PDA

View Full Version : HST revamped - Mass/Definition Workout - Opinions/Suggestions are appreciated.

Matt
November 21st 04, 10:38 PM
After speaking with people and getting back into the swing of this I have
been using the following excersise program every-other day with 2 days rest
squeezed in. Usually takes me 45mins - 1hour. Also going to start to do
either 1 or 2 days of 15-25 minutes cardio on off days, just to keep trim...

In order (2 sets of 6-9 reps) (one light warm up set with Bench and Press):

Bench - (on smith) alternating Incline and Flat - (switching to free
weights once i get my workout partner membership)
Leg Press - switching to Squats on Smith Machine once i get proper
format down from trainer or reliable source
Rows - sitting using cable
Dips
Pull Ups
Back - Bent over extension holding 10lb. weight (will soon swithc to
dead lift once i get someone to show me how)
Calf Raises
Abs

My question is am i missing and major muscle groups?
Back? Should i do some shoulder presses?
Chest? Is bench enough? or should i throw in machine fly's?
Bi's? Dumbells??
Tri's? Do the Dips hit and work the tri's enough?

Again my goal is definition and mass, aside from working out I am
attempting to stick to a good eating regimine.

Thanks! !!

-Matt

fj
November 22nd 04, 02:12 AM
"Matt" > wrote in message
> After speaking with people and getting back into the swing of this I have
> been using the following excersise program every-other day with 2 days
rest
> squeezed in. Usually takes me 45mins - 1hour. Also going to start to do
> either 1 or 2 days of 15-25 minutes cardio on off days, just to keep
trim...

> In order (2 sets of 6-9 reps) (one light warm up set with Bench and
Press):

> Bench - (on smith) alternating Incline and Flat - (switching to free
> weights once i get my workout partner membership)
> Leg Press - switching to Squats on Smith Machine once i get proper
> format down from trainer or reliable source
> Rows - sitting using cable
> Dips
> Pull Ups
> Back - Bent over extension holding 10lb. weight (will soon swithc to
> dead lift once i get someone to show me how)
> Calf Raises
> Abs
>
> My question is am i missing and major muscle groups?
> Back? Should i do some shoulder presses?
> Chest? Is bench enough? or should i throw in machine fly's?
> Bi's? Dumbells??
> Tri's? Do the Dips hit and work the tri's enough?
>
> Again my goal is definition and mass, aside from working out I am
> attempting to stick to a good eating regimine.
>
> Thanks! !!
>
> -Matt

HST decrease reps in every 2 weeks. Are you saying you do 6-9 reps all the
time?

You can add Bicep and Tricep. It won't take long.

-fj

Matt
November 22nd 04, 02:23 AM
I'm not really sticking to the HST exactly, i am doing there recommended
exercises, but not the increase / decrease every 2 weeks in weight and
reps..

"fj" > wrote in message

> "Matt" > wrote in message
>> After speaking with people and getting back into the swing of this I have
>> been using the following excersise program every-other day with 2 days
> rest
>> squeezed in. Usually takes me 45mins - 1hour. Also going to start to do
>> either 1 or 2 days of 15-25 minutes cardio on off days, just to keep
> trim...
>>
>> In order (2 sets of 6-9 reps) (one light warm up set with Bench and
> Press):
>>
>> Bench - (on smith) alternating Incline and Flat - (switching to free
>> weights once i get my workout partner membership)
>> Leg Press - switching to Squats on Smith Machine once i get proper
>> format down from trainer or reliable source
>> Rows - sitting using cable
>> Dips
>> Pull Ups
>> Back - Bent over extension holding 10lb. weight (will soon swithc to
>> dead lift once i get someone to show me how)
>> Calf Raises
>> Abs
>>
>> My question is am i missing and major muscle groups?
>> Back? Should i do some shoulder presses?
>> Chest? Is bench enough? or should i throw in machine fly's?
>> Bi's? Dumbells??
>> Tri's? Do the Dips hit and work the tri's enough?
>>
>> Again my goal is definition and mass, aside from working out I am
>> attempting to stick to a good eating regimine.
>>
>> Thanks! !!
>>
>> -Matt
>>

> HST decrease reps in every 2 weeks. Are you saying you do 6-9 reps all the
> time?
>
> You can add Bicep and Tricep. It won't take long.
>
> -fj

aj
November 22nd 04, 03:37 AM
On 2004-11-22, Matt > wrote:
> I'm not really sticking to the HST exactly, i am doing there recommended
> exercises, but not the increase / decrease every 2 weeks in weight and
> reps..

