PDA

View Full Version : Raising Energy Levels

Brian Link
October 5th 04, 06:50 AM
I lift 3-4 times a week. No cardio yet, because so far I've had good
bodyshaping gains from lifting alone. I'm a smoker, and get
insufficient rest prolly 50% of the time. I'm 42 years old with
average to high testosterone levels for my age group. Current daily
supplements consist of a multivitamin, L-Arginine and Tribulus. I'll
start back on Creatine shortly. 2-3 cups of coffee a day.

I'm trying to pin down why I feel tired and drawn out during the day.
In an ideal world, all of the insufficiencies listed above would be
taken care of in one fell swoop. For now, I'm trying to at least
narrow the culprits for my fatigue down to single items I can tackle
separately.

Any ideas? I think I could either 1) add cardio 2) quit smoking (or at
least reduce it significantly) 3) plan to get decent amounts of rest
singly if I had a feel for what in particular was causing the fatigue.

It's hard to fix em all if I feel like taking a nap from the moment I
wake up to when I go to sleep. One at a time might be doable.

The main issue lately is that, after a week and a half of strategic
deconditioning, I'm having trouble dragging my ass back to the gym on
a regular basis.

I'm interested in other folks' experiences with regaining "pep" in
their daily life. Thanks for any info.

BLink

Hugh Beyer
October 5th 04, 12:45 PM
Brian Link > wrote in news:usc4m0t6pgk3h5kd7skqq32ajo671pq7e5
@4ax.com:

> I lift 3-4 times a week. No cardio yet, because so far I've had good
> bodyshaping gains from lifting alone. I'm a smoker, and get
> insufficient rest prolly 50% of the time. I'm 42 years old with
> average to high testosterone levels for my age group. Current daily
> supplements consist of a multivitamin, L-Arginine and Tribulus. I'll
> start back on Creatine shortly. 2-3 cups of coffee a day.
>
> I'm trying to pin down why I feel tired and drawn out during the day.
> In an ideal world, all of the insufficiencies listed above would be
> taken care of in one fell swoop. For now, I'm trying to at least
> narrow the culprits for my fatigue down to single items I can tackle
> separately.
>
> Any ideas? I think I could either 1) add cardio 2) quit smoking (or at
> least reduce it significantly) 3) plan to get decent amounts of rest
> singly if I had a feel for what in particular was causing the fatigue.
>
> It's hard to fix em all if I feel like taking a nap from the moment I
> wake up to when I go to sleep. One at a time might be doable.
>
> The main issue lately is that, after a week and a half of strategic
> deconditioning, I'm having trouble dragging my ass back to the gym on
> a regular basis.
>
> I'm interested in other folks' experiences with regaining "pep" in
> their daily life. Thanks for any info.

Get a more interesting job.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Justin Case
October 5th 04, 12:57 PM
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:50:46 -0500, Brian Link > wrote:

>I lift 3-4 times a week. No cardio yet, because so far I've had good
>bodyshaping gains from lifting alone. I'm a smoker, and get
>insufficient rest prolly 50% of the time. I'm 42 years old with
>average to high testosterone levels for my age group. Current daily
>supplements consist of a multivitamin, L-Arginine and Tribulus. I'll
>start back on Creatine shortly. 2-3 cups of coffee a day.
>
>I'm trying to pin down why I feel tired and drawn out during the day.
>In an ideal world, all of the insufficiencies listed above would be
>taken care of in one fell swoop. For now, I'm trying to at least
>narrow the culprits for my fatigue down to single items I can tackle
>separately.
>
>Any ideas? I think I could either 1) add cardio 2) quit smoking (or at
>least reduce it significantly) 3) plan to get decent amounts of rest
>singly if I had a feel for what in particular was causing the fatigue.
>
>It's hard to fix em all if I feel like taking a nap from the moment I
>wake up to when I go to sleep. One at a time might be doable.
>
>The main issue lately is that, after a week and a half of strategic
>deconditioning, I'm having trouble dragging my ass back to the gym on
>a regular basis.
>
>I'm interested in other folks' experiences with regaining "pep" in
>their daily life. Thanks for any info.

