PDA

View Full Version : Questions/Comments on Sheiko and Westside

bleh
November 17th 04, 01:48 AM
I just finished my second round of the beginner Sheiko routine. I did
this 4 week routine and after the first round my squat went up 15
pounds to 315, my bench went up 15 pounds to 235 (I was having no luck
with other routines), but my deadlift actually went down (I missed my
410 personal record).
I have completed this routine a second time using the new 1rm's. I
tested my squat and I lifted 315 to meet my PR but attempted 325 and
failed. I ABSOLUTELY could have made atleast 320 if I hadn't wasted my
energy on the 315 lift. A "more than likely" five pound increase in 4
weeks. It's not a 15 pound increase like the first round, but
certainly not bad relatively speaking. I tested my bench press today
and it has gone up 10 pounds to 245. I'm really excited about this
because previously I had been using Westside and my bench WOULD NOT
INCREASE. That's a fifteen pound increase for my first round and ten
pounds for my second! My deadlift as I stated above, seemed to go
down. When I was doing Westside, my deadlift was the lift that I could
always count on to go up between 20 and 45 pounds every 8 weeks. I'll
be testing my deadlift tomorrow.I don't feel good about the Sheiko
deadlift workouts. I feel like the workouts stress my body way too
much and I am in pain when I do them. I have to take extremely long
rest periods between sets to wait for the aching in my hip flexors I
squat sumo) to subside. So now I am not sure what to do. If my
deadlift goes up, I'll keep doing Sheiko. If not, I might do a Sheiko
bench press routine but do a westside routine for my lower body. I'm
not sure though because the ME exercises I used for westside were 70%
good morning, 20% squats, 10% deadlifts as is recommended. This gave
me a strong low back but I felt that my hip flexors didn't get enough
work and my squat didn't go up very fast. Does anyone have any
comments/suggestions?

John Hanson
November 17th 04, 01:57 AM
On 16 Nov 2004 17:48:20 -0800, (bleh) wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>I just finished my second round of the beginner Sheiko routine. I did
>this 4 week routine and after the first round my squat went up 15
>pounds to 315, my bench went up 15 pounds to 235 (I was having no luck
>with other routines), but my deadlift actually went down (I missed my
>410 personal record).
>I have completed this routine a second time using the new 1rm's. I
>tested my squat and I lifted 315 to meet my PR but attempted 325 and
>failed. I ABSOLUTELY could have made atleast 320 if I hadn't wasted my
>energy on the 315 lift. A "more than likely" five pound increase in 4
>weeks. It's not a 15 pound increase like the first round, but
>certainly not bad relatively speaking. I tested my bench press today
>and it has gone up 10 pounds to 245. I'm really excited about this
>because previously I had been using Westside and my bench WOULD NOT
>INCREASE. That's a fifteen pound increase for my first round and ten
>pounds for my second! My deadlift as I stated above, seemed to go
>down. When I was doing Westside, my deadlift was the lift that I could
>always count on to go up between 20 and 45 pounds every 8 weeks. I'll
>be testing my deadlift tomorrow.I don't feel good about the Sheiko
>deadlift workouts. I feel like the workouts stress my body way too
>much and I am in pain when I do them. I have to take extremely long
>rest periods between sets to wait for the aching in my hip flexors I
>squat sumo) to subside. So now I am not sure what to do. If my
>deadlift goes up, I'll keep doing Sheiko. If not, I might do a Sheiko
>bench press routine but do a westside routine for my lower body. I'm
>not sure though because the ME exercises I used for westside were 70%
>good morning, 20% squats, 10% deadlifts as is recommended. This gave
>me a strong low back but I felt that my hip flexors didn't get enough
>work and my squat didn't go up very fast. Does anyone have any
>comments/suggestions?

I don't think the westsiders deadlift enough. Try deadlifting more
and doing fewer GMs.

