PDA

View Full Version : Remember your Back . You might not see it - but everyone else does!

Mark D'Arcy
November 17th 04, 11:03 AM
Remember your Back
you might not see it - but everyone else does

How often do you exercise the muscles of your back? Once a week?
Twice a week?? Now most people do incorporate back exercises into
their workouts, however these muscles tend to be worked almost as an
afterthought. Half-heartedly and as a stop gap between exercising the
more visible muscle groups.

Don't you think that a large and muscular back looks good on a guy,
helping to give you that broad V shape? You probably do, but as
‘your' back is generally only ever seen by other people, it's possibly
not something that you think about much. Especially when you're
looking at yourself in the gym mirror. So for this reason I am
outlining below a variety of methods to beef up and define your back.

1. Chin ups
The chin up is my personal favorite overall back exercise. It is
something that I find helps to pre-exhaust all of the muscles of that
area, leaving me ready to move on to more concentrated exercises. It
is best performed with the hands in a fairly wide grip and you should
lift yourself up until your chin is level with the bar and then lower
yourself slowly.</h2>

2. Dumbbell Row.
The dumb bell row is a good focused exercise, allowing the bodybuilder
to define and shape the back. With the arm and knee of one side of
the body resting on a bench, the dumbbell should be held in the other
hand and raised until it touches the chest and then lowered slowly.

3. Pulldown Bar.
This is done using the pulldown machine. The bar should be gripped
widely and the preferred movement should be to the chest. Lowering
the bar behind the neck can be damaging.

If you perform one set each of the above outlined exercises, two or
three times a week, then you should quickly notice an improvement,
both in the muscle mass and muscle definition of the back.

Author

Mark D'Arcy
http://www.makemuscle.net

Jeff Finlayson
November 17th 04, 02:09 PM
Mark D'Arcy wrote:

> Remember your Back
> you might not see it - but everyone else does
>
> How often do you exercise the muscles of your back? Once a week?
> Twice a week?? Now most people do incorporate back exercises into
> their workouts, however these muscles tend to be worked almost as an
> afterthought. Half-heartedly and as a stop gap between exercising the
> more visible muscle groups.

Sounds like a lot of gym rats out there.

> Don't you think that a large and muscular back looks good on a guy,
> helping to give you that broad V shape? You probably do, but as
> ‘your' back is generally only ever seen by other people, it's possibly
> not something that you think about much. Especially when you're
> looking at yourself in the gym mirror. So for this reason I am
> outlining below a variety of methods to beef up and define your back.
>
> 1. Chin ups
> The chin up is my personal favorite overall back exercise. It is
> something that I find helps to pre-exhaust all of the muscles of that
> area, leaving me ready to move on to more concentrated exercises. It
> is best performed with the hands in a fairly wide grip and you should
> lift yourself up until your chin is level with the bar and then lower
> yourself slowly.</h2>

Lower steady and under control. Slow or very slow is not necessary.

> 2. Dumbbell Row.
> The dumb bell row is a good focused exercise, allowing the bodybuilder
> to define and shape the back. With the arm and knee of one side of
> the body resting on a bench, the dumbbell should be held in the other
> hand and raised until it touches the chest and then lowered slowly.

Ditto above.

> 3. Pulldown Bar.

It's called a lat pulldown. The bar is a piece of equipment.

> This is done using the pulldown machine. The bar should be gripped
> widely and the preferred movement should be to the chest. Lowering
> the bar behind the neck can be damaging.

> If you perform one set each of the above outlined exercises, two or
> three times a week, then you should quickly notice an improvement,
> both in the muscle mass and muscle definition of the back.

1 set as in HIT?

Pat Styles
November 17th 04, 03:01 PM
"Mark D'Arcy" > wrote in message
m...

