PDA

View Full Version : Torn tendon

Kes Green
November 23rd 04, 09:16 PM
OK, this one's for all you doctors out there. I managed to tear a tendon in
my shoulder about 5 years ago and had an MRI scan last year which concluded
that:
"there is a degenerative change in the supraspinatus tendon witha a small
partial thickness tear extending to the articular surface. There are minor
degenerative changes around the acromioclavicular joint with a mild degree
of impingement on the subacromial space."

I stayed off the weights for a few years, then started up again last July.
I was making quite good progression - slow & steady. One of my goals was to
build up all the shoulder muscles to support the torn tendon. Recently
though, my shoulder has become increasingly painful, to the extent that I
feel some action must be taken. My GP has offered to give me a cortisone
injection, but I can't see that helping - other than offering temporary
relief from pain and swelling. I've heard it can also weaken the tendon.
As far as I can tell, the only way to repair the tendon is surgery. Perhaps
an arthroscopy to remove some of the impinging acromion while repairing the
tear in the tendon.
Does anyone have a clue what I'm on about ? If so , and you have some
degree of expertise/experience with this sort of injury, please let me know
your thoughts.

John M. Williams
November 24th 04, 02:05 AM
"Kes Green" > wrote:

>OK, this one's for all you doctors out there. I managed to tear a tendon in
>my shoulder about 5 years ago and had an MRI scan last year which concluded
>that:
>"there is a degenerative change in the supraspinatus tendon witha a small
>partial thickness tear extending to the articular surface. There are minor
>degenerative changes around the acromioclavicular joint with a mild degree
>of impingement on the subacromial space."
>
>I stayed off the weights for a few years, then started up again last July.
>I was making quite good progression - slow & steady. One of my goals was to
>build up all the shoulder muscles to support the torn tendon. Recently
>though, my shoulder has become increasingly painful, to the extent that I
>feel some action must be taken. My GP has offered to give me a cortisone
>injection, but I can't see that helping - other than offering temporary
>relief from pain and swelling. I've heard it can also weaken the tendon.
>As far as I can tell, the only way to repair the tendon is surgery. Perhaps
>an arthroscopy to remove some of the impinging acromion while repairing the
>tear in the tendon.
>Does anyone have a clue what I'm on about ?

Pretty much.

>If so , and you have some
>degree of expertise/experience with this sort of injury, please let me know
>your thoughts.

The tendon may heal on it's own with rest, heat and ice, and some
supplementation of glucosamine-chondroitin. The subacromial space
isn't going to get any bigger on its own, and with calcification, it
may get smaller.

I avoided the arthroscopic surgery by using the above regimen and
being smarter about my lifts. It doesn't work for everyone.

And, no, I'm not a physician ... just someone with an impingement who
studied the problem.

spodosaurus
November 24th 04, 03:05 AM
Kes Green wrote:
> OK, this one's for all you doctors out there. I managed to tear a tendon in
> my shoulder about 5 years ago and had an MRI scan last year which concluded
> that:
> "there is a degenerative change in the supraspinatus tendon witha a small
> partial thickness tear extending to the articular surface. There are minor
> degenerative changes around the acromioclavicular joint with a mild degree
> of impingement on the subacromial space."
>
> I stayed off the weights for a few years, then started up again last July.
> I was making quite good progression - slow & steady. One of my goals was to
> build up all the shoulder muscles to support the torn tendon. Recently
> though, my shoulder has become increasingly painful, to the extent that I
> feel some action must be taken. My GP has offered to give me a cortisone
> injection, but I can't see that helping - other than offering temporary
> relief from pain and swelling. I've heard it can also weaken the tendon.
> As far as I can tell, the only way to repair the tendon is surgery. Perhaps
> an arthroscopy to remove some of the impinging acromion while repairing the
> tear in the tendon.
> Does anyone have a clue what I'm on about ? If so , and you have some
> degree of expertise/experience with this sort of injury, please let me know
> your thoughts.

My doc was telling me they would have to modify my acromion because of
my shoulder problems. I spent six months trying to balance out my
shoulders to minimise the issues. I started focussing on upper back work
to bring my shoulders backwards as they were rounded forward from too
much emphasis on upper body pressing movements (in particular the bench
press). That, and slow and easy flexibility work were two of the major
contributors to me being able to train semi-normally again AND avoid
surgery. I still have to take care, though.

However, I never had an actual tear. From what you wrote, it sounds like
4 years after the tendon tore, it's still torn! I suggest you go and see
a surgeon, and then go and get a second opinion. I think they'll both
say the same thing: get it fixed. Then again, surgeons always have a
surgical solution :-/ I have to wonder if after all this time your
chances of surgery working very well haven't been compromised. But
that's last bit is just idle speculation.

