PDA

View Full Version : 2 fish oil (DHA/EPA) questions

Lampi
November 22nd 04, 03:51 PM
1. My friend is allergic to deepwater oily fish (ie. salmon, not tuna),
and wants to give the oils a try to see if it helps her Crohn's. Does
anybody have any experience with how this allergy translates to oil
consumption (I'm not sure what the allergen is).

2. Where are you buying your oils now (part. online), and what brand? I
would think that a higher concentration would be better for her.

Thanks,

Mark

Lyle McDonald
November 22nd 04, 04:02 PM
Lampi wrote:
> 1. My friend is allergic to deepwater oily fish (ie. salmon, not tuna),
> and wants to give the oils a try to see if it helps her Crohn's. Does
> anybody have any experience with how this allergy translates to oil
> consumption (I'm not sure what the allergen is).

I think the latter determines whether or not supplemental oils will be
ok or not, what she's actually allergic to. Without knowing that, I
don't think there's any way to for anyone to say.

> 2. Where are you buying your oils now (part. online), and what brand? I
> would think that a higher concentration would be better for her.

When you do a cost comparison, the double concentration caps end up
being about double the cost of the normal concentration so there's no
real benefit monetarily, you simply have to swallow less capsules per day.

Lyle

Lampi
November 22nd 04, 04:14 PM
Lyle McDonald wrote:
> Lampi wrote:
>
>> 1. My friend is allergic to deepwater oily fish (ie. salmon, not
>> tuna), and wants to give the oils a try to see if it helps her
>> Crohn's. Does anybody have any experience with how this allergy
>> translates to oil consumption (I'm not sure what the allergen is).
>

> I think the latter determines whether or not supplemental oils will be
> ok or not, what she's actually allergic to. Without knowing that, I
> don't think there's any way to for anyone to say.
>

>> 2. Where are you buying your oils now (part. online), and what brand?
>> I would think that a higher concentration would be better for her.
>

> When you do a cost comparison, the double concentration caps end up
> being about double the cost of the normal concentration so there's no
> real benefit monetarily, you simply have to swallow less capsules per day.
>
> Lyle

Yeah, I figured that, but thought it might be a benefit in terms of less
total oil consumption.

Any brand suggestions Lyle?

Thanks,

Mark

Lampi
November 22nd 04, 04:22 PM
>> When you do a cost comparison, the double concentration caps end up
>> being about double the cost of the normal concentration so there's no
>> real benefit monetarily, you simply have to swallow less capsules per
>> day.
>>
>> Lyle
>>
> Yeah, I figured that, but thought it might be a benefit in terms of less
> total oil consumption.
>
> Any brand suggestions Lyle?

I ask, because I remember there was one with something on the order of
1000 mg/800 mg EPA/DHA. This was a couple of years ago though, and I
can't track down the same brand anywhere. I think it was called SUPER
EFA or something like that...

David Cohen
November 22nd 04, 04:58 PM
"Lampi" > wrote in message

>>> When you do a cost comparison, the double concentration caps end up
>>> being about double the cost of the normal concentration so there's no
>>> real benefit monetarily, you simply have to swallow less capsules per
>>> day.
>>>
>>> Lyle
>>>
>> Yeah, I figured that, but thought it might be a benefit in terms of less
>> total oil consumption.
>>
>> Any brand suggestions Lyle?
>>

> I ask, because I remember there was one with something on the order of
> 1000 mg/800 mg EPA/DHA. This was a couple of years ago though, and I can't
> track down the same brand anywhere. I think it was called SUPER EFA or
> something like that...

www.lef.org sells the highest quality supplements. The allergen is not
likely in the oil portion of the fish, but there may be enough allergen in
natural source fish oil to be a problem. Although not exactly equivilant,
flax seed oil would be a safe alternative source of EFAs.

David

Per Elmsäter
November 22nd 04, 05:03 PM
David Cohen wrote:
> Although not
> exactly equivilant, flax seed oil would be a safe alternative source
> of EFAs.

As far as I've understood.
Flax seed oil, Rape seed oil and Olive oil, combined together give you
everything you need as far as EFA.

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Lampi
November 22nd 04, 05:05 PM
Per Elmsäter wrote:
> David Cohen wrote:
>
>>Although not
>>exactly equivilant, flax seed oil would be a safe alternative source
>>of EFAs.
>>

> As far as I've understood.
> Flax seed oil, Rape seed oil and Olive oil, combined together give you
> everything you need as far as EFA.

I thought that although they had linolenic and linoleic, EPA/DHA were
not present in adequate quantities.

Lyle McDonald
November 22nd 04, 05:10 PM
Per Elmsäter wrote:
> David Cohen wrote:
>
>>Although not
>>exactly equivilant, flax seed oil would be a safe alternative source
>>of EFAs.
>>

> As far as I've understood.
> Flax seed oil, Rape seed oil and Olive oil, combined together give you
> everything you need as far as EFA.

the problem is that humans don't convert ALA to EPA/DHA very well at
all. Better, in general to take preformed fish oils. Even moreso if
you're trying to use high dose to control an inflammatory condition like
Chrohn's.

Also, few people need to worry about getting sufficient w-6, plenty in
our food supply.

and the w-9 in olive oil, while beneficial for health, is not an EFA.

Lyle

Lyle McDonald
November 22nd 04, 05:11 PM
Lampi wrote:

> Lyle McDonald wrote:
>
>> Lampi wrote:
>>
>>> 1. My friend is allergic to deepwater oily fish (ie. salmon, not
>>> tuna), and wants to give the oils a try to see if it helps her
>>> Crohn's. Does anybody have any experience with how this allergy
>>> translates to oil consumption (I'm not sure what the allergen is).
>>

>> I think the latter determines whether or not supplemental oils will be
>> ok or not, what she's actually allergic to. Without knowing that, I
>> don't think there's any way to for anyone to say.
>>

>>> 2. Where are you buying your oils now (part. online), and what brand?
>>> I would think that a higher concentration would be better for her.
>>

>> When you do a cost comparison, the double concentration caps end up
>> being about double the cost of the normal concentration so there's no
>> real benefit monetarily, you simply have to swallow less capsules per
>> day.
>>
>> Lyle
>>
> Yeah, I figured that, but thought it might be a benefit in terms of less
> total oil consumption.
>
> Any brand suggestions Lyle?

