PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Bar

Steve Freides
November 18th 04, 01:46 AM
http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/equipment.html

Good, bad, makes no difference? Why? I need another bar and since the
DL is my favorite/best lift, a bar that calls itself a deadlift bar
sounds good - but what makes a bar a deadlift bar? This one claims to
add weight to one's DL - sounds rather like the marketing style of,
well, you know. :)

You have to scroll down a bit - all the equipment is on the same web
page.

Hey, Wayne, if you're around, you once told me you thought my DL 1RM was
soft - I'm beginning to agree. Yell if you're around and I'll give you
some recent numbers as well as solicit your opinion on attempts at my
upcoming meet.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Keith Hobman
November 18th 04, 02:11 AM
In article >, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

> http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/equipment.html
>
> Good, bad, makes no difference? Why? I need another bar and since the
> DL is my favorite/best lift, a bar that calls itself a deadlift bar
> sounds good - but what makes a bar a deadlift bar? This one claims to
> add weight to one's DL - sounds rather like the marketing style of,
> well, you know. :)
>
> You have to scroll down a bit - all the equipment is on the same web
> page.
>
> Hey, Wayne, if you're around, you once told me you thought my DL 1RM was
> soft - I'm beginning to agree. Yell if you're around and I'll give you
> some recent numbers as well as solicit your opinion on attempts at my
> upcoming meet.

They have more flex in them. So when you go heavy the full load don't get
to you for an inch or two.

I'd just get a real good olympic bar, which is much the same idea. Flex.

Eleiko.

Keith Hobman
November 18th 04, 02:17 AM
In article >, Top Sirloin
> wrote:

> Steve Freides wrote:
>
> > http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/equipment.html
> >
> > Good, bad, makes no difference? Why? I need another bar and since the
> > DL is my favorite/best lift, a bar that calls itself a deadlift bar
> > sounds good - but what makes a bar a deadlift bar? This one claims to
> > add weight to one's DL - sounds rather like the marketing style of,
> > well, you know. :)
>
> Yeah, I don't get it. If you do a meet everyone
> has the use the same bar.

You have to get used to them. I did one meet with them and I haul hard off
the floor. The bar flexed to beat hell and then oscillated back just as it
was coming over my knees and broke my grip.

The kick of the bar oscillating back is amazing because they are so
'sproingy'. You really have to work at pulling smoothly and taking the
slack out of the bar.

I'm pretty sure we are using the Okie deadlift bar in Laughlin, so Steve
will see first hand what one feels like. I've been pulling with an Eleiko
olympic bar to get ready.

Top Sirloin
November 18th 04, 02:19 AM

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

elzinator
November 18th 04, 02:27 AM
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:17:14 -0600, Keith Hobman wrote:
>In article >, Top Sirloin
> wrote:
>
>> Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/equipment.html
>> >
>> > Good, bad, makes no difference? Why? I need another bar and since the
>> > DL is my favorite/best lift, a bar that calls itself a deadlift bar
>> > sounds good - but what makes a bar a deadlift bar? This one claims to
>> > add weight to one's DL - sounds rather like the marketing style of,
>> > well, you know. :)
>>
>> Yeah, I don't get it. If you do a meet everyone
>> has the use the same bar.
>
>You have to get used to them. I did one meet with them and I haul hard off
>the floor. The bar flexed to beat hell and then oscillated back just as it
>was coming over my knees and broke my grip.

I've heard the same complaint by more than a few.
They didn't like it much.
Stroud's has a bar that doesn't flex much just for the heavy DLs.
(the knurling on it is a bitch; left a nice rash on my neck/back doing
squats with it. All the other bars were being used. I now avoid that
bar like the plague )

---------------
My give-a-**** meter is broken.

Steve Freides
November 18th 04, 02:33 AM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article >, Top Sirloin
> > wrote:
>
>> Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/equipment.html
>> >
>> > Good, bad, makes no difference? Why? I need another bar and since
>> > the
>> > DL is my favorite/best lift, a bar that calls itself a deadlift bar
>> > sounds good - but what makes a bar a deadlift bar? This one claims
>> > add weight to one's DL - sounds rather like the marketing style of,
>> > well, you know. :)
>>
>> Yeah, I don't get it. If you do a meet everyone
>> has the use the same bar.
>
> You have to get used to them. I did one meet with them and I haul hard
> off
> the floor. The bar flexed to beat hell and then oscillated back just
> as it
> was coming over my knees and broke my grip.
>
> The kick of the bar oscillating back is amazing because they are so
> 'sproingy'. You really have to work at pulling smoothly and taking the
> slack out of the bar.
>
> I'm pretty sure we are using the Okie deadlift bar in Laughlin, so
> Steve
> will see first hand what one feels like. I've been pulling with an
> Eleiko
> olympic bar to get ready.