Hi, Brain,
First on the list is quit smoking. Until you stop, you'll have no idea
what affect it has on you. You'll be surprised at how much better you'll
feel.
The obvious next thing is getting what ever rest you think you're
missing.

Feeling you need a nap all the time that's not exactly lack of "pep".
I was like that for years & thought it was just part of getting older.
I actually had cardiac issues. When they were taken care of, I felt like
I did in my 20's. I hadn't quit smoking for a while afterwards either.
There are some insidious things that can go on for years & get you
little by little. I'm not suggesting that there's something serious
here, just that there are other things to consider besides the obvious.

Larry Hodges
October 5th 04, 07:16 PM
Brian Link wrote:
> I lift 3-4 times a week. No cardio yet, because so far I've had good
> bodyshaping gains from lifting alone. I'm a smoker, and get
> insufficient rest prolly 50% of the time. I'm 42 years old with
> average to high testosterone levels for my age group. Current daily
> supplements consist of a multivitamin, L-Arginine and Tribulus. I'll
> start back on Creatine shortly. 2-3 cups of coffee a day.
>
> I'm trying to pin down why I feel tired and drawn out during the day.
> In an ideal world, all of the insufficiencies listed above would be
> taken care of in one fell swoop. For now, I'm trying to at least
> narrow the culprits for my fatigue down to single items I can tackle
> separately.
>
> Any ideas? I think I could either 1) add cardio 2) quit smoking (or at
> least reduce it significantly) 3) plan to get decent amounts of rest
> singly if I had a feel for what in particular was causing the fatigue.
>
> It's hard to fix em all if I feel like taking a nap from the moment I
> wake up to when I go to sleep. One at a time might be doable.
>
> The main issue lately is that, after a week and a half of strategic
> deconditioning, I'm having trouble dragging my ass back to the gym on
> a regular basis.
>
> I'm interested in other folks' experiences with regaining "pep" in
> their daily life. Thanks for any info.
>
> BLink

Stop smoking is the obvious no-brainer.

The rest factor saps me of energy. If I'm not getting enough sleep, I'm
dragging. And if I'm lifting hard, I need more sleep than if I'm sedentary.
7-8 hrs per night works. On the weekend, I'll sleep 10 hrs. Last weekend,
I slept 12 one night. If I'm not working out (which has been a few years
ago actually), I could sleep 6 hrs per night and be just fine.
--
-Larry

Dally
October 5th 04, 08:42 PM
Brian Link wrote:

> I lift 3-4 times a week. No cardio yet, because so far I've had good
> bodyshaping gains from lifting alone. I'm a smoker, and get
> insufficient rest prolly 50% of the time. I'm 42 years old with
> average to high testosterone levels for my age group. Current daily
> supplements consist of a multivitamin, L-Arginine and Tribulus. I'll
> start back on Creatine shortly. 2-3 cups of coffee a day.
>
> I'm trying to pin down why I feel tired and drawn out during the day.

You're serious, aren't you? Go to bed the other 50% of the time. Sleep
deprivation is cumulative. If you aren't popping awake ready to get up
when your alarm is about to go off then you aren't getting to bed early
enough.

My advice is to unplug the television. That ought to solve half the
problems right there. (The other half come when you decide to quit
smoking.)

Dally

art
October 5th 04, 10:09 PM
1. Quit smoking.....you have no idea how much it drains your body. I smoked
3 packs a day for 30 years and quit 10 years ago. The energy bounce is
amazing.

2. See a doctor. If you can, get a stress test. Health issues are not easily
diagnosed without one and who knows what's going on for you. It's always
good to know what's going on inside.

3. Stop drinking coffee. Another big energy drain. When I gave up
cigarettes, I gave up coffee about 6 months later. Another big bounce.