I personally usually use NOW brand, except that I can't find it in this
******** of a city. So I'm stuck using the GNC brand for the time being.

Lyle

Lee Michaels
November 22nd 04, 05:17 PM
"Lyle McDonald" wrote

> I personally usually use NOW brand, except that I can't find it in this
> ******** of a city. So I'm stuck using the GNC brand for the time being.

Doncha know Lyle?

A substantial number of MLM companies are Mormon owned and operated. And
have corporate headquaters in your neck of the woods.

All you have to do is ask around. You too can become a distrubutor in
somebody's downline. And gain the ability to buy nutritional products at
three to five times the usual cost.

Aren't you lucky?

BWAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA....

Lyle McDonald
November 22nd 04, 10:42 PM
Lee Michaels wrote:

> "Lyle McDonald" wrote
>
>>I personally usually use NOW brand, except that I can't find it in this
>>******** of a city. So I'm stuck using the GNC brand for the time being.
>>

> Doncha know Lyle?
>
> A substantial number of MLM companies are Mormon owned and operated.

Makes sense: anyone gullible enough to fall for the total line of
bull**** that Smith fed the Mormons would fall for an MLM scam.

Gold plates indeed.

Lyle

00doc
November 23rd 04, 12:09 AM
Lampi > wrote in message >...
> 1. My friend is allergic to deepwater oily fish (ie. salmon, not tuna),
> and wants to give the oils a try to see if it helps her Crohn's. Does
> anybody have any experience with how this allergy translates to oil
> consumption (I'm not sure what the allergen is).

God! This is killing me to post - I never thought I would voluntarily
post a link to Weil - but he does seem to give a good answer that has
no obvious flaws I can see.

In short - if your friend is allergic to fish he should avoid fish
oil. It is just not worth the potential benefit. Weil suggests flax
seed oil as an alterntive source which seems like a good idea.

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA244327/

Here is a better reference:

http://www.ironmagazine.com/archive/Essential_Fatty_Acids.htm

> 2. Where are you buying your oils now (part. online), and what brand? I
> would think that a higher concentration would be better for her.

I get mine at Sam's club. I don't know of any studies specifically on
fish oil but most studies on supplements usually show that paying sky
high prices for premium products usually isn't worth it. Of course, if
you find a deal in the Internet that seems to good to be true...

In this study from the New England Journal of Medicine they used about
3 grams per day and got a good result (most tabs are about 1 gram =
1000mg).

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/334/24/1557

--
00doc

Steve Freides
November 23rd 04, 03:29 AM
"Lampi" > wrote in message
> 1. My friend is allergic to deepwater oily fish (ie. salmon, not
> tuna), and wants to give the oils a try to see if it helps her
> Crohn's. Does anybody have any experience with how this allergy
> translates to oil consumption (I'm not sure what the allergen is).
>
> 2. Where are you buying your oils now (part. online), and what brand?
> I would think that a higher concentration would be better for her.

Sounds like Udo's might work - I don't believe there's any fish oil in
it - if there is, I don't know how to recognize it in what's below.
From Udo's web site:

http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend.htm

Udo's Choice (Certified Organic)
Perfected 3, 6, 9 Oil Blend Ingredients:
organic flax seed oil;
organic sunflower seed oil;
organic sesame seed oil;
rice and oat germ oils;
medium chain triglycerides (MCTs);
organic evening primrose oil;
lecithin (guaranteed GMO-free);
vitamin E;
antioxidants (tocotrienols); and
rosemary oil.

Naturally Occurring "Minor Ingredients":
65mg of phytosterols/tablespoon (lower cholesterol and normalize immune
function);
lignans (beneficial phytoestrogens from flax);
carotene; and
tocotrienols and other seed specific antioxidants.
hundreds of other oil-soluble, health-benefiting phytonutrients

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Per Elmsäter
November 23rd 04, 11:55 AM
Lyle McDonald wrote:
> Per Elmsäter wrote:
>> David Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> Although not
>>> exactly equivilant, flax seed oil would be a safe alternative source
>>> of EFAs.
>>>

>> As far as I've understood.
>> Flax seed oil, Rape seed oil and Olive oil, combined together give
>> you everything you need as far as EFA.
>
> the problem is that humans don't convert ALA to EPA/DHA very well at
> all. Better, in general to take preformed fish oils. Even moreso if
> you're trying to use high dose to control an inflammatory condition
> like Chrohn's.
>
> Also, few people need to worry about getting sufficient w-6, plenty in
> our food supply.
>
> and the w-9 in olive oil, while beneficial for health, is not an EFA.
>
> Lyle

You're getting way to technical for me now ;) So let's just see what I've
got straight and where I'm off.

EFA is Essential Fatty Acids! Right.
What is w-6 and w-9?
Omega 3 is an EFA? Yes No?
Omega 3 can be had from Fish Oil, Olive Oil, Rape Seed Oil and Flax Sees
Oil. Right.

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Lyle McDonald
November 23rd 04, 04:12 PM
Per Elmsäter wrote:

> Lyle McDonald wrote:
>
>>Per Elmsäter wrote:

>>>As far as I've understood.
>>>Flax seed oil, Rape seed oil and Olive oil, combined together give
>>>you everything you need as far as EFA.
>>
>>the problem is that humans don't convert ALA to EPA/DHA very well at
>>all. Better, in general to take preformed fish oils. Even moreso if
>>you're trying to use high dose to control an inflammatory condition
>>like Chrohn's.
>>
>>Also, few people need to worry about getting sufficient w-6, plenty in
>>our food supply.
>>
>>and the w-9 in olive oil, while beneficial for health, is not an EFA.
>>
>>Lyle
>

> You're getting way to technical for me now ;) So let's just see what I've
> got straight and where I'm off.
>
> EFA is Essential Fatty Acids! Right.