Yeah, I guess that's the issue - what's used at meets? The bar at the
one meet I did was also noticeably flexy compared to what I'm used even.
It would be very nice if, in addition to standardizing on the weight and
diameter of the bar, they'd standardize on the flexiness. (Although I'm
guessing, since I'm weakest off the floor, a flexy bar works to my
advantage because I don't have to pull the full weight until I've moved
the middle at least a little.)

The other thing is the depth of the knurling - the bar I used at that
meet was definitely more deeply knurled than anything I'd used before -
are Olympic bars like the Eleiko and, for that matter, the Okie, more
deeply knurled than the Cap bar I've been using, the old York ones at
the Y, etc.?

The good thing about the Okie bar is that it's half as much money as the
Eleiko training bar, and it's also a little cheaper than the York PL bar
Iron Mind sells. Sounds like the Okie may be the pick of this
particular litter in terms of bang for the buck.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Keith Hobman
November 18th 04, 02:35 PM
In article >, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

> "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> > In article >, Top Sirloin
> > > wrote:

> >> Yeah, I don't get it. If you do a meet everyone
> >> has the use the same bar.
> >
> > You have to get used to them. I did one meet with them and I haul hard
> > off
> > the floor. The bar flexed to beat hell and then oscillated back just
> > as it
> > was coming over my knees and broke my grip.
> >
> > The kick of the bar oscillating back is amazing because they are so
> > 'sproingy'. You really have to work at pulling smoothly and taking the
> > slack out of the bar.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure we are using the Okie deadlift bar in Laughlin, so
> > Steve
> > will see first hand what one feels like. I've been pulling with an
> > Eleiko
> > olympic bar to get ready.
>
> Yeah, I guess that's the issue - what's used at meets? The bar at the
> one meet I did was also noticeably flexy compared to what I'm used even.
> It would be very nice if, in addition to standardizing on the weight and
> diameter of the bar, they'd standardize on the flexiness. (Although I'm
> guessing, since I'm weakest off the floor, a flexy bar works to my
> advantage because I don't have to pull the full weight until I've moved
> the middle at least a little.)
>
> The other thing is the depth of the knurling - the bar I used at that
> meet was definitely more deeply knurled than anything I'd used before -
> are Olympic bars like the Eleiko and, for that matter, the Okie, more
> deeply knurled than the Cap bar I've been using, the old York ones at
> the Y, etc.?
>
> The good thing about the Okie bar is that it's half as much money as the
> Eleiko training bar, and it's also a little cheaper than the York PL bar
> Iron Mind sells. Sounds like the Okie may be the pick of this
> particular litter in terms of bang for the buck.

You can pretty much shave with an Eleiko...

Seriously. Sharp as a razor.

Jeff Finlayson
November 18th 04, 03:04 PM
Top Sirloin wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/equipment.html
>> Good, bad, makes no difference? Why? I need another bar and since
>> the DL is my favorite/best lift, a bar that calls itself a deadlift
>> bar sounds good - but what makes a bar a deadlift bar? This one
>> claims to add weight to one's DL - sounds rather like the marketing
>> style of, well, you know. :)
>
> Yeah, I don't get it. If you do a meet everyone has the use the same bar.

Depends on the Fed. Some do allow use of different bars as long as they
meet length and diameter requirements.

Jeff Finlayson
November 18th 04, 03:17 PM
Jeff Finlayson wrote:
> Top Sirloin wrote:
>> Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/equipment.html
>>> Good, bad, makes no difference? Why? I need another bar and since
>>> the DL is my favorite/best lift, a bar that calls itself a deadlift
>>> bar sounds good - but what makes a bar a deadlift bar? This one
>>> claims to add weight to one's DL - sounds rather like the marketing
>>> style of, well, you know. :)
>>
>> Yeah, I don't get it. If you do a meet everyone has the use the same bar.
>
> Depends on the Fed. Some do allow use of different bars as long as they
> meet length and diameter requirements.

Ah, that wasn't what you meant. Oh well..

Steve Freides
November 18th 04, 08:41 PM
"Jeff Finlayson" > wrote in message
> Jeff Finlayson wrote:
>> Top Sirloin wrote:

>>> Yeah, I don't get it. If you do a meet everyone has the use the same
>>> bar.
>>
>> Depends on the Fed. Some do allow use of different bars as long as
>> they
>> meet length and diameter requirements.
>
> Ah, that wasn't what you meant. Oh well..