Cheers,

Ari

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Kes Green
November 24th 04, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the advice. For now, I may just take it easy on overhead
exercises and use ice and anti-inflammatories straight after.
Does anyone have any evidence that glucosamine-chondroitin does any good? I
thought it was for cartilage problems.

"spodosaurus" > wrote in message
> [...]
> 4 years after the tendon tore, it's still torn! I suggest you go and see
> a surgeon, and then go and get a second opinion. I think they'll both
> say the same thing: get it fixed. Then again, surgeons always have a
> surgical solution :-/ I have to wonder if after all this time your
> chances of surgery working very well haven't been compromised. But
> that's last bit is just idle speculation.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ari
>

> --
> spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
>
> I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
> neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
> of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
> people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please

John M. Williams
November 24th 04, 07:07 PM
"Kes Green" > wrote:

>Thanks for the advice. For now, I may just take it easy on overhead
>exercises and use ice and anti-inflammatories straight after.
>Does anyone have any evidence that glucosamine-chondroitin does any good?

I wouldn't have put it in my response if I didn't believe that it did
some good for me. Check PubMed for studies.

>I thought it was for cartilage problems.

It appears to also be beneficial for connective tissue.

Matt
November 24th 04, 08:29 PM
I had the same exact problem, i would rest it would go away but once started
again i would feel the pain. MRI revealed a small tear in my rotatory cuff,
so i needed arthoroscopic surgery, once completed about 8 weeks rehab and
i'm back to full strength.
"Kes Green" > wrote in message
> OK, this one's for all you doctors out there. I managed to tear a tendon
> in
> my shoulder about 5 years ago and had an MRI scan last year which
> concluded
> that:
> "there is a degenerative change in the supraspinatus tendon witha a small
> partial thickness tear extending to the articular surface. There are minor
> degenerative changes around the acromioclavicular joint with a mild degree
> of impingement on the subacromial space."
>
> I stayed off the weights for a few years, then started up again last July.
> I was making quite good progression - slow & steady. One of my goals was
> build up all the shoulder muscles to support the torn tendon. Recently
> though, my shoulder has become increasingly painful, to the extent that I
> feel some action must be taken. My GP has offered to give me a cortisone
> injection, but I can't see that helping - other than offering temporary
> relief from pain and swelling. I've heard it can also weaken the tendon.
> As far as I can tell, the only way to repair the tendon is surgery.
> Perhaps
> an arthroscopy to remove some of the impinging acromion while repairing
> the
> tear in the tendon.
> Does anyone have a clue what I'm on about ? If so , and you have some
> degree of expertise/experience with this sort of injury, please let me
> know
> your thoughts.

spodosaurus
November 25th 04, 03:50 AM
John M. Williams wrote:
> "Kes Green" > wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the advice. For now, I may just take it easy on overhead
>>exercises and use ice and anti-inflammatories straight after.
>>Does anyone have any evidence that glucosamine-chondroitin does any good?
>

> I wouldn't have put it in my response if I didn't believe that it did
> some good for me. Check PubMed for studies.
>

>>I thought it was for cartilage problems.
>

> It appears to also be beneficial for connective tissue.

site/cite?

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

John M. Williams
November 25th 04, 04:49 AM
spodosaurus > wrote:

>John M. Williams wrote:
>> "Kes Green" > wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks for the advice. For now, I may just take it easy on overhead
>>>exercises and use ice and anti-inflammatories straight after.
>>>Does anyone have any evidence that glucosamine-chondroitin does any good?
>>

>> I wouldn't have put it in my response if I didn't believe that it did
>> some good for me. Check PubMed for studies.
>>

>>>I thought it was for cartilage problems.
>>

>> It appears to also be beneficial for connective tissue.
>
>site/cite?

There's no specific study that says G-C will improve rotator cuff
problems. Of course, nobody seems willing to offer that conclusion
about the most studied syndrome: osteoarthritis of the knee.

However, the studies regarding glycosaminoglycans being integral to
tendon and ligament structure are quite plentiful. It's a
supplementation, not a "cure."

I'll let you do that search yourself.

Kes Green
November 25th 04, 05:42 PM
Well I'm off to see the doc next Wednesday. I bet she'll insist on a
cortisone jab (she seems keen on those), but if the tendon hasn't repaired
itself in 5 years or so, I doubt it would without surgery. I presume scar
tissue must have formed by now, which may prevent healing. I think I'm goin
to press for surgery.
Thanks for all the advice.