PDA

View Full Version : Equipment maintenance tip

Randy Shrader
November 15th 04, 08:02 PM
A free dog leash from the vet's office makes a good replacement for the belt
in my cheapass recumbent bike. Adapting the hardware to attach it to the
tensioner is much easier than trying to actually find a replacement belt
from Walmart . . .

Randy

Lee Michaels
November 15th 04, 08:15 PM
"Randy Shrader" wrote

> A free dog leash from the vet's office makes a good replacement for the
belt
> in my cheapass recumbent bike. Adapting the hardware to attach it to the
> tensioner is much easier than trying to actually find a replacement belt
> from Walmart . . .

Lots of woodworkers and metal workers replace ALL of their belts on their
equipment with link belts. You buy it in long lengths and configure belts
with the proper number of links. The primary advantage is that the link
belts are much quieter. It also means that you always have extra belts
handy in case of breakage or wear. You need a belt, you just make one up.

An example is

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G8127

Lee Michaels
November 15th 04, 08:23 PM
"Lee Michaels" wrote

> "Randy Shrader" wrote
>
> > A free dog leash from the vet's office makes a good replacement for the
> belt
> > in my cheapass recumbent bike. Adapting the hardware to attach it to
the
> > tensioner is much easier than trying to actually find a replacement belt
> > from Walmart . . .
> >

> Lots of woodworkers and metal workers replace ALL of their belts on their
> equipment with link belts. You buy it in long lengths and configure belts
> with the proper number of links. The primary advantage is that the link
> belts are much quieter. It also means that you always have extra belts
> handy in case of breakage or wear. You need a belt, you just make one up.
>
> An example is
>
> http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G8127

I should have noted.

The reason why the link belts are so much quieter is that they are extremely
flexible. Thereby greatly reducing vibration of both motors and machinery.
In many ways, it acts as a flexible interface between motor and machinery.

These link belts are available in all different kinds of shapes and lengths.
Big companies buy (and use) this stuff by the large spool. There are
different quality levels as well.

Randy Shrader
November 15th 04, 08:29 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message

> "Lee Michaels" wrote
>>
>> "Randy Shrader" wrote
>>
>> > A free dog leash from the vet's office makes a good replacement for the
>> belt
>> > in my cheapass recumbent bike. Adapting the hardware to attach it to
> the
>> > tensioner is much easier than trying to actually find a replacement
>> > belt
>> > from Walmart . . .
>> >

>> Lots of woodworkers and metal workers replace ALL of their belts on their
>> equipment with link belts. You buy it in long lengths and configure
>> belts
>> with the proper number of links. The primary advantage is that the link
>> belts are much quieter. It also means that you always have extra belts
>> handy in case of breakage or wear. You need a belt, you just make one up.
>>
>> An example is
>>
>> http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G8127
>>

> I should have noted.
>
> The reason why the link belts are so much quieter is that they are
> extremely
> flexible. Thereby greatly reducing vibration of both motors and machinery.
> In many ways, it acts as a flexible interface between motor and machinery.
>
> These link belts are available in all different kinds of shapes and
> lengths.
> Big companies buy (and use) this stuff by the large spool. There are
> different quality levels as well.

Looks cool, but wouldn't work in this case as the belt is there to provide
friction and isn't supposed to turn with the flywheel.

Randy