PDA

View Full Version : Re: Education matters?

Proton Soup
November 21st 04, 12:02 AM
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:51:57 GMT, Usenet Posting
> wrote:

>Those crazy radicals!
>
>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=676&e=4&u=/usatoday/20041119/ts_usatoday/40yearslatermichpreschoolmakesadocumenteddifferenc e

Good lord, over half of their control group has been arrested at least
five times, and still over a third of the preschool group. I just
can't relate. At all. Is this normal? I've never been arrested,
even once.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

John M. Williams
November 21st 04, 12:32 AM
Proton Soup > wrote:
> Usenet Posting > wrote:
>
>>Those crazy radicals!
>>
>>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=676&e=4&u=/usatoday/20041119/ts_usatoday/40yearslatermichpreschoolmakesadocumenteddifferenc e
>
>Good lord, over half of their control group has been arrested at least
>five times, and still over a third of the preschool group. I just
>can't relate. At all. Is this normal? I've never been arrested,
>even once.

I don't think it has much of anything to do with education. I think
it's the fact that, if you can reach these little kids early enough,
you can imprint some positive values on the background of negative
values that they're likely to get from the environment around them.
Naturally, one of those positive values is a desire to get a good
education.

Proton Soup
November 21st 04, 12:47 AM
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:32:23 -0500, John M. Williams
> wrote:

>Proton Soup > wrote:
>> Usenet Posting > wrote:
>>
>>>Those crazy radicals!
>>>
>>>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=676&e=4&u=/usatoday/20041119/ts_usatoday/40yearslatermichpreschoolmakesadocumenteddifferenc e
>>
>>Good lord, over half of their control group has been arrested at least
>>five times, and still over a third of the preschool group. I just
>>can't relate. At all. Is this normal? I've never been arrested,
>>even once.
>
>I don't think it has much of anything to do with education. I think
>it's the fact that, if you can reach these little kids early enough,
>you can imprint some positive values on the background of negative
>values that they're likely to get from the environment around them.
>Naturally, one of those positive values is a desire to get a good
>education.

Yeah, that makes sense. The problem is mostly cultural.