PDA

View Full Version : new vertical leap and speed improvement question

Chris
October 29th 04, 07:29 AM
Ok, so I now this has been asked a thousand times here at some point
or another, but it is really hard to get any clear message from the
multitude of old posts.
I am a fairly new competitive athlete (I'm 21 and have been competing
a lot for about 2 years, first time since I was 15), and I have found
that I am neither quick enough nor can I jump quite high enough to
compete at the levels that I really dream of. In the past couple
years, I have done some lower body lifting and some plyos, but never
stuck on a really regular program for more than 6 weeks or so (because
I usually got discouraged by the yields I was getting for the amount
of work I was putting in - like an inch gain in 5 weeks after working
out over an hour a day for four days a week). But I just can't let
the dream die. I want to embark on a new training program, and I have
about 14 weeks to prepare for my spring season. In that time, I would
really like to gain 4-5 inches on my vertical and improve my speed
(ESPECIALLY my acceleration- I am tall and thus I am not nearly as
quick as I need to be).
My question is as follows (please only respond if you really are
well-informed in these manners, because I have gotten a lot of
unreliable advice):
- Is it really possible for someone who is coordinated and in pretty
good shape to dramatically increase their explosive athletic ability,
or is that just for people who suddenly lose weight or gain correct
running and jumping form? ie. am I doomed by slow twitch muscles?
Are there some people who just will not benefit from plyos and weights
and the like?
-if yes, I am willing to work pretty hard for 3-4 months (say, 1.5
hours per day for four days a week for 12-14 weeks). What kinds of
excercises would be the best use of this time? I am in good shape,
and I will do what it takes if I know that it will really yield
valuable results!

Thank you so much for any advice

Peter Allen
October 29th 04, 12:41 PM
(Chris) wrote in message >...
> Ok, so I now this has been asked a thousand times here at some point
> or another, but it is really hard to get any clear message from the
> multitude of old posts.
> I am a fairly new competitive athlete (I'm 21 and have been competing
> a lot for about 2 years, first time since I was 15), and I have found
> that I am neither quick enough nor can I jump quite high enough to
> compete at the levels that I really dream of.

Basketball? Or something else?

> In the past couple
> years, I have done some lower body lifting and some plyos, but never
> stuck on a really regular program for more than 6 weeks or so (because
> I usually got discouraged by the yields I was getting for the amount
> of work I was putting in - like an inch gain in 5 weeks after working
> out over an hour a day for four days a week).

20 hours of work gets you an inch on your vertical - and you think
that's no progress??

You don't expect to walk into a weights room and magically everything
you want to improve does, you need to keep working at it.

> But I just can't let
> the dream die. I want to embark on a new training program, and I have
> about 14 weeks to prepare for my spring season. In that time, I would
> really like to gain 4-5 inches on my vertical

Probably won't happen. 2 or 3 inches is the best you're likely to get
in that time, given your previous results. BUT, if you keep doing the
work through your season, then your vertical will keep improving, and
you'll get to what you want.

> and improve my speed
> (ESPECIALLY my acceleration- I am tall and thus I am not nearly as
> quick as I need to be).

Same thing, almost.

> My question is as follows (please only respond if you really are
> well-informed in these manners, because I have gotten a lot of
> unreliable advice):
> - Is it really possible for someone who is coordinated and in pretty
> good shape to dramatically increase their explosive athletic ability,

Yes. But don't expect instant results.

> or is that just for people who suddenly lose weight or gain correct
> running and jumping form? ie. am I doomed by slow twitch muscles?

Some people just aren't born to jump really high. But you haven't
really done enough training to know what sort of potential you've got.

> Are there some people who just will not benefit from plyos and weights
> and the like?

No. Some people will get more out of it than others, but everyone will
be able to improve.

> -if yes, I am willing to work pretty hard for 3-4 months (say, 1.5
> hours per day for four days a week for 12-14 weeks).

Is your coach likely to ban you from weights in season or something?

> What kinds of
> excercises would be the best use of this time?

Most of the old posts give about the same idea of what to do: work on
basic strength a bit, and on explosive power a lot, use compound
movements that are reasonably similar to the jumping movement. Keith
Hobman's posts are good to read, for a start.

I don't think you can spend as much as 90 minutes a day working on
explosive power from the legs, though, or at least not in one session
- you'll be pretty knackered after an hour at most. Unless you spend a
lot of time sitting around. (and you're not going to get that option
between jumps in a game, so why train that way?)

