PDA

View Full Version : Re: Wardriving...

Proton Soup
November 21st 04, 03:53 AM
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:26:13 GMT, Usenet Posting
> wrote:

>For those of you who don't know this is the practice of driving around
>and recording the SSIDs of the various wireless networks you find. I
>did this tonight and did a quick drive around the block and up and
>down one street. In about 10 minutes of driving I came across 54
>wireless networks, 35 unsecured and 25 of those with the default SSID
>(turn on router, plug in).
>
>I admit I had no idea this problem was so widespread. Wireless router
>companies really need to build in some default security.
>
>Note: I did not try to access any of these systems.

You sound like an old pro.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

spodosaurus
November 21st 04, 04:18 AM
Usenet Posting wrote:
> For those of you who don't know this is the practice of driving around
> and recording the SSIDs of the various wireless networks you find. I
> did this tonight and did a quick drive around the block and up and
> down one street. In about 10 minutes of driving I came across 54
> wireless networks, 35 unsecured and 25 of those with the default SSID
> (turn on router, plug in).
>
> I admit I had no idea this problem was so widespread. Wireless router
> companies really need to build in some default security.
>
> Note: I did not try to access any of these systems.
>

> --
> Senator Kerry did not approve this message

Thanks for reminding me to turn my SSID broadcast off now that I'm set
up with my MAC address access lists.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

User
November 21st 04, 04:29 AM
> I admit I had no idea this problem was so widespread. Wireless router
> companies really need to build in some default security.
>
> Note: I did not try to access any of these systems.

Start a security consulting company and print out a flyer on all of the
unsecured shared printers you find.

I've thought about it but figure I'd not get the reception I would hope
for...

Even in my small city there are a couple dozen wifi nets that aren't
secured.

aj
November 21st 04, 06:17 AM
On 2004-11-21, spodosaurus > wrote:
> Usenet Posting wrote:
>> For those of you who don't know this is the practice of driving around
>> and recording the SSIDs of the various wireless networks you find. I
>> did this tonight and did a quick drive around the block and up and
>> down one street. In about 10 minutes of driving I came across 54
>> wireless networks, 35 unsecured and 25 of those with the default SSID
>> (turn on router, plug in).
>>
>> I admit I had no idea this problem was so widespread. Wireless router
>> companies really need to build in some default security.
>>
>> Note: I did not try to access any of these systems.
>>

>> --
>> Senator Kerry did not approve this message
>
> Thanks for reminding me to turn my SSID broadcast off now that I'm set
> up with my MAC address access lists.

If you live in any but the most remote locales there are scores of
open 802.11 networks all around you. Or networks with the manufacturer's
default password left on them. Same thing.

Everyone uses them all the time. With a little script you can jump
networks as you drive and have uninterupted mobile connectivity (though
no sesssion ability unless you park or get clever).

What I'm trying to say is that you've got it all wrong. You leave your
wireless network totally unsecured (if firewalled from actual sensitive
data). The point being, when the MIB's come for you, you can
claim that allthough the nasty copyrighted illegal packets full of Dick
Cheney's monkey pr0n can be proved to have come through your network,
they were actually routed to some h4x0r. Because, you see, Mr. Secret
Service man, my network is always unsecured. Any kid could've walked by
with a laptop and done that.
--
-aj

DHW
November 22nd 04, 01:29 AM
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:26:13 GMT, Usenet Posting
> wrote:

>For those of you who don't know this is the practice of driving around
>and recording the SSIDs of the various wireless networks you find. I
>did this tonight and did a quick drive around the block and up and
>down one street. In about 10 minutes of driving I came across 54
>wireless networks, 35 unsecured and 25 of those with the default SSID
>(turn on router, plug in).
>
>I admit I had no idea this problem was so widespread. Wireless router
>companies really need to build in some default security.
>
>Note: I did not try to access any of these systems.
In addition to my wireless set-up I can access two others from my
living room. At least one has the default password (I was curious).
They're both Linksys boxes.

I've tried to find the neighbors with the open routers, but so far no
luck.

I've enabled WEP, disabled my SSID broadcast, and renamed my router
John_Kerry.
D. Wells

Remove the numbers to mail me. Include the text "gore-in-2004"
(without quotation marks) to ensure you make it past the spam filter.

spodosaurus
November 22nd 04, 10:43 AM
DHW wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:26:13 GMT, Usenet Posting
> > wrote:
>

>>For those of you who don't know this is the practice of driving around
>>and recording the SSIDs of the various wireless networks you find. I
>>did this tonight and did a quick drive around the block and up and
>>down one street. In about 10 minutes of driving I came across 54
>>wireless networks, 35 unsecured and 25 of those with the default SSID
>>(turn on router, plug in).
>>
>>I admit I had no idea this problem was so widespread. Wireless router
>>companies really need to build in some default security.
>>
>>Note: I did not try to access any of these systems.
>
> In addition to my wireless set-up I can access two others from my
> living room. At least one has the default password (I was curious).
> They're both Linksys boxes.
>
> I've tried to find the neighbors with the open routers, but so far no
> luck.
>
> I've enabled WEP, disabled my SSID broadcast, and renamed my router
> John_Kerry.
> D. Wells

Why not WPA-PSK instead of WEP?