> Mark D'Arcy
> http://www.makemineminniemouse.net

Hey, clue****, you might want to get some work in there for your erectors and
the upper portion of the traps, not to mention that definition is more a
function of bodyfat levels than muscle size.
ps

Jay
November 17th 04, 03:42 PM
what if I just want to tone my back?
"Mark D'Arcy" > wrote in message
m...
> Remember your Back
> you might not see it - but everyone else does
>
> How often do you exercise the muscles of your back? Once a week?
> Twice a week?? Now most people do incorporate back exercises into
> their workouts, however these muscles tend to be worked almost as an
> afterthought. Half-heartedly and as a stop gap between exercising the
> more visible muscle groups.
>
> Don't you think that a large and muscular back looks good on a guy,
> helping to give you that broad V shape? You probably do, but as
> 'your' back is generally only ever seen by other people, it's possibly
> not something that you think about much. Especially when you're
> looking at yourself in the gym mirror. So for this reason I am
> outlining below a variety of methods to beef up and define your back.
>

> 1. Chin ups
> The chin up is my personal favorite overall back exercise. It is
> something that I find helps to pre-exhaust all of the muscles of that
> area, leaving me ready to move on to more concentrated exercises. It
> is best performed with the hands in a fairly wide grip and you should
> lift yourself up until your chin is level with the bar and then lower
> yourself slowly.</h2>
>
> 2. Dumbbell Row.
> The dumb bell row is a good focused exercise, allowing the bodybuilder
> to define and shape the back. With the arm and knee of one side of
> the body resting on a bench, the dumbbell should be held in the other
> hand and raised until it touches the chest and then lowered slowly.
>
> 3. Pulldown Bar.
> This is done using the pulldown machine. The bar should be gripped
> widely and the preferred movement should be to the chest. Lowering
> the bar behind the neck can be damaging.
>
> If you perform one set each of the above outlined exercises, two or
> three times a week, then you should quickly notice an improvement,
> both in the muscle mass and muscle definition of the back.
>
> Author
>
> Mark D'Arcy
> http://www.makemuscle.net

Lurker
November 17th 04, 04:44 PM
Jay wrote:
> what if I just want to tone my back?

Bowflex in a powercage. Haven't you been paying attention.

It recolors grey hair according to another thread as well.

Lurker

Lee Michaels
November 17th 04, 04:49 PM
Jay wrote:

> what if I just want to tone my back?

A large bell.

Ring it a lot.

This will bring about "tone".

John HUDSON
November 17th 04, 05:44 PM
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:49:09 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:

> Jay wrote:
>>
>> what if I just want to tone my back?
>
>A large bell.
>
>Ring it a lot.
>
>This will bring about "tone".

No Lee, I think he is asking about reducing his body fat % and
exhibiting a cleaner and more muscular body, as recommended by that
well respected web site: www.exrx.net .

The word "tone" or "toning" is always jumped on by a couple of
half-witted pedants here, but it is widely used and well recognised by
anyone who has any *real* knowledge of fitness and training, and who
perhaps doesn't mind being helpful!!

Have a look at:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Toning.html

carlos
November 17th 04, 07:15 PM
John HUDSON wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:49:09 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> > wrote:
>

>> Jay wrote:
>>>
>>> what if I just want to tone my back?
>>
>> A large bell.
>>
>> Ring it a lot.
>>
>> This will bring about "tone".
>
> No Lee, I think he is asking about reducing his body fat % and
> exhibiting a cleaner and more muscular body, as recommended by that
> well respected web site: www.exrx.net .
>
> The word "tone" or "toning" is always jumped on by a couple of
> half-witted pedants here, but it is widely used and well recognised by
> anyone who has any *real* knowledge of fitness and training, and who
> perhaps doesn't mind being helpful!!
>
> Have a look at:
>
> http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Toning.html

I like your attitude, and it is of course helpful.

John HUDSON
November 17th 04, 07:46 PM
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:15:49 -0000, "carlos"
> wrote:

>John HUDSON wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:49:09 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
>> > wrote:

>>> A large bell.
>>>
>>> Ring it a lot.
>>>
>>> This will bring about "tone".
>>
>> No Lee, I think he is asking about reducing his body fat % and
>> exhibiting a cleaner and more muscular body, as recommended by that
>> well respected web site: www.exrx.net .
>>
>> The word "tone" or "toning" is always jumped on by a couple of
>> half-witted pedants here, but it is widely used and well recognised by
>> anyone who has any *real* knowledge of fitness and training, and who
>> perhaps doesn't mind being helpful!!
>>
>> Have a look at:
>>
>> http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Toning.html
>
>I like your attitude, and it is of course helpful.

My pleasure!! ;o)

User
November 18th 04, 02:22 AM
> Bowflex in a powercage. Haven't you been paying attention.
>
> It recolors grey hair according to another thread as well.

Hells yeah. It grew me hair in all sorts of places.