Yes. The essential fatty acids are the w-3 and w-6 fatty acids (w-3
refers to their chemical structure) which are linoleic acid (w-6) and
alpha-linolenic acid (w-3). While both are essential, our current diet
gives us far too much w-6 and far too little w-3. It's currently
thought that the otimal ratio of w-6:w-3 should be 1:1 to 4:1 and it's
currently about 20-25:1.

When people talk about supplementing EFA's, they are mainly talking
about w-3 since that's what most lack.

w-3, alpha linolenic acid is converted in the body (to varying degrees)
to the fish oils, EPA and DHA (which I can never spell). It's looking
like EPA/DHA are the key players and that a-la isn't essential in and of
itself beyond being a substrate to make EPA/DHA out of. That is to say,
a-la isn't essential, but it's conversion by products are.

> What is w-6 and w-9?

w-6 is linoleic acid, the other essential fatty acid.
w-9 is oleic acid, the primary fatty acid found in olive oil. While it
has health benefits, it is not essential (essential is defined as being
required for health/survival and can't be made by the body).

> Omega 3 is an EFA? Yes No?

Yes.

> Omega 3 can be had from Fish Oil, Olive Oil, Rape Seed Oil and Flax Sees
> Oil. Right.

See above, yes-ish. Alpha-linoleic acid is the precursor w-3 which is
converted in the body to EPA and DHA (the fish oils which are also w-3).
But said conversion tends to be fairly poor and a lot of things can
impair it.

Flax, rape seed and hemp are primarily sources of alpha-linoleic acid.
Taking those to get w-3 is sort of based on the idea that you'll get
conversion to the good stuff (the fish oils, EPA/DHA) but this isn't
certain (and the recent data shows really bad conversion rates to EPA
and almost no DHA production).

Which is why I think taking preformed fish oil capsules is both a more
efficient and effective way of ensuring EPA/DHA intake. The rest of
your fat can come from a mix of monounsaturates (w-9, oleic acid) and
some saturates (impossible to avoid). With even a moderate fat intake,
you'll get plenty of w-6 (and the body has a store of w-6 in your fat
cells equal to your last year's intake) so that is almost never an issue.

Lyle

Per Elmsäter
November 23rd 04, 05:28 PM
Lyle McDonald wrote:

> Snipped very informative discourse on EFAs

Thanks a whole lot Lyle for taking your time out to update me like that.
What you wrote was both news to me while also confirming that I'd understood
the rest of the chemistry.
I'll have to update myself on olive oil and why I use it. Not that I intend
to discontinue, just need to redefine the reason to use it:-)
Maybe I'll have my wife go back to fish oil instead of Flax seed oil, due to
her high Cholesterol. Although her cholesterol seems to continue decreasing
even after switching to Flax Seed Oil. Or is cholesterol a whole 'nother
story?

BTW I followed the links to http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ and have been
spending a big part of my afternoon reading your articles.Very interesting
and informative.

Thanks again
--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

z_bumbi
November 23rd 04, 05:38 PM
Lampi > wrote in message >...
> 1. My friend is allergic to deepwater oily fish (ie. salmon, not tuna),
> and wants to give the oils a try to see if it helps her Crohn's. Does
> anybody have any experience with how this allergy translates to oil
> consumption (I'm not sure what the allergen is).
>
> 2. Where are you buying your oils now (part. online), and what brand? I
> would think that a higher concentration would be better for her.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

I´m allergic to fish and I also have Crohn, but I am allergic to all
fish so I don´t know if this is of any help.
I have been using fish oil for the last two months now and haven´t got
any allergic reaction what so ever. I don´t use it to treat my crohn
though so I only eat 3 g a day for generall health partly as an
"antidote" against medication. If it helps with my Crohn I see it as a
bonus.
I use a brand which are in fairly expensive but I buy it from a
company that I trust meet there claims for purity and generall
quality. (I don´t think that the brandname will be of any assistance
as I live outside north america.)

Bjorn

Lyle McDonald
November 23rd 04, 05:57 PM
Per Elmsäter wrote:

> Maybe I'll have my wife go back to fish oil instead of Flax seed oil, due to
> her high Cholesterol. Although her cholesterol seems to continue decreasing
> even after switching to Flax Seed Oil. Or is cholesterol a whole 'nother
> story?

Don't get me wong, compared to the typical american diet, adding flax
oil would be a huge step in the right direction, it would ensure that
the body was getting a w-3 precursor (alpha-linolenic) and making some
EPA/DHA. I forget offhand is flax contains any preformed EPA/DHA.

I simply think that preformed fish oils are a more efficient/effective
way to ensure optimal w-3 (epa/dha) intake.

Lyle

Jim
November 24th 04, 12:57 AM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
> Per Elmsäter wrote:
>
>> Maybe I'll have my wife go back to fish oil instead of Flax seed oil, due
>> her high Cholesterol. Although her cholesterol seems to continue
>> decreasing
>> even after switching to Flax Seed Oil. Or is cholesterol a whole 'nother
>> story?
>
> Don't get me wong, compared to the typical american diet, adding flax oil
> would be a huge step in the right direction, it would ensure that the body
> was getting a w-3 precursor (alpha-linolenic) and making some EPA/DHA. I
> forget offhand is flax contains any preformed EPA/DHA.
>
> I simply think that preformed fish oils are a more efficient/effective way
> to ensure optimal w-3 (epa/dha) intake.
>
> Lyle

Ive heard that to get the best benefits from fish oil is to take like 15
capsules a day. Each capsule180mg EPA and 120mg DHA. That seems like
alot..any drawbacks?