Keith Hobman
November 17th 04, 03:28 AM
In article >,
(bleh) wrote:

> I just finished my second round of the beginner Sheiko routine. I did
> this 4 week routine and after the first round my squat went up 15
> pounds to 315, my bench went up 15 pounds to 235 (I was having no luck
> with other routines), but my deadlift actually went down (I missed my
> 410 personal record).
> I have completed this routine a second time using the new 1rm's. I
> tested my squat and I lifted 315 to meet my PR but attempted 325 and
> failed. I ABSOLUTELY could have made atleast 320 if I hadn't wasted my
> energy on the 315 lift. A "more than likely" five pound increase in 4
> weeks. It's not a 15 pound increase like the first round, but
> certainly not bad relatively speaking. I tested my bench press today
> and it has gone up 10 pounds to 245. I'm really excited about this
> because previously I had been using Westside and my bench WOULD NOT
> INCREASE. That's a fifteen pound increase for my first round and ten
> pounds for my second! My deadlift as I stated above, seemed to go
> down. When I was doing Westside, my deadlift was the lift that I could
> always count on to go up between 20 and 45 pounds every 8 weeks. I'll
> be testing my deadlift tomorrow.I don't feel good about the Sheiko
> deadlift workouts. I feel like the workouts stress my body way too
> much and I am in pain when I do them. I have to take extremely long
> rest periods between sets to wait for the aching in my hip flexors I
> squat sumo) to subside. So now I am not sure what to do. If my
> deadlift goes up, I'll keep doing Sheiko. If not, I might do a Sheiko
> bench press routine but do a westside routine for my lower body. I'm
> not sure though because the ME exercises I used for westside were 70%
> good morning, 20% squats, 10% deadlifts as is recommended. This gave
> me a strong low back but I felt that my hip flexors didn't get enough
> work and my squat didn't go up very fast. Does anyone have any
> comments/suggestions?

I think you may be getting too much work on the hips. Since Westside
seemed to help the deadlift I'd lower my work on the deadlift itself and
start doing heavy good morning workouts in place of the deadlift workout.
So maybe deadlift once per week or every third deadlift workout and do
good morning for the other workouts. That will keep your lower back strong
and you are still getting a pile of work from the squat for your sumo
style deadlift.

John Hanson
November 17th 04, 03:43 AM
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:28:08 -0600, (Keith Hobman)

(bleh) wrote:

>> I just finished my second round of the beginner Sheiko routine. I did
>> this 4 week routine and after the first round my squat went up 15
>> pounds to 315, my bench went up 15 pounds to 235 (I was having no luck
>> with other routines), but my deadlift actually went down (I missed my
>> 410 personal record).
>> I have completed this routine a second time using the new 1rm's. I
>> tested my squat and I lifted 315 to meet my PR but attempted 325 and
>> failed. I ABSOLUTELY could have made atleast 320 if I hadn't wasted my
>> energy on the 315 lift. A "more than likely" five pound increase in 4
>> weeks. It's not a 15 pound increase like the first round, but
>> certainly not bad relatively speaking. I tested my bench press today
>> and it has gone up 10 pounds to 245. I'm really excited about this
>> because previously I had been using Westside and my bench WOULD NOT
>> INCREASE. That's a fifteen pound increase for my first round and ten
>> pounds for my second! My deadlift as I stated above, seemed to go
>> down. When I was doing Westside, my deadlift was the lift that I could
>> always count on to go up between 20 and 45 pounds every 8 weeks. I'll
>> be testing my deadlift tomorrow.I don't feel good about the Sheiko
>> deadlift workouts. I feel like the workouts stress my body way too
>> much and I am in pain when I do them. I have to take extremely long
>> rest periods between sets to wait for the aching in my hip flexors I
>> squat sumo) to subside. So now I am not sure what to do. If my
>> deadlift goes up, I'll keep doing Sheiko. If not, I might do a Sheiko
>> bench press routine but do a westside routine for my lower body. I'm
>> not sure though because the ME exercises I used for westside were 70%
>> good morning, 20% squats, 10% deadlifts as is recommended. This gave
>> me a strong low back but I felt that my hip flexors didn't get enough
>> work and my squat didn't go up very fast. Does anyone have any
>> comments/suggestions?
>
>I think you may be getting too much work on the hips. Since Westside
>seemed to help the deadlift I'd lower my work on the deadlift itself and
>start doing heavy good morning workouts in place of the deadlift workout.
>So maybe deadlift once per week or every third deadlift workout and do
>good morning for the other workouts. That will keep your lower back strong
>and you are still getting a pile of work from the squat for your sumo
>style deadlift.