In other words, you're throwing out the important part that makes the
system work and you're only paying attention the the trivial
examples.

Are you illiterate or just stupid?

--
-aj

Lyle McDonald
November 22nd 04, 03:40 AM
aj wrote:

> On 2004-11-22, Matt > wrote:
>
>>I'm not really sticking to the HST exactly, i am doing there recommended
>>exercises, but not the increase / decrease every 2 weeks in weight and
>>reps..
>

> In other words, you're throwing out the important part that makes the
> system work and you're only paying attention the the trivial
> examples.
>
> Are you illiterate or just stupid?

He's just like every other dip**** in the world who says "I'm going to
do HST but I'm going to change everything about it."

Lyle

Keith Hobman
November 22nd 04, 04:14 AM
In article >, Lyle McDonald
> wrote:

> aj wrote:
>
> > On 2004-11-22, Matt > wrote:
> >
> >>I'm not really sticking to the HST exactly, i am doing there recommended
> >>exercises, but not the increase / decrease every 2 weeks in weight and
> >>reps..
> >

> > In other words, you're throwing out the important part that makes the
> > system work and you're only paying attention the the trivial
> > examples.
> >
> > Are you illiterate or just stupid?
> >
> He's just like every other dip**** in the world who says "I'm going to
> do HST but I'm going to change everything about it."

And then reports back in a month or so that HST (or Westside or Sheiko or
whatever) doesn't work for him.

Adam Fahy
November 22nd 04, 06:45 AM
Matt wrote:

> I'm not really sticking to the HST exactly, i am doing there recommended
> exercises, but not the increase / decrease every 2 weeks in weight and
> reps..

How do you intend to keep progressing at high frequency, w/o doing
something to manipulate the intensity/fatigue requirements of those
workouts?

-Adam

Matt
November 22nd 04, 12:12 PM
What i should have said was "I don't want to follow the HST exactly, this is
the excersises that i'm doing, are they hitting the major muscle groups
and/or should I add something different?"

I"m sure that you will get results even though your not doing the weight /
rep variations, maybe it will just take longer.

Bench - (on smith) alternating Incline and Flat - (switching to free
weights once i get my workout partner membership)
Leg Press - switching to Squats on Smith Machine once i get proper
format down from trainer or reliable source
Rows - sitting using cable
Dips
Pull Ups
Back - Bent over extension holding 10lb. weight (will soon swithc to
dead lift once i get someone to show me how)
Calf Raises
Abs

My question is am i missing and major muscle groups?
Back? Should i do some shoulder presses?
Chest? Is bench enough? or should i throw in machine fly's?
Bi's? Dumbells??
Tri's? Do the Dips hit and work the tri's enough?

"Adam Fahy" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Matt wrote:
>
>> I'm not really sticking to the HST exactly, i am doing there recommended
>> exercises, but not the increase / decrease every 2 weeks in weight and
>> reps..
>
> How do you intend to keep progressing at high frequency, w/o doing
> something to manipulate the intensity/fatigue requirements of those
> workouts?
>

> -Adam

Jay
November 22nd 04, 03:02 PM
"Matt" > wrote in message
> I'm not really sticking to the HST exactly, i am doing there recommended
> exercises, but not the increase / decrease every 2 weeks in weight and
> reps..

You ought to.

> "fj" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Matt" > wrote in message
>>> After speaking with people and getting back into the swing of this I
>>> have
>>> been using the following excersise program every-other day with 2 days
>> rest
>>> squeezed in. Usually takes me 45mins - 1hour. Also going to start to
>>> do
>>> either 1 or 2 days of 15-25 minutes cardio on off days, just to keep
>> trim...
>>>
>>> In order (2 sets of 6-9 reps) (one light warm up set with Bench and
>> Press):
>>>
>>> Bench - (on smith) alternating Incline and Flat - (switching to free
>>> weights once i get my workout partner membership)
>>> Leg Press - switching to Squats on Smith Machine once i get proper
>>> format down from trainer or reliable source
>>> Rows - sitting using cable
>>> Dips
>>> Pull Ups
>>> Back - Bent over extension holding 10lb. weight (will soon swithc to
>>> dead lift once i get someone to show me how)
>>> Calf Raises
>>> Abs
>>>
>>> My question is am i missing and major muscle groups?
>>> Back? Should i do some shoulder presses?
>>> Chest? Is bench enough? or should i throw in machine fly's?
>>> Bi's? Dumbells??
>>> Tri's? Do the Dips hit and work the tri's enough?
>>>
>>> Again my goal is definition and mass, aside from working out I am
>>> attempting to stick to a good eating regimine.
>>>
>>> Thanks! !!
>>>
>>> -Matt
>>>

