PDA

View Full Version : Conventional to Sumo DL transition.

Lampi
November 22nd 04, 03:54 PM
Well, I'm going to give it a try after being continually mocked for my
poor deadlift.

Any pointers on how not to blow my groin to smithereens
(see: assisstance excercises 'cause I WILL be taking it easy).

Mark

PS Hit 192.5 (missed 202.5 after) at the Ontario Bench yesterday for 1st
in the 110s (but the big wheels were abstaining to save it for Cleveland).

Lyle McDonald
November 22nd 04, 04:02 PM
Lampi wrote:

> Well, I'm going to give it a try after being continually mocked for my
> poor deadlift.
>
> Any pointers on how not to blow my groin to smithereens
> (see: assisstance excercises 'cause I WILL be taking it easy).

Stretch your adductors and start light.

Lyle

Keith Hobman
November 22nd 04, 06:15 PM
In article >, Lampi
> wrote:

> Well, I'm going to give it a try after being continually mocked for my
> poor deadlift.
>
> Any pointers on how not to blow my groin to smithereens
> (see: assisstance excercises 'cause I WILL be taking it easy).
>
> Mark
>
> PS Hit 192.5 (missed 202.5 after) at the Ontario Bench yesterday for 1st
> in the 110s (but the big wheels were abstaining to save it for Cleveland).

Dayum. Great lifting!

In the sumo you have to give yourself some time and focus on technique.

Most people take 6-8 months to get to their conventional max. Some
'natural' sumo people just feel it right away.

For your physique you have to stretch the adductors and groin as Lyle
notes in his post. The reason for this is the greater the angle at the
groin the closer the bar is to your base of support and the more you use
your legs and hips.

I found that you had to really focus on spreading the floor and then
driving your hips toward the bar. I didn't even think of lifting the bar
in the initial pull (which made it more of a 'pop' than a 'pull' in my
mind). Instead I tried to spread the floor and then drive my hips forward
without allowing my knees to go forward.

Down properly and the bar literally pops off the floor. Down wrong and I
felt like I was doing a very wide stance semi-stiffed deadlift - all lower
back.

Also as a general rule - narrow your grip if you are sticking off the
floor, widen it if you are sticking over the knees.

00doc
November 22nd 04, 11:54 PM
Lampi > wrote in message >...
> Well, I'm going to give it a try after being continually mocked for my
> poor deadlift.
>
> Any pointers on how not to blow my groin to smithereens
> (see: assisstance excercises 'cause I WILL be taking it easy).
>
> Mark
>
> PS Hit 192.5 (missed 202.5 after) at the Ontario Bench yesterday for 1st
> in the 110s (but the big wheels were abstaining to save it for Cleveland).

Just start light and see what you get.

I had tried an "Ed Coan" Form of modified sumo - feet not ultra wide -
toes facing forward - and dropped it. Hated everything about it. I was
weaker, the hands got in the way, etc etc.

Then one day I tried going really wide with my toes flared out. I was
immediately stronger and had no groin discomfort at all. After playing
around with it I find that what is workign well for me right now is to
not try to do too much with the legs. Just put my feet wide, toes out,
knees with some bend but not a hell of a lot(not as much as I can) and
do what seems like a cross between the sumo I see others so and a wide
stance stiff legg deadlift.

I'm not saying this is what you should do - just showing you some of
the variations to play with within the realm of "sumo" deadlifting.
FWIW I do plan to try to gradually get more leg and less back
involvement but for now I am enjoying the newfound success. The one
other thing I would mention is that I find that what works at light
weights for reps is not necessarily what works for heavy weights in
the sumo much more than other lifts. So if you get heavy and hit a
wall playing with the technique again may help.

--
00doc

aj
November 23rd 04, 12:18 AM
On 2004-11-22, 00doc > wrote:
> Lampi > wrote in message >...
>> Well, I'm going to give it a try after being continually mocked for my
>> poor deadlift.
>>
>> Any pointers on how not to blow my groin to smithereens
>> (see: assisstance excercises 'cause I WILL be taking it easy).
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> PS Hit 192.5 (missed 202.5 after) at the Ontario Bench yesterday for 1st
>> in the 110s (but the big wheels were abstaining to save it for Cleveland).
>
> Just start light and see what you get.
>
> I had tried an "Ed Coan" Form of modified sumo - feet not ultra wide -
> toes facing forward - and dropped it. Hated everything about it. I was
> weaker, the hands got in the way, etc etc.
>
> Then one day I tried going really wide with my toes flared out. I was
> immediately stronger and had no groin discomfort at all. After playing
> around with it I find that what is workign well for me right now is to
> not try to do too much with the legs. Just put my feet wide, toes out,
> knees with some bend but not a hell of a lot(not as much as I can) and
> do what seems like a cross between the sumo I see others so and a wide
> stance stiff legg deadlift.
>
> I'm not saying this is what you should do - just showing you some of
> the variations to play with within the realm of "sumo" deadlifting.
> FWIW I do plan to try to gradually get more leg and less back
> involvement but for now I am enjoying the newfound success. The one
> other thing I would mention is that I find that what works at light
> weights for reps is not necessarily what works for heavy weights in
> the sumo much more than other lifts. So if you get heavy and hit a
> wall playing with the technique again may help.

I use a pretty wide sumo. I have long legs.