> Remove the numbers to mail me. Include the text "gore-in-2004"
> (without quotation marks) to ensure you make it past the spam filter.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

DHW
November 22nd 04, 07:19 PM
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:43:07 +0800, spodosaurus
> wrote:

>DHW wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:26:13 GMT, Usenet Posting
>> > wrote:
>>

>> I've enabled WEP, disabled my SSID broadcast, and renamed my router
>> John_Kerry.
>> D. Wells
>
>Why not WPA-PSK instead of WEP?

I use Win2K. I know that Microsoft released a WPA upgrade for XP, but
I'm under the impression I'm out of luck unless I buy something to for
Win2K.

In any case, my home network isn't heavily utilized. I carry my
notebook back and forth from home and work. The PC that is plugged in
24/7 is a PVR (KnoppMyth) that connects three times a week to update
television listings.

There are enough wide open wireless connections in my area that I like
to think I'm note a good target for someone looking for free
bandwidth.

D. Wells

Remove the numbers to mail me. Include the text "gore-in-2004"
(without quotation marks) to ensure you make it past the spam filter.

aj
November 22nd 04, 07:43 PM
On 2004-11-22, spodosaurus > wrote:
> DHW wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:26:13 GMT, Usenet Posting
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>For those of you who don't know this is the practice of driving around
>>>and recording the SSIDs of the various wireless networks you find. I
>>>did this tonight and did a quick drive around the block and up and
>>>down one street. In about 10 minutes of driving I came across 54
>>>wireless networks, 35 unsecured and 25 of those with the default SSID
>>>(turn on router, plug in).
>>>
>>>I admit I had no idea this problem was so widespread. Wireless router
>>>companies really need to build in some default security.
>>>
>>>Note: I did not try to access any of these systems.
>>
>> In addition to my wireless set-up I can access two others from my
>> living room. At least one has the default password (I was curious).
>> They're both Linksys boxes.
>>
>> I've tried to find the neighbors with the open routers, but so far no
>> luck.
>>
>> I've enabled WEP, disabled my SSID broadcast, and renamed my router
>> John_Kerry.
>> D. Wells
>
> Why not WPA-PSK instead of WEP?
>

>> Remove the numbers to mail me. Include the text "gore-in-2004"
>> (without quotation marks) to ensure you make it past the spam filter.

Because the WEP space is so easy to force, you might be able to rely on
my "someone else did it" defence?

--
-aj

Lordy
November 26th 04, 11:49 AM
DHW > wrote in
:

> The PC that is plugged in
> 24/7 is a PVR (KnoppMyth) that connects three times a week to update
> television listings.

I'm toying with the idea of building one of these things. Do people use
modded XBoxs, shuttle cases or what?

--
Lordy

Lordy
November 26th 04, 11:52 AM
DZ > wrote in news:[email protected]
1498717897.770832314.22359.28291.11425:

>> Because the WEP space is so easy to force, you might be able to rely on
>> my "someone else did it" defence?
>
> Can't you always say "I secured my network just yesterday"?

Judging by recent cases showing the courts understanding of IT and the bank
balance of RIAA/MPAA (or equivalent for your country), DVD Jon, etc etc I
would hate to walk into court hoping to get away on a technological issue.

--
Lordy

spodosaurus
November 26th 04, 01:24 PM
DHW wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:43:07 +0800, spodosaurus
> > wrote:
>

>>DHW wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:26:13 GMT, Usenet Posting
> wrote:
>>>

>>>I've enabled WEP, disabled my SSID broadcast, and renamed my router
>>>John_Kerry.
>>>D. Wells
>>
>>Why not WPA-PSK instead of WEP?
>>

> I use Win2K. I know that Microsoft released a WPA upgrade for XP, but
> I'm under the impression I'm out of luck unless I buy something to for
> Win2K.

IIRC netgear makes it standard in their updated drivers for the WG311T
and later cards (perhaps earlier ones, too, but I'm not sure).

> In any case, my home network isn't heavily utilized. I carry my
> notebook back and forth from home and work. The PC that is plugged in
> 24/7 is a PVR (KnoppMyth) that connects three times a week to update
> television listings.
>
> There are enough wide open wireless connections in my area that I like
> to think I'm note a good target for someone looking for free
> bandwidth.
>
> D. Wells
>

> Remove the numbers to mail me. Include the text "gore-in-2004"
> (without quotation marks) to ensure you make it past the spam filter.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

DHW
November 29th 04, 04:56 AM

:

>> The PC that is plugged in
>> 24/7 is a PVR (KnoppMyth) that connects three times a week to update
>> television listings.
>
>I'm toying with the idea of building one of these things. Do people use
>modded XBoxs, shuttle cases or what?
I used an old PC with a 1.2 GHz processor and a Hauppage PVR 250 card.
KnoppMyth makes the install very easy.

There are some hardware items it works best with. Go to
http://www.mysettopbox.tv for better and more complete info.