PDA

View Full Version : Need assistance with my weight gain diet for lean mass

Home Mail
November 15th 04, 12:20 AM
I am trying to increase my protein intake in order to put on some lean mass.
My current weight is 86 kg. This is the diet I've come up with so far:

Breakfast
4 wheat biscuits and 250ml high protien milk
17gm protein

Lunch
240 grams of tuna with lettuce and tomatos
60gm protein

Dinner17
250 grams chicken breast
62gm protein

Supplemented with 3 serves of protein shakes
33gms (my protein shakes are the type with 11gm protein per 30gm serve)

Total protein = 172gms.

Is this enough protein for a lean muscle gain? I was hoping to reach 200gm.
Any suggestions on how I can get the extra 30gms?

David Cohen
November 15th 04, 12:29 AM
"Home Mail" > wrote
>I am trying to increase my protein intake in order to put on some lean
>mass. My current weight is 86 kg. This is the diet I've come up with so
>far:
>
> Breakfast
> 4 wheat biscuits and 250ml high protien milk
> 17gm protein
>
> Lunch
> 240 grams of tuna with lettuce and tomatos
> 60gm protein
>
> Dinner17
> 250 grams chicken breast
> 62gm protein
>
> Supplemented with 3 serves of protein shakes
> 33gms (my protein shakes are the type with 11gm protein per 30gm serve)
>
> Total protein = 172gms.
>
> Is this enough protein for a lean muscle gain? I was hoping to reach
> 200gm. Any suggestions on how I can get the extra 30gms?

Couple of tasty protein bars for snacks.

You DO realize you have to lift weights with all this, right?

David

Home Mail
November 15th 04, 01:14 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Couple of tasty protein bars for snacks.

Yes, I was thinking about this. Problem with them bars is they are loaded
with carbs as well. I'm trying to steer clear of excess carbs. My protein
drink already has too much of that stuff.

> You DO realize you have to lift weights with all this, right?

Oh yes, absolutely!

David Cohen
November 15th 04, 02:07 AM
"Home Mail" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote
>> Couple of tasty protein bars for snacks.
>
> Yes, I was thinking about this. Problem with them bars is they are loaded
> with carbs as well. I'm trying to steer clear of excess carbs. My protein
> drink already has too much of that stuff.

Moderate carbs, and lots of carbs after workouts, builds muscle better than
low/no carbs.

>> You DO realize you have to lift weights with all this, right?
>
> Oh yes, absolutely!

Well, then, all is good.

David

Home Mail
November 15th 04, 03:19 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Moderate carbs, and lots of carbs after workouts, builds muscle better
> than low/no carbs.

Yeah, but if not utilised then it gets converted to fat and stored around
your gut! That is what I am trying to lose as the moment.

> Well, then, all is good.

Sweet.

Helgi Briem
November 15th 04, 10:53 AM
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:20:08 +1300, "Home Mail" >
wrote:

>I am trying to increase my protein intake in order to put on some lean mass.
>My current weight is 86 kg. This is the diet I've come up with so far:
>
>Breakfast
>4 wheat biscuits and 250ml high protien milk
>17gm protein
>
>Lunch
>240 grams of tuna with lettuce and tomatos
>60gm protein
>
>Dinner17
>250 grams chicken breast
>62gm protein
>
>Supplemented with 3 serves of protein shakes
>33gms (my protein shakes are the type with 11gm protein per 30gm serve)
>
>Total protein = 172gms.
>
>Is this enough protein for a lean muscle gain?

It's more than enough protein. Not enough calories, though.
Unless you're eating a lot more stuff that you're not listing.
You're not even reaching maintenance level calories here.
Far from it.

> I was hoping to reach 200gm.
>Any suggestions on how I can get the extra 30gms?

Meatloaf? Steak? Boiled cod? Grilled sole?
Milk? Omelette? Roast pork? Saddle of lamb?
Use your imagination. It ain't rocket science.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Steve Freides
November 15th 04, 05:59 PM
"Home Mail" > wrote in message
> "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
>> Moderate carbs, and lots of carbs after workouts, builds muscle
>> better than low/no carbs.
>
> Yeah, but if not utilised then it gets converted to fat and stored
> around your gut! That is what I am trying to lose as the moment.

