PDA

View Full Version : Sucks to be me.

Theresa
August 18th 03, 10:17 PM
Squats: 45x9, 135x9, 155x9
Bench: 45x9, 95x9
Deadlift: 135x9, 225x4

Sounds painless, doesn't it?

Keith, please stab yourself in the thighs with an ice pick until your arms
get too tired. Thanks.

Squat and bench triples Friday.

Anyone ever has a clever idea again about how to work out, don't tell me,
okay?

Today was high rep day. Tonight is Glenmoranjie night, right after (I can't
believe I'm going to do this to myself) a cold bath. Right now, ibuprofen.

Eventually you realize that trying to understand something that is
inherently irrational is a waste of time.
--Lyle McDonald, on women

Roger Zoul
August 19th 03, 12:20 AM
Keith Hobman wrote:
:: In article >, "Theresa"
:: > wrote:
::
::: Squats: 45x9, 135x9, 155x9
::: Bench: 45x9, 95x9
::: Deadlift: 135x9, 225x4
:::
::: Sounds painless, doesn't it?
:::
::: Keith, please stab yourself in the thighs with an ice pick until
::: your arms get too tired. Thanks.
:::
::: Squat and bench triples Friday.
:::
::: Anyone ever has a clever idea again about how to work out, don't
::: tell me, okay?
:::
::: Today was high rep day. Tonight is Glenmoranjie night, right after
::: (I can't believe I'm going to do this to myself) a cold bath.
::: Right now, ibuprofen.
:::
:::
:: Don't do them all at once.
::
:: Do one high rep, one moderate rep and one low rep exercise per
:: workout.
::
:: As in:
::
:: Monday
:: Squat 9RM
:: Bench 6RM
:: Deadlift 3RM
::
:: Wednesday
:: Squat 3RM
:: bench 9RM
:: Deadlift 6RM
::
:: Friday
:: Squat 6RM
:: bench 9RM
:: Deadlift 3RM
::
:: --
:: Keith Hobman
::
:: --- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

How does that advice jive up with an HST routine where you doing full body
low rep exercises, especially on the last two days of a microcycle?

Richard Smith
August 19th 03, 12:28 AM
"Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
> Keith Hobman wrote:
> :: In article >, "Theresa"
> :: > wrote:
> ::
> ::: Squats: 45x9, 135x9, 155x9
> ::: Bench: 45x9, 95x9
> ::: Deadlift: 135x9, 225x4
> :::
> ::: Sounds painless, doesn't it?
> :::
> ::: Keith, please stab yourself in the thighs with an ice pick until
> ::: your arms get too tired. Thanks.
> :::
> ::: Squat and bench triples Friday.
> :::
> ::: Anyone ever has a clever idea again about how to work out, don't
> ::: tell me, okay?
> :::
> ::: Today was high rep day. Tonight is Glenmoranjie night, right after
> ::: (I can't believe I'm going to do this to myself) a cold bath.
> ::: Right now, ibuprofen.
> :::
> :::
> :: Don't do them all at once.
> ::
> :: Do one high rep, one moderate rep and one low rep exercise per
> :: workout.
> ::
> :: As in:
> ::
> :: Monday
> :: Squat 9RM
> :: Bench 6RM
> :: Deadlift 3RM
> ::
> :: Wednesday
> :: Squat 3RM
> :: bench 9RM
> :: Deadlift 6RM
> ::
> :: Friday
> :: Squat 6RM
> :: bench 9RM
> :: Deadlift 3RM
> ::
> :: --
> :: Keith Hobman
> ::
> :: --- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.
>
> How does that advice jive up with an HST routine where you doing full body
> low rep exercises, especially on the last two days of a microcycle?

What part of her post had anything to do with HST?

Richard

Wayne S. Hill
August 19th 03, 01:47 AM
Roger Zoul wrote:

> Keith Hobman wrote:
>:::
>:: Don't do them all at once.
>::
>:: Do one high rep, one moderate rep and one low rep exercise
>:: per workout.
>
> How does that advice jive up with an HST routine where you
> doing full body low rep exercises, especially on the last
> two days of a microcycle?

HST is tolerable only because of its intermittency. At the
beginning of each rep level, the work should be pretty easy. By
the end, it's really tough. That's OK, though, because the next
workouts are easy again. And, after 6 weeks, you take some time
off.

By contrast, Keith's routines are an unrelenting hell that is just
barely tolerable by people of limited sanity.

HTH

--
-Wayne

Lee Michaels
August 19th 03, 01:51 AM
"Wayne S. Hill" wrote

> By contrast, Keith's routines are an unrelenting hell that is just
> barely tolerable by people of limited sanity.