4. Diet. What are you eating? It's worth seeing a nutrtionist for a consult.
They know amazing things about energy and how to get it with good foods.

Cardio is also a great thing. But only after working on the above.......

Best of luck.....

"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> I lift 3-4 times a week. No cardio yet, because so far I've had good
> bodyshaping gains from lifting alone. I'm a smoker, and get
> insufficient rest prolly 50% of the time. I'm 42 years old with
> average to high testosterone levels for my age group. Current daily
> supplements consist of a multivitamin, L-Arginine and Tribulus. I'll
> start back on Creatine shortly. 2-3 cups of coffee a day.
>
> I'm trying to pin down why I feel tired and drawn out during the day.
> In an ideal world, all of the insufficiencies listed above would be
> taken care of in one fell swoop. For now, I'm trying to at least
> narrow the culprits for my fatigue down to single items I can tackle
> separately.
>
> Any ideas? I think I could either 1) add cardio 2) quit smoking (or at
> least reduce it significantly) 3) plan to get decent amounts of rest
> singly if I had a feel for what in particular was causing the fatigue.
>
> It's hard to fix em all if I feel like taking a nap from the moment I
> wake up to when I go to sleep. One at a time might be doable.
>
> The main issue lately is that, after a week and a half of strategic
> deconditioning, I'm having trouble dragging my ass back to the gym on
> a regular basis.
>
> I'm interested in other folks' experiences with regaining "pep" in
> their daily life. Thanks for any info.
>
> BLink

John Hanson
October 5th 04, 11:31 PM
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:50:46 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>I lift 3-4 times a week. No cardio yet, because so far I've had good
>bodyshaping gains from lifting alone. I'm a smoker, and get
>insufficient rest prolly 50% of the time. I'm 42 years old with
>average to high testosterone levels for my age group. Current daily
>supplements consist of a multivitamin, L-Arginine and Tribulus. I'll
>start back on Creatine shortly. 2-3 cups of coffee a day.
>
>I'm trying to pin down why I feel tired and drawn out during the day.
>In an ideal world, all of the insufficiencies listed above would be
>taken care of in one fell swoop. For now, I'm trying to at least
>narrow the culprits for my fatigue down to single items I can tackle
>separately.
>
>Any ideas? I think I could either 1) add cardio 2) quit smoking (or at
>least reduce it significantly) 3) plan to get decent amounts of rest
>singly if I had a feel for what in particular was causing the fatigue.
>
>It's hard to fix em all if I feel like taking a nap from the moment I
>wake up to when I go to sleep. One at a time might be doable.
>
>The main issue lately is that, after a week and a half of strategic
>deconditioning, I'm having trouble dragging my ass back to the gym on
>a regular basis.
>
>I'm interested in other folks' experiences with regaining "pep" in
>their daily life. Thanks for any info.

Sleep in.

You coming to the Hudson this year? It's the 23 of this month. We
may need help with spotting and loading as two of the guys who helped
last year are competing and two others are injured. I'll buy you a
beer.

Brian Link
October 6th 04, 04:16 AM
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:31:06 -0500, John Hanson
> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:50:46 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
>in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>I lift 3-4 times a week. No cardio yet, because so far I've had good
>>bodyshaping gains from lifting alone. I'm a smoker, and get
>>insufficient rest prolly 50% of the time. I'm 42 years old with
>>average to high testosterone levels for my age group. Current daily
>>supplements consist of a multivitamin, L-Arginine and Tribulus. I'll
>>start back on Creatine shortly. 2-3 cups of coffee a day.
>>
>>I'm trying to pin down why I feel tired and drawn out during the day.
>>In an ideal world, all of the insufficiencies listed above would be
>>taken care of in one fell swoop. For now, I'm trying to at least
>>narrow the culprits for my fatigue down to single items I can tackle
>>separately.
>>
>>Any ideas? I think I could either 1) add cardio 2) quit smoking (or at
>>least reduce it significantly) 3) plan to get decent amounts of rest
>>singly if I had a feel for what in particular was causing the fatigue.
>>
>>It's hard to fix em all if I feel like taking a nap from the moment I
>>wake up to when I go to sleep. One at a time might be doable.
>>
>>The main issue lately is that, after a week and a half of strategic
>>deconditioning, I'm having trouble dragging my ass back to the gym on
>>a regular basis.
>>
>>I'm interested in other folks' experiences with regaining "pep" in
>>their daily life. Thanks for any info.
>>
>Sleep in.
>
>You coming to the Hudson this year? It's the 23 of this month. We
>may need help with spotting and loading as two of the guys who helped
>last year are competing and two others are injured. I'll buy you a
>beer.

