PDA

View Full Version : SLDLs and safety


Rob Andrews
November 22nd 04, 08:31 AM
I've been squatting for about two months, and am now adding the stiff-legged
deadlift to my workout. I've been working on my form with just the bar and
am pretty confident I'm getting it right. I'm not rounding my back, am only
going as low as I can keeping the back right (which turns out to be only
around knee-level), and am keeping the movement smooth with no bounce at the
bottom.

However, looking through the MFW archives, it seems there's some controversy
as to whether SLDLs are safe or not. Is this one of those things, like
squats, where it's dangerous if your form is poor, or is it more like leg
extensions, say, where the exercise itself is maybe kind of questionable?

Thanks!

Rob.

Jim Ranieri
November 22nd 04, 01:42 PM
"Rob Andrews" > wrote in message
...
> I've been squatting for about two months, and am now adding the
stiff-legged
> deadlift to my workout. I've been working on my form with just the bar and
> am pretty confident I'm getting it right. I'm not rounding my back, am
only
> going as low as I can keeping the back right (which turns out to be only
> around knee-level), and am keeping the movement smooth with no bounce at
the
> bottom.
>
> However, looking through the MFW archives, it seems there's some
controversy
> as to whether SLDLs are safe or not. Is this one of those things, like
> squats, where it's dangerous if your form is poor, or is it more like leg
> extensions, say, where the exercise itself is maybe kind of questionable?
>

With a flat back, slight bend in the knee and keeping the weight close to
your body - I don't think it's an inherently dangerous exercise.

gman99
November 22nd 04, 01:59 PM
>
> With a flat back, slight bend in the knee and keeping the weight close to
> your body - I don't think it's an inherently dangerous exercise.

Pardon me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a slight bend in the knee change the
focus of the movement ?? It your knee is bent it is no longer an SLDL...is
it ?? Isn't locking out the knee important ??

Steve Freides
November 22nd 04, 02:33 PM
"gman99" > wrote in message
...
> >
>> With a flat back, slight bend in the knee and keeping the weight
>> close to
>> your body - I don't think it's an inherently dangerous exercise.
>
> Pardon me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a slight bend in the knee change
> the
> focus of the movement ?? It your knee is bent it is no longer an
> SLDL...is
> it ?? Isn't locking out the knee important ??

Many people will put unnecessary strain on the connective tissue at the
back of the knee if they keep it locked - has to do with how each of us
is built, not an issue for some people, bothers me more on one side than
the other, go figure. A _slight_ break in the knee doesn't change the
focus of the exercise and you'll feel it in the hamstring instead of the
back of the knee, which is what you want. Ditto good morning type
stretches, which I like to do with a not-quite-locked knee as well.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Jim Ranieri
November 22nd 04, 02:40 PM
"gman99" > wrote in message
...
> >
> > With a flat back, slight bend in the knee and keeping the weight close
to
> > your body - I don't think it's an inherently dangerous exercise.
>
> Pardon me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a slight bend in the knee change the
> focus of the movement ?? It your knee is bent it is no longer an SLDL...is
> it ?? Isn't locking out the knee important ??

There are Straight Legged and Stiff Legged, the latter being safer IMO.

Rob Andrews
November 22nd 04, 03:54 PM
> There are Straight Legged and Stiff Legged, the latter being safer IMO.
>
>

Yeah, I've been doing stiff-legged, it's a bit harder to get the movement
exactly right (and keep the quads from becoming involved), but it hits the
hams and glutes just the same. I certainly feel better doing stiff rather
than straight.

Rob.

Rob Andrews
November 22nd 04, 03:56 PM
A related question on this topic: when doing SLDLs, I feel something on the
inside-front of the thigh, as though the adductors and/or medial quad are
getting involved a little. Does that sounds wrong?

Rob.

Dan L.
November 23rd 04, 01:21 AM
"Rob Andrews" > wrote in message >...
> A related question on this topic: when doing SLDLs, I feel something on the
> inside-front of the thigh, as though the adductors and/or medial quad are
> getting involved a little. Does that sounds wrong?
>
> Rob.


I also had a related question. Exrx.net says that the stance for an
SLDL should be "shoulder width or narrower." I had always been under
the impression that the SLDL stance should be *very* narrow, like with
maybe only a few inches separating the feet. Does anyone have any
thoughts on what difference the stance makes in the SLDL case, and
which kind is safer, more productive, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Jeff Finlayson
November 23rd 04, 06:13 AM
Dan L. wrote:
> Rob Andrews wrote:
>
>>A related question on this topic: when doing SLDLs, I feel something on the
>>inside-front of the thigh, as though the adductors and/or medial quad are
>>getting involved a little. Does that sounds wrong?

From straightening the legs out at the top or what?

> I also had a related question. Exrx.net says that the stance for an
> SLDL should be "shoulder width or narrower." I had always been under
> the impression that the SLDL stance should be *very* narrow, like with
> maybe only a few inches separating the feet. Does anyone have any
> thoughts on what difference the stance makes in the SLDL case, and
> which kind is safer, more productive, etc.?

Balance won't be as good with a very narrow stance, say the feet
touching.

Mistress Krista
November 28th 04, 05:03 PM
"Rob Andrews" > wrote in message
...
> I've been squatting for about two months, and am now adding the
> stiff-legged deadlift to my workout. I've been working on my form with
> just the bar and am pretty confident I'm getting it right. I'm not
> rounding my back, am only going as low as I can keeping the back right
> (which turns out to be only around knee-level), and am keeping the
> movement smooth with no bounce at the bottom.
>
> However, looking through the MFW archives, it seems there's some
> controversy as to whether SLDLs are safe or not. Is this one of those
> things, like squats, where it's dangerous if your form is poor, or is it
> more like leg extensions, say, where the exercise itself is maybe kind of
> questionable?
>


No exercise is 100% safe and all activity carries a risk. The SLDL would
probably be in a category of exercises with a slightly higher risk, though,
given its biomechanics. Proper technique is essential, and in my opinion,
this isn't an exercise for testing your max.

Thanks to being a retard with a too-heavy SLDL at the end of a long workout,
when my low back was fatigued, I gave myself a low back sprain that has had
a permanent impact on my overall state of lumbar health. Don't mean to
scare you - just mean to point out that this is an exercise that demands
respect and caution. I might even suggest a Romanian DL as an alternative,
but I ain't your momma. Sounds like you're on the right track.


Krista

--
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
http://www.trans-health.com
mistresskrista at stumptuous dot com