Jim

Kevin J
November 24th 04, 06:12 AM
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:29:49 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>"Lampi" > wrote in message
>> 1. My friend is allergic to deepwater oily fish (ie. salmon, not
>> tuna), and wants to give the oils a try to see if it helps her
>> Crohn's. Does anybody have any experience with how this allergy
>> translates to oil consumption (I'm not sure what the allergen is).
>>
>> 2. Where are you buying your oils now (part. online), and what brand?
>> I would think that a higher concentration would be better for her.
>
>Sounds like Udo's might work - I don't believe there's any fish oil in
>it - if there is, I don't know how to recognize it in what's below.
>From Udo's web site:
>
>http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend.htm
>
>Udo's Choice (Certified Organic)
>Perfected 3, 6, 9 Oil Blend Ingredients:
>organic flax seed oil;
>organic sunflower seed oil;
>organic sesame seed oil;
>rice and oat germ oils;
>medium chain triglycerides (MCTs);
>organic evening primrose oil;
>lecithin (guaranteed GMO-free);
>vitamin E;
>antioxidants (tocotrienols); and
>rosemary oil.
>
>Naturally Occurring "Minor Ingredients":
>65mg of phytosterols/tablespoon (lower cholesterol and normalize immune
>function);
>lignans (beneficial phytoestrogens from flax);
>carotene; and
>tocotrienols and other seed specific antioxidants.
>hundreds of other oil-soluble, health-benefiting phytonutrients

I'd second that reccomendation - I've heard good about Udos

--
kj

Steve Freides
November 24th 04, 01:44 PM
"Kevin J" !> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:29:49 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Lampi" > wrote in message
>>> 1. My friend is allergic to deepwater oily fish (ie. salmon, not
>>> tuna), and wants to give the oils a try to see if it helps her
>>> Crohn's. Does anybody have any experience with how this allergy
>>> translates to oil consumption (I'm not sure what the allergen is).
>>>
>>> 2. Where are you buying your oils now (part. online), and what
>>> brand?
>>> I would think that a higher concentration would be better for her.
>>
>>Sounds like Udo's might work - I don't believe there's any fish oil in
>>it - if there is, I don't know how to recognize it in what's below.
>>From Udo's web site:
>>
>>http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend.htm
>>
>>Udo's Choice (Certified Organic)
>>Perfected 3, 6, 9 Oil Blend Ingredients:
>>organic flax seed oil;
>>organic sunflower seed oil;
>>organic sesame seed oil;
>>rice and oat germ oils;
>>medium chain triglycerides (MCTs);
>>organic evening primrose oil;
>>lecithin (guaranteed GMO-free);
>>vitamin E;
>>antioxidants (tocotrienols); and
>>rosemary oil.
>>
>>Naturally Occurring "Minor Ingredients":
>>65mg of phytosterols/tablespoon (lower cholesterol and normalize
>>immune
>>function);
>>lignans (beneficial phytoestrogens from flax);
>>carotene; and
>>tocotrienols and other seed specific antioxidants.
>>hundreds of other oil-soluble, health-benefiting phytonutrients
>
> I'd second that reccomendation - I've heard good about Udos

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it. It's what we take here.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> --
> kj

Lyle McDonald
November 25th 04, 07:02 PM
Jim wrote:
> "Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
>
>>Per Elmsäter wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe I'll have my wife go back to fish oil instead of Flax seed oil, due
>>>her high Cholesterol. Although her cholesterol seems to continue
>>>decreasing
>>>even after switching to Flax Seed Oil. Or is cholesterol a whole 'nother
>>>story?
>>
>>Don't get me wong, compared to the typical american diet, adding flax oil
>>would be a huge step in the right direction, it would ensure that the body
>>was getting a w-3 precursor (alpha-linolenic) and making some EPA/DHA. I
>>forget offhand is flax contains any preformed EPA/DHA.
>>
>>I simply think that preformed fish oils are a more efficient/effective way
>>to ensure optimal w-3 (epa/dha) intake.
>>
>>Lyle
>>

> Ive heard that to get the best benefits from fish oil is to take like 15
> capsules a day. Each capsule180mg EPA and 120mg DHA. That seems like
> alot..any drawbacks?

6X1 gram caps is sort of the standard recommendation although I know
some like to use more under specific conditions. I don't see taht 15 is
going to be *required* in any event.

the main drawback to fish oil caps is fish tasting burps.

Lyle

Mick R.
November 25th 04, 07:43 PM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
> Jim wrote:

> >>Don't get me wong, compared to the typical american diet, adding flax
oil
> >>would be a huge step in the right direction, it would ensure that the
body
> >>was getting a w-3 precursor (alpha-linolenic) and making some EPA/DHA.
> >>forget offhand is flax contains any preformed EPA/DHA.
> >>
> >>I simply think that preformed fish oils are a more efficient/effective
way
> >>to ensure optimal w-3 (epa/dha) intake.
> >>
> >>Lyle
> >>

> > Ive heard that to get the best benefits from fish oil is to take like 15
> > capsules a day. Each capsule180mg EPA and 120mg DHA. That seems like
> > alot..any drawbacks?
>
> 6X1 gram caps is sort of the standard recommendation although I know
> some like to use more under specific conditions. I don't see taht 15 is
> going to be *required* in any event.
>
> the main drawback to fish oil caps is fish tasting burps.

We use odorless caps for that reason. Slightly lower EFA content but
virtually no fishy breath.

Mick R.

> Lyle

Jim
November 25th 04, 09:12 PM
"Mick R." > wrote in message
.. .

> "Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
>> Jim wrote:

> due
> 'nother

> oil
> body

> way

>> > Ive heard that to get the best benefits from fish oil is to take like
>> > 15
>> > capsules a day. Each capsule180mg EPA and 120mg DHA. That seems like
>> > alot..any drawbacks?
>>
>> 6X1 gram caps is sort of the standard recommendation although I know
>> some like to use more under specific conditions. I don't see taht 15 is
>> going to be *required* in any event.
>>
>> the main drawback to fish oil caps is fish tasting burps.
>>
> We use odorless caps for that reason. Slightly lower EFA content but
> virtually no fishy breath.
>
> Mick R.