It's been observed here, more than once, that it's difficult to
impossible to both gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, people who
are new to lifting being the exceptions.

>> Well, then, all is good.

Perhaps not?

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> Sweet.

Home Mail
November 15th 04, 08:51 PM
"Helgi Briem" > wrote in message

> Meatloaf? Steak?

Saturated fat.

> Boiled cod? Grilled sole?

Already doing a lot of tuna

> Milk?

Doing 250mls a day.

> Omelette?

Don't like eggs unless they are fried!

> Roast pork? Saddle of lamb?

Mmm pork and lamb. I wish I could have this stuff. Problem is the saturated
fat!!!

> Use your imagination. It ain't rocket science.

Actually it is getting up there! Finding foods high in protein and low in
fat and carbs is not as easy as you might think.

Home Mail
November 15th 04, 11:12 PM
> Half a pint? Apart from anything else, over here the govt suggests 1 pint
> per day for calcium, and I don't really see why you shouldn't be drinking
> two or three pints a day, at least.

Oh man the problem is the amount of sugar and carbs that stuff has ... and
yes milk DOES have a lot of sugar. If I was to do a litre I'd be doing the
same amount of sugar as a can of soft drink.

> You're far too worried about it.

Why shouldn't I be? It's not good for health. Don't get me wrong man I love
the stuff.

> Screwing your metabolism by eating far too few calories is easier than you
> might think.

How am I screwing my metabolism?

> Are you trying to get most of your calorie intake as protein or something?

I am trying to burn fat but add lean muscle mass ... hence the protein.

> If you're really that concerned about the incredible number of calories
> from
> sat fat in beefsteak, you might bear in mind that (at worst, with a crap
> cut) 500g beefsteak = 50g fat = 450 calories. Or about half an hour of
> cardio work, which you should be able to fit in somewhere. If nothing
> else,
> do 100 bodyweight squats before you go to bed every evening.

It's not the calories dude as much as the saturated fats and cholesterol
blocking my arteries.

Peter Allen
November 15th 04, 11:21 PM
"Home Mail" > wrote in message
> "Helgi Briem" > wrote in message
>
> > Meatloaf? Steak?
>
> Saturated fat.

Decent steak, good hot grill or griddle, not very much fat, really. Unless
you insist on eating the fat round the outside of the steak instead of
trimming it after cooking.

> > Milk?
>
> Doing 250mls a day.

Half a pint? Apart from anything else, over here the govt suggests 1 pint
per day for calcium, and I don't really see why you shouldn't be drinking
two or three pints a day, at least.

> > Omelette?
>
> Don't like eggs unless they are fried!
>
> > Roast pork? Saddle of lamb?
>
> Mmm pork and lamb. I wish I could have this stuff. Problem is the
saturated
> fat!!!

You're far too worried about it.

> > Use your imagination. It ain't rocket science.
>
> Actually it is getting up there! Finding foods high in protein and low in
> fat and carbs is not as easy as you might think.

Screwing your metabolism by eating far too few calories is easier than you
might think.

Are you trying to get most of your calorie intake as protein or something?

If you're really that concerned about the incredible number of calories from
sat fat in beefsteak, you might bear in mind that (at worst, with a crap
cut) 500g beefsteak = 50g fat = 450 calories. Or about half an hour of
cardio work, which you should be able to fit in somewhere. If nothing else,
do 100 bodyweight squats before you go to bed every evening.

Peter

Helgi Briem
November 16th 04, 08:59 AM
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:12:00 +1300, "Home Mail" >
wrote:

>> Half a pint? Apart from anything else, over here the govt suggests 1 pint
>> per day for calcium, and I don't really see why you shouldn't be drinking
>> two or three pints a day, at least.
>
>Oh man the problem is the amount of sugar and carbs that stuff has ... and
>yes milk DOES have a lot of sugar. If I was to do a litre I'd be doing the
>same amount of sugar as a can of soft drink.

