You've BEEN there? (To CT and/or Cole's)?

Been all up and down that area of the CA coast. Lived in Aptos for a
short while, Watsonville for the most. Ate at bbq place along there
somewhere, which wasn't bad, but don"t remember where/what. That was
back in the late 80's.

>Like I'd take a Maine native's word about BBQ anyway.

I'm not a native Mainiac, so there.

---------------------------------
Teddy Roosevelt for President!!

Lucas Buck
October 12th 04, 12:44 PM
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:34:43 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:

>"Will" wrote
>>
>> Ahh. These are Atlas stones, not Highland games stones. You know, big
>> spherical balls of cement that are 4-5 feet in diameter and weigh
>> 200-300 lbs.
>>
>> http://www.bodyresults.com/S2stone.asp
>
>Minor nit to pick here Will.
>
>The above measurements - weights ratio are 4-5 feet in CIRCUMFERENCE, not
>diameter.
>
>At 140 lbs per cubic foot, a four or five foot cement ball would be much
>heavier.

Perhaps it was creme filled.

Will
October 18th 04, 03:24 AM
Will > wrote in message >...
> I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
> share my joy...
>
> This is my new gym:
> http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
>
> It rocks.

More pictures:
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index2.html

For the sharp-eyed folks, yes indeed that is a pair of briefs sticking
out from under my suit. Most of the guys at the gym lift in the APF
and we are entering an upcoming meet as a team, so I am training
accordingly. Right now I'm just borrowing the extra gear, those
briefs were way too big for me but still gave me a 30 lb PR. On
Monday I'm trying out a double denim bench shirt. At least I still
walkout my squats, but only because setting up under the monolift is
pretty damn hard if you're not used to it.

The gear is silly but it's FUN!

Pat Styles
October 18th 04, 02:51 PM
"Will" > wrote in message
m...
> Will > wrote in message
> > I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
> > share my joy...
> >
> > This is my new gym:
> > http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
> >
> > It rocks.
>
> More pictures:
> http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index2.html
>
> For the sharp-eyed folks, yes indeed that is a pair of briefs sticking
> out from under my suit. Most of the guys at the gym lift in the APF
> and we are entering an upcoming meet as a team, so I am training
> accordingly. Right now I'm just borrowing the extra gear, those
> briefs were way too big for me but still gave me a 30 lb PR.

You're wearing other people's lifting underwear?

On
> Monday I'm trying out a double denim bench shirt. At least I still
> walkout my squats, but only because setting up under the monolift is
> pretty damn hard if you're not used to it.
>
> The gear is silly but it's FUN!

Dude, you are a FREAK! ;-)
ps

Will
October 18th 04, 08:40 PM
"Pat Styles" > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Will" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Will > wrote in message
> > > I'm sure 99% of you could care less but for the powerlifters I wanted to
> > > share my joy...
> > >
> > > This is my new gym:
> > > http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index.html
> > >
> > > It rocks.
> >
> > More pictures:
> > http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index2.html
> >
> > For the sharp-eyed folks, yes indeed that is a pair of briefs sticking
> > out from under my suit. Most of the guys at the gym lift in the APF
> > and we are entering an upcoming meet as a team, so I am training
> > accordingly. Right now I'm just borrowing the extra gear, those
> > briefs were way too big for me but still gave me a 30 lb PR.
>
> You're wearing other people's lifting underwear?

I have my own pair of tighty whiteys on underneath.

Pat Styles
October 19th 04, 02:49 AM
"Will" > wrote in message
om...
> "Pat Styles" > wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Will" > wrote in message
> > m...

> > > More pictures:
> > > http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/WorldGym/index2.html
> > >
> > > For the sharp-eyed folks, yes indeed that is a pair of briefs sticking
> > > out from under my suit. Most of the guys at the gym lift in the APF
> > > and we are entering an upcoming meet as a team, so I am training
> > > accordingly. Right now I'm just borrowing the extra gear, those
> > > briefs were way too big for me but still gave me a 30 lb PR.
> >
> > You're wearing other people's lifting underwear?
>
> I have my own pair of tighty whiteys on underneath.

You're still sharing underwear, and you're still a FREAK, even super freaky.
ps

Will
October 19th 04, 05:00 AM
(Will) wrote in message news:

> Monday I'm trying out a double denim bench shirt.

Didn't fit, too big. :( I was so ****ed I hit a huge PR off 5
boards. 6 wheels. In a Titan shirt and with a maximum-wdith grip,
but still...