Come on Wayne, tell us how you really feel. LOL

That is a sig worthy quote.

Richard Smith
August 19th 03, 02:08 AM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Wayne S. Hill" wrote
> >
> > By contrast, Keith's routines are an unrelenting hell that is just
> > barely tolerable by people of limited sanity.
> >

> Come on Wayne, tell us how you really feel. LOL
>
> That is a sig worthy quote.

Is the truth worthy of a sig?

RIchard, who listened to Keith...and bought a lot ice.

Robert Dorf
August 19th 03, 03:02 AM
On 19 Aug 2003 00:47:21 GMT, "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote:

>Roger Zoul wrote:
>
>> Keith Hobman wrote:
>>:::
>>:: Don't do them all at once.
>>::
>>:: Do one high rep, one moderate rep and one low rep exercise
>>:: per workout.
>>
>> How does that advice jive up with an HST routine where you
>> doing full body low rep exercises, especially on the last
>> two days of a microcycle?
>
>HST is tolerable only because of its intermittency. At the
>beginning of each rep level, the work should be pretty easy. By
>the end, it's really tough. That's OK, though, because the next
>workouts are easy again. And, after 6 weeks, you take some time
>off.
>
>By contrast, Keith's routines are an unrelenting hell that is just
>barely tolerable by people of limited sanity.
>
>HTH

Speaking as someone following an only slightly modified version of one
of Keith's routines, thanks.
;-)

Mistress Krista
August 19th 03, 03:14 AM
"Theresa" > wrote in message
> Squats: 45x9, 135x9, 155x9
> Bench: 45x9, 95x9
> Deadlift: 135x9, 225x4
>
> Sounds painless, doesn't it?
>
> Keith, please stab yourself in the thighs with an ice pick until your arms
> get too tired. Thanks.
>
> Squat and bench triples Friday.
>
> Anyone ever has a clever idea again about how to work out, don't tell me,
> okay?
>
> Today was high rep day. Tonight is Glenmoranjie night, right after (I
can't
> believe I'm going to do this to myself) a cold bath. Right now,
ibuprofen.

[channeling Will Brink]

Take up golf.

Krista

--
--------------------
www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

Dave H
August 19th 03, 04:17 AM
"Theresa" > wrote in message
> Mistress Krista wrote:
> > "Theresa" > wrote in message
> >> Squats: 45x9, 135x9, 155x9
> >> Bench: 45x9, 95x9
> >> Deadlift: 135x9, 225x4
> >>
> >> Sounds painless, doesn't it?
> >>
> >> Keith, please stab yourself in the thighs with an ice pick until
> >> your arms get too tired. Thanks.
> >>
> >> Squat and bench triples Friday.
> >>
> >> Anyone ever has a clever idea again about how to work out, don't
> >> tell me, okay?
> >>
> >> Today was high rep day. Tonight is Glenmoranjie night, right after
> >> (I can't believe I'm going to do this to myself) a cold bath. Right
> >> now, ibuprofen.
> >>

> > [channeling Will Brink]
> >
> > Take up golf.
> >

> > Krista
>
> Ooh, meow. ;-)
>
> What's funny is, I get massive street cred for doing 205 pound triples,
> which don't hurt a bit, whereas no one is impressed by the 155x9 that's
left
> me worthless, cranky, limping, sore, and unhappy.
>
> I've said it before, I'll say it again: I like triples.

I've never tried a triple. I would only try one in a m-f-f set up. No
m-m-f.
A man shouldn't see another man naked, unless its standing around talking
in the locker room.

What...? ;-)

dave h

Michael and Debbie Russell
August 19th 03, 10:08 AM
"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
> Roger Zoul wrote:
>
> > Keith Hobman wrote:
> >:::
> >:: Don't do them all at once.
> >::
> >:: Do one high rep, one moderate rep and one low rep exercise
> >:: per workout.
> >
> > How does that advice jive up with an HST routine where you
> > doing full body low rep exercises, especially on the last
> > two days of a microcycle?
>
> HST is tolerable only because of its intermittency. At the
> beginning of each rep level, the work should be pretty easy. By
> the end, it's really tough. That's OK, though, because the next
> workouts are easy again. And, after 6 weeks, you take some time
> off.
>
> By contrast, Keith's routines are an unrelenting hell that is just
> barely tolerable by people of limited sanity.

And I was just starting to enjoy my workout based on one of Keith's. Well
you can just ... ahhh ... I ...err ... they're all ... Limited sanity you
say ... yeah that fits.