I use the regular(not odorless) GNC brand for years. No problems with nasty
burps. I've tried cheaper fish oil and definetly noticed a difference. GNC
is overpriced but I recommend their fish oil caps. Its the only thing I buy
there.

Jim

Lyle McDonald
November 25th 04, 11:17 PM
Mick R. wrote:

> "Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
>
>>Jim wrote:

> due

> 'nother

> oil

> body

> way

>>>Ive heard that to get the best benefits from fish oil is to take like 15
>>>capsules a day. Each capsule180mg EPA and 120mg DHA. That seems like
>>>alot..any drawbacks?
>>
>>6X1 gram caps is sort of the standard recommendation although I know
>>some like to use more under specific conditions. I don't see taht 15 is
>>going to be *required* in any event.
>>
>>the main drawback to fish oil caps is fish tasting burps.
>>

> We use odorless caps for that reason. Slightly lower EFA content but
> virtually no fishy breath.

I don't mind the fish oil burps, I can imagine that I spent the morning
giving a woman cunnilingus.

Lyle

Mick R.
November 26th 04, 08:50 AM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
> Mick R. wrote:

> > due

> > 'nother

> > oil

> > body

> > way

> >>6X1 gram caps is sort of the standard recommendation although I know
> >>some like to use more under specific conditions. I don't see taht 15 is
> >>going to be *required* in any event.
> >>
> >>the main drawback to fish oil caps is fish tasting burps.
> >>

> > We use odorless caps for that reason. Slightly lower EFA content but
> > virtually no fishy breath.
>
> I don't mind the fish oil burps, I can imagine that I spent the morning
> giving a woman cunnilingus.

Out of curiousity, what would the DHA/EPA content of that be?

> Lyle

Axel of the North!
December 2nd 04, 05:04 AM
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:17:28 -0700, Lyle McDonald
> wrote:

>Mick R. wrote:
>
>> "Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Jim wrote: [snip]
>>>

>> We use odorless caps for that reason. Slightly lower EFA content but
>> virtually no fishy breath.
>
>I don't mind the fish oil burps, I can imagine that I spent the morning
>giving a woman cunnilingus.
>
>Lyle

does it really just taste like fish (or fish oil capsules in this
case)?

aj
December 2nd 04, 07:06 AM
On 2004-12-02, Axel of the North! > wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:17:28 -0700, Lyle McDonald
> wrote:
>
>>Mick R. wrote:

>>> We use odorless caps for that reason. Slightly lower EFA content but
>>> virtually no fishy breath.
>>
>>I don't mind the fish oil burps, I can imagine that I spent the morning
>>giving a woman cunnilingus.
>>
>>Lyle
>>

> does it really just taste like fish (or fish oil capsules in this
> case)?

Maybe. If they never wash, or have an infection. Not in my experience.

You never know, Lyle may be referring to simians.

--
-aj

Axel of the North!
December 2nd 04, 07:45 AM
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 07:06:01 -0000, aj > wrote:

>On 2004-12-02, Axel of the North! > wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:17:28 -0700, Lyle McDonald
> wrote:

>>>I don't mind the fish oil burps, I can imagine that I spent the morning
>>>giving a woman cunnilingus.
>>>
>>>Lyle
>>>

>> does it really just taste like fish (or fish oil capsules in this
>> case)?
>
>Maybe. If they never wash, or have an infection. Not in my experience.
>
>You never know, Lyle may be referring to simians.
>
>--
>-aj

okay, i know that diet plays a part in their secretions. i know that
things like smoking could eventually lead to tainting their tasteable
tasties. their general health will effect flavor. when they got
homemade cheese curds spilling out, THEN it doesn't taste so good (and
you shouldn't even be playing down there).

i don't have much opinion either way. actually, i've taken to using
fish "sauce" and shrimp sauce on my foods. not just on rice, mind you.
i've used plenty of nuac mam on canned fish, to improve the taste.
seriously. it's not absurd at all. so it doesn't taste like fish?
alright. i know that the genetics for taste/smell can vary, that our
perceptions can vary very much on this. i just want to know. can we
have a special in-depth thread/discussion on this? not necessarily a
poll, but a mutual sharing of vagina-history experiences from those
who know (just being a woman isn't good enough, unless you make
frequent taste-tests of yourself).

let us transform MFW into a shining beacon of relevent knowledge!

aj
December 2nd 04, 07:40 PM
On 2004-12-02, Axel of the North! > wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 07:06:01 -0000, aj > wrote:
>
>>On 2004-12-02, Axel of the North! > wrote:

>>> does it really just taste like fish (or fish oil capsules in this
>>> case)?
>>
>>Maybe. If they never wash, or have an infection. Not in my experience.
>>
>>You never know, Lyle may be referring to simians.
>>
>>--
>>-aj
>
> okay, i know that diet plays a part in their secretions. i know that
> things like smoking could eventually lead to tainting their tasteable
> tasties. their general health will effect flavor. when they got
> homemade cheese curds spilling out, THEN it doesn't taste so good (and
> you shouldn't even be playing down there).
>
> i don't have much opinion either way. actually, i've taken to using
> fish "sauce" and shrimp sauce on my foods. not just on rice, mind you.
> i've used plenty of nuac mam on canned fish, to improve the taste.
> seriously. it's not absurd at all. so it doesn't taste like fish?
> alright. i know that the genetics for taste/smell can vary, that our
> perceptions can vary very much on this. i just want to know. can we
> have a special in-depth thread/discussion on this? not necessarily a
> poll, but a mutual sharing of vagina-history experiences from those
> who know (just being a woman isn't good enough, unless you make
> frequent taste-tests of yourself).
>
> let us transform MFW into a shining beacon of relevent knowledge!

The scope of my experience is VERY limited.

There are great viscosity variations on a monthly basis.
Week 1 & 2 are quite nice, depending on your preference.
The end of week 3 is a little much, IMO.
Week 4 is too much for most folks.

