PDA

View Full Version : Question about muscles

Phyloe
November 23rd 04, 05:27 AM
30 years ago I was a jock. I played basketball. I never had any sort of
injury to my knees but now I have problems with them. If I have to kneel
down that is slightly hard but standing back up is quite hard. I usually
need to grab something and pull myself up to a certain extent. My knees feel
like lead. I do not have any problems walking. I cannot run very fast
because there is just no spring left. I realize this is a result of age, I
am 54. I do wonder why my knees feel so stiff and why it is so hard to stand
up from a kneeling position? Is there something I can do to get some spring
back or is this irreversible? I'm just curious, I am not going to try to
relive my Bball years.
Phyloe

--
Still alive and well. Every now and then I know it's kind of hard to tell
but I'm still alive and well.

rev
November 23rd 04, 07:55 AM
"Phyloe" > wrote in
:

> 30 years ago I was a jock. I played basketball. I never had any sort
> of
> injury to my knees but now I have problems with them. If I have to
> kneel down that is slightly hard but standing back up is quite hard. I
> usually need to grab something and pull myself up to a certain extent.
> My knees feel like lead. I do not have any problems walking. I cannot
> run very fast because there is just no spring left. I realize this is
> a result of age, I am 54. I do wonder why my knees feel so stiff and
> why it is so hard to stand up from a kneeling position? Is there
> something I can do to get some spring back or is this irreversible?
> I'm just curious, I am not going to try to relive my Bball years.
> Phyloe

You describe me, 7 months ago. I began a lifestyle change then (aged 52)
lost 13 kg and began an exercise program that contained a lot of cardio and
a little weights. It has evolved to a little cardio and a lots of weights.
Not huge weights but enough to make me stronger, improved my cardio and
changed my body fat % so that I look noticeably different. I moved from
all machines to mostly free weights and now a lot of compound lifting (e.g.
squats and recently deadlifts, woohoo I love them). But my knee issues and
previous lower back problesm have basicall gone. All the resistance work
has strenghtened everything. I always started light and paid good attention
to form as I was worried because I didnt want to mess anything up. I can't
imagine life without lifting heavy things up and putting them down again,
4-5 days a week for 40 mins a session.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Per Elmsäter
November 23rd 04, 04:29 PM
Phyloe wrote:
> 30 years ago I was a jock. I played basketball. I never had any
> sort of injury to my knees but now I have problems with them. If I
> have to kneel down that is slightly hard but standing back up is
> quite hard. I usually need to grab something and pull myself up to a
> certain extent. My knees feel like lead. I do not have any problems
> walking. I cannot run very fast because there is just no spring left.
> I realize this is a result of age, I am 54. I do wonder why my knees
> feel so stiff and why it is so hard to stand up from a kneeling
> position? Is there something I can do to get some spring back or is
> this irreversible? I'm just curious, I am not going to try to relive
> my Bball years.
> Phyloe

I'm 54 and started worrying about my knees the last couple of years. Started
riding bicycles and was really sensitive to saddle height or my knees would
start aching etc. Have done resistance training the last couple of winters
without paying much attention to the knees. Except when I did legpress in
the machine I'd have to put my palms over my knees and help pressing with my
arms to get going again. At least if I went deep.
This year I started out doing Dumbbell Lunges, high reps low weights and
continued with Dumbbell Squats. In just two months I can feel a remarkable
difference in knee stability and strength. I do 60 kilo 12*3 ass to the
grass without any knee problems whatsoever. For me dumbbell sqats are good
because it's easy to keep ,y knees behind my toes, which I believe is the
key to building stronger knees instead of ruining them. Now if I could only
learn to not round off my lower back I can start putting on some more
weight. However I don't want to do that until form is proper.

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.