PDA

View Full Version : Which Power Rack?

Per Elmsäter
November 13th 04, 03:05 PM
In the quest I've begun to get my gym to invest in a Power Rack I realize
it'd be much easier if I could present them with a product instead of just
bitching. Since they already have the Hammer Strength series I figured I
might look at what they have and they did :)
I'd like to have some comments on these different machines and what you
suggest I should propose.

Here are some Heavy Duty Racks
http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/heavydutyracks
And here is a Squat Rack
http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/olympicsquatrack
And a Power Rack
http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/olympicpowerrack

For instance, what is the difference between a power rack and a squat rack?

The one that looks most appealing to me is the Heavy Duty 8 ft Rack
http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/olympichd8ftrack

Appreciate any and all comments. Which rack is liable to not get occupied by
biceps curlers for instance, not to mention wrist curlers?

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Art S
November 13th 04, 04:00 PM
"Per Elmsäter" > wrote in message ...
> In the quest I've begun to get my gym to invest in a Power Rack I realize
> it'd be much easier if I could present them with a product instead of just
> bitching. Since they already have the Hammer Strength series I figured I
> might look at what they have and they did :)
> I'd like to have some comments on these different machines and what you
> suggest I should propose.
>
> Here are some Heavy Duty Racks
> http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/heavydutyracks

I don't see capacity, so it may not be a good option for squats.

> And here is a Squat Rack
> http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/olympicsquatrack

I'd forget about this particular squat rack: the supports aren't adjustable,
so it is harder for people of different heights to use (and you can't adjust it for
different exercises).

> And a Power Rack
> http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/olympicpowerrack

The different bar supports look too far apart to me (look for the supports to
be around 2" apart).

> For instance, what is the difference between a power rack and a squat rack?
>
> The one that looks most appealing to me is the Heavy Duty 8 ft Rack
> http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/olympichd8ftrack

If it can handle the weight, this one looks good. Note that you can easily set
up for deadlifts by removing the supports.

> Appreciate any and all comments. Which rack is liable to not get occupied by
> biceps curlers for instance, not to mention wrist curlers?

If a support can be placed around waist level, it will be used by the curlers. That
is approximately the level you want it for protection when you are squatting. If a
support can be placed around shoulder level, it will be used by people doing
presses. Translation: any kind that you can use is just right for a curler.

Take a look at some of the power racks at http://www.bodysolid.com/BSStrength/FreeweightSys.html
for more options. There have been a lot of discussions here before:
google for them.

> --
> Perre
> I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Art

Per Elmsäter
November 13th 04, 04:24 PM
Art S wrote:
>> Here are some Heavy Duty Racks
>> http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/heavydutyracks
>
> I don't see capacity, so it may not be a good option for squats.

Thanks for your comments Art. I can't figure out what you mean by your
comment above though.

> Take a look at some of the power racks at
> http://www.bodysolid.com/BSStrength/FreeweightSys.html for more
> options. There have been a lot of discussions here before:
> google for them.

Looks nice and a good comparison.

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Steve Freides
November 13th 04, 05:20 PM
"Art S" > wrote in message

> "Per Elmsäter" > wrote in message
>> In the quest I've begun to get my gym to invest in a Power Rack I
>> realize
>> it'd be much easier if I could present them with a product instead of
>> just
>> bitching. Since they already have the Hammer Strength series I
>> figured I
>> might look at what they have and they did :)
>> I'd like to have some comments on these different machines and what
>> you
>> suggest I should propose.

-snip-

> If a support can be placed around waist level, it will be used by the
> curlers. That
> is approximately the level you want it for protection when you are
> squatting.

This made me curious so I checked out where I have the pins on my power
rack. I can stand over, as in straddle, the safeties on my power rack.
It's a tiny bit uncomfortable, like trying out bikes in the store and
standing over the model that's one size too big for you but you could
get away with if you had to. Straddle in my bare feet, even.
Waist-high supports would be pretty useless for a lot of squatters,
maybe even most, wouldn't they?

> If a
> support can be placed around shoulder level, it will be used by people
> doing
> presses. Translation: any kind that you can use is just right for a
> curler.
>
> Take a look at some of the power racks at
> http://www.bodysolid.com/BSStrength/FreeweightSys.html
> for more options. There have been a lot of discussions here before:
> google for them.