What seems to help me is to use as much leg as possible for the
beginning of the lift while concentrating on pulling BACK as much as up.

Re: footware, I wear boots and pull 5x430. Will be going for 1x515 in
February. Woohoo!
--
-aj

Will
November 23rd 04, 03:57 AM
In article >,
Lampi > wrote:

> PS Hit 192.5 (missed 202.5 after) at the Ontario Bench yesterday for 1st
> in the 110s (but the big wheels were abstaining to save it for Cleveland).

Nice lifting. Was the 202.5 a complete miss or called on a technicality?

Did you hear that the IPF and its affiliates will have a press command
starting in January? I'm a little bummed as I have a good rhythm down
that gets me a quick pause but I've never been called for it. C'est la
vie. At least at the last USAPL meet I was at they were a little more
sane in calling belly benches.

John Hanson
November 23rd 04, 04:27 AM
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:57:36 -0800, Will >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >,
> Lampi > wrote:
>
>> PS Hit 192.5 (missed 202.5 after) at the Ontario Bench yesterday for 1st
>> in the 110s (but the big wheels were abstaining to save it for Cleveland).
>
>Nice lifting. Was the 202.5 a complete miss or called on a technicality?
>
>Did you hear that the IPF and its affiliates will have a press command
>starting in January? I'm a little bummed as I have a good rhythm down
>that gets me a quick pause but I've never been called for it. C'est la
>vie. At least at the last USAPL meet I was at they were a little more
>sane in calling belly benches.

Where are all of these new rules everyone is getting their panties in
a bunch about? I was on the IPF website and only see proposals for
new rules. The rulebook is dated November 25, 2004...3 days from now
and has none of those proposals in it.

Keith Hobman
November 23rd 04, 04:28 AM
In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:57:36 -0800, Will >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >In article >,
> > Lampi > wrote:
> >
> >> PS Hit 192.5 (missed 202.5 after) at the Ontario Bench yesterday for 1st
> >> in the 110s (but the big wheels were abstaining to save it for Cleveland).
> >
> >Nice lifting. Was the 202.5 a complete miss or called on a technicality?
> >
> >Did you hear that the IPF and its affiliates will have a press command
> >starting in January? I'm a little bummed as I have a good rhythm down
> >that gets me a quick pause but I've never been called for it. C'est la
> >vie. At least at the last USAPL meet I was at they were a little more
> >sane in calling belly benches.
>
> Where are all of these new rules everyone is getting their panties in
> a bunch about? I was on the IPF website and only see proposals for
> new rules. The rulebook is dated November 25, 2004...3 days from now
> and has none of those proposals in it.

I checked the CPU forum a few days ago and the feeling was they wouldn't
get passed.

John Hanson
November 23rd 04, 04:37 AM
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:28:06 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:57:36 -0800, Will >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> >Nice lifting. Was the 202.5 a complete miss or called on a technicality?
>> >
>> >Did you hear that the IPF and its affiliates will have a press command
>> >starting in January? I'm a little bummed as I have a good rhythm down
>> >that gets me a quick pause but I've never been called for it. C'est la
>> >vie. At least at the last USAPL meet I was at they were a little more
>> >sane in calling belly benches.
>>
>> Where are all of these new rules everyone is getting their panties in
>> a bunch about? I was on the IPF website and only see proposals for
>> new rules. The rulebook is dated November 25, 2004...3 days from now
>> and has none of those proposals in it.
>

>I checked the CPU forum a few days ago and the feeling was they wouldn't
>get passed.

The USAPL forum has everyone in a tizzy about allowing a lifter who
bombs to continue to compete in order to set records or to keep are
record they set in the meet they bombed in. Everyone seems to think
the rules have passed but I see no evidence of that whatsoever.

Here are the proposed changes:
http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/Proposals%20to%20Rules%20Congress%202004.htm

Lampi
November 23rd 04, 11:57 AM

>>>Where are all of these new rules everyone is getting their panties in
>>>a bunch about? I was on the IPF website and only see proposals for
>>>new rules. The rulebook is dated November 25, 2004...3 days from now
>>>and has none of those proposals in it.
>>

>>I checked the CPU forum a few days ago and the feeling was they wouldn't
>>get passed.
>

> The USAPL forum has everyone in a tizzy about allowing a lifter who
> bombs to continue to compete in order to set records or to keep are
> record they set in the meet they bombed in. Everyone seems to think
> the rules have passed but I see no evidence of that whatsoever.
>
> Here are the proposed changes:
> http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/Proposals%20to%20Rules%20Congress%202004.htm

IPF had the AGM in South Africa. Jeff Butt was there from Canada (CPU
prez) and posted on the CPU forum).

NO press command (apparently), although the bombing out did pass.

Check it out: http://www.powerlifting.ca/cgi-bin/config.cgi?read=21288

Lampi
November 23rd 04, 11:59 AM

Complete miss. ****ty training as I made the lift in August, but was
called on a technicality.

> Did you hear that the IPF and its affiliates will have a press command
> starting in January? I'm a little bummed as I have a good rhythm down
> that gets me a quick pause but I've never been called for it. C'est la
> vie. At least at the last USAPL meet I was at they were a little more
> sane in calling belly benches.

I don't think that went through Will, and ditto for the belly benching
comment over here too, seemed to be more lenient this time.