PDA

View Full Version : Man - Born to Run

Lordy
November 18th 04, 11:33 PM
Man is a very good distance runner. (or at least used to be :)

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
xml=/news/2004/11/18/wrun18.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/11/18/ixworld.html

http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/195621-5366-010.html

http://www.nature.com/news/2004/041115/full/041115-9.html

--
Lordy

bc
November 19th 04, 06:53 PM
Lordy > wrote in message >...
> Man is a very good distance runner. (or at least used to be :)
>
> http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
> xml=/news/2004/11/18/wrun18.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/11/18/ixworld.html
>
> http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/195621-5366-010.html
>
> http://www.nature.com/news/2004/041115/full/041115-9.html

As a matter of fact, I'm about to start on big running training
comeback program today. (Ta daa)
I'll probably pull off a whopping 2 miler with hopefully not much
mincing about afterwards. It's so hard to dial back the expectations
sometimes. This time, the otherwise unavoidable injuries will be
enough to keep me in check I think.

- bc

Kermit
November 20th 04, 05:23 AM
(bc) wrote in message >...
> Lordy > wrote in message >...
> > Man is a very good distance runner. (or at least used to be :)
> >
> > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
> > xml=/news/2004/11/18/wrun18.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/11/18/ixworld.html
> >
> > http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/195621-5366-010.html
> >
> > http://www.nature.com/news/2004/041115/full/041115-9.html
>
> As a matter of fact, I'm about to start on big running training
> comeback program today. (Ta daa)
> I'll probably pull off a whopping 2 miler with hopefully not much
> mincing about afterwards. It's so hard to dial back the expectations
> sometimes. This time, the otherwise unavoidable injuries will be
> enough to keep me in check I think.
>
> - bc

Grrrrr. I ran for 45 years, then a year and a half ago partially tore
my right calf (gastrocnemeus?). Guess I'm too old to do wind sprints.
Tried jogging slowly last spring, but after a few sessions started
feeling pain in the same spot. That's what I get for not doing heel
raises regularly. Now I do 'em weekly, and stretch whenever I think of
it. This spring, the comeback kid hits the road!

I still have the weights and martial arts, but nothing like a few
miles of jogging^H^H^H^H^H plodding weekly to get those last few
pounds off and drop the heart rate.

And yes, anyone who runs knows why we are the naked ape.

Kermit

Lordy
November 20th 04, 04:10 PM
Lordy > wrote in
:

> Man is a very good distance runner. (or at least used to be :)
>
> http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
> xml=/news/2004/11/18/wrun18.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/11/18/ixworld.html
>
> http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/195621-5366-010.html
>
> http://www.nature.com/news/2004/041115/full/041115-9.html

Some more interesting quotes to be the life and soul of the party..

"Have you ever looked at an ape?" Bramble said. "They have no buns."

Lieberman, a paleontologist, explained: "Your gluteus maximus stabilizes
your trunk as you lean forward in a run. A run is like a controlled
fall, and the buttocks help to control it."

Another feature early humans developed is a piece of tissue at the back
of the skull and neck that acts as a shock absorber and helps the arms
and shoulders counterbalance the head as it bobs up and down during a
run.

"These esoteric features make humans surprisingly good runners,"
Lieberman said. "Over long distances, we can outrun our dogs and give
many horses a good race."

While people cannot run as fast, over short distances, as horses,
greyhounds or antelopes, they can keep running for many miles.

"Apes, such as chimpanzees, can sprint rapidly, but they do so rarely
and only for short distances," the researchers wrote. "No primates other
than humans are capable of endurance running."

--
Lordy

Lordy
November 20th 04, 04:23 PM
Lordy > wrote in news:[email protected]
130.133.1.4:

> "Have you ever looked at an ape?" Bramble said. "They have no buns."

Does this mean we can out squat 400lb Gorillas ??

(Other) Apes do have great upper body strength (esp tree dwellers) but
maybe if you slap an olympic bar on their shoulders they will wimp out ?

--
Lordy

Donovan Rebbechi
November 20th 04, 05:08 PM
On 2004-11-20, Lordy > wrote:
> Lordy > wrote in news:[email protected]
> 130.133.1.4:
>

>> "Have you ever looked at an ape?" Bramble said. "They have no buns."
>
> Does this mean we can out squat 400lb Gorillas ??
>

> (Other) Apes do have great upper body strength (esp tree dwellers) but
> maybe if you slap an olympic bar on their shoulders they will wimp out ?

I see plenty of apes in the gym, and while I can't outpress them, I could
give them a run for their money at the squat rack (and I'm just an endurance
weenie)

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

bc
November 21st 04, 06:44 AM
(Kermit) wrote in message >...
> (bc) wrote in message >...
> > Lordy > wrote in message >...
> > > Man is a very good distance runner. (or at least used to be :)
> > >
> > > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
> > > xml=/news/2004/11/18/wrun18.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/11/18/ixworld.html
> > >
> > > http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/195621-5366-010.html
> > >
> > > http://www.nature.com/news/2004/041115/full/041115-9.html
> >
> > As a matter of fact, I'm about to start on big running training
> > comeback program today. (Ta daa)
> > I'll probably pull off a whopping 2 miler with hopefully not much
> > mincing about afterwards. It's so hard to dial back the expectations
> > sometimes. This time, the otherwise unavoidable injuries will be
> > enough to keep me in check I think.
> >
> > - bc
>

> Grrrrr. I ran for 45 years, then a year and a half ago partially tore
> my right calf (gastrocnemeus?). Guess I'm too old to do wind sprints.
> Tried jogging slowly last spring, but after a few sessions started
> feeling pain in the same spot. That's what I get for not doing heel
> raises regularly. Now I do 'em weekly, and stretch whenever I think of
> it. This spring, the comeback kid hits the road!
>
> I still have the weights and martial arts, but nothing like a few
> miles of jogging^H^H^H^H^H plodding weekly to get those last few
> pounds off and drop the heart rate.
>
> And yes, anyone who runs knows why we are the naked ape.