I agree with you there - your basic power rack is something every gym
ought to have - might as well get something simple and sturdy.

BTW, this happened to me at the Y - I made specific suggestions of
brands, models, web sites, etc., and they went out and got themselves a
power rack for the first time. They didn't get the ones I was
suggesting but they used those to show their usual supplier what they
wanted, and the one they got is very nice.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

>> --
>> Perre
>> I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.
>

> Art

Art S
November 13th 04, 06:17 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message ...
> "Art S" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Per Elmsäter" > wrote in message
> >> In the quest I've begun to get my gym to invest in a Power Rack I
> >> realize
> >> it'd be much easier if I could present them with a product instead of
> >> just
> >> bitching. Since they already have the Hammer Strength series I
> >> figured I
> >> might look at what they have and they did :)
> >> I'd like to have some comments on these different machines and what
> >> you
> >> suggest I should propose.
>
> -snip-
>
> > If a support can be placed around waist level, it will be used by the
> > curlers. That
> > is approximately the level you want it for protection when you are
> > squatting.
>
> This made me curious so I checked out where I have the pins on my power
> rack. I can stand over, as in straddle, the safeties on my power rack.
> It's a tiny bit uncomfortable, like trying out bikes in the store and
> standing over the model that's one size too big for you but you could
> get away with if you had to. Straddle in my bare feet, even.

Whoops - you're right. When I position the safeties, I hold my arm
straight down and then hold my hand straight and parallel to the ground.
Which is a lot lower than my waist.

> Waist-high supports would be pretty useless for a lot of squatters,
> maybe even most, wouldn't they?

"Most" squatters? Not the ones in my gym. Most of them raise the safeties and
then squat a good eight inches above that. The ones here and the ones that
compete? I'll agree with you there.

> > If a
> > support can be placed around shoulder level, it will be used by people
> > doing
> > presses. Translation: any kind that you can use is just right for a
> > curler.
> >
> > Take a look at some of the power racks at
> > http://www.bodysolid.com/BSStrength/FreeweightSys.html
> > for more options. There have been a lot of discussions here before:
> > google for them.
>
> I agree with you there - your basic power rack is something every gym
> ought to have - might as well get something simple and sturdy.
>
> BTW, this happened to me at the Y - I made specific suggestions of
> brands, models, web sites, etc., and they went out and got themselves a
> power rack for the first time. They didn't get the ones I was
> suggesting but they used those to show their usual supplier what they
> wanted, and the one they got is very nice.
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

Art

Art S
November 13th 04, 06:35 PM
"Per Elmsäter" > wrote in message ...
> Art S wrote:
> >> Here are some Heavy Duty Racks
> >> http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/heavydutyracks
> >
> > I don't see capacity, so it may not be a good option for squats.
> >

> Thanks for your comments Art. I can't figure out what you mean by your
> comment above though.

There are a couple factors: first the amount of weight it needs to be able to
support isn't the amount you can safely lift. It is the greatest of what any one
in the gym - including the morons who are attempting to get Darwin Awards -
will attempt. Second, the bar and weights probably won't start by resting on
the safeties. Someone probably managed to lift too much weight and then
tripped/stumbled/tossed it, so the weight will have some momentum when it
finally hits the safeties.

> > Take a look at some of the power racks at
> > http://www.bodysolid.com/BSStrength/FreeweightSys.html for more
> > options. There have been a lot of discussions here before:
> > google for them.
> >

> Looks nice and a good comparison.

Art

Per Elmsäter
November 13th 04, 06:58 PM
Art S wrote:

>>> I don't see capacity, so it may not be a good option for squats.
>>>

>> Thanks for your comments Art. I can't figure out what you mean by
>> your comment above though.
>>

> There are a couple factors: first the amount of weight it needs to
> be able to
> support isn't the amount you can safely lift. It is the greatest of
> what any one
> in the gym - including the morons who are attempting to get Darwin
> Awards -
> will attempt. Second, the bar and weights probably won't start by
> resting on
> the safeties. Someone probably managed to lift too much weight and
> then
> tripped/stumbled/tossed it, so the weight will have some momentum
> when it
> finally hits the safeties.

OK, I'm with you now. Yes that is the reason I'd feel better off inside a
cage than one of those half measure kind of things.