Well, a litre of milk has the same amount of sugar that 1/3rd of
a litre of soft drink has. So ****ing what?

>> You're far too worried about it.
>
>Why shouldn't I be? It's not good for health. Don't get me wrong man I love
>the stuff.

Yes, milk is good for your health unless you have lactose intolerance.

>> Screwing your metabolism by eating far too few calories is easier than you
>> might think.
>
>How am I screwing my metabolism?

By undereating and pushing your body into starvation mode.
>> Are you trying to get most of your calorie intake as protein or something?
>
>I am trying to burn fat but add lean muscle mass ...

Impossible. Can't be done. No way, no how. Forget it.

>hence the protein.
>
>> If you're really that concerned about the incredible number of calories
>> from
>> sat fat in beefsteak, you might bear in mind that (at worst, with a crap
>> cut) 500g beefsteak = 50g fat = 450 calories. Or about half an hour of
>> cardio work, which you should be able to fit in somewhere. If nothing
>> else,
>> do 100 bodyweight squats before you go to bed every evening.
>
>It's not the calories dude as much as the saturated fats and cholesterol
>blocking my arteries.

You'll burn it off. It really is not worth worrying about.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Peter Allen
November 16th 04, 12:01 PM
"Home Mail" > wrote in message
> > Half a pint? Apart from anything else, over here the govt suggests 1
pint
> > per day for calcium, and I don't really see why you shouldn't be
drinking
> > two or three pints a day, at least.
>
> Oh man the problem is the amount of sugar and carbs that stuff has ... and
> yes milk DOES have a lot of sugar. If I was to do a litre I'd be doing the
> same amount of sugar as a can of soft drink.

What, a whole 100 calories worth of sugar? Not worth caring about, unless
you have lactose intolerance issues.

********. Who told you it was bad for health?

> > Screwing your metabolism by eating far too few calories is easier than
you
> > might think.
>
> How am I screwing my metabolism?

If you don't eat as many calories as you burn, your body will start to
assume you can't find enough food and will try to keep you alive for as long
as possible. It will do that by pushing your base metabolic rate down and
storing food as fat when possible. Now, if you only have a small calorie
deficit, then that won't happen much, and you'll be able to lose fat fine.
If you have a huge calorie deficit, then your metabolism will head for the
floor, your physical ability (going fast on a bike, whatever) will follow,
and you'll certainly find it impossible to put on any muscle. Then to get
out of that you have to go back to more normal amounts of food, and your
body promptly puts most of it on your waist for a few weeks.

> > Are you trying to get most of your calorie intake as protein or
something?

> I am trying to burn fat but add lean muscle mass ... hence the protein.

Won't really work, much. Unless you're only just starting, you'll probably
find you only do one of those two at a time.

> > If you're really that concerned about the incredible number of calories
> > from
> > sat fat in beefsteak, you might bear in mind that (at worst, with a crap
> > cut) 500g beefsteak = 50g fat = 450 calories. Or about half an hour of
> > cardio work, which you should be able to fit in somewhere. If nothing
> > else,
> > do 100 bodyweight squats before you go to bed every evening.
>
> It's not the calories dude as much as the saturated fats and cholesterol
> blocking my arteries.

I think you've read too many popular health/diet things and put the ****s up
yourself. Calm down.

Alternatively, bear in mind that carbs are bad - Dr Atkins says so - and
everyone knows fats are bad, and too much protein can put a dangerous load
on your kidneys. So you don't want any of those. Then you have all sorts of
chemicals and pesticide **** in fruit and veg, so that's out. Water's
probably not really safe, either - chlorine gets put in it to kill bugs, and
it'll do the same to you if you drink it. So you maybe should try the
breatharian lifestyle, except these days you have to worry about all the
pollutants in the atmosphere.