Really? 70% of his squat and deadlift ME work is already good
mornings.

Keith Hobman
November 17th 04, 03:50 AM
In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:28:08 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >In article >,
> (bleh) wrote:
> >
> >> I just finished my second round of the beginner Sheiko routine. I did
> >> this 4 week routine and after the first round my squat went up 15
> >> pounds to 315, my bench went up 15 pounds to 235 (I was having no luck
> >> with other routines), but my deadlift actually went down (I missed my
> >> 410 personal record).
> >> I have completed this routine a second time using the new 1rm's. I
> >> tested my squat and I lifted 315 to meet my PR but attempted 325 and
> >> failed. I ABSOLUTELY could have made atleast 320 if I hadn't wasted my
> >> energy on the 315 lift. A "more than likely" five pound increase in 4
> >> weeks. It's not a 15 pound increase like the first round, but
> >> certainly not bad relatively speaking. I tested my bench press today
> >> and it has gone up 10 pounds to 245. I'm really excited about this
> >> because previously I had been using Westside and my bench WOULD NOT
> >> INCREASE. That's a fifteen pound increase for my first round and ten
> >> pounds for my second! My deadlift as I stated above, seemed to go
> >> down. When I was doing Westside, my deadlift was the lift that I could
> >> always count on to go up between 20 and 45 pounds every 8 weeks. I'll
> >> be testing my deadlift tomorrow.I don't feel good about the Sheiko
> >> deadlift workouts. I feel like the workouts stress my body way too
> >> much and I am in pain when I do them. I have to take extremely long
> >> rest periods between sets to wait for the aching in my hip flexors I
> >> squat sumo) to subside. So now I am not sure what to do. If my
> >> deadlift goes up, I'll keep doing Sheiko. If not, I might do a Sheiko
> >> bench press routine but do a westside routine for my lower body. I'm
> >> not sure though because the ME exercises I used for westside were 70%
> >> good morning, 20% squats, 10% deadlifts as is recommended. This gave
> >> me a strong low back but I felt that my hip flexors didn't get enough
> >> work and my squat didn't go up very fast. Does anyone have any
> >> comments/suggestions?
> >
> >I think you may be getting too much work on the hips. Since Westside
> >seemed to help the deadlift I'd lower my work on the deadlift itself and
> >start doing heavy good morning workouts in place of the deadlift workout.
> >So maybe deadlift once per week or every third deadlift workout and do
> >good morning for the other workouts. That will keep your lower back strong
> >and you are still getting a pile of work from the squat for your sumo
> >style deadlift.
>
> Really? 70% of his squat and deadlift ME work is already good
> mornings.

Really? How so when he is doing Sheiko?

John Hanson
November 17th 04, 04:37 AM
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:50:18 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:28:08 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> >I think you may be getting too much work on the hips. Since Westside
>> >seemed to help the deadlift I'd lower my work on the deadlift itself and
>> >start doing heavy good morning workouts in place of the deadlift workout.
>> >So maybe deadlift once per week or every third deadlift workout and do
>> >good morning for the other workouts. That will keep your lower back strong
>> >and you are still getting a pile of work from the squat for your sumo
>> >style deadlift.
>>
>> Really? 70% of his squat and deadlift ME work is already good
>> mornings.
>
>Really? How so when he is doing Sheiko?

I didn't read carefully enough. I was thinking the westside routine
he did was his last one.

Will
November 17th 04, 04:45 AM
In article >,
(bleh) wrote:

