PDA

View Full Version : Paul Anderson

DeWayne
October 5th 04, 11:16 AM
http://www.mcshane-enterprises.com/ASL/anderson.html

According to this web site Paul Anderson clean and jerked 480 lbs. and did a
one arm press of 380, squatted 900 for 10 reps, OLY pressed 400 for 7 reps,
and a single squat of 1206, bench pressed 627. He died at age 61.

DeWayne

Robert Schuh
October 6th 04, 08:21 AM
DeWayne wrote:

> http://www.mcshane-enterprises.com/ASL/anderson.html
>
> According to this web site Paul Anderson clean and jerked 480 lbs. and did a
> one arm press of 380, squatted 900 for 10 reps, OLY pressed 400 for 7 reps,
> and a single squat of 1206, bench pressed 627. He died at age 61.
>
> DeWayne

If you believe those lifts, I have some WONDERFUL swamp land for you! :-)

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

Helgi Briem
October 6th 04, 10:46 AM
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:21:40 -0700, Robert Schuh >
wrote:

>DeWayne wrote:
>
>> http://www.mcshane-enterprises.com/ASL/anderson.html
>>
>> According to this web site Paul Anderson clean and jerked 480 lbs. and did a
>> one arm press of 380, squatted 900 for 10 reps, OLY pressed 400 for 7 reps,
>> and a single squat of 1206, bench pressed 627. He died at age 61.
>>
>> DeWayne
>
>If you believe those lifts, I have some WONDERFUL swamp land for you! :-)

Well, some are probably a bit exaggerated. It is still well
documented that he would turn up at powerlifting meets,
add 100 lbs to the winner's best squat, up to 900 or so
and do 10 reps easily. He used to do this all the time
in front of hundreds of witnesses. Many of the other lifts
are equally well documented. All the top powerlifters
of the period, like Terry Todd and Ron Cole, acknowledged
that he was far stronger than they were. The 1200 squat does
not seem to be as certain as the other lifts and the 6 ton back
lift was definitely bogus.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

"Don't worry about it, son. God is just messing with your head."

shumway
October 6th 04, 02:01 PM
Helgi Briem wrote:

> Well, some are probably a bit exaggerated. It is still well
> documented that he would turn up at powerlifting meets,
> add 100 lbs to the winner's best squat, up to 900 or so
> and do 10 reps easily. He used to do this all the time
> in front of hundreds of witnesses. Many of the other lifts
> are equally well documented. All the top powerlifters
> of the period, like Terry Todd and Ron Cole, acknowledged
> that he was far stronger than they were. The 1200 squat does
> not seem to be as certain as the other lifts and the 6 ton back
> lift was definitely bogus.
>
> --

What is a back lift? I remember seeing that as a kid in the Guiness book and
wondering what is a back lift.

Helgi Briem
October 6th 04, 02:13 PM
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:01:18 GMT, shumway > wrote:

>What is a back lift? I remember seeing that as a kid in the
>Guiness book and wondering what is a back lift.

Legs slightly bent, body bent over, hands grasping upright posts
or on some sort of bench thingie.

Weights piled on table across back. Weight counted as lifted when
all four legs leave the ground at the same time.

I don't believe there are any clearly defined criteria, as
it is not a recognised competitive lift. It is often used
in strongman contests, but the world's strongest men
typically lift less than half of what Paul Anderson is
credited with.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

"Don't worry about it, son. God is just messing with your head."

DeWayne
October 6th 04, 03:26 PM
"Robert Schuh" > wrote in message
> DeWayne wrote:
>
>> http://www.mcshane-enterprises.com/ASL/anderson.html
>>
>> According to this web site Paul Anderson clean and jerked 480 lbs. and
>> did a
>> one arm press of 380, squatted 900 for 10 reps, OLY pressed 400 for 7
>> reps,
>> and a single squat of 1206, bench pressed 627. He died at age 61.
>>
>> DeWayne
>
> If you believe those lifts, I have some WONDERFUL swamp land for you! :-)

There are several well known witnesses listed on this same site.

Keith Hobman
October 6th 04, 08:32 PM
In article >, Robert Schuh
> wrote:

> DeWayne wrote:
>
> > http://www.mcshane-enterprises.com/ASL/anderson.html
> >
> > According to this web site Paul Anderson clean and jerked 480 lbs. and did a
> > one arm press of 380, squatted 900 for 10 reps, OLY pressed 400 for 7 reps,
> > and a single squat of 1206, bench pressed 627. He died at age 61.
> >
> > DeWayne
>
> If you believe those lifts, I have some WONDERFUL swamp land for you! :-)

Believe them. Rob. Really.

The 1200 lb squat was a partial squat, but still far deeper than most
people squat. I've seen the picture and he looks to be 4" or so above
parallel.

The C&J is well documented. He did around that at dozens of exhibitions
where he exceeded the WR of the day.

