PDA

View Full Version : possible overtrain scenario?

OceanGroove
November 22nd 04, 05:27 AM
I'm wondering if its possible to "overtrain" with the following
schedule:

- (mon/tues/fri) weight train (chest/tri, back/bi, shoulder/leg)
- (mon/thur/sun) competitive volleyball
- (3 days/vary each week) train in martial arts

I know pro athletes weight train and play sports so I'm not to worried
about that aspect. My main concern is that the martials arts classes
do about a 20-30 minute "warmup" which consists of stuff like 75
pushups, 50 squats, 100 situps, etc. I don't mind doing the "warmsups"
but is doing say 75 pushups the day after a chest day in the gym going
to overtrain?

Peter Allen
November 22nd 04, 10:12 AM
"OceanGroove" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm wondering if its possible to "overtrain" with the following
> schedule:
>
> - (mon/tues/fri) weight train (chest/tri, back/bi, shoulder/leg)
> - (mon/thur/sun) competitive volleyball
> - (3 days/vary each week) train in martial arts
>
> I know pro athletes weight train and play sports so I'm not to worried
> about that aspect. My main concern is that the martials arts classes
> do about a 20-30 minute "warmup" which consists of stuff like 75
> pushups, 50 squats, 100 situps, etc. I don't mind doing the "warmsups"
> but is doing say 75 pushups the day after a chest day in the gym going
> to overtrain?

It depends on what you're doing.

It is possible to do six hours a day seven days a week of cardio work
without overtraining (pro cyclists winter training). It is also possible to
do half an hour five days a week and get overtrained (possibly UL,
supposedly a medium-decent rower who had a work crisis and tried to keep
fitness up by doing what he could - which was a flat-out half hour every
weekday evening). The difference is how hard you're working.

You'll know if you're actually overtrained - if your lifts in the gym get
harder or even go down and stay poor for a few days, then you're probably
overtrained (or ill); if you feel constantly tired _and_ your athletic
performance drops, then you're probably overtrained (or ill).

If you find you're getting overtrained, take a few days off, then go back to
doing what you were doing, but tone it down, find things to cut out to
reduce the overall workload.

Peter

OceanGroove
November 22nd 04, 04:29 PM
Where are all the experts? Need expert advice please chime in :)

> I'm wondering if its possible to "overtrain" with the following
> schedule:
>
> - (mon/tues/fri) weight train (chest/tri, back/bi, shoulder/leg)
> - (mon/thur/sun) competitive volleyball
> - (3 days/vary each week) train in martial arts
>
> I know pro athletes weight train and play sports so I'm not to worried
> about that aspect. My main concern is that the martials arts classes
> do about a 20-30 minute "warmup" which consists of stuff like 75
> pushups, 50 squats, 100 situps, etc. I don't mind doing the "warmsups"
> but is doing say 75 pushups the day after a chest day in the gym going
> to overtrain?

Per Elmsäter
November 22nd 04, 06:12 PM
OceanGroove wrote:
> Where are all the experts? Need expert advice please chime in :)

Don't worry I'm here.
When sailing we say that it's time to reef the sails as soon as you start
wondering if it's time to reef the sails.
I believe overtraining is the same or you wouldn't be wondering about it.

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.