> I just finished my second round of the beginner Sheiko routine. I did
> this 4 week routine and after the first round my squat went up 15
> pounds to 315, my bench went up 15 pounds to 235 (I was having no luck
> with other routines), but my deadlift actually went down (I missed my
> 410 personal record).
> I have completed this routine a second time using the new 1rm's. I
> tested my squat and I lifted 315 to meet my PR but attempted 325 and
> failed. I ABSOLUTELY could have made atleast 320 if I hadn't wasted my
> energy on the 315 lift. A "more than likely" five pound increase in 4
> weeks. It's not a 15 pound increase like the first round, but
> certainly not bad relatively speaking. I tested my bench press today
> and it has gone up 10 pounds to 245. I'm really excited about this
> because previously I had been using Westside and my bench WOULD NOT
> INCREASE. That's a fifteen pound increase for my first round and ten
> pounds for my second! My deadlift as I stated above, seemed to go
> down. When I was doing Westside, my deadlift was the lift that I could
> always count on to go up between 20 and 45 pounds every 8 weeks. I'll
> be testing my deadlift tomorrow.I don't feel good about the Sheiko
> deadlift workouts. I feel like the workouts stress my body way too
> much and I am in pain when I do them. I have to take extremely long
> rest periods between sets to wait for the aching in my hip flexors I
> squat sumo) to subside. So now I am not sure what to do. If my
> deadlift goes up, I'll keep doing Sheiko. If not, I might do a Sheiko
> bench press routine but do a westside routine for my lower body. I'm
> not sure though because the ME exercises I used for westside were 70%
> good morning, 20% squats, 10% deadlifts as is recommended. This gave
> me a strong low back but I felt that my hip flexors didn't get enough
> work and my squat didn't go up very fast. Does anyone have any
> comments/suggestions?

You never said how your squat progressed on Westside. If Westside was
working well for your squat, there's no reason you can't do Westside for
your Squat/DL and something else for your bench.

That's what I'm doing at the moment. Something Westside-like (actually
pretty much what's described here:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/training_with_angelo.htm
but with box squats replaced by pause squats) for my squat and deadlift
but something Metal-Militia like (but lower volume) for my bench. Seems
to be working.

Will
November 17th 04, 04:47 AM
In article >,
Will > wrote:

> In article >,
> (bleh) wrote:
>
> > I just finished my second round of the beginner Sheiko routine. I did
> > this 4 week routine and after the first round my squat went up 15
> > pounds to 315, my bench went up 15 pounds to 235 (I was having no luck
> > with other routines), but my deadlift actually went down (I missed my
> > 410 personal record).
> > I have completed this routine a second time using the new 1rm's. I
> > tested my squat and I lifted 315 to meet my PR but attempted 325 and
> > failed. I ABSOLUTELY could have made atleast 320 if I hadn't wasted my
> > energy on the 315 lift. A "more than likely" five pound increase in 4
> > weeks. It's not a 15 pound increase like the first round, but
> > certainly not bad relatively speaking. I tested my bench press today
> > and it has gone up 10 pounds to 245. I'm really excited about this
> > because previously I had been using Westside and my bench WOULD NOT
> > INCREASE. That's a fifteen pound increase for my first round and ten
> > pounds for my second! My deadlift as I stated above, seemed to go
> > down. When I was doing Westside, my deadlift was the lift that I could
> > always count on to go up between 20 and 45 pounds every 8 weeks. I'll
> > be testing my deadlift tomorrow.I don't feel good about the Sheiko
> > deadlift workouts. I feel like the workouts stress my body way too
> > much and I am in pain when I do them. I have to take extremely long
> > rest periods between sets to wait for the aching in my hip flexors I
> > squat sumo) to subside. So now I am not sure what to do. If my
> > deadlift goes up, I'll keep doing Sheiko. If not, I might do a Sheiko
> > bench press routine but do a westside routine for my lower body. I'm
> > not sure though because the ME exercises I used for westside were 70%
> > good morning, 20% squats, 10% deadlifts as is recommended. This gave
> > me a strong low back but I felt that my hip flexors didn't get enough
> > work and my squat didn't go up very fast. Does anyone have any
> > comments/suggestions?
>
> You never said how your squat progressed on Westside.