I dunno man.. with the knockdowns on politics here I'd be looking over
my shoulder for flying plates.. =)

23rd is iffy. I'd like to come though. What webpages list local
competitions? Last year was a hella motivator for me.

BLink

John Hanson
October 6th 04, 04:35 AM
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:16:40 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:31:06 -0500, John Hanson
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:50:46 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
>>in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>>>I lift 3-4 times a week. No cardio yet, because so far I've had good
>>>bodyshaping gains from lifting alone. I'm a smoker, and get
>>>insufficient rest prolly 50% of the time. I'm 42 years old with
>>>average to high testosterone levels for my age group. Current daily
>>>supplements consist of a multivitamin, L-Arginine and Tribulus. I'll
>>>start back on Creatine shortly. 2-3 cups of coffee a day.
>>>
>>>I'm trying to pin down why I feel tired and drawn out during the day.
>>>In an ideal world, all of the insufficiencies listed above would be
>>>taken care of in one fell swoop. For now, I'm trying to at least
>>>narrow the culprits for my fatigue down to single items I can tackle
>>>separately.
>>>
>>>Any ideas? I think I could either 1) add cardio 2) quit smoking (or at
>>>least reduce it significantly) 3) plan to get decent amounts of rest
>>>singly if I had a feel for what in particular was causing the fatigue.
>>>
>>>It's hard to fix em all if I feel like taking a nap from the moment I
>>>wake up to when I go to sleep. One at a time might be doable.
>>>
>>>The main issue lately is that, after a week and a half of strategic
>>>deconditioning, I'm having trouble dragging my ass back to the gym on
>>>a regular basis.
>>>
>>>I'm interested in other folks' experiences with regaining "pep" in
>>>their daily life. Thanks for any info.
>>>
>>Sleep in.
>>
>>You coming to the Hudson this year? It's the 23 of this month. We
>>may need help with spotting and loading as two of the guys who helped
>>last year are competing and two others are injured. I'll buy you a
>>beer.
>
>I dunno man.. with the knockdowns on politics here I'd be looking over
>my shoulder for flying plates.. =)

LOL. I don't think you have anything to worry about even if most
powerlifters are conservative.

>23rd is iffy. I'd like to come though. What webpages list local
>competitions? Last year was a hella motivator for me.

www.thepress.org but the Hudson is the last one for the year.

Larry Hodges
October 6th 04, 06:30 AM
John Hanson wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:16:40 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:31:06 -0500, John Hanson
>> > wrote:

>>> Sleep in.
>>>
>>> You coming to the Hudson this year? It's the 23 of this month. We
>>> may need help with spotting and loading as two of the guys who
>>> helped last year are competing and two others are injured. I'll
>>> buy you a beer.
>>
>> I dunno man.. with the knockdowns on politics here I'd be looking
>> over my shoulder for flying plates.. =)
>
> LOL. I don't think you have anything to worry about even if most
> powerlifters are conservative.

