PDA

View Full Version : meet report (sort of)

Will
November 14th 04, 04:57 PM
I was at the USAPL Southern California Regional Championship yesterday.
Didn't lift, I was there to take the USAPL State Referee's test. I
passed. :) It gave me a whole new appreciation for how hard it is to
referee, judging depth for all kinds of body types with all kinds of
squat styles. Big guys and guys who get out of the hole really fast are
particularly hard. But the toughest part is staying alert and focused
for tens or hundreds of lifts in rapid succession.

Recommended for any competitive lifter. Partly to give back to the
sport, partly because like I feel like my own lifting will benefit from
having a better idea what the judges see and what signs tip a referee
off to watch for particular infractions (eg I could almost always
predict who was going to lift their butt during a bench just warching
them set up).

John Hanson
November 14th 04, 08:48 PM
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:57:59 -0800, Will >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>I was at the USAPL Southern California Regional Championship yesterday.
>Didn't lift, I was there to take the USAPL State Referee's test. I
>passed. :) It gave me a whole new appreciation for how hard it is to
>referee, judging depth for all kinds of body types with all kinds of
>squat styles. Big guys and guys who get out of the hole really fast are
>particularly hard. But the toughest part is staying alert and focused
>for tens or hundreds of lifts in rapid succession.
>
>Recommended for any competitive lifter. Partly to give back to the
>sport, partly because like I feel like my own lifting will benefit from
>having a better idea what the judges see and what signs tip a referee
>off to watch for particular infractions (eg I could almost always
>predict who was going to lift their butt during a bench just warching
>them set up).

I have yet to take either the written or practical tests but plan on
doing it next year. I did go to a seminar a few months ago that was
put on by Dennis Green (no, not the coach) and Shawn Cain.