Oops, yes you did, sorry. Long day, brain dead. Not sure where you got
the 70/20/10% figure. Lately a lot of Westsiders seem to do equal
amounts of GM-type, squat-type, and pull-type ME exercises.

bleh
November 17th 04, 06:32 PM
Will > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> Will > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > (bleh) wrote:
> >
> > > I just finished my second round of the beginner Sheiko routine. I did
> > > this 4 week routine and after the first round my squat went up 15
> > > pounds to 315, my bench went up 15 pounds to 235 (I was having no luck
> > > with other routines), but my deadlift actually went down (I missed my
> > > 410 personal record).
> > > I have completed this routine a second time using the new 1rm's. I
> > > tested my squat and I lifted 315 to meet my PR but attempted 325 and
> > > failed. I ABSOLUTELY could have made atleast 320 if I hadn't wasted my
> > > energy on the 315 lift. A "more than likely" five pound increase in 4
> > > weeks. It's not a 15 pound increase like the first round, but
> > > certainly not bad relatively speaking. I tested my bench press today
> > > and it has gone up 10 pounds to 245. I'm really excited about this
> > > because previously I had been using Westside and my bench WOULD NOT
> > > INCREASE. That's a fifteen pound increase for my first round and ten
> > > pounds for my second! My deadlift as I stated above, seemed to go
> > > down. When I was doing Westside, my deadlift was the lift that I could
> > > always count on to go up between 20 and 45 pounds every 8 weeks. I'll
> > > be testing my deadlift tomorrow.I don't feel good about the Sheiko
> > > deadlift workouts. I feel like the workouts stress my body way too
> > > much and I am in pain when I do them. I have to take extremely long
> > > rest periods between sets to wait for the aching in my hip flexors I
> > > squat sumo) to subside. So now I am not sure what to do. If my
> > > deadlift goes up, I'll keep doing Sheiko. If not, I might do a Sheiko
> > > bench press routine but do a westside routine for my lower body. I'm
> > > not sure though because the ME exercises I used for westside were 70%
> > > good morning, 20% squats, 10% deadlifts as is recommended. This gave
> > > me a strong low back but I felt that my hip flexors didn't get enough
> > > work and my squat didn't go up very fast. Does anyone have any
> > > comments/suggestions?
> >
> > You never said how your squat progressed on Westside.
>
> Oops, yes you did, sorry. Long day, brain dead. Not sure where you got
> the 70/20/10% figure. Lately a lot of Westsiders seem to do equal
> amounts of GM-type, squat-type, and pull-type ME exercises.

Ehh, I've seen some articles that claim Louie teaches that good
mornings should be done 70% of the time on leg ME days. I've also seen
articles written by David Tate that actually say 40%. However, I would
definately think that the percentages should be higher for good
mornings than either squats or deadlift variations since from the
articles by Louie that I have read really stress the idea that
deadlifting for reps taxes the body too much. This is why I question
the effectivness of the deadlift parts of the sheiko workouts.

bleh
November 17th 04, 06:46 PM
(Keith Hobman) wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> (bleh) wrote:
>
> > I just finished my second round of the beginner Sheiko routine. I did
> > this 4 week routine and after the first round my squat went up 15
> > pounds to 315, my bench went up 15 pounds to 235 (I was having no luck
> > with other routines), but my deadlift actually went down (I missed my
> > 410 personal record).
> > I have completed this routine a second time using the new 1rm's. I
> > tested my squat and I lifted 315 to meet my PR but attempted 325 and
> > failed. I ABSOLUTELY could have made atleast 320 if I hadn't wasted my
> > energy on the 315 lift. A "more than likely" five pound increase in 4
> > weeks. It's not a 15 pound increase like the first round, but
> > certainly not bad relatively speaking. I tested my bench press today
> > and it has gone up 10 pounds to 245. I'm really excited about this
> > because previously I had been using Westside and my bench WOULD NOT
> > INCREASE. That's a fifteen pound increase for my first round and ten
> > pounds for my second! My deadlift as I stated above, seemed to go
> > down. When I was doing Westside, my deadlift was the lift that I could
> > always count on to go up between 20 and 45 pounds every 8 weeks. I'll
> > be testing my deadlift tomorrow.I don't feel good about the Sheiko
> > deadlift workouts. I feel like the workouts stress my body way too
> > much and I am in pain when I do them. I have to take extremely long
> > rest periods between sets to wait for the aching in my hip flexors I
> > squat sumo) to subside. So now I am not sure what to do. If my
> > deadlift goes up, I'll keep doing Sheiko. If not, I might do a Sheiko
> > bench press routine but do a westside routine for my lower body. I'm
> > not sure though because the ME exercises I used for westside were 70%
> > good morning, 20% squats, 10% deadlifts as is recommended. This gave
> > me a strong low back but I felt that my hip flexors didn't get enough
> > work and my squat didn't go up very fast. Does anyone have any
> > comments/suggestions?
>
> I think you may be getting too much work on the hips. Since Westside
> seemed to help the deadlift I'd lower my work on the deadlift itself and
> start doing heavy good morning workouts in place of the deadlift workout.
> So maybe deadlift once per week or every third deadlift workout and do
> good morning for the other workouts. That will keep your lower back strong
> and you are still getting a pile of work from the squat for your sumo
> style deadlift.

