PDA

View Full Version : Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Fitness Machines, Second Time This Year


Mr. White
November 16th 04, 12:29 PM
Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Machines

Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Fitness Machines, Second Time This Year

The Associated Press

Nov. 16, 2004 - The makers of the popular Bowflex fitness machine are
recalling nearly 800,000 units after dozens of people reported
injuries from mechanical problems, the government announced Tuesday.

This marks the second large recall of Bowflex equipment this year. In
January, the machine's manufacturer issued a voluntary recall of about
420,000 units after reports of similar mechanical problems.

The latest recall affects 680,000 Bowflex Power Pro systems and
102,000 Bowflex Ultimate Fitness Machines, manufactured by The
Nautilus Group, of Vancouver, Wash.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the machine's seat can
unexpectedly break on the Ultimate model and Power Pro with "Lat
Tower." There were 46 reports of such incidents and two of those were
serious injuries requiring stitches to the head.

Another failure involves the machine's backboard bench unexpectedly
collapsing when it is in the incline position on Power Pro models
without the "Lat Tower." There were 42 reports of this failure and
subsequent injuries to the back, neck and head, none of which were
serious.

The company issued its recall in January after reports of more than 70
injuries due to the backboard bench failure and problems with the "Lat
Tower." That piece used to strengthen the upper body can weaken over
time and collapse, injuring the user's back, head and shoulder.

The recalled machines were sold at fitness stores and through
informercials and direct mail around the nation between 1995 and April
of this year. The systems cost between $1,200 and $1,600, depending on
the model.

Consumers are advised to stop using the backboard bench in the incline
position and contact the company to receive a free repair kit.
Customers who participated in the recall in January and owners of the
Ultimate systems will automatically receive a kit, the company said.
Where owners names are known for all models, the company will contact
them as well.

Consumers can call Bowflex at 1-800-820-8604 to receive the repair
kit.

Lee Michaels
November 16th 04, 01:30 PM
"Mr. White" > wrote in message
...
> Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Machines
>
> Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Fitness Machines, Second Time This Year
>

Not only is blowflex incredibly overpriced, but it is contructed in a flimsy
fashion.

Who woulda thunk??

ff123
November 16th 04, 03:51 PM
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 06:29:12 -0600, Mr. White >
wrote:

>Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Machines
>
>Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Fitness Machines, Second Time This Year
>
>The Associated Press
>
>Nov. 16, 2004 - The makers of the popular Bowflex fitness machine are
>recalling nearly 800,000 units after dozens of people reported
>injuries from mechanical problems, the government announced Tuesday.
>
>This marks the second large recall of Bowflex equipment this year. In
>January, the machine's manufacturer issued a voluntary recall of about
>420,000 units after reports of similar mechanical problems.

Amazing how many machines they are able to sell.

ff123

Kevin J. Coolidge
November 16th 04, 05:23 PM
"Mr. White" > wrote in message
...
> Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Machines
>
> Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Fitness Machines, Second Time This Year
>
> The Associated Press
>
> Nov. 16, 2004 - The makers of the popular Bowflex fitness machine are
> recalling nearly 800,000 units after dozens of people reported
> injuries from mechanical problems, the government announced Tuesday.
>
> This marks the second large recall of Bowflex equipment this year. In
> January, the machine's manufacturer issued a voluntary recall of about
> 420,000 units after reports of similar mechanical problems.
>
> The latest recall affects 680,000 Bowflex Power Pro systems and
> 102,000 Bowflex Ultimate Fitness Machines, manufactured by The
> Nautilus Group, of Vancouver, Wash.
>
> The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the machine's seat can
> unexpectedly break on the Ultimate model and Power Pro with "Lat
> Tower." There were 46 reports of such incidents and two of those were
> serious injuries requiring stitches to the head.
>
> Another failure involves the machine's backboard bench unexpectedly
> collapsing when it is in the incline position on Power Pro models
> without the "Lat Tower." There were 42 reports of this failure and
> subsequent injuries to the back, neck and head, none of which were
> serious.
>
> The company issued its recall in January after reports of more than 70
> injuries due to the backboard bench failure and problems with the "Lat
> Tower." That piece used to strengthen the upper body can weaken over
> time and collapse, injuring the user's back, head and shoulder.
>
> The recalled machines were sold at fitness stores and through
> informercials and direct mail around the nation between 1995 and April
> of this year. The systems cost between $1,200 and $1,600, depending on
> the model.
>
> Consumers are advised to stop using the backboard bench in the incline
> position and contact the company to receive a free repair kit.
> Customers who participated in the recall in January and owners of the
> Ultimate systems will automatically receive a kit, the company said.
> Where owners names are known for all models, the company will contact
> them as well.
>
> Consumers can call Bowflex at 1-800-820-8604 to receive the repair
> kit.
>
They should have recalled bowflex machines a long time ago, and stopped
selling them, but hey if people want to throw their money away. Actually,
why don't they just send it to me lol.

