PDA

View Full Version : lower back pain questions

adam22
November 23rd 04, 05:01 PM
hi. i am a bmx rider from new york city and for the past 2 months i've
been experiencing pretty awful lower back pain. i just went to see a
chiropractor the other day and he x rayed me and showed me how i have
a pretty serious curve in my spine now from years of being hunched
over my handlebars. all he was able to do though was to give me some
excercises to do which he said would improve my lower back muscles and
ideally straighten my spine out. that seems like it probably wont be
enough though.

so i asked about it on a bmx messageboard and this guy who's like 40
and has been riding forever told me that he had the same problem, so
he went to a chiropractor and didn't really get anything out of it,
then he went to a physiotherapist who helped him out a lot and solved
his problem permanently.

so basically i was wondering if anyone who reads this would be able to
reccomend any excercises of possibly a physical therapist in new york
city who would be able to help me out.

thanks a lot, i appreciate it.

Steve Freides
November 23rd 04, 05:05 PM
"adam22" > wrote in message
om...
> hi. i am a bmx rider from new york city and for the past 2 months i've
> been experiencing pretty awful lower back pain. i just went to see a
> chiropractor the other day and he x rayed me and showed me how i have
> a pretty serious curve in my spine now from years of being hunched
> over my handlebars. all he was able to do though was to give me some
> excercises to do which he said would improve my lower back muscles and
> ideally straighten my spine out. that seems like it probably wont be
> enough though.
>
> so i asked about it on a bmx messageboard and this guy who's like 40
> and has been riding forever told me that he had the same problem, so
> he went to a chiropractor and didn't really get anything out of it,
> then he went to a physiotherapist who helped him out a lot and solved
> his problem permanently.
>
> so basically i was wondering if anyone who reads this would be able to
> reccomend any excercises of possibly a physical therapist in new york
> city who would be able to help me out.
>
> thanks a lot, i appreciate it.

At the risk of giving you a boring answer you don't want to hear, I'd
give the doctor's advice time to work - exercises take at least a couple
of weeks to show results, and a couple of months is a more fair test of
whether or not they're working.

If you haven't trained with weights before, my guess is that, as long as
you start out slowly and ease your way in, you'll find that any number
of exercises can help you. Back extensions seem a good place to start
but deadlifts and/or squats could be the mainstays of your program.

Also keep in mind that improving your hamstring flexibility may help
your cause - can help you keep your back a little flatter. You might
also try keeping your seat higher and/or riding standing up more -
definitely worth experimenting with your position on the bike.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

spodosaurus
November 24th 04, 03:14 AM
adam22 wrote:
> hi. i am a bmx rider from new york city and for the past 2 months i've
> been experiencing pretty awful lower back pain. i just went to see a
> chiropractor the other day and he x rayed me and showed me how i have
> a pretty serious curve in my spine now from years of being hunched
> over my handlebars. all he was able to do though was to give me some
> excercises to do which he said would improve my lower back muscles and
> ideally straighten my spine out. that seems like it probably wont be
> enough though.

Go see a real doctor.

> so i asked about it on a bmx messageboard and this guy who's like 40
> and has been riding forever told me that he had the same problem, so
> he went to a chiropractor and didn't really get anything out of it,
> then he went to a physiotherapist who helped him out a lot and solved
> his problem permanently.

Not surprising, but you should still see a real doctor and make sure
about what's going on. Have a PSA test done while you're there (if the
controversy hasn't completely turned people off from having that added
to the routine blood work for a physical).

> so basically i was wondering if anyone who reads this would be able to
> reccomend any excercises of possibly a physical therapist in new york
> city who would be able to help me out.
>
> thanks a lot, i appreciate it.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

spodosaurus
November 24th 04, 03:15 AM
Steve Freides wrote:

> At the risk of giving you a boring answer you don't want to hear, I'd
> give the doctor's advice time to work

He didn't see a doctor.