Mick R.

The voices told me to do it.

> HTH
>
> --
> -Wayne

Mistress Krista
August 19th 03, 11:52 AM
"Theresa" > wrote in message
> Mistress Krista wrote:
> > [channeling Will Brink]
> >
> > Take up golf.
> >

> > Krista
>
> Ooh, meow. ;-)
>
> What's funny is, I get massive street cred for doing 205 pound triples,
> which don't hurt a bit, whereas no one is impressed by the 155x9 that's
left
> me worthless, cranky, limping, sore, and unhappy.

That's because some of us have been deranged enough to try the 20-rep squat
routine. :) I've also tried Bryce Lane's 20 minute workout, involving 20
minutes of squatting sets. First time I tried that I thought I had
seriously damaged myself.

Krista

--
--------------------
www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
www.trans-health.com

Mistress Krista
August 19th 03, 01:01 PM
"Kirk Roy" > wrote in message
> Mistress Krista *rem0vethis*> wrote:

> >> Ooh, meow. ;-)
> >>
> >> What's funny is, I get massive street cred for doing 205 pound triples,
> >> which don't hurt a bit, whereas no one is impressed by the 155x9 that's
> > left
> >> me worthless, cranky, limping, sore, and unhappy.
> >
> > That's because some of us have been deranged enough to try the 20-rep
squat
> > routine. :) I've also tried Bryce Lane's 20 minute workout, involving
20
> > minutes of squatting sets. First time I tried that I thought I had
> > seriously damaged myself.
>
> Then there's the similar thing where you follow the same notion as the 20
> minute workout but use two antagonistic exercises during that 20 minutes.
> I think that one's called 'escalating density training'...

I did both of those things together in a training program. Day 1, 20 min of
squats. Day 2, 20 min of alternating pullups and overhead presses (handy to
do with a power cage). Day 3, 20 min of cleans. Various small assistance
exercises. Ow ****ing ow. Not so bad once you get used to it though.

Krista

--
--------------------
www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
www.trans-health.com

Roger Zoul
August 19th 03, 01:43 PM
Richard Smith wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
:: ...
::: Keith Hobman wrote:
::::: In article >, "Theresa"
::::: > wrote:
:::::
:::::: Squats: 45x9, 135x9, 155x9
:::::: Bench: 45x9, 95x9
:::::: Deadlift: 135x9, 225x4
::::::
:::::: Sounds painless, doesn't it?
::::::
[...]
::::: --
::::: Keith Hobman
:::::
::::: --- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.
:::
::: How does that advice jive up with an HST routine where you doing
::: full body low rep exercises, especially on the last two days of a
::: microcycle?
:::
:::
::
:: What part of her post had anything to do with HST?
::
:: Richard

No part. However, my question has to do with HST.

Keith Hobman
August 19th 03, 02:54 PM
In article >, "Roger Zoul"
> wrote:

> Keith Hobman wrote:
> :: In article >, "Theresa"
> :: > wrote:
> ::
> ::: Squats: 45x9, 135x9, 155x9
> ::: Bench: 45x9, 95x9
> ::: Deadlift: 135x9, 225x4
> :::
> ::: Sounds painless, doesn't it?
> :::
> ::: Keith, please stab yourself in the thighs with an ice pick until
> ::: your arms get too tired. Thanks.
> :::
> ::: Squat and bench triples Friday.
> :::
> ::: Anyone ever has a clever idea again about how to work out, don't
> ::: tell me, okay?
> :::
> ::: Today was high rep day. Tonight is Glenmoranjie night, right after
> ::: (I can't believe I'm going to do this to myself) a cold bath.
> ::: Right now, ibuprofen.
> :::
> :::
> :: Don't do them all at once.
> ::
> :: Do one high rep, one moderate rep and one low rep exercise per
> :: workout.
> ::
> :: As in:
> ::
> :: Monday
> :: Squat 9RM
> :: Bench 6RM
> :: Deadlift 3RM
> ::
> :: Wednesday
> :: Squat 3RM
> :: bench 9RM
> :: Deadlift 6RM
> ::
> :: Friday
> :: Squat 6RM
> :: bench 9RM
> :: Deadlift 3RM
> ::
> :: --
> :: Keith Hobman
> ::
> :: --- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.
>
> How does that advice jive up with an HST routine where you doing full body
> low rep exercises, especially on the last two days of a microcycle?