The pill has a significant effect on total body chemistry, smell, taste,
etc.

Now, on to my other rant: Perfume destroys the hope of true love.

Both Mandy & I were perfectly aware, 12 years ago, that despite
discovering that we had suspiciously similar attitudes, tastes and
beliefs, a great personal admiration for each other's unique talents and
finding each other's face and booty to our liking--- despite all this,
we were very conciously aware that one of the primary forces drawing us
together was smell (well, that and, you know, mad bunny lust). I'm not
sure I beleive in love at first sight, but I damn sure believe in love
at first sniff.

When you run into someone that just smells *right*, gods help you, you
have no choice, you are out of control, you are done. Hope you get
along.

Perfume, even nice subtle perfume, seems to mask people's personal
odor, and as a deceptive socio-sexual aid, probably contributes to a
great portion of the general angst. Also, I generally don't like it.
--
-aj

Lurker
December 2nd 04, 07:45 PM
> Perfume, even nice subtle perfume, seems to mask people's personal
> odor, and as a deceptive socio-sexual aid, probably contributes to a
> great portion of the general angst. Also, I generally don't like it.

I don't have any problems with perfume. That is, as long I get to choose
it, choose who wears it, and how much of it they wear.
--
Lurker

300_30%_31yo/???_??%/245_15%_32yo
Miracle of Medicine
http://jamesrobert.us

aj
December 2nd 04, 08:13 PM
On 2004-12-02, Lurker > wrote:

>> Perfume, even nice subtle perfume, seems to mask people's personal
>> odor, and as a deceptive socio-sexual aid, probably contributes to a
>> great portion of the general angst. Also, I generally don't like it.
>
> I don't have any problems with perfume. That is, as long I get to choose
> it, choose who wears it, and how much of it they wear.

right, me too. Oh, and who they talk to, and their clothes, and where
they go, and what they say and THE ****ING LABELS ON THE ****ING CANS
ARE NOT IN A ROW!
--
-aj

Axel of the North!
December 5th 04, 06:00 AM
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:40:14 -0000, aj > wrote:

>> let us transform MFW into a shining beacon of relevent knowledge!
>
>The scope of my experience is VERY limited.
>
>There are great viscosity variations on a monthly basis.
>Week 1 & 2 are quite nice, depending on your preference.
>The end of week 3 is a little much, IMO.
>Week 4 is too much for most folks.

when is the period?

>The pill has a significant effect on total body chemistry, smell, taste,
>etc.

yes. i've read that when a woman is pregnant (or, on the pill the body
is fooled into thinking it is the mutant Pregneto) she becomes
attracted to the scent of men who smell more like her own family.
reversing the attraction, supposedly to protect the child-to-be-born.

>Now, on to my other rant: Perfume destroys the hope of true love.
>
>Both Mandy & I were perfectly aware, 12 years ago, that despite
>discovering that we had suspiciously similar attitudes, tastes and
>beliefs, a great personal admiration for each other's unique talents and
>finding each other's face and booty to our liking--- despite all this,
>we were very conciously aware that one of the primary forces drawing us
>together was smell (well, that and, you know, mad bunny lust). I'm not
>sure I beleive in love at first sight, but I damn sure believe in love
>at first sniff.

yes. i'm glad to see another real human. pheremones are real, i'm a
believer.

>When you run into someone that just smells *right*, gods help you, you
>have no choice, you are out of control, you are done. Hope you get
>along.
>
>Perfume, even nice subtle perfume, seems to mask people's personal
>odor, and as a deceptive socio-sexual aid, probably contributes to a
>great portion of the general angst. Also, I generally don't like it.
>--
>-aj

yeah. i think, like with other animals, that scent is also a valid and
important communication system. of course, in our sick western culture
we are conditioned into believing that our bodies are disgusting and
filthy. we must only pay attention to the exterior, visually. the rest
is awful and shameful. i've learned to smell people who need to
detoxify. especially people on lots of medications, those people can
stink something awful! it's frightening, and smelling their homes..

aj
December 5th 04, 08:43 AM
On 2004-12-05, Axel of the North! > wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:40:14 -0000, aj > wrote:
>
>>> let us transform MFW into a shining beacon of relevent knowledge!
>>
>>The scope of my experience is VERY limited.
>>
>>There are great viscosity variations on a monthly basis.
>>Week 1 & 2 are quite nice, depending on your preference.
>>The end of week 3 is a little much, IMO.
>>Week 4 is too much for most folks.
>
> when is the period?

That'd be #4. Thought that was obvious by description.

>>The pill has a significant effect on total body chemistry, smell, taste,
>>etc.
>
> yes. i've read that when a woman is pregnant (or, on the pill the body
> is fooled into thinking it is the mutant Pregneto) she becomes
> attracted to the scent of men who smell more like her own family.
> reversing the attraction, supposedly to protect the child-to-be-born.

Bummer.

>>Now, on to my other rant: Perfume destroys the hope of true love.
>>
>>Both Mandy & I were perfectly aware, 12 years ago, that despite
>>discovering that we had suspiciously similar attitudes, tastes and
>>beliefs, a great personal admiration for each other's unique talents and
>>finding each other's face and booty to our liking--- despite all this,
>>we were very conciously aware that one of the primary forces drawing us
>>together was smell (well, that and, you know, mad bunny lust). I'm not
>>sure I beleive in love at first sight, but I damn sure believe in love
>>at first sniff.
>
> yes. i'm glad to see another real human. pheremones are real, i'm a
> believer.

In 5-20 years you'll see another one of those "shocking" headlines on
New Scientist or Science News, smack the monitor and scream "duh!".

>>When you run into someone that just smells *right*, gods help you, you
>>have no choice, you are out of control, you are done. Hope you get
>>along.
>>
>>Perfume, even nice subtle perfume, seems to mask people's personal
>>odor, and as a deceptive socio-sexual aid, probably contributes to a
>>great portion of the general angst. Also, I generally don't like it.
>>--
>>-aj
>
> yeah. i think, like with other animals, that scent is also a valid and
> important communication system. of course, in our sick western culture

Not to worry, there's plenty of sick eastern culture too.