Heh, I think you might be right. Like I said, after the first round I
did with sheiko my deadlift jumped 15 pounds. During that first round
I also was basically incapable of doing alot of the deadlift sets
because I hurt so bad. I just didn't do them. I guess it kept me from
overtraining my hip flexors. This second round with sheiko I have done
all the deadlifting that was prescribed and I didn't see as much
progress on my squat. Perhaps I really did overtrain my hip flexors
this time around.
I've though about doing this before and I will than likely go to good
mornings as a substitute for deadlifting and just keep basically
everything with the sheiko workout the same. Other than this one
detail I am really liking its results. Thanks Keith for suggesting it
to me.
What percentage would I use to plan my workout with though. I don't
have a power rack and can only scrounge up a spotter on those
occasions when I need to test my 1rms. If I use my three rep max and
plug that into a 1rm calculator I suppose I can get a useable number.
However, if I use the Sheiko percentages for deadlifting, will I be
putting myself at risk?

Will
November 17th 04, 06:51 PM
In article >,
(bleh) wrote:

> Will > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Will > wrote:

> > > You never said how your squat progressed on Westside.
> >
> > Oops, yes you did, sorry. Long day, brain dead. Not sure where you got
> > the 70/20/10% figure. Lately a lot of Westsiders seem to do equal
> > amounts of GM-type, squat-type, and pull-type ME exercises.
>
> Ehh, I've seen some articles that claim Louie teaches that good
> mornings should be done 70% of the time on leg ME days. I've also seen
> articles written by David Tate that actually say 40%. However, I would
> definately think that the percentages should be higher for good
> mornings than either squats or deadlift variations since from the
> articles by Louie that I have read really stress the idea that
> deadlifting for reps taxes the body too much. This is why I question
> the effectivness of the deadlift parts of the sheiko workouts.

I've seen articles that claim Louie's said all kinds of things. And
deadlifting for reps =/= deadlifting (or rack pulling etc.) for a max
single.

The latest workout templates put out by EliteFTS recommend rotating
between a squat type movement, a GM type movement, and a pull type
movement as ME exercises.

Seems like you're going to keep posting until one of us tells you to do
what you wanted to do anyway, so you could speed things up by just
telling us what you want us to tell you to do.

Keith Hobman
November 17th 04, 07:38 PM
In article >,
(bleh) wrote:

> [...]
> all the deadlifting that was prescribed and I didn't see as much
> progress on my squat. Perhaps I really did overtrain my hip flexors
> this time around.
> I've though about doing this before and I will than likely go to good
> mornings as a substitute for deadlifting and just keep basically
> everything with the sheiko workout the same. Other than this one
> detail I am really liking its results. Thanks Keith for suggesting it
> to me.
> What percentage would I use to plan my workout with though. I don't
> have a power rack and can only scrounge up a spotter on those
> occasions when I need to test my 1rms. If I use my three rep max and
> plug that into a 1rm calculator I suppose I can get a useable number.
> However, if I use the Sheiko percentages for deadlifting, will I be

I would still use the Sheiko numbers for the deadlift and choose the
heaviest deadlift workout to follow (every third day).

For the GM I would base it off your 3RM and simply guestimate what a 1RM
is. I find on the GM as I go heavier I simply don't go as far down so I
really don't think it matters much. Just work it.