It doesn't. I don't know about hypertrophy and I don't care about
hypertrophy. I think she is making a mistake not doing the speed work
Thibaudeau recommends.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

Keith Hobman
August 19th 03, 02:56 PM
In article >, "Wayne S. Hill"
> wrote:

> Roger Zoul wrote:
>
> > Keith Hobman wrote:
> >:::
> >:: Don't do them all at once.
> >::
> >:: Do one high rep, one moderate rep and one low rep exercise
> >:: per workout.
> >
> > How does that advice jive up with an HST routine where you
> > doing full body low rep exercises, especially on the last
> > two days of a microcycle?
>
> HST is tolerable only because of its intermittency. At the
> beginning of each rep level, the work should be pretty easy. By
> the end, it's really tough. That's OK, though, because the next
> workouts are easy again. And, after 6 weeks, you take some time
> off.
>
> By contrast, Keith's routines are an unrelenting hell that is just
> barely tolerable by people of limited sanity.

Damn.

First I'm a meanie and now I appeal to people of limited sanity. This week
is starting off different.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

Keith Hobman
August 19th 03, 02:59 PM
In article >, "Roger Zoul"
> wrote:

> Wayne S. Hill wrote:
> :: Roger Zoul wrote:
> ::
> ::: Keith Hobman wrote:
> ::::::
> ::::: Don't do them all at once.
> :::::
> ::::: Do one high rep, one moderate rep and one low rep exercise
> ::::: per workout.
> :::
> ::: How does that advice jive up with an HST routine where you
> ::: doing full body low rep exercises, especially on the last
> ::: two days of a microcycle?
> ::
> :: HST is tolerable only because of its intermittency. At the
> :: beginning of each rep level, the work should be pretty easy. By
> :: the end, it's really tough. That's OK, though, because the next
> :: workouts are easy again. And, after 6 weeks, you take some time
> :: off.
>
> Makes sense. My problem is on the easy days I have problems just doing two
> sets on the major movements.
>
> ::
> :: By contrast, Keith's routines are an unrelenting hell that is just
> :: barely tolerable by people of limited sanity.
> ::
>
> So where I can read more about Keith's routine? What are the general
> objectives -- strength, endurance, size, etc?

Strength.

And Google is your friend.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

Theresa
August 19th 03, 03:03 PM
Roger Zoul wrote:

>>> By contrast, Keith's routines are an unrelenting hell that is just
>>> barely tolerable by people of limited sanity.
>>>

> So where I can read more about Keith's routine? What are the general
> objectives -- strength, endurance, size, etc?

If he's talking about squatting 660 in November....

Keith Hobman
August 19th 03, 03:37 PM
In article >, "Roger Zoul"
> wrote:

> Keith Hobman wrote:
> :: In article >, "Roger
> :: Zoul" > wrote:
> ::
> ::: Wayne S. Hill wrote:
> ::::: Roger Zoul wrote:
> :::::
> :::::: Keith Hobman wrote:
> :::::::::
> :::::::: Don't do them all at once.
> ::::::::
> :::::::: Do one high rep, one moderate rep and one low rep exercise
> :::::::: per workout.
> ::::::
> :::::: How does that advice jive up with an HST routine where you
> :::::: doing full body low rep exercises, especially on the last
> :::::: two days of a microcycle?
> :::::
> ::::: HST is tolerable only because of its intermittency. At the
> ::::: beginning of each rep level, the work should be pretty easy. By
> ::::: the end, it's really tough. That's OK, though, because the next
> ::::: workouts are easy again. And, after 6 weeks, you take some time
> ::::: off.
> :::
> ::: Makes sense. My problem is on the easy days I have problems just
> ::: doing two sets on the major movements.
> :::
> :::::
> ::::: By contrast, Keith's routines are an unrelenting hell that is just
> ::::: barely tolerable by people of limited sanity.
> :::::
> :::
> ::: So where I can read more about Keith's routine? What are the
> ::: general objectives -- strength, endurance, size, etc?
> ::
> :: Strength.
> ::
> :: And Google is your friend.
>
> Well, If I just google your name, I'll get like a thousand or so hits,
> right? Would "Keith's Routines" work -- nope...but I found something about
> master lifters...

Roger - there is little on the web. You probably have to stay on this
site. The program I follow now is Christian Thibaudeau's Canadian
Auto-Regulating Non-Linear Periodization, so it won't be under my name but
it is on the web.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

Pierre Honeyman
August 19th 03, 04:07 PM
"Mistress Krista" *rem0vethis*> wrote in message ogers.com>...
> That's because some of us have been deranged enough to try the 20-rep squat
> routine. :) I've also tried Bryce Lane's 20 minute workout, involving 20
> minutes of squatting sets. First time I tried that I thought I had
> seriously damaged myself.