Jim Ranieri
November 16th 04, 05:39 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s01...
>
> "Mr. White" > wrote in message
> ...
> > Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Machines
> >
> > Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Fitness Machines, Second Time This Year
> >
>
> Not only is blowflex incredibly overpriced, but it is contructed in a
flimsy
> fashion.
>
> Who woulda thunk??
>

Ah ha..."we make a crappy product and pass the liability costs along to you"
(only my opinion, of course)

bc
November 16th 04, 11:33 PM
ff123 > wrote in message >...
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 06:29:12 -0600, Mr. White >
> wrote:
>
> >Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Machines
> >
> >Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Fitness Machines, Second Time This Year
> >
> >The Associated Press
> >
> >Nov. 16, 2004 - The makers of the popular Bowflex fitness machine are
> >recalling nearly 800,000 units after dozens of people reported
> >injuries from mechanical problems, the government announced Tuesday.
> >
> >This marks the second large recall of Bowflex equipment this year. In
> >January, the machine's manufacturer issued a voluntary recall of about
> >420,000 units after reports of similar mechanical problems.
>
> Amazing how many machines they are able to sell.
>
> ff123

Maybe they can be melted down into squat racks. Talk about Phoenix rising.

- bc

frank
November 17th 04, 07:55 PM
it shows concern for safety. i recently upgraded mine with free new
stabilizers. recall cost them about 3 million.

"bc" > wrote in message
om...
> ff123 > wrote in message
> >...
>> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 06:29:12 -0600, Mr. White >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Machines
>> >
>> >Bowflex Recalls Nearly 800,000 Fitness Machines, Second Time This Year
>> >
>> >The Associated Press
>> >
>> >Nov. 16, 2004 - The makers of the popular Bowflex fitness machine are
>> >recalling nearly 800,000 units after dozens of people reported
>> >injuries from mechanical problems, the government announced Tuesday.
>> >
>> >This marks the second large recall of Bowflex equipment this year. In
>> >January, the machine's manufacturer issued a voluntary recall of about
>> >420,000 units after reports of similar mechanical problems.
>>
>> Amazing how many machines they are able to sell.
>>
>> ff123
>
> Maybe they can be melted down into squat racks. Talk about Phoenix
> rising.
>
> - bc

bc
November 18th 04, 04:54 PM
"frank" > wrote in message >...
> it shows concern for safety. i recently upgraded mine with free new
> stabilizers. recall cost them about 3 million.


> >> Amazing how many machines they are able to sell.
> >>
> >> ff123
> >
> > Maybe they can be melted down into squat racks. Talk about Phoenix
> > rising.
> >
> > - bc

And savings of avoided lawsuits? 3 Million is nothing.

- bc

Lee Michaels
November 18th 04, 05:00 PM
"bc" > wrote in message
m...
> "frank" > wrote in message
>...
> > it shows concern for safety. i recently upgraded mine with free new
> > stabilizers. recall cost them about 3 million.
>
>
> > >> Amazing how many machines they are able to sell.
> > >>
> > >> ff123
> > >
> > > Maybe they can be melted down into squat racks. Talk about Phoenix
> > > rising.
> > >
> > > - bc
>
> And savings of avoided lawsuits? 3 Million is nothing.
>
Two comments;

Since Nautilus now owns blowflex, it has had its stock depressed by about 7
% by this recall. Corporate headquarters is not happy by this hit.

Secondly, I can think of a perfect legal argument.

That the blowflex is not really exercise equipment. Just like professional
wrestling is not real athletic competition.

Therefore, anbody who was stupid enough to think that this was a serious,
SAFE peice of exercise equipment are the same folks who think that pro
wrestling is real. After all, blowflex is on the tube just like wrestlying,
right?

Keith Hobman
November 18th 04, 05:30 PM
In article <[email protected]_s52>, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:

> "bc" > wrote in message
> m...
> > "frank" > wrote in message
> >...
> > > it shows concern for safety. i recently upgraded mine with free new
> > > stabilizers. recall cost them about 3 million.
> >
> >
> > > >> Amazing how many machines they are able to sell.
> > > >>
> > > >> ff123
> > > >
> > > > Maybe they can be melted down into squat racks. Talk about Phoenix
> > > > rising.
> > > >
> > > > - bc
> >
> > And savings of avoided lawsuits? 3 Million is nothing.
> >
> Two comments;
>
> Since Nautilus now owns blowflex, it has had its stock depressed by about 7
> % by this recall. Corporate headquarters is not happy by this hit.
>
> Secondly, I can think of a perfect legal argument.
>
> That the blowflex is not really exercise equipment. Just like professional
> wrestling is not real athletic competition.
>
> Therefore, anbody who was stupid enough to think that this was a serious,
> SAFE peice of exercise equipment are the same folks who think that pro
> wrestling is real. After all, blowflex is on the tube just like wrestlying,
> right?

I wonder how many bars and plates York has recalled over the years? The
argument over which is safest seems to be made...

bc
November 19th 04, 05:32 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s52>...
> "bc" > wrote in message
> m...
> > "frank" > wrote in message
> >...
> > > it shows concern for safety. i recently upgraded mine with free new
> > > stabilizers. recall cost them about 3 million.
> >
> >
> > > >> Amazing how many machines they are able to sell.
> > > >>
> > > >> ff123
> > > >
> > > > Maybe they can be melted down into squat racks. Talk about Phoenix
> > > > rising.
> > > >
> > > > - bc
> >
> > And savings of avoided lawsuits? 3 Million is nothing.
> >
> Two comments;
>
> Since Nautilus now owns blowflex, it has had its stock depressed by about 7
> % by this recall. Corporate headquarters is not happy by this hit.

Wow. So now bowflex can have the patented nautilus shaped thingies
for the stretchy rod things to wrap around.

I actually have a very nice Nautilus folding bench - like it a lot.
No cables or pulleys were enslaved in its construction though. Just
lots of square stock and some clever pivot points for folding it up.

- bc