It's us conservatives that are the tolerant ones in the bunch. The Lefties
are the ones that would like to silence us. Kind of like in the old USSR
after the Communist Revolution.
--
-Larry

Brian Link
October 6th 04, 08:43 AM
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:30:37 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
> wrote:

>John Hanson wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:16:40 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
>> in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:31:06 -0500, John Hanson

>>> I dunno man.. with the knockdowns on politics here I'd be looking
>>> over my shoulder for flying plates.. =)
>>
>> LOL. I don't think you have anything to worry about even if most
>> powerlifters are conservative.
>
>It's us conservatives that are the tolerant ones in the bunch. The Lefties
>are the ones that would like to silence us. Kind of like in the old USSR
>after the Communist Revolution.

Oh man.. I already made the mistake of digging into another political
debate instead of just reading weightlifting posts.

You guys seem intelligent.. why can't you see how you're being lied to
and misled by the current administration? This puzzles me no end. Just
when it seems I'll hear the reasoning behind an inscrutable position,
the conversation disintegrates into name-calling and jingoism. I have
yet to hear a persuasive argument from the right that doesn't simply
lie or distort fact. Yet you all seem to believe it with a sort of
religious fervor. The Republican's own luminaries are increasingly
finding fault with monkey-boy and Darth Cheney. But the true believers
stick to their guns.

Maybe that's the key.. religious faith relies on belief not fact.

Bah. We'll see if Benjamin Franklin was right.

BLink

Proton Soup
October 6th 04, 03:49 PM
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 02:43:54 -0500, Brian Link > wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:30:37 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
> wrote:
>
>>John Hanson wrote:
>>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:16:40 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
>>> in misc.fitness.weights:

>>> LOL. I don't think you have anything to worry about even if most
>>> powerlifters are conservative.
>>
>>It's us conservatives that are the tolerant ones in the bunch. The Lefties
>>are the ones that would like to silence us. Kind of like in the old USSR
>>after the Communist Revolution.
>
>Oh man.. I already made the mistake of digging into another political
>debate instead of just reading weightlifting posts.
>
>You guys seem intelligent.. why can't you see how you're being lied to
>and misled by the current administration? This puzzles me no end. Just
>when it seems I'll hear the reasoning behind an inscrutable position,
>the conversation disintegrates into name-calling and jingoism. I have
>yet to hear a persuasive argument from the right that doesn't simply
>lie or distort fact. Yet you all seem to believe it with a sort of
>religious fervor. The Republican's own luminaries are increasingly
>finding fault with monkey-boy and Darth Cheney. But the true believers
>stick to their guns.

Pot, meet kettle.

>Maybe that's the key.. religious faith relies on belief not fact.
>
>Bah. We'll see if Benjamin Franklin was right.
>
>BLink

-----------
Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."

Larry Hodges
October 6th 04, 05:44 PM
Proton Soup wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 02:43:54 -0500, Brian Link > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:30:37 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
>> > wrote:

>>> It's us conservatives that are the tolerant ones in the bunch. The
>>> Lefties are the ones that would like to silence us. Kind of like
>>> in the old USSR after the Communist Revolution.
>>
>> Oh man.. I already made the mistake of digging into another political
>> debate instead of just reading weightlifting posts.
>>
>> You guys seem intelligent.. why can't you see how you're being lied
>> to and misled by the current administration? This puzzles me no end.
>> Just when it seems I'll hear the reasoning behind an inscrutable
>> position, the conversation disintegrates into name-calling and
>> jingoism. I have yet to hear a persuasive argument from the right
>> that doesn't simply lie or distort fact. Yet you all seem to believe
>> it with a sort of religious fervor. The Republican's own luminaries
>> are increasingly finding fault with monkey-boy and Darth Cheney. But
>> the true believers stick to their guns.
>
> Pot, meet kettle.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
--
-Larry

Dally
October 6th 04, 06:30 PM
Proton Soup wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 02:43:54 -0500, Brian Link > wrote:
>

>>Just
>>when it seems I'll hear the reasoning behind an inscrutable position,
>>the conversation disintegrates into name-calling and jingoism. I have
>>yet to hear a persuasive argument from the right that doesn't simply
>>lie or distort fact. Yet you all seem to believe it with a sort of
>>religious fervor. The Republican's own luminaries are increasingly
>>finding fault with monkey-boy and Darth Cheney. But the true believers
>>stick to their guns.
>

> Pot, meet kettle.
>

>>Maybe that's the key.. religious faith relies on belief not fact.