>> HST decrease reps in every 2 weeks. Are you saying you do 6-9 reps all
>> the
>> time?
>>
>> You can add Bicep and Tricep. It won't take long.
>>
>> -fj

fj
November 22nd 04, 06:17 PM
"Matt" > wrote in message
> What i should have said was "I don't want to follow the HST exactly, this
is
> the excersises that i'm doing, are they hitting the major muscle groups
> and/or should I add something different?"
>
> I"m sure that you will get results even though your not doing the weight /
> rep variations, maybe it will just take longer.
>
> Bench - (on smith) alternating Incline and Flat - (switching to free
> weights once i get my workout partner membership)
> Leg Press - switching to Squats on Smith Machine once i get proper
> format down from trainer or reliable source
> Rows - sitting using cable
> Dips
> Pull Ups
> Back - Bent over extension holding 10lb. weight (will soon swithc to
> dead lift once i get someone to show me how)
> Calf Raises
> Abs
>
> My question is am i missing and major muscle groups?
> Back? Should i do some shoulder presses?
> Chest? Is bench enough? or should i throw in machine fly's?
> Bi's? Dumbells??
> Tri's? Do the Dips hit and work the tri's enough?
>

> "Adam Fahy" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Matt wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not really sticking to the HST exactly, i am doing there
recommended
> >> exercises, but not the increase / decrease every 2 weeks in weight and
> >> reps..
> >
> > How do you intend to keep progressing at high frequency, w/o doing
> > something to manipulate the intensity/fatigue requirements of those
> > workouts?
> >

> > -Adam

I think your routine pretty much cover all the major muscle groups. Those
exercises you choose are good compund exercises. I would suggest not to use
smith machine, instead, use lighter weight and free weight, for squat and
bench.

You can add small isolated exercises to do shoulder and arms. You better
keep total working sets around 15-20, my experience though.

Why not give HST a fair try? I am starting the second cycle and very happy
about the result. The only thing I can complain about HST is 2-weeks'
negatives. I couldn't do it by myself so I change to 5-reps.

-fj

aj
November 22nd 04, 08:28 PM
On 2004-11-22, Matt > wrote:
> What i should have said was "I don't want to follow the HST exactly, this is
> the excersises that i'm doing, are they hitting the major muscle groups
> and/or should I add something different?"
>
> I"m sure that you will get results even though your not doing the weight /
> rep variations, maybe it will just take longer.

Hi, I found this really effective program. I'm seeing results like
crazy. Do you guys have any suggestions about how I can slow this
progress down? Maybe make it go a little slower, take a little longer?

Having people come up to me in the gym to ask me all those questions is
very distracting. Maybe if I looked like more of a 'tard they'd stay
away.

Also, If acheive my goals too quickly I'll have nothing to do.

TIA.

--
-aj

aj
November 22nd 04, 08:35 PM
On 2004-11-22, aj > wrote:
> On 2004-11-22, Matt > wrote:
>> What i should have said was "I don't want to follow the HST exactly, this is
>> the excersises that i'm doing, are they hitting the major muscle groups
>> and/or should I add something different?"
>>
>> I"m sure that you will get results even though your not doing the weight /
>> rep variations, maybe it will just take longer.
>
> Hi, I found this really effective program. I'm seeing results like
> crazy. Do you guys have any suggestions about how I can slow this
> progress down? Maybe make it go a little slower, take a little longer?
>
> Having people come up to me in the gym to ask me all those questions is
> very distracting. Maybe if I looked like more of a 'tard they'd stay
> away.
>
> Also, If acheive my goals too quickly I'll have nothing to do.
>
> TIA.
>

>> Bench - (on smith) alternating Incline and Flat - (switching to free
>> weights once i get my workout partner membership)
>> Leg Press - switching to Squats on Smith Machine once i get proper
>> format down from trainer or reliable source
>> Rows - sitting using cable
>> Dips
>> Pull Ups
>> Back - Bent over extension holding 10lb. weight (will soon swithc to
>> dead lift once i get someone to show me how)
>> Calf Raises
>> Abs
>>
>> My question is am i missing and major muscle groups?
>> Back? Should i do some shoulder presses?
>> Chest? Is bench enough? or should i throw in machine fly's?
>> Bi's? Dumbells??
>> Tri's? Do the Dips hit and work the tri's enough?
>>
>> "Adam Fahy" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]

>>> How do you intend to keep progressing at high frequency, w/o doing
>>> something to manipulate the intensity/fatigue requirements of those
>>> workouts?
>>>

>>> -Adam

Your excersise selection is fine, Matt. Its actually, very good IMO.