The press was done at a meet where a Russian did over 400 for the top C&J.
Anderson then went up in the exhibition after the lifting and totally
humiliated the Russian by power cleaning and then pressing for reps what
the guy did once for a C&J.

Bench press is the only lift I'm not sure about. I've seen shots of the
300 lb one arm press and believe it. Remember, this was a contested lift
until the 40's or so. It had rules of performance. FWIW Alexeiev still
holds the record of snatching a 275 lb barbell with one hand.

DeWayne
October 6th 04, 08:51 PM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article >, Robert Schuh
> > wrote:
>
>> DeWayne wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.mcshane-enterprises.com/ASL/anderson.html
>> >
>> > According to this web site Paul Anderson clean and jerked 480 lbs. and
>> > did a
>> > one arm press of 380, squatted 900 for 10 reps, OLY pressed 400 for 7
>> > reps,
>> > and a single squat of 1206, bench pressed 627. He died at age 61.
>> >
>> > DeWayne
>>
>> If you believe those lifts, I have some WONDERFUL swamp land for you! :-)
>
> Believe them. Rob. Really.
>
> The 1200 lb squat was a partial squat, but still far deeper than most
> people squat. I've seen the picture and he looks to be 4" or so above
> parallel.

As big as Paul Anderson was, I doubt if he could even go parallel.

DeWayne

> The C&J is well documented. He did around that at dozens of exhibitions
> where he exceeded the WR of the day.
>
> The press was done at a meet where a Russian did over 400 for the top C&J.
> Anderson then went up in the exhibition after the lifting and totally
> humiliated the Russian by power cleaning and then pressing for reps what
> the guy did once for a C&J.
>
> Bench press is the only lift I'm not sure about. I've seen shots of the
> 300 lb one arm press and believe it. Remember, this was a contested lift
> until the 40's or so. It had rules of performance. FWIW Alexeiev still
> holds the record of snatching a 275 lb barbell with one hand.

Keith Hobman
October 6th 04, 09:11 PM
In article >, "DeWayne"
> wrote:

> "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> > In article >, Robert Schuh
> > > wrote:

> >> If you believe those lifts, I have some WONDERFUL swamp land for you! :-)
> >
> > Believe them. Rob. Really.
> >
> > The 1200 lb squat was a partial squat, but still far deeper than most
> > people squat. I've seen the picture and he looks to be 4" or so above
> > parallel.
>
> As big as Paul Anderson was, I doubt if he could even go parallel.
>
> DeWayne

I've seen pics of him below when he was younger, but especially with a
low-bar squat.

Yeah. His leg and torso girth are so huge.

Lyle McDonald
October 6th 04, 09:12 PM
Keith Hobman wrote:

> In article >, Robert Schuh
> > wrote:
>

>>DeWayne wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.mcshane-enterprises.com/ASL/anderson.html
>>>
>>>According to this web site Paul Anderson clean and jerked 480 lbs. and did a
>>>one arm press of 380, squatted 900 for 10 reps, OLY pressed 400 for 7 reps,
>>>and a single squat of 1206, bench pressed 627. He died at age 61.
>>>
>>>DeWayne
>>
>>If you believe those lifts, I have some WONDERFUL swamp land for you! :-)
>

> Believe them. Rob. Really.

Yup, all documented in his biography with pictures.

Lyle

Robert Schuh
October 8th 04, 12:19 AM
Helgi Briem wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:01:18 GMT, shumway > wrote:
>
> >What is a back lift? I remember seeing that as a kid in the
> >Guiness book and wondering what is a back lift.
>
> Legs slightly bent, body bent over, hands grasping upright posts
> or on some sort of bench thingie.
>
> Weights piled on table across back. Weight counted as lifted when
> all four legs leave the ground at the same time.
>
> I don't believe there are any clearly defined criteria, as
> it is not a recognised competitive lift. It is often used
> in strongman contests, but the world's strongest men
> typically lift less than half of what Paul Anderson is
> credited with.
>
> --
> Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is
>
> "Don't worry about it, son. God is just messing with your head."

It was done with a strap or belt around the mid section and the range of
motion was minimal. Isn't it interesting that all these so called lifts
were never done in competition? If one could do 10 reps with 900, what
would a single work out to be? I would ask Fred Hatfield about these
lifts.

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

Robert Schuh
October 8th 04, 12:20 AM
DeWayne wrote:

> "Robert Schuh" > wrote in message
> > DeWayne wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.mcshane-enterprises.com/ASL/anderson.html
> >>
> >> According to this web site Paul Anderson clean and jerked 480 lbs. and
> >> did a
> >> one arm press of 380, squatted 900 for 10 reps, OLY pressed 400 for 7
> >> reps,
> >> and a single squat of 1206, bench pressed 627. He died at age 61.
> >>
> >> DeWayne
> >
> > If you believe those lifts, I have some WONDERFUL swamp land for you! :-)
>
> There are several well known witnesses listed on this same site.