Keith Hobman
November 17th 04, 07:40 PM
In article >, Will
> wrote:

> In article >,
> (bleh) wrote:
>
> > Will > wrote in message

> > > Oops, yes you did, sorry. Long day, brain dead. Not sure where you got
> > > the 70/20/10% figure. Lately a lot of Westsiders seem to do equal
> > > amounts of GM-type, squat-type, and pull-type ME exercises.
> >
> > Ehh, I've seen some articles that claim Louie teaches that good
> > mornings should be done 70% of the time on leg ME days. I've also seen
> > articles written by David Tate that actually say 40%. However, I would
> > definately think that the percentages should be higher for good
> > mornings than either squats or deadlift variations since from the
> > articles by Louie that I have read really stress the idea that
> > deadlifting for reps taxes the body too much. This is why I question
> > the effectivness of the deadlift parts of the sheiko workouts.
>
> I've seen articles that claim Louie's said all kinds of things. And
> deadlifting for reps =/= deadlifting (or rack pulling etc.) for a max
> single.
>
> The latest workout templates put out by EliteFTS recommend rotating
> between a squat type movement, a GM type movement, and a pull type
> movement as ME exercises.

Which makes sense to me. The Westside thing is always evolving anyhow. The
constant is the heavy ME day and a light day.

bleh
November 18th 04, 02:49 AM
Will > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> (bleh) wrote:
>
> > Will > wrote in message

> > > Oops, yes you did, sorry. Long day, brain dead. Not sure where you got
> > > the 70/20/10% figure. Lately a lot of Westsiders seem to do equal
> > > amounts of GM-type, squat-type, and pull-type ME exercises.
> >
> > Ehh, I've seen some articles that claim Louie teaches that good
> > mornings should be done 70% of the time on leg ME days. I've also seen
> > articles written by David Tate that actually say 40%. However, I would
> > definately think that the percentages should be higher for good
> > mornings than either squats or deadlift variations since from the
> > articles by Louie that I have read really stress the idea that
> > deadlifting for reps taxes the body too much. This is why I question
> > the effectivness of the deadlift parts of the sheiko workouts.
>
> I've seen articles that claim Louie's said all kinds of things. And
> deadlifting for reps =/= deadlifting (or rack pulling etc.) for a max
> single.

I know they aren't the same. I didn't mean to imply that I thought
they were. The article I read by Louie Simmons stressed the idea that
deadlifting for reps (such as in the sheiko routine) was probably
counterproductive. In this article he also talks about how he believes
GMs are a better alternative.

> The latest workout templates put out by EliteFTS recommend rotating
> between a squat type movement, a GM type movement, and a pull type
> movement as ME exercises.
>
> Seems like you're going to keep posting until one of us tells you to do
> what you wanted to do anyway, so you could speed things up by just
> telling us what you want us to tell you to do.

That's bull****. Keith told me that I might do well to replace some of
the deadlifting with some good morning work. That's what I'm planning
on doing.
The only other advice given was to maybe try a westside influenced
metal militia workout. THOSE ARE TWO DIFFERENT SUGGESTIONS. What the
hell are you talking about?

bleh
November 18th 04, 02:52 AM
(Keith Hobman) wrote in message >...
> In article >, Will
> > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > (bleh) wrote:

> > > Ehh, I've seen some articles that claim Louie teaches that good
> > > mornings should be done 70% of the time on leg ME days. I've also seen
> > > articles written by David Tate that actually say 40%. However, I would
> > > definately think that the percentages should be higher for good
> > > mornings than either squats or deadlift variations since from the
> > > articles by Louie that I have read really stress the idea that
> > > deadlifting for reps taxes the body too much. This is why I question
> > > the effectivness of the deadlift parts of the sheiko workouts.
> >
> > I've seen articles that claim Louie's said all kinds of things. And
> > deadlifting for reps =/= deadlifting (or rack pulling etc.) for a max
> > single.
> >
> > The latest workout templates put out by EliteFTS recommend rotating
> > between a squat type movement, a GM type movement, and a pull type
> > movement as ME exercises.
>
> Which makes sense to me. The Westside thing is always evolving anyhow. The
> constant is the heavy ME day and a light day.