I actually flirted just a bit with barefoot running, not on pavement,
but on the grass. I read some info and gave it a try: pretty
interesting. It taught me something about running with less impact.
It didn't stick, but I'm convinced there is some good learning there
for the average heel striker.

- bc

aj
November 21st 04, 06:29 PM
On 2004-11-21, bc > wrote:
> (Kermit) wrote in message >...
>> (bc) wrote in message >...

>> > As a matter of fact, I'm about to start on big running training
>> > comeback program today. (Ta daa)
>> > I'll probably pull off a whopping 2 miler with hopefully not much
>> > mincing about afterwards. It's so hard to dial back the expectations
>> > sometimes. This time, the otherwise unavoidable injuries will be
>> > enough to keep me in check I think.
>> >
>> > - bc
>>

>> Grrrrr. I ran for 45 years, then a year and a half ago partially tore
>> my right calf (gastrocnemeus?). Guess I'm too old to do wind sprints.
>> Tried jogging slowly last spring, but after a few sessions started
>> feeling pain in the same spot. That's what I get for not doing heel
>> raises regularly. Now I do 'em weekly, and stretch whenever I think of
>> it. This spring, the comeback kid hits the road!
>>
>> I still have the weights and martial arts, but nothing like a few
>> miles of jogging^H^H^H^H^H plodding weekly to get those last few
>> pounds off and drop the heart rate.
>>
>> And yes, anyone who runs knows why we are the naked ape.
>
> I actually flirted just a bit with barefoot running, not on pavement,
> but on the grass. I read some info and gave it a try: pretty
> interesting. It taught me something about running with less impact.
> It didn't stick, but I'm convinced there is some good learning there
> for the average heel striker.
>
> - bc

Podiatrists say the healthiest feet are those of barefoot rickshaw
drivers.

Big, butch, muscular feet support themselves.

Nike = Inzer.

--
-aj

bc
November 24th 04, 06:52 PM
aj > wrote in message >...
> On 2004-11-21, bc > wrote:
> > (Kermit) wrote in message >...

> >> Grrrrr. I ran for 45 years, then a year and a half ago partially tore
> >> my right calf (gastrocnemeus?). Guess I'm too old to do wind sprints.
> >> Tried jogging slowly last spring, but after a few sessions started
> >> feeling pain in the same spot. That's what I get for not doing heel
> >> raises regularly. Now I do 'em weekly, and stretch whenever I think of
> >> it. This spring, the comeback kid hits the road!
> >>
> >> I still have the weights and martial arts, but nothing like a few
> >> miles of jogging^H^H^H^H^H plodding weekly to get those last few
> >> pounds off and drop the heart rate.
> >>
> >> And yes, anyone who runs knows why we are the naked ape.
> >
> > I actually flirted just a bit with barefoot running, not on pavement,
> > but on the grass. I read some info and gave it a try: pretty
> > interesting. It taught me something about running with less impact.
> > It didn't stick, but I'm convinced there is some good learning there
> > for the average heel striker.
> >
> > - bc
>
> Podiatrists say the healthiest feet are those of barefoot rickshaw
> drivers.
>
> Big, butch, muscular feet support themselves.
>
> Nike = Inzer.

Hah! Nice one. (golf-clap)

- bc

aj
November 24th 04, 10:36 PM
On 2004-11-24, bc > wrote:
> aj > wrote in message >...

>> > I actually flirted just a bit with barefoot running, not on pavement,
>> > but on the grass. I read some info and gave it a try: pretty
>> > interesting. It taught me something about running with less impact.
>> > It didn't stick, but I'm convinced there is some good learning there
>> > for the average heel striker.
>> >
>> > - bc
>>
>> Podiatrists say the healthiest feet are those of barefoot rickshaw
>> drivers.
>>
>> Big, butch, muscular feet support themselves.
>>
>> Nike = Inzer.
>
> Hah! Nice one. (golf-clap)
>
> - bc

Yeah, well, the podiatrists didn't say much about their knees.

People didn't evolve to run on stone all day long, nor walk much past
40.

--
-aj

bc
November 25th 04, 03:25 PM
aj > wrote in message >...
> On 2004-11-24, bc > wrote:
> > aj > wrote in message >...

> >> Podiatrists say the healthiest feet are those of barefoot rickshaw
> >> drivers.
> >>
> >> Big, butch, muscular feet support themselves.
> >>
> >> Nike = Inzer.
> >
> > Hah! Nice one. (golf-clap)
> >
> > - bc
>
> Yeah, well, the podiatrists didn't say much about their knees.
>
> People didn't evolve to run on stone all day long, nor walk much past
> 40.

Living past 40 has dubious evolutionary advantage anyway. But lots of
people seem to be walking well past 40. Luckily, sitting on my ass
and typing past 40 seems to be working out ok.

- bc