The first time I read his 20 minute workout advice, I thought to
myself "there is something seriously wrong with this man"....so far I
haven't had the courage to do this :)

Pierre

Wayne S. Hill
August 19th 03, 07:12 PM
Keith Hobman wrote:

> "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote:
>
>> By contrast, Keith's routines are an unrelenting hell that
>> is just barely tolerable by people of limited sanity.
>
> Damn.
>
> First I'm a meanie and now I appeal to people of limited
> sanity. This week is starting off different.

Yeah, well, there it is. You should take comfort in the fact
that, although your sanity is limited, it is not wholly absent.

--
-Wayne

Mistress Krista
August 19th 03, 09:02 PM
"Pierre Honeyman" > wrote in message
om...
> "Mistress Krista" *rem0vethis*> wrote in
message
ogers.com>...
> > That's because some of us have been deranged enough to try the 20-rep
squat
> > routine. :) I've also tried Bryce Lane's 20 minute workout, involving
20
> > minutes of squatting sets. First time I tried that I thought I had
> > seriously damaged myself.
>
> The first time I read his 20 minute workout advice, I thought to
> myself "there is something seriously wrong with this man"....so far I
> haven't had the courage to do this :)

I actually found it fun.* It was great for overall conditioning and
increasing work capacity. If I were into martial arts or something that
demanded those qualities I would do it for sure, although I would try to do
it when I wasn't training other things too much. It was also a bit of a
mental break---the 20 min becomes eons, but at least you are only doing sets
of no more than 5. You think, well, I can do a few more singles, how hard
can that be?

Krista

*For a given value of fun.

--
--------------------
www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
www.trans-health.com

PatrickFalcon31
August 20th 03, 02:25 PM
>Subject: Re: Sucks to be me.
>From: "Mistress Krista" *rem0vethis*
>Date: 8/19/03 3:02 PM Central Daylight Time
>

>"Pierre Honeyman" > wrote in message
om...
>> "Mistress Krista" *rem0vethis*> wrote in
>message
ogers.com>...
>> > That's because some of us have been deranged enough to try the 20-rep
>squat
>> > routine. :) I've also tried Bryce Lane's 20 minute workout, involving
>20
>> > minutes of squatting sets. First time I tried that I thought I had
>> > seriously damaged myself.
>>
>> The first time I read his 20 minute workout advice, I thought to
>> myself "there is something seriously wrong with this man"....so far I
>> haven't had the courage to do this :)
>

>I actually found it fun.* It was great for overall conditioning and
>increasing work capacity. If I were into martial arts or something that
>demanded those qualities I would do it for sure, although I would try to do
>it when I wasn't training other things too much. It was also a bit of a
>mental break---the 20 min becomes eons, but at least you are only doing sets
>of no more than 5. You think, well, I can do a few more singles, how hard
>can that be?
>

>Krista

I got better results with Bryce's 20-minute programs than any other program
I've tried. I still go back to them every once in a while.

Patrick Falcon

Roger Zoul
August 20th 03, 02:39 PM
Keith Hobman wrote:
:: In article >, "Roger
:: Zoul" > wrote:
::
::: Keith Hobman wrote:
::::: In article >, "Roger
::::: Zoul" > wrote:
:::::
:::::: Wayne S. Hill wrote:
:::::::: Roger Zoul wrote:
::::::::
::::::::: Keith Hobman wrote:
::::::::::::
::::::::::: Don't do them all at once.
:::::::::::
[...]

Cool....tx..

Kirk Roy
August 21st 03, 01:22 PM
BobMac > wrote:
> Kirk Roy wrote:
>> Then there's the similar thing where you follow the same notion as the 20
>> minute workout but use two antagonistic exercises during that 20 minutes.
>> I think that one's called 'escalating density training'...
>
> Is that because your estimate of how $&#**^% dense you must have been
> to try it escalates over the next four days?

From what I've heard of folks who've tried it the program works quite
well, with benefits to limit strength/strength-endurance/GPP. In other
words, your opinion of the program has very limited utility.

Kirk

Kirk Roy
August 21st 03, 01:22 PM
BobMac > wrote:
> Kirk Roy wrote:
>> Then there's the similar thing where you follow the same notion as the 20
>> minute workout but use two antagonistic exercises during that 20 minutes.
>> I think that one's called 'escalating density training'...
>
> Is that because your estimate of how $&#**^% dense you must have been
> to try it escalates over the next four days?

From what I've heard of folks who've tried it the program works quite