Exactly. You can't argue with religious fact. And it's too hard to be
respectfully unbiased and tolerant of beliefs you believe to be wrong.
So just don't discuss them.

My dearest friend is a gun-toting Republican. I was at an event with
her last night that got out at 9:00. We toyed with the idea of watching
the debate together but I told her it wouldn't work: I was going to
watch a Squalid Toad vs My Chosen Prince and she wasn't going to be at
the same event at all. It's best for our friendship if we just don't
discuss it. (My husband, a gun-toting Independent, can watch with me
because he hates Bush/Cheney/Rove just as much as I do.)

>>Bah. We'll see if Benjamin Franklin was right.

Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise? Are
we back on topic now?

Dally

bc
October 6th 04, 09:03 PM
Dally > wrote in message >...
> Brian Link wrote:
>
> > I lift 3-4 times a week. No cardio yet, because so far I've had good
> > bodyshaping gains from lifting alone. I'm a smoker, and get
> > insufficient rest prolly 50% of the time. I'm 42 years old with
> > average to high testosterone levels for my age group. Current daily
> > supplements consist of a multivitamin, L-Arginine and Tribulus. I'll
> > start back on Creatine shortly. 2-3 cups of coffee a day.
> >
> > I'm trying to pin down why I feel tired and drawn out during the day.
>
> You're serious, aren't you? Go to bed the other 50% of the time. Sleep
> deprivation is cumulative. If you aren't popping awake ready to get up
> when your alarm is about to go off then you aren't getting to bed early
> enough.
>
> My advice is to unplug the television. That ought to solve half the
> problems right there. (The other half come when you decide to quit
> smoking.)

A-men. Latenight stupid-vision is a major energy sapper for me. I
decided to set up a whole new fitness program. First thing on the
page: go to bed at 10pm.

- bc

Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
October 6th 04, 11:02 PM
John Hanson wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:50:46 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>

>>I lift 3-4 times a week. No cardio yet, because so far I've had good
>>bodyshaping gains from lifting alone. I'm a smoker, and get
>>insufficient rest prolly 50% of the time. I'm 42 years old with
>>average to high testosterone levels for my age group. Current daily
>>supplements consist of a multivitamin, L-Arginine and Tribulus. I'll
>>start back on Creatine shortly. 2-3 cups of coffee a day.
>>
>>I'm trying to pin down why I feel tired and drawn out during the day.
>>In an ideal world, all of the insufficiencies listed above would be
>>taken care of in one fell swoop. For now, I'm trying to at least
>>narrow the culprits for my fatigue down to single items I can tackle
>>separately.
>>
>>Any ideas? I think I could either 1) add cardio 2) quit smoking (or at
>>least reduce it significantly) 3) plan to get decent amounts of rest
>>singly if I had a feel for what in particular was causing the fatigue.
>>
>>It's hard to fix em all if I feel like taking a nap from the moment I
>>wake up to when I go to sleep. One at a time might be doable.
>>
>>The main issue lately is that, after a week and a half of strategic
>>deconditioning, I'm having trouble dragging my ass back to the gym on
>>a regular basis.
>>
>>I'm interested in other folks' experiences with regaining "pep" in
>>their daily life. Thanks for any info.
>>

> Sleep in.
>
> You coming to the Hudson this year? It's the 23 of this month. We
> may need help with spotting and loading as two of the guys who helped
> last year are competing and two others are injured. I'll buy you a
> beer.

Is there any opportunity for observers? I'd love to actually watch an
event. (I've never actually seen anyone else squat or deadlift in real
life!) I'm going to be in town on the 23rd...

