PDA

View Full Version : Wanted : Lower back work out

Steve Freides
November 23rd 04, 07:14 PM
"Rich" > wrote in message
m...
> For medical reasons. I need to work out my lower back. To my surprise,
> I can not find much about exercise for the lower back.
>
> What work out can I for the lower back ????

http://www.google.com/search?q=lower+back+exercise

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Rich
November 23rd 04, 07:16 PM
For medical reasons. I need to work out my lower back. To my surprise,
I can not find much about exercise for the lower back.

What work out can I for the lower back ????

Lee Michaels
November 23rd 04, 07:29 PM
"Rich" > wrote in message
m...
> For medical reasons. I need to work out my lower back. To my surprise,
> I can not find much about exercise for the lower back.
>
> What work out can I for the lower back ????

A back extension bench is good for this.

If you are weak, go for the 45 degree model.

Any exercise equipment store will have them.

Paul Cassel
November 23rd 04, 10:51 PM
Rich wrote:
> For medical reasons. I need to work out my lower back. To my surprise,
> I can not find much about exercise for the lower back.
>
> What work out can I for the lower back ????

Per Steve's post, you can search the Web for excersies, but I'm
interested in what medical condition you have. You can't just randomly
throw exercise at it to address a serious medical condition.

spodosaurus
November 24th 04, 03:09 AM
Rich wrote:
> For medical reasons. I need to work out my lower back. To my surprise,
> I can not find much about exercise for the lower back.
>
> What work out can I for the lower back ????

My favourite lower back exercise involves using a back extension bench
but adjusting it so that the back rounds, rather than the hips flexing.
Most people do back extensions by extending their hips, much like a
stiff leg deadlift. That has its uses, but it is a fairly static
contraction of the lower back muscles. I position the pad so that I flex
my spine at the waist, allowing the lower back muscles to work through a
full range of motion. I use VERY light weights (especially when coming
back after one of my frequent but not training related layoffs) and the
movement is like the opposite of an abdominal crunch.

HTH,

Ari

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Lyle McDonald
November 24th 04, 03:24 AM
spodosaurus wrote:

> Rich wrote:
>
>> For medical reasons. I need to work out my lower back. To my surprise,
>> I can not find much about exercise for the lower back.
>>
>> What work out can I for the lower back ????
>

> My favourite lower back exercise involves using a back extension bench
> but adjusting it so that the back rounds, rather than the hips flexing.
> Most people do back extensions by extending their hips, much like a
> stiff leg deadlift. That has its uses, but it is a fairly static
> contraction of the lower back muscles. I position the pad so that I flex
> my spine at the waist, allowing the lower back muscles to work through a
> full range of motion.

One can readily roudn the back with the pad set back far enough to allow
pelvic movement as well. You start in spinal flexion and anterior
pelvic rotation, start to unround the back and finish by posteriorly
rotating the pelvis. Which trains the entire hip extensor chain in a
more functional pattern. I agree that most do it wrong, keeping the back
flat and just extending at the hip.

What you're describing is useful for isolating the lower back musculature.

I use VERY light weights (especially when coming
> back after one of my frequent but not training related layoffs) and the
> movement is like the opposite of an abdominal crunch.

One can also build up to using NON very light weights in the movement.
I'm a pansy and routinely use 60 lbs for sets of 5 (with a 6" isometric
hold at the top), my lesbians used the same with 2 second holds, one of
my old male trainees was using in the 90 lb range. YOu simply have to
be progressive over time.

Lyle

spodosaurus
November 24th 04, 09:45 AM
Lyle McDonald wrote:
> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>> Rich wrote:
>>
>>> For medical reasons. I need to work out my lower back. To my surprise,
>>> I can not find much about exercise for the lower back.
>>>
>>> What work out can I for the lower back ????
>>

>> My favourite lower back exercise involves using a back extension bench
>> but adjusting it so that the back rounds, rather than the hips
>> flexing. Most people do back extensions by extending their hips, much
>> like a stiff leg deadlift. That has its uses, but it is a fairly
>> static contraction of the lower back muscles. I position the pad so
>> that I flex my spine at the waist, allowing the lower back muscles to
>> work through a full range of motion.
>

> One can readily roudn the back with the pad set back far enough to allow
> pelvic movement as well. You start in spinal flexion and anterior
> pelvic rotation, start to unround the back and finish by posteriorly
> rotating the pelvis. Which trains the entire hip extensor chain in a
> more functional pattern. I agree that most do it wrong, keeping the back
> flat and just extending at the hip.
>
> What you're describing is useful for isolating the lower back musculature.
>
> I use VERY light weights (especially when coming
>
>> back after one of my frequent but not training related layoffs) and
>> the movement is like the opposite of an abdominal crunch.
>

> One can also build up to using NON very light weights in the movement.
> I'm a pansy and routinely use 60 lbs for sets of 5 (with a 6" isometric
> hold at the top), my lesbians used the same with 2 second holds, one of
> my old male trainees was using in the 90 lb range. YOu simply have to
> be progressive over time.
>
> Lyle

I'd like to build up to using more weight. I think this would be one of
the few lower body exercises that I can safely do with extra weight (in
time) without risking the bone-metal interface in my artificial hips. I
have to be careful with that because while there are some VERY heavy
people who do just fine, loading their artificial hips with far more
than I'd feel safe doing, they don't have the osteopaenia from long term
medication that I have.

Thanks for the description adding the pelvic tilt aspect, I think I'll
play around and see how this goes for me.

I remember a while back that either your or Elzi was commenting about
how the spinal muscles stop their supporting contraction and the force
gets thrown onto the ligaments with a rounded back in reference to a
different exercise (perhaps it was a warning to someone who was posting
about round back deadlifts or some such, I don't recall offhand). I'm
presuming that doesn't apply here?

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Helgi Briem
November 24th 04, 11:52 AM
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:24:37 -0700, Lyle McDonald
> wrote:

>One can also build up to using NON very light weights in the movement.
>I'm a pansy and routinely use 60 lbs for sets of 5 (with a 6" isometric
>hold at the top), my lesbians used the same with 2 second holds, one of
>my old male trainees was using in the 90 lb range. YOu simply have to
>be progressive over time.

I've used 60kg (132 lbs) for a set of 5 and I'm no Keith Hobman.
It was a little heavy though and I wouldn't do it again until
I'm a lot stronger. I routinely use 30-35kg (66-77 lbs) for this
exercise, 3 sets of 10-12.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.