Peter

Home Mail
November 16th 04, 08:20 PM
"Peter Allen" > wrote in message
> If you don't eat as many calories as you burn, your body will start to
> assume you can't find enough food and will try to keep you alive for as
> long
> as possible. It will do that by pushing your base metabolic rate down and
> storing food as fat when possible. Now, if you only have a small calorie
> deficit, then that won't happen much, and you'll be able to lose fat fine.
> If you have a huge calorie deficit, then your metabolism will head for the
> floor, your physical ability (going fast on a bike, whatever) will follow,
> and you'll certainly find it impossible to put on any muscle. Then to get
> out of that you have to go back to more normal amounts of food, and your
> body promptly puts most of it on your waist for a few weeks.

You seem to be well versed on this material. You've seen my diet. How should
I supplement it so that I can increase my calorie intake without
compromising my lean muscle gain plan.

> I think you've read too many popular health/diet things and put the ****s
> up
> yourself. Calm down.

I am more than happy to be wrong dude! If I can put on lean muscle mass by
eating pounds and pounds of red meat I'd be delighted!

> Alternatively, bear in mind that carbs are bad - Dr Atkins says so - and
> everyone knows fats are bad, and too much protein can put a dangerous load
> on your kidneys. So you don't want any of those. Then you have all sorts
> of
> chemicals and pesticide **** in fruit and veg, so that's out. Water's
> probably not really safe, either - chlorine gets put in it to kill bugs,
> and
> it'll do the same to you if you drink it. So you maybe should try the
> breatharian lifestyle, except these days you have to worry about all the
> pollutants in the atmosphere.

ROFLMAO! I see your point. I think I will stick to the core diet I've
mentioned but I will supplement with more milk and red meat.

Jeff Green
November 16th 04, 08:51 PM
Why not buy some Boneless Skinless chicken breasts? I got a pack of
Tyson's Boneless Skinless breasts $12 for 15 breasts and they have
41grams of protein, 1 gram fat and 0 carbs. I just cook them up in
batches and eat them throughout the week.

I just wanted to butt in with my opinion on the carbs/fat in your
diet. Without the proper carbs/fat your body will use protein or your
own muscle mass for energy during your workouts. I would be more
worried about that then a few extra carbs/fat grams each day. I think
it's easier to have too many carbs/fat grams and lower them if you see
yourself gaining undesired fat. Muscles burn far more calories during
rest and I think in the long run you'll get the lean muscle look your
going for by providing your body with more than enough
protein/carbs/fat

> [...]
> > > else,
> > > do 100 bodyweight squats before you go to bed every evening.
> >
> > It's not the calories dude as much as the saturated fats and cholesterol
> > blocking my arteries.
>
> I think you've read too many popular health/diet things and put the ****s up
> yourself. Calm down.
>
> Alternatively, bear in mind that carbs are bad - Dr Atkins says so - and
> everyone knows fats are bad, and too much protein can put a dangerous load
> on your kidneys. So you don't want any of those. Then you have all sorts of
> chemicals and pesticide **** in fruit and veg, so that's out. Water's
> probably not really safe, either - chlorine gets put in it to kill bugs, and
> it'll do the same to you if you drink it. So you maybe should try the
> breatharian lifestyle, except these days you have to worry about all the

Peter Allen
November 16th 04, 10:26 PM
"Home Mail" > wrote in message
> "Peter Allen" > wrote in message
> > If you don't eat as many calories as you burn, your body will start to
> > assume you can't find enough food and will try to keep you alive for as
> > long
> > as possible. It will do that by pushing your base metabolic rate down
and
> > storing food as fat when possible. Now, if you only have a small calorie
> > deficit, then that won't happen much, and you'll be able to lose fat
fine.
> > If you have a huge calorie deficit, then your metabolism will head for
the
> > floor, your physical ability (going fast on a bike, whatever) will
follow,
> > and you'll certainly find it impossible to put on any muscle. Then to
get
> > out of that you have to go back to more normal amounts of food, and your
> > body promptly puts most of it on your waist for a few weeks.
>
> You seem to be well versed on this material. You've seen my diet. How
should
> I supplement it so that I can increase my calorie intake without
> compromising my lean muscle gain plan.