Anna

MJL
October 7th 04, 04:06 AM
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:58:56 GMT, DZ
> wrote:

>bc > wrote:
>>
>> A-men. Latenight stupid-vision is a major energy sapper for me. I
>> decided to set up a whole new fitness program. First thing on the
>> page: go to bed at 10pm.
>
>Or do yourself a favor and start waking up at noon. Morning is the
>best time to get nibbled to death by ducks at the workplace. There are
>only few things more annoying than morning hysteric and mindlessly
>eager activity. It's when the smell of freshly brewed coffee rolls
>down the hallway and cheerful people are full of transient ideas (that
>are best ignored).

Nicely done.

{golf clap}

--
http://www.texansfortruth.org/

John Hanson
October 7th 04, 05:33 PM
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:02:46 GMT, Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:50:46 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
>> in misc.fitness.weights:
>>

>>>I lift 3-4 times a week. No cardio yet, because so far I've had good
>>>bodyshaping gains from lifting alone. I'm a smoker, and get
>>>insufficient rest prolly 50% of the time. I'm 42 years old with
>>>average to high testosterone levels for my age group. Current daily
>>>supplements consist of a multivitamin, L-Arginine and Tribulus. I'll
>>>start back on Creatine shortly. 2-3 cups of coffee a day.
>>>
>>>I'm trying to pin down why I feel tired and drawn out during the day.
>>>In an ideal world, all of the insufficiencies listed above would be
>>>taken care of in one fell swoop. For now, I'm trying to at least
>>>narrow the culprits for my fatigue down to single items I can tackle
>>>separately.
>>>
>>>Any ideas? I think I could either 1) add cardio 2) quit smoking (or at
>>>least reduce it significantly) 3) plan to get decent amounts of rest
>>>singly if I had a feel for what in particular was causing the fatigue.
>>>
>>>It's hard to fix em all if I feel like taking a nap from the moment I
>>>wake up to when I go to sleep. One at a time might be doable.
>>>
>>>The main issue lately is that, after a week and a half of strategic
>>>deconditioning, I'm having trouble dragging my ass back to the gym on
>>>a regular basis.
>>>
>>>I'm interested in other folks' experiences with regaining "pep" in
>>>their daily life. Thanks for any info.
>>>

>> Sleep in.
>>
>> You coming to the Hudson this year? It's the 23 of this month. We
>> may need help with spotting and loading as two of the guys who helped
>> last year are competing and two others are injured. I'll buy you a
>> beer.
>>

>Is there any opportunity for observers? I'd love to actually watch an
>event. (I've never actually seen anyone else squat or deadlift in real
>life!) I'm going to be in town on the 23rd...

Absolutely! It's like $3.00 to get in. It's at the Best Western
Hudson House in Hudson, Wisconsin which is on the south side on 94.
I'm looking forward to meeting you!

John Hanson
October 7th 04, 05:35 PM
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 02:43:54 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:30:37 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
> wrote:
>
>>John Hanson wrote:
>>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:16:40 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
>>> in misc.fitness.weights:

>>> LOL. I don't think you have anything to worry about even if most
>>> powerlifters are conservative.
>>
>>It's us conservatives that are the tolerant ones in the bunch. The Lefties
>>are the ones that would like to silence us. Kind of like in the old USSR
>>after the Communist Revolution.
>
>Oh man.. I already made the mistake of digging into another political
>debate instead of just reading weightlifting posts.
>
>You guys seem intelligent.. why can't you see how you're being lied to
>and misled by the current administration? This puzzles me no end. Just
>when it seems I'll hear the reasoning behind an inscrutable position,
>the conversation disintegrates into name-calling and jingoism. I have
>yet to hear a persuasive argument from the right that doesn't simply
>lie or distort fact. Yet you all seem to believe it with a sort of
>religious fervor. The Republican's own luminaries are increasingly
>finding fault with monkey-boy and Darth Cheney. But the true believers
>stick to their guns.
>
>Maybe that's the key.. religious faith relies on belief not fact.
>
>Bah. We'll see if Benjamin Franklin was right.

