PDA

View Full Version : Arched back during deadlift

brian doyle
November 15th 04, 08:58 PM
When doing a bent-legged deadlift (conventional stance) is it OK if I arch
my back or should the back be kept straight. I have read conflicting
information on the web. Some sources say that the back should be kept
straight and arching should be avoided, other sources say that arching is
OK. And some sources say that an arched back is actually preferable to a
straight back. Personally, I like to keep my back arched at the start of the
deadlift and throughout the movement. It feels more natural, I feel stronger
and I can really feel the spinal erectors working.

thanks for any advice.
brian

Lyle McDonald
November 15th 04, 09:13 PM
brian doyle wrote:
> When doing a bent-legged deadlift (conventional stance) is it OK if I arch
> my back or should the back be kept straight. I have read conflicting
> information on the web. Some sources say that the back should be kept
> straight and arching should be avoided, other sources say that arching is
> OK. And some sources say that an arched back is actually preferable to a
> straight back. Personally, I like to keep my back arched at the start of the
> deadlift and throughout the movement. It feels more natural, I feel stronger
> and I can really feel the spinal erectors working.

Strictly speaking, a 'flat' back has a slight arch in it.
That is, anatomically, the lumbar spine should be slightly arched when
the back is 'flat'.

Lyle

Lyle McDonald
November 15th 04, 10:08 PM
Bully wrote:
> Lyle McDonald wrote:
>
>>brian doyle wrote:
>>
>>>When doing a bent-legged deadlift (conventional stance) is it OK if
>>>I arch my back or should the back be kept straight. I have read
>>>conflicting information on the web. Some sources say that the back
>>>should be kept straight and arching should be avoided, other sources
>>>say that arching is OK. And some sources say that an arched back is
>>>actually preferable to a straight back. Personally, I like to keep
>>>my back arched at the start of the deadlift and throughout the
>>>movement. It feels more natural, I feel stronger and I can really
>>>feel the spinal erectors working.
>>
>>Strictly speaking, a 'flat' back has a slight arch in it.
>>That is, anatomically, the lumbar spine should be slightly arched when
>>the back is 'flat'.
>>
>>Lyle
>

> What about those people you see hyperextending at the top of the lift? Is
> that a BAD THING ?

I'm no fan of it as both hyperextension and flexion tend to put
assymetrical forces onto the disk (from a disk standpoint, the spine is
supposed to stay in its normal/neutral position).

But extension + compression is not nearly the problem as flexion +
compression as anterior disk herniations are relatively rare and hard to
cause. I still don't see any point in leaning back into hyperextension
at the top of the lift.

Lyle