> we are conditioned into believing that our bodies are disgusting and
> filthy. we must only pay attention to the exterior, visually. the rest
> is awful and shameful. i've learned to smell people who need to
> detoxify. especially people on lots of medications, those people can
> stink something awful! it's frightening, and smelling their homes..

Naturally it started with people who just never bathed and now its
promoted as a consumable. Some people who's diet is significantly
different than mine smell funny to me. This includes people who eat
healthy, but ferin' type diets. People who have ****ty diets, by and
large don't smell so good either*. With the prevalence of the latter,
you can see it as justification for covering it up.
--
-aj

* I suppose that counts as a foriegn indicator to my sensibilites. Maybe
fast food junkies welcome the smell of ode de KFC on each other.

Axel of the North!
December 6th 04, 07:08 AM
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 08:43:21 -0000, aj > wrote:

>>>The scope of my experience is VERY limited.
>>>
>>>There are great viscosity variations on a monthly basis.
>>>Week 1 & 2 are quite nice, depending on your preference.
>>>The end of week 3 is a little much, IMO.
>>>Week 4 is too much for most folks.
>>
>> when is the period?
>
>That'd be #4. Thought that was obvious by description.

alright. good, then.

>>>The pill has a significant effect on total body chemistry, smell, taste,
>>>etc.
>>
>> yes. i've read that when a woman is pregnant (or, on the pill the body
>> is fooled into thinking it is the mutant Pregneto) she becomes
>> attracted to the scent of men who smell more like her own family.
>> reversing the attraction, supposedly to protect the child-to-be-born.
>
>Bummer.

yes. but what gets me is a woman who finds a great man when she's on
the pill, then, after a few weeks or months or years of living while
on the pill... when they decide to.. you know..

>>>Now, on to my other rant: Perfume destroys the hope of true love.
>>>
>>>Both Mandy & I were perfectly aware, 12 years ago, that despite
>>>discovering that we had suspiciously similar attitudes, tastes and
>>>beliefs, a great personal admiration for each other's unique talents and
>>>finding each other's face and booty to our liking--- despite all this,
>>>we were very conciously aware that one of the primary forces drawing us
>>>together was smell (well, that and, you know, mad bunny lust). I'm not
>>>sure I beleive in love at first sight, but I damn sure believe in love
>>>at first sniff.
>>
>> yes. i'm glad to see another real human. pheremones are real, i'm a
>> believer.
>
>In 5-20 years you'll see another one of those "shocking" headlines on
>New Scientist or Science News, smack the monitor and scream "duh!".

it's hardly news, though, right? i remember when i was in my very
early teens, bringing up this topic and describing pheremoans. almost
everybody *did* think it was weird and reacted oddly or strongly to
the info.

>>>When you run into someone that just smells *right*, gods help you, you
>>>have no choice, you are out of control, you are done. Hope you get
>>>along.
>>>
>>>Perfume, even nice subtle perfume, seems to mask people's personal
>>>odor, and as a deceptive socio-sexual aid, probably contributes to a
>>>great portion of the general angst. Also, I generally don't like it.
>>>--
>>>-aj
>>
>> yeah. i think, like with other animals, that scent is also a valid and
>> important communication system. of course, in our sick western culture
>
>Not to worry, there's plenty of sick eastern culture too.

yeah. like yummy little asian feet. feet so small i can try to fit the
whole thing into my mouth, perhaps THAT would finally satisfy my oral
asian fixation. did you know about the feet stimulation being the same
part of the brain as genital stimulation? something like that.

>> we are conditioned into believing that our bodies are disgusting and
>> filthy. we must only pay attention to the exterior, visually. the rest
>> is awful and shameful. i've learned to smell people who need to
>> detoxify. especially people on lots of medications, those people can
>> stink something awful! it's frightening, and smelling their homes..
>
>Naturally it started with people who just never bathed and now its
>promoted as a consumable. Some people who's diet is significantly
>different than mine smell funny to me. This includes people who eat
>healthy, but ferin' type diets. People who have ****ty diets, by and
>large don't smell so good either*. With the prevalence of the latter,
>you can see it as justification for covering it up.

gosh. to tell you the truth, the people whose scent i'm most into are
the well-clothed somalian muslim women in my area. they actually smell
like herbs & spices, solid home-made food. but it isn't any kind of
sexual fire ignited, they just remind me strongly of food, then i
think about food and get mentally hungry for the next meal. i mean,
yeah, i *have* felt something when they get close, just smelling them,
too. definetely. maybe it's different for males, the smell thing. i'm
not overly concerned about finding a mate to make babies with, but
they can wind up smelling very naturally enticing because i *can*
smell them, i'm bound to find a few who strike my.. instinctual
interest... that's all i'm saying. i didn't saying anything about
having any secret black fetishes, either. 'cuz i know that might be a
suspicion people might have about me now that i've written what i've
written. except for maybe the pink within the mysterious black. i
mean, real dark, dark chocolate skin with that flower... almost
magical magenta, flowery pink inside that, when made visible.. just
makes you go insane all over in a whole new way, so fresh and exciting
and exotic...

>--
>-aj
>
>* I suppose that counts as a foriegn indicator to my sensibilites. Maybe
>fast food junkies welcome the smell of ode de KFC on each other.

hmm. yeah, i don't feel well with the wheat alone on that type of
food. but i hear the trans-fats can get pretty killer.. :^(

do you think the fats make our skin smell different? i know the gulls
go crazy over the beef rinds i've made from grass-fed beef. i've laid
out some chicken skins, not free-range bug-eaters and balanced, i mean
the regular organic corn & soy and whatever other foodstuffs they use
to help them bulk up conveniently. those gulls will knock down huge
chunks of balanced beef so fast, you'll think they hurt themselves.
but the disgusting chicken skins.. last time i tried this a poor
stupid squirrel was pawing around through the nasty chicken skins..
oh.. it reeked, it reeked i tell ya! disgusting! absolutely noxious
and totally enGROSSING. disgusting rodents!

but that's a whole 'nother topic...

this thread is now officially vagina-licking good! (dark thigh meat is
the best, higher in many nutrients, in poultry i mean... (or DO i?))