My concern, granted that it's pretty picky, is that I'm weakest off the
floor and a flexy bar allows me to pull more weight. I want to train
with one so that I'm sure my grip or whatever else is ready for the
heavier weight. I'm hoping to hit 2.5 x bodyweight (raw, no belt) at my
next meet but I've never held that much weight so I have no clue what my
weakest link might be once the bar gets off the ground.

So, for me at least, that's why I'd like to train with a bar that works
like a meet bar.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Steve Freides
November 19th 04, 05:40 PM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article >, Top Sirloin
> > wrote:
>
>> Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/equipment.html
>> >
>> > Good, bad, makes no difference? Why? I need another bar and since
>> > the
>> > DL is my favorite/best lift, a bar that calls itself a deadlift bar
>> > sounds good - but what makes a bar a deadlift bar? This one claims
>> > add weight to one's DL - sounds rather like the marketing style of,
>> > well, you know. :)
>>
>> Yeah, I don't get it. If you do a meet everyone
>> has the use the same bar.
>
> You have to get used to them. I did one meet with them and I haul hard
> off
> the floor. The bar flexed to beat hell and then oscillated back just
> as it
> was coming over my knees and broke my grip.
>
> The kick of the bar oscillating back is amazing because they are so
> 'sproingy'. You really have to work at pulling smoothly and taking the
> slack out of the bar.
>
> I'm pretty sure we are using the Okie deadlift bar in Laughlin, so
> Steve
> will see first hand what one feels like. I've been pulling with an
> Eleiko
> olympic bar to get ready.

I just spoke to RDC and ordered an Okie DL bar - won't be here until
after the meet but I figure it will be good to train on. I emailed back
and forth with him and Martin Drake of the AAU a few times before I
ordered and found out the bar is actually a little different and not
just in that it's flexier. The gripping area is actually slightly (1.5
mm) smaller and the sleeves are set further to the outside to allow the
weight to leave the ground later - and the whole thing has been AAU
approved since 2000. I keep one bar and set of weights just for DL's so
this will work out perfectly for my setup here.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

DanL
November 21st 04, 12:12 AM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Yeah, I guess that's the issue - what's used at meets? The bar at the one
> meet I did was also noticeably flexy compared to what I'm used even. It
> would be very nice if, in addition to standardizing on the weight and
> diameter of the bar, they'd standardize on the flexiness. (Although I'm
> guessing, since I'm weakest off the floor, a flexy bar works to my
> advantage because I don't have to pull the full weight until I've moved
> the middle at least a little.)
>
> The other thing is the depth of the knurling - the bar I used at that meet
> was definitely more deeply knurled than anything I'd used before - are
> Olympic bars like the Eleiko and, for that matter, the Okie, more deeply
> knurled than the Cap bar I've been using, the old York ones at the Y,
> etc.?
>
> The good thing about the Okie bar is that it's half as much money as the
> Eleiko training bar, and it's also a little cheaper than the York PL bar
> Iron Mind sells. Sounds like the Okie may be the pick of this particular
> litter in terms of bang for the buck.
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

The okie bar as real nice knurling- gives you good grip but doesn't cut you
up. It's also a slight bit thinner than a regular power bar so it's easier
to grip. I don't think you can compare the knurling to a cap bar in any sort
of way. I have a couple cap bars, one is razor sharp, the other 2 are not so
bad. I use the not so bad one for deadlifting and use the sharp one for
squats and bench. I love using the okie at meets. When you are going real
heavy they flex enough that you can get some momentum going before the bar
actually comes off the floor. I don't think you are going to get much
benefit from it in that respect unless you are doing 500+lbs, but it is a
much nicer bar to lift with no matter how much you do.

As nice as they are, I wouldn't want one at home. I'd rather train on my old
stiff bar and have to work harder. Then when the meet comes, you'll get the
benefit of the flex from the okie. If you trained on an okie all the time
and then did a meet where they didn't have one, you'd be SOL. Make your
training harder, not easier, and it will lead to better numbers when it
counts. No one cares what anyone deadlifts in their basement. Do it at the
meet.

