PDA

View Full Version : Stretching - daily or split?

DJ Kim
August 20th 03, 03:57 AM
It is a well-known fact that weight training produces just as good
results even if not done daily, because muscles need time to recover -
some publications say at least 48 hours.

How about stretching?
Do joints also need recovery time, which means stretching, too, should
be split?
Or are they just fine with daily provocation?

Steve Freides
August 20th 03, 05:14 AM
DJ Kim wrote:

> It is a well-known fact that weight training produces just as good
> results even if not done daily, because muscles need time to recover -
> some publications say at least 48 hours.

This is an oversimplification - many programs feature lifting every
day. It is just as "well-known" that skill in lifts is best achieved by
frequent lifting, daily or even several times per day.

> How about stretching?
> Do joints also need recovery time, which means stretching, too, should
> be split?
> Or are they just fine with daily provocation?

How you stretch matters to how often you stretch. While I lift in a
similar fashion almost every day, my stretching varies from day to day,
with two or three 'hard' days per week and the rest easy.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

DJ Kim
August 20th 03, 01:58 PM
I'm puzzled.

If skill in lifts is best achieved by frequent lifting, daily or even
several times per day, why almost all publications on weight lifting
that i've come acrossed say the benefits to be gained from weight
training more frequent than twice a week is only marginal?

Steve Freides > wrote in message >...
> DJ Kim wrote:
> >
> > It is a well-known fact that weight training produces just as good
> > results even if not done daily, because muscles need time to recover -
> > some publications say at least 48 hours.
>
> This is an oversimplification - many programs feature lifting every
> day. It is just as "well-known" that skill in lifts is best achieved by
> frequent lifting, daily or even several times per day.
>
> > How about stretching?
> > Do joints also need recovery time, which means stretching, too, should
> > be split?
> > Or are they just fine with daily provocation?
>
> How you stretch matters to how often you stretch. While I lift in a
> similar fashion almost every day, my stretching varies from day to day,
> with two or three 'hard' days per week and the rest easy.
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

Steve Freides
August 20th 03, 02:24 PM
DJ Kim wrote:

> I'm puzzled.
>
> If skill in lifts is best achieved by frequent lifting, daily or even
> several times per day, why almost all publications on weight lifting
> that i've come acrossed say the benefits to be gained from weight
> training more frequent than twice a week is only marginal?

There is more than one area in which to make progress as a lifter. The
most common assumption is that everyone wishes to gain muscle from their
lifting, which isn't true for me and others who wish to remain in their
current weight class. Lifting has a large skill component and I have
made huge progress in all my lifts over the last few years while not
gaining any appreciable muscle weight (I might have put on a pound or
two but not more than that). The most common approach to building
muscle is to lift a lot and then wait; the most common approach to build
skill is to lift often.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com