Peter

Kevin J. Coolidge
October 29th 04, 02:14 PM
"Chris" > wrote in message
om...
> Ok, so I now this has been asked a thousand times here at some point
> or another, but it is really hard to get any clear message from the
> multitude of old posts.
> I am a fairly new competitive athlete (I'm 21 and have been competing
> a lot for about 2 years, first time since I was 15), and I have found
> that I am neither quick enough nor can I jump quite high enough to
> compete at the levels that I really dream of. In the past couple
> years, I have done some lower body lifting and some plyos, but never
> stuck on a really regular program for more than 6 weeks or so (because
> I usually got discouraged by the yields I was getting for the amount
> of work I was putting in - like an inch gain in 5 weeks after working
> out over an hour a day for four days a week). But I just can't let
> the dream die. I want to embark on a new training program, and I have
> about 14 weeks to prepare for my spring season. In that time, I would
> really like to gain 4-5 inches on my vertical and improve my speed
> (ESPECIALLY my acceleration- I am tall and thus I am not nearly as
> quick as I need to be).
> My question is as follows (please only respond if you really are
> well-informed in these manners, because I have gotten a lot of
> unreliable advice):
> - Is it really possible for someone who is coordinated and in pretty
> good shape to dramatically increase their explosive athletic ability,
> or is that just for people who suddenly lose weight or gain correct
> running and jumping form? ie. am I doomed by slow twitch muscles?
> Are there some people who just will not benefit from plyos and weights
> and the like?
> -if yes, I am willing to work pretty hard for 3-4 months (say, 1.5
> hours per day for four days a week for 12-14 weeks). What kinds of
> excercises would be the best use of this time? I am in good shape,
> and I will do what it takes if I know that it will really yield
> valuable results!
>
> Thank you so much for any advice

Are you doing power cleans or snatches, and are your squats below parallell?
Also anything that works the post kinetic chain(your hams, glutes and lower
back working as a unit)such as good mornings, reverse hypers, SLD, glute/ham
bench

Denis
October 29th 04, 05:07 PM
(Chris) wrote in message
> years, I have done some lower body lifting and some plyos, but never
> stuck on a really regular program for more than 6 weeks or so (because
> I usually got discouraged by the yields I was getting for the amount
> of work I was putting in - like an inch gain in 5 weeks after working
> out over an hour a day for four days a week).

So 6 weeks x 4 days x 1h per day = total 24h get you discouraged?
You'll not get very far. Takes years. A top amateur athlete in many
endurance sports would put this much time in less than two weeks for
many many years.

I do wish you luck. At 21 you have tons of time to be very very good
at whatever sport you do.

Denis

Chris
October 29th 04, 08:45 PM
"Kevin J. Coolidge" > wrote in message >...
> "Chris" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Ok, so I now this has been asked a thousand times here at some point
> > or another, but it is really hard to get any clear message from the
> > multitude of old posts.
> > I am a fairly new competitive athlete (I'm 21 and have been competing
> > a lot for about 2 years, first time since I was 15), and I have found
> > that I am neither quick enough nor can I jump quite high enough to
> > compete at the levels that I really dream of. In the past couple
> > years, I have done some lower body lifting and some plyos, but never
> > stuck on a really regular program for more than 6 weeks or so (because
> > I usually got discouraged by the yields I was getting for the amount
> > of work I was putting in - like an inch gain in 5 weeks after working
> > out over an hour a day for four days a week). But I just can't let
> > the dream die. I want to embark on a new training program, and I have
> > about 14 weeks to prepare for my spring season. In that time, I would
> > really like to gain 4-5 inches on my vertical and improve my speed
> > (ESPECIALLY my acceleration- I am tall and thus I am not nearly as
> > quick as I need to be).
> > My question is as follows (please only respond if you really are
> > well-informed in these manners, because I have gotten a lot of
> > unreliable advice):
> > - Is it really possible for someone who is coordinated and in pretty
> > good shape to dramatically increase their explosive athletic ability,
> > or is that just for people who suddenly lose weight or gain correct
> > running and jumping form? ie. am I doomed by slow twitch muscles?
> > Are there some people who just will not benefit from plyos and weights
> > and the like?
> > -if yes, I am willing to work pretty hard for 3-4 months (say, 1.5
> > hours per day for four days a week for 12-14 weeks). What kinds of
> > excercises would be the best use of this time? I am in good shape,
> > and I will do what it takes if I know that it will really yield
> > valuable results!
> >
> > Thank you so much for any advice
>
> Are you doing power cleans or snatches, and are your squats below parallell?
> Also anything that works the post kinetic chain(your hams, glutes and lower
> back working as a unit)such as good mornings, reverse hypers, SLD, glute/ham
> bench

I have never done power cleans, and I am not familiar with snatches.
I am pretty certain that my squats are not below parallel. I will
give some of those other suggestions a try as well, thanks!

Chris
November 13th 04, 04:03 PM
Thanks to everyone for their previous advice. My new question is
this: I got a lot of advice and read a lot of articles that said you
should only work out these muscles every three days, and most of the
programs I looked at only recommended doing a few exercises on the
days you do work on gaining explosive jumping and running muscles. I
have tried to follow these instructions for the last couple weeks.
But I find on the day after my workout, that I am not very tired or
sore. Does this mean I need to do more on the workout, because I am
absolutely willing to?
Thanks