John Hanson
November 22nd 04, 02:13 AM
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:12:37 -0500, "DanL" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> Yeah, I guess that's the issue - what's used at meets? The bar at the one
>> meet I did was also noticeably flexy compared to what I'm used even. It
>> would be very nice if, in addition to standardizing on the weight and
>> diameter of the bar, they'd standardize on the flexiness. (Although I'm
>> guessing, since I'm weakest off the floor, a flexy bar works to my
>> advantage because I don't have to pull the full weight until I've moved
>> the middle at least a little.)
>>
>> The other thing is the depth of the knurling - the bar I used at that meet
>> was definitely more deeply knurled than anything I'd used before - are
>> Olympic bars like the Eleiko and, for that matter, the Okie, more deeply
>> knurled than the Cap bar I've been using, the old York ones at the Y,
>> etc.?
>>
>> The good thing about the Okie bar is that it's half as much money as the
>> Eleiko training bar, and it's also a little cheaper than the York PL bar
>> Iron Mind sells. Sounds like the Okie may be the pick of this particular
>> litter in terms of bang for the buck.
>>
>> -S-
>> http://www.kbnj.com
>
>The okie bar as real nice knurling- gives you good grip but doesn't cut you
>up. It's also a slight bit thinner than a regular power bar so it's easier
>to grip. I don't think you can compare the knurling to a cap bar in any sort
>of way. I have a couple cap bars, one is razor sharp, the other 2 are not so
>bad. I use the not so bad one for deadlifting and use the sharp one for
>squats and bench. I love using the okie at meets. When you are going real
>heavy they flex enough that you can get some momentum going before the bar
>actually comes off the floor. I don't think you are going to get much
>benefit from it in that respect unless you are doing 500+lbs, but it is a
>much nicer bar to lift with no matter how much you do.
>
>As nice as they are, I wouldn't want one at home. I'd rather train on my old
>stiff bar and have to work harder. Then when the meet comes, you'll get the
>benefit of the flex from the okie. If you trained on an okie all the time
>and then did a meet where they didn't have one, you'd be SOL. Make your
>training harder, not easier, and it will lead to better numbers when it
>counts. No one cares what anyone deadlifts in their basement. Do it at the
>meet.

Amen

z_bumbi
November 22nd 04, 12:10 PM
(Keith Hobman) wrote in message >...
> > The other thing is the depth of the knurling - the bar I used at that
> > meet was definitely more deeply knurled than anything I'd used before -
> > are Olympic bars like the Eleiko and, for that matter, the Okie, more
> > deeply knurled than the Cap bar I've been using, the old York ones at
> > the Y, etc.?
> >
> > The good thing about the Okie bar is that it's half as much money as the
> > Eleiko training bar, and it's also a little cheaper than the York PL bar
> > Iron Mind sells. Sounds like the Okie may be the pick of this
> > particular litter in terms of bang for the buck.
>
> You can pretty much shave with an Eleiko...
>
> Seriously. Sharp as a razor.

I may have missed something but wasnīt the goal to find a bar which
were more flexible than a regular powerlifting bar, like a
weightlifting bar.
The weightlifing bars from Eleiko I have tried isnīt that sharp
compared with the Eleikos for powerlifting or for the mather compared
with any desent powerlifting bar I have tried.
Or are powerlifting bars from Eleiko more flexibile than some other
powerlifting bars that some other fed than IPF uses?

Bjorn - Who might have got realy, realy confussed by the use of the
term olympic bar as that in his world allways is an weightlifting bar.

Keith Hobman
November 22nd 04, 11:38 PM
In article >,
(z_bumbi) wrote:

> (Keith Hobman) wrote in message
> > > The other thing is the depth of the knurling - the bar I used at that
> > > meet was definitely more deeply knurled than anything I'd used before -
> > > are Olympic bars like the Eleiko and, for that matter, the Okie, more
> > > deeply knurled than the Cap bar I've been using, the old York ones at
> > > the Y, etc.?
> > >
> > > The good thing about the Okie bar is that it's half as much money as the
> > > Eleiko training bar, and it's also a little cheaper than the York PL bar
> > > Iron Mind sells. Sounds like the Okie may be the pick of this
> > > particular litter in terms of bang for the buck.
> >
> > You can pretty much shave with an Eleiko...
> >
> > Seriously. Sharp as a razor.
>
> I may have missed something but wasnīt the goal to find a bar which
> were more flexible than a regular powerlifting bar, like a
> weightlifting bar.
> The weightlifing bars from Eleiko I have tried isnīt that sharp
> compared with the Eleikos for powerlifting or for the mather compared
> with any desent powerlifting bar I have tried.
> Or are powerlifting bars from Eleiko more flexibile than some other
> powerlifting bars that some other fed than IPF uses?
>
> Bjorn - Who might have got realy, realy confussed by the use of the
> term olympic bar as that in his world allways is an weightlifting bar.

We have the weightlifting bars from Eleiko at our university - people
complain about the knurling cutting their shins, but you are right. They
aren't like the powerlifting bars, which you can almost shave with.

I was thinking of the weightlifting bar. expensive, but excellent steel,
long-lasting and versatile.