I'm more repeating what genuinely qualified people here have said...

Try counting how many calories are in what you normally eat; you should be
able to find numbers for that either on the food packets or on sites like
www.fitday.com . If you're getting some snacks in off schedule occasionally,
remember to put those in too, no point lying to yourself. Now, you probably
know roughly how fast you're losing weight; add 500 for each pound you lose
per week. That's roughly your daily maintenance calories. Then you want to
be eating about 500 calories less than that per day, so you will be losing a
pound of fat per week. You do want to be getting enough protein and doing
weights or you'll find you lose more muscle with the fat than you should.
When you decide you want to gain muscle more than you want to lose fat, go
back up to maintenance calories plus 200 or so, keep eating same sort of
amount of protein, keep doing weights, and you'll put on muscle (and a bit
of fat, but you can lose that again). You probably won't take too long to
get to the point where you have enough muscle to do what you want, and then
you can just maintain what you have; you can get a lot stronger and fitter
without needing to put on stupid amounts of muscle. If you prefer to try to
bulk up bodybuilder style, come back when you get to the put on muscle bit
and ask the bodybuilder types here what to do.

As far as supplementing what you're eating to get to the right calorie
numbers, well, first you can make sure you're eating enough fruit and veg.
Don't go overboard and eat a whole cauliflower or something, but you need a
bit more than lettuce and tomatoes with one meal. Then put in some stuff
like beefsteak, pork, lamb that you like and see where that gets you to.
Then really whatever you want to top up if you still need to get more
calories; I'd go for mainly pasta, whole-grain bread and similar, but I
actually really like that sort of thing.

If you tend to feel you're running out of energy doing your workouts, then
shift things a bit so you get extra carbs before you do your workouts (I'd
shift it off the evening meal, but it probably doesn't make much
difference).

(you might want to keep on calorie counting for a month or so and watching
your weight over that time to get a better idea of what your body does. If
you put on a few pounds in a couple of days right after you start eating
more carbs, ignore it as it'll just be water, not fat)

Peter

Rob
November 18th 04, 01:54 PM
(Jeff Green) wrote in message >...
> [...]
> >
> > Won't really work, much. Unless you're only just starting, you'll probably
> > find you only do one of those two at a time.

> > > It's not the calories dude as much as the saturated fats and cholesterol
> > > blocking my arteries.
> >
> > I think you've read too many popular health/diet things and put the ****s up
> > yourself. Calm down.
> >
> > Alternatively, bear in mind that carbs are bad - Dr Atkins says so - and
> > everyone knows fats are bad, and too much protein can put a dangerous load
> > on your kidneys. So you don't want any of those. Then you have all sorts of
> > chemicals and pesticide **** in fruit and veg, so that's out. Water's
> > probably not really safe, either - chlorine gets put in it to kill bugs, and
> > it'll do the same to you if you drink it. So you maybe should try the
> > breatharian lifestyle, except these days you have to worry about all the

All I can say to you bro is eat huge high carbs high protein etc and
aim to eat 7 or so meals a day, small meals but all together they will
add up to alot and build you up. Try supplementing creatine, whey
protein etc have a look at www.rbray.co.uk if you need supplements
they tend to be the cheapest and have the best protein.

Sweet Guy
November 21st 04, 05:55 AM
"Home Mail" > wrote in message
> "Helgi Briem" > wrote in message
>
> > Meatloaf? Steak?
>
> Saturated fat.
>
> > Boiled cod? Grilled sole?
>
> Already doing a lot of tuna
>
> > Milk?
>
> Doing 250mls a day.
>
> > Omelette?
>
> Don't like eggs unless they are fried!
>
> > Roast pork? Saddle of lamb?
>
> Mmm pork and lamb. I wish I could have this stuff. Problem is the
saturated
> fat!!!
>
> > Use your imagination. It ain't rocket science.
>
> Actually it is getting up there! Finding foods high in protein and low in
> fat and carbs is not as easy as you might think.

legumes?