There is a very large contingent of religious leftists in the country
too.

Brian Link
October 9th 04, 07:23 AM
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:30:30 -0400, Dally > wrote:

>Proton Soup wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 02:43:54 -0500, Brian Link > wrote:
>>

>>>Just
>>>when it seems I'll hear the reasoning behind an inscrutable position,
>>>the conversation disintegrates into name-calling and jingoism. I have
>>>yet to hear a persuasive argument from the right that doesn't simply
>>>lie or distort fact. Yet you all seem to believe it with a sort of
>>>religious fervor. The Republican's own luminaries are increasingly
>>>finding fault with monkey-boy and Darth Cheney. But the true believers
>>>stick to their guns.
>>

>> Pot, meet kettle.
>>

>>>Maybe that's the key.. religious faith relies on belief not fact.
>
>Exactly. You can't argue with religious fact. And it's too hard to be
>respectfully unbiased and tolerant of beliefs you believe to be wrong.
>So just don't discuss them.
>
>My dearest friend is a gun-toting Republican. I was at an event with
>her last night that got out at 9:00. We toyed with the idea of watching
>the debate together but I told her it wouldn't work: I was going to
>watch a Squalid Toad vs My Chosen Prince and she wasn't going to be at
>the same event at all. It's best for our friendship if we just don't
>discuss it. (My husband, a gun-toting Independent, can watch with me
>because he hates Bush/Cheney/Rove just as much as I do.)
>>>
>>>Bah. We'll see if Benjamin Franklin was right.
>
>Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise? Are
>we back on topic now?
>
>Dally

"Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?"
"A republic, if you can keep it."

BLink

Lucas Buck
October 9th 04, 11:38 AM
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 02:43:54 -0500, Brian Link > wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:30:37 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
> wrote:
>
>>John Hanson wrote:
>>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:16:40 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
>>> in misc.fitness.weights:

>>> LOL. I don't think you have anything to worry about even if most
>>> powerlifters are conservative.
>>
>>It's us conservatives that are the tolerant ones in the bunch. The Lefties
>>are the ones that would like to silence us. Kind of like in the old USSR
>>after the Communist Revolution.
>
>Oh man.. I already made the mistake of digging into another political
>debate instead of just reading weightlifting posts.
>
>You guys seem intelligent.. why can't you see how you're being lied to
>and misled by the current administration? This puzzles me no end.

That's because you aren't very aware politically.

Kerry and Edwards not only lie as well, but their track records in the
Senate are weak to nonexistant.

> Just
>when it seems I'll hear the reasoning behind an inscrutable position,
>the conversation disintegrates into name-calling and jingoism. ...

Wait for it...

>The Republican's own luminaries are increasingly
>finding fault with monkey-boy and Darth Cheney.

"Disintegrates into name-calling and jingoism" indeed.

--
Luke lefty AT dodgerssuck.com
"We've got the left turn signal on, and we're headed down another rabbit hole to political oblivion."

Axel of the North!
October 12th 04, 07:07 AM
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:33:40 -0500, John Hanson
> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:02:46 GMT, Anna Martelli Ravenscroft
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>John Hanson wrote:
>>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:50:46 -0500, Brian Link > wrote
>>> in misc.fitness.weights:

>>> Sleep in.
>>>
>>> You coming to the Hudson this year? It's the 23 of this month. We
>>> may need help with spotting and loading as two of the guys who helped
>>> last year are competing and two others are injured. I'll buy you a
>>> beer.
>>>

>>Is there any opportunity for observers? I'd love to actually watch an
>>event. (I've never actually seen anyone else squat or deadlift in real
>>life!) I'm going to be in town on the 23rd...
>>
>Absolutely! It's like $3.00 to get in. It's at the Best Western
>Hudson House in Hudson, Wisconsin which is on the south side on 94.
>I'm looking forward to meeting you!

what do YOU think of that, Hudson?

???