That's true. I read a fairly recent deadlifting article Louie did and
apparently speed deadlifts are being more strongly advocated.

bleh
November 18th 04, 02:58 AM
(Keith Hobman) wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> (bleh) wrote:
>
> > (Keith Hobman) wrote in message

> > > I think you may be getting too much work on the hips. Since Westside
> > > seemed to help the deadlift I'd lower my work on the deadlift itself and
> > > start doing heavy good morning workouts in place of the deadlift workout.
> > > So maybe deadlift once per week or every third deadlift workout and do
> > > good morning for the other workouts. That will keep your lower back strong
> > > and you are still getting a pile of work from the squat for your sumo
> > > style deadlift.
> >
> > Heh, I think you might be right. Like I said, after the first round I
> > did with sheiko my deadlift jumped 15 pounds. During that first round
> > I also was basically incapable of doing alot of the deadlift sets
> > because I hurt so bad. I just didn't do them. I guess it kept me from
> > overtraining my hip flexors. This second round with sheiko I have done
> > all the deadlifting that was prescribed and I didn't see as much
> > progress on my squat. Perhaps I really did overtrain my hip flexors
> > this time around.
> > I've though about doing this before and I will than likely go to good
> > mornings as a substitute for deadlifting and just keep basically
> > everything with the sheiko workout the same. Other than this one
> > detail I am really liking its results. Thanks Keith for suggesting it
> > to me.
> > What percentage would I use to plan my workout with though. I don't
> > have a power rack and can only scrounge up a spotter on those
> > occasions when I need to test my 1rms. If I use my three rep max and
> > plug that into a 1rm calculator I suppose I can get a useable number.
> > However, if I use the Sheiko percentages for deadlifting, will I be
> > putting myself at risk?
>
> I would still use the Sheiko numbers for the deadlift and choose the
> heaviest deadlift workout to follow (every third day).
Well, the way the beginner #1 routine is structured, deadlifting is
done every wednesday. Since it's a 4 week program are you saying that
I should do the deadlifting as prescribed on the wednesday of the
third week but do good mornings in place of it the other weeks?

> For the GM I would base it off your 3RM and simply guestimate what a 1RM
> is. I find on the GM as I go heavier I simply don't go as far down so I
> really don't think it matters much. Just work it.
So you are saying I shouldn't work the good morning using numbers
based on waveloading percentages like the squatting, benching, and
deadlifting are?

Keith Hobman
November 18th 04, 02:33 PM
In article >,
(bleh) wrote:

> (Keith Hobman) wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > (bleh) wrote:

> > > Heh, I think you might be right. Like I said, after the first round I
> > > did with sheiko my deadlift jumped 15 pounds. During that first round
> > > I also was basically incapable of doing alot of the deadlift sets
> > > because I hurt so bad. I just didn't do them. I guess it kept me from
> > > overtraining my hip flexors. This second round with sheiko I have done
> > > all the deadlifting that was prescribed and I didn't see as much
> > > progress on my squat. Perhaps I really did overtrain my hip flexors
> > > this time around.
> > > I've though about doing this before and I will than likely go to good
> > > mornings as a substitute for deadlifting and just keep basically
> > > everything with the sheiko workout the same. Other than this one
> > > detail I am really liking its results. Thanks Keith for suggesting it
> > > to me.
> > > What percentage would I use to plan my workout with though. I don't
> > > have a power rack and can only scrounge up a spotter on those
> > > occasions when I need to test my 1rms. If I use my three rep max and
> > > plug that into a 1rm calculator I suppose I can get a useable number.
> > > However, if I use the Sheiko percentages for deadlifting, will I be
> > > putting myself at risk?
> >
> > I would still use the Sheiko numbers for the deadlift and choose the
> > heaviest deadlift workout to follow (every third day).
> Well, the way the beginner #1 routine is structured, deadlifting is
> done every wednesday. Since it's a 4 week program are you saying that
> I should do the deadlifting as prescribed on the wednesday of the
> third week but do good mornings in place of it the other weeks?
>

> > For the GM I would base it off your 3RM and simply guestimate what a 1RM
> > is. I find on the GM as I go heavier I simply don't go as far down so I
> > really don't think it matters much. Just work it.
> So you are saying I shouldn't work the good morning using numbers
> based on waveloading percentages like the squatting, benching, and
> deadlifting are?

Right. Just work heavy in that movement and you should be just fine.