Stop top posting.

--
-aj

TToommLL
November 23rd 04, 12:08 AM
"Matt"
>What i should have said was "I don't want to follow the HST exactly, this is
>the excersises that i'm doing, are they hitting the major muscle groups
>and/or should I add something different?"
>
>I"m sure that you will get results even though your not doing the weight /
>rep variations, maybe it will just take longer.

Sure, if you are new to all this, then just take your time and get to know
the equipment and the excersises. No rush. But that's not what HST
is all about. HST is just distracting and confusing you at this point.

> Bench - (on smith) alternating Incline and Flat - (switching to free
>weights once i get my workout partner membership)
> Leg Press - switching to Squats on Smith Machine once i get proper
>format down from trainer or reliable source
> Rows - sitting using cable
> Dips
> Pull Ups
> Back - Bent over extension holding 10lb. weight (will soon swithc to
>dead lift once i get someone to show me how)
> Calf Raises
> Abs

Thirty years ago you could have gotten a set of plastic weights from
Sears and it would have included a manual with your exact routine.
This has nothing to do with HST. HST is to bodybuilding what modern
astronomy is to a culture of sailors who believe the sun revolves
around the earth. You seem focused on the boat and cargo. If you
need to get that sorted out, fine. But don't worry about HST at the
moment, because...

Here's an example of an HST routine:
Do one set of 10 pushups, but don't go all the way down to the floor,
just bend the elbows half way or less. 36 hours later, do another
set of ten, but this time bend the elbows just a little bit more. Repeat
every 36 hours, 10 reps, bending the elbows more and going lower
each time.

Here is a typical Flat Earth routine:
Do 3 sets each of squat, bench, and pullups, M W F. Start out with
5 reps and add one rep each workout until you get to 15 reps. Then
add weight and start over again with 5 reps. After 3 months change
the excersises to surprise the muscle and stimulate growth.
Okay, this will work. It's ignorant, but it has worked for millions of guys
for a hundred years.

Here is a Caveman routine:
Lift rock 6 times. Rest 3 days, then lift rock 6 times, rest one minute
and then lift 6 times again. Repeat every 4 days until you can do
6 sets, then find a bigger rock. Oh, and be sure to change the
excersise every 3 months to surprise the muscle and stimulate growth.
This has worked for gosh I don't know how long. It is not the optimal
way to grow muscle fiber, but it might be better for certain effects
than an optimal HST routine.

If you don't understand why this is, then my advice to you is
to do one of the following:
1) Follow the exact routine at the HST website.
2) Reread every word at the site until you understand the concepts.
3) Ignore HST until you get a handle on the basics of weight lifting.

Tom

TToommLL
November 23rd 04, 09:07 AM
TToommLL wrote;
> [...]
>for a hundred years.
>
>Here is a Caveman routine:
>Lift rock 6 times. Rest 3 days, then lift rock 6 times, rest one minute
>and then lift 6 times again. Repeat every 4 days until you can do
>6 sets, then find a bigger rock. Oh, and be sure to change the
>excersise every 3 months to surprise the muscle and stimulate growth.
>This has worked for gosh I don't know how long. It is not the optimal
>way to grow muscle fiber, but it might be better for certain effects
>than an optimal HST routine.
>
>If you don't understand why this is, then my advice to you is
>to do one of the following:
>1) Follow the exact routine at the HST website.
>2) Reread every word at the site until you understand the concepts.
>3) Ignore HST until you get a handle on the basics of weight lifting.

Matt, from the email you sent me, it appears that you have completely
missed my point, and that I have only confused you further. I'm sorry
about that. I never meant for you to use the "Flat Earth" routine. It was
just a satirical example of common misconceptions of the past, that
HST has helped clarify. I was using exaggeration and humor to get
the point across that HST is not about weight lifting. HST is more a
subset of the study of biology. It presents some good insight into the
problems and mysteries that have plagued bodybuilders, and I wish I
had known about it thirty years ago, but you don't need it to get started.
Please don't use the routines I described in my post. I'm convinced you
should find someone to help show you how to do the various exercises
properly and safely. Good luck and have fun.

Tom