Well, we ALL know how accurate eye witnesses are. People believe all the lies
about Jesus walking on water, coming back from the dead from "eye witnesses,"
but any thinking human knows that was bull**** too.

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

Robert Schuh
October 8th 04, 12:23 AM
Keith Hobman wrote:

> In article >, Robert Schuh
> > wrote:
>
> > DeWayne wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.mcshane-enterprises.com/ASL/anderson.html
> > >
> > > According to this web site Paul Anderson clean and jerked 480 lbs. and did a
> > > one arm press of 380, squatted 900 for 10 reps, OLY pressed 400 for 7 reps,
> > > and a single squat of 1206, bench pressed 627. He died at age 61.
> > >
> > > DeWayne
> >
> > If you believe those lifts, I have some WONDERFUL swamp land for you! :-)
>
> Believe them. Rob. Really.
>
> The 1200 lb squat was a partial squat, but still far deeper than most
> people squat. I've seen the picture and he looks to be 4" or so above
> parallel.
>
> The C&J is well documented. He did around that at dozens of exhibitions
> where he exceeded the WR of the day.
>
> The press was done at a meet where a Russian did over 400 for the top C&J.
> Anderson then went up in the exhibition after the lifting and totally
> humiliated the Russian by power cleaning and then pressing for reps what
> the guy did once for a C&J.
>
> Bench press is the only lift I'm not sure about. I've seen shots of the
> 300 lb one arm press and believe it. Remember, this was a contested lift
> until the 40's or so. It had rules of performance. FWIW Alexeiev still
> holds the record of snatching a 275 lb barbell with one hand.

Keith,
My only problem is with the 1200 lb squat and the set of 10 with 900. There is no
doubt Paul Anderson was an AMAZING athlete, but over time, everything tends to get
larger. I don't think even old John Holmes would live up to his hype in real life!
:-)

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

DeWayne
October 8th 04, 12:37 AM
"Robert Schuh" > wrote in message
> Helgi Briem wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:01:18 GMT, shumway > wrote:
>>
>> >What is a back lift? I remember seeing that as a kid in the
>> >Guiness book and wondering what is a back lift.
>>
>> Legs slightly bent, body bent over, hands grasping upright posts
>> or on some sort of bench thingie.
>>
>> Weights piled on table across back. Weight counted as lifted when
>> all four legs leave the ground at the same time.
>>
>> I don't believe there are any clearly defined criteria, as
>> it is not a recognised competitive lift. It is often used
>> in strongman contests, but the world's strongest men
>> typically lift less than half of what Paul Anderson is
>> credited with.
>>
>> --
>> Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is
>>
>> "Don't worry about it, son. God is just messing with your head."
>
> It was done with a strap or belt around the mid section and the range of
> motion was minimal. Isn't it interesting that all these so called lifts
> were never done in competition? If one could do 10 reps with 900, what
> would a single work out to be? I would ask Fred Hatfield about these
> lifts.

I was thinking that Paul Anderson lost his amateur standing early in his
career. If so that could be reason he wasn't competing.

DeWayne

> --
> Robert Schuh
> "Everything that elevates an individual above the herd and
> intimidates the neighbour is henceforth called evil; and
> the fair, modest, submissive and conforming mentality,
> the mediocrity of desires attains moral designations and honors"
> - Nietzsche

Keith Hobman
October 8th 04, 07:56 PM
In article >, Robert Schuh
> wrote:

> Keith Hobman wrote:
>
> > In article >, Robert Schuh
> > > wrote:

and did a

> > > If you believe those lifts, I have some WONDERFUL swamp land for you! :-)
> >
> > Believe them. Rob. Really.
> >
> > The 1200 lb squat was a partial squat, but still far deeper than most
> > people squat. I've seen the picture and he looks to be 4" or so above
> > parallel.
> >
> > The C&J is well documented. He did around that at dozens of exhibitions
> > where he exceeded the WR of the day.
> >
> > The press was done at a meet where a Russian did over 400 for the top C&J.
> > Anderson then went up in the exhibition after the lifting and totally
> > humiliated the Russian by power cleaning and then pressing for reps what
> > the guy did once for a C&J.
> >
> > Bench press is the only lift I'm not sure about. I've seen shots of the
> > 300 lb one arm press and believe it. Remember, this was a contested lift
> > until the 40's or so. It had rules of performance. FWIW Alexeiev still
> > holds the record of snatching a 275 lb barbell with one hand.
>
> Keith,
> My only problem is with the 1200 lb squat and the set of 10 with 900.
There is no
> doubt Paul Anderson was an AMAZING athlete, but over time, everything
tends to get
> larger. I don't think even old John Holmes would live up to his hype in
real life!
> :-)

Agreed on all points. I've never seen any validation worth anything on the
10 reps and we all know these things grow in the telling.

The 1200 lb partial has a picture. It isn't a full squat, as I said. But
this is nit-picking. I agree with you - amazing guy and the legend
grows....