<morphs into colbert>
<poof>

aj
December 6th 04, 09:30 PM
On 2004-12-06, Axel of the North! > wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 08:43:21 -0000, aj > wrote:

>>> when is the period?
>>
>>That'd be #4. Thought that was obvious by description.
>
> alright. good, then.

>>> yes. i've read that when a woman is pregnant (or, on the pill the body
>>> is fooled into thinking it is the mutant Pregneto) she becomes
>>> attracted to the scent of men who smell more like her own family.
>>> reversing the attraction, supposedly to protect the child-to-be-born.
>>
>>Bummer.
>
> yes. but what gets me is a woman who finds a great man when she's on
> the pill, then, after a few weeks or months or years of living while
> on the pill... when they decide to.. you know..

>>> yes. i'm glad to see another real human. pheremones are real, i'm a
>>> believer.
>>
>>In 5-20 years you'll see another one of those "shocking" headlines on
>>New Scientist or Science News, smack the monitor and scream "duh!".
>
> it's hardly news, though, right? i remember when i was in my very
> early teens, bringing up this topic and describing pheremoans. almost
> everybody *did* think it was weird and reacted oddly or strongly to
> the info.

>>> yeah. i think, like with other animals, that scent is also a valid and
>>> important communication system. of course, in our sick western culture
>>
>>Not to worry, there's plenty of sick eastern culture too.
>
> yeah. like yummy little asian feet. feet so small i can try to fit the
> whole thing into my mouth, perhaps THAT would finally satisfy my oral
> asian fixation. did you know about the feet stimulation being the same
> part of the brain as genital stimulation? something like that.

Yeah, toes and genitals are adjacent to each other on both the motor and
sensory ridges. There's barely any genital motor tissue, so directly
opposed to the genital sensory area is just more toe motor control. How
do we get crosstalk? I wonder if those reflexology people know anything
other than mumbo jumbo.

>>> we are conditioned into believing that our bodies are disgusting and
>>> filthy. we must only pay attention to the exterior, visually. the rest
>>> is awful and shameful. i've learned to smell people who need to
>>> detoxify. especially people on lots of medications, those people can
>>> stink something awful! it's frightening, and smelling their homes..
>>
>>Naturally it started with people who just never bathed and now its
>>promoted as a consumable. Some people who's diet is significantly
>>different than mine smell funny to me. This includes people who eat
>>healthy, but ferin' type diets. People who have ****ty diets, by and
>>large don't smell so good either*. With the prevalence of the latter,
>>you can see it as justification for covering it up.
>
> gosh. to tell you the truth, the people whose scent i'm most into are
> the well-clothed somalian muslim women in my area.

Many traditional dress styles have evolved to look pretty damn fine.
With the USA grubby corporate logo T-shirt and ripped faded blue jeans
as contrast, it can look even better.

> they actually smell
> like herbs & spices, solid home-made food. but it isn't any kind of
> sexual fire ignited, they just remind me strongly of food, then i
> think about food and get mentally hungry for the next meal.i mean,
> yeah, i *have* felt something when they get close, just smelling them,
> too. definetely. maybe it's different for males, the smell thing.

See Man, Heart re: route to via stomach.

> i'm
> not overly concerned about finding a mate to make babies with, but
> they can wind up smelling very naturally enticing because i *can*
> smell them, i'm bound to find a few who strike my.. instinctual
> interest...

There's a part of you doing reproductive match analysis even though
you're not concious of it.

> that's all i'm saying. i didn't saying anything about
> having any secret black fetishes, either. 'cuz i know that might be a
> suspicion people might have about me now that i've written what i've
> written. except for maybe the pink within the mysterious black. i
> mean, real dark, dark chocolate skin with that flower... almost
> magical magenta, flowery pink inside that, when made visible.. just
> makes you go insane all over in a whole new way, so fresh and exciting
> and exotic...
>
>>--
>>-aj
>>
>>* I suppose that counts as a foriegn indicator to my sensibilites. Maybe
>>fast food junkies welcome the smell of ode de KFC on each other.
>
> hmm. yeah, i don't feel well with the wheat alone on that type of
> food. but i hear the trans-fats can get pretty killer.. :^(
>
> do you think the fats make our skin smell different?

I reckon everything does to some extent or another.

--
-aj

Lucas Buck
December 7th 04, 12:12 AM
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 07:45:50 GMT, (Axel of the North!) wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 07:06:01 -0000, aj > wrote:
>
>>On 2004-12-02, Axel of the North! > wrote:

>>> does it really just taste like fish (or fish oil capsules in this
>>> case)?
>>
>>Maybe. If they never wash, or have an infection. Not in my experience.
>>
>>You never know, Lyle may be referring to simians.
>>
>>--
>>-aj
>
>okay, i know that diet plays a part in their secretions. i know that
>things like smoking could eventually lead to tainting their tasteable
>tasties. their general health will effect flavor. when they got
>homemade cheese curds spilling out, THEN it doesn't taste so good (and
>you shouldn't even be playing down there).
>
>i don't have much opinion either way. actually, i've taken to using
>fish "sauce" and shrimp sauce on my foods. not just on rice, mind you.
>i've used plenty of nuac mam on canned fish, to improve the taste.
>seriously. it's not absurd at all. so it doesn't taste like fish?
>alright. i know that the genetics for taste/smell can vary, that our
>perceptions can vary very much on this. i just want to know. can we
>have a special in-depth thread/discussion on this? not necessarily a
>poll, but a mutual sharing of vagina-history experiences from those
>who know (just being a woman isn't good enough, unless you make
>frequent taste-tests of yourself).

And if you do:
JPEGS PLEASE