PDA

View Full Version : Can I workout after I get a flu shot?

Ali Syed
November 23rd 04, 09:22 PM
I am planning on getting a flu shot and was wondering if I can workout
the same day or do I need a rest period?

Are there any issues with working out and the flu shot?

Thanks

Ali

JayB
November 23rd 04, 09:48 PM
"Ali Syed" > wrote in message
om...
>I am planning on getting a flu shot and was wondering if I can workout
> the same day or do I need a rest period?
>
> Are there any issues with working out and the flu shot?

Shouldn't be any. When I was in the Army I'd get my flu shot in the morning,
go do an hour of physical training and running and then eat breakfast. It
never affected me in a bad way.

--
JayB

Dally
November 23rd 04, 10:46 PM
Ali Syed wrote:
> I am planning on getting a flu shot and was wondering if I can workout
> the same day or do I need a rest period?
>
> Are there any issues with working out and the flu shot?
>

> Thanks
>
> Ali

Seeing as how you have to be over aged 75 or in ill health to receive a
flu shot, my suggestion is that you not strain yourself. Or consult
with your physician.

Dally, bitter 'cuz she can't get one

Steve Freides
November 24th 04, 01:53 AM
"Ali Syed" > wrote in message
om...
>I am planning on getting a flu shot and was wondering if I can workout
> the same day or do I need a rest period?
>
> Are there any issues with working out and the flu shot?

It depends. Some people get what feels like a slight case of the flu
after they get a flu shot. That happened to me this year - felt a
little achy for almost two weeks, actually. Not to mention the arm was
sore for a few days. For anyone curious, I and my entire family earned
our flu shots because I've had flu that turned into pneumonia the last
two winters, the first of which nearly killed me. History of asthma,
severe allergies, etc.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> Thanks
>
> Ali

Ryan Jackson
November 24th 04, 06:04 AM
Actually, you don't have to always meet these requirements to get the
Flu shot, also Ali could be outside the US.

Dally wrote:
> Ali Syed wrote:
>
>> I am planning on getting a flu shot and was wondering if I can workout
>> the same day or do I need a rest period?
>>
>> Are there any issues with working out and the flu shot?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Ali
>

> Seeing as how you have to be over aged 75 or in ill health to receive a
> flu shot, my suggestion is that you not strain yourself. Or consult
> with your physician.
>
> Dally, bitter 'cuz she can't get one

Dally
November 24th 04, 01:27 PM
Steve Freides wrote:
> For anyone curious, I and my entire family earned
> our flu shots because I've had flu that turned into pneumonia the last
> two winters, the first of which nearly killed me. History of asthma,
> severe allergies, etc.

That's my history, as well, but I couldn't get one. Oh, plus I work
face to face with the Great-Unwashed Public during flu season. I've
gotten one every year since my near-death episode. I'm quite uneasy
about not being able to get one. And ****ed off. I called the health
center and asked if I could get the Flu-Mist version and they said they
never ordered it [and don't intend to just because I'm asking.] Damn,
this ****es me off that we're left flapping in the breeze like this!

Dally

Ali Syed
November 24th 04, 02:22 PM
Dally > wrote in message >...
> Seeing as how you have to be over aged 75 or in ill health to receive a
> flu shot, my suggestion is that you not strain yourself. Or consult
> with your physician.
>
> Dally, bitter 'cuz she can't get one

Well some of us live in Canada (where the flu shot is in ample supply
and is free to all citizens...God Bless Canada).

Ali

Ali Syed
November 24th 04, 02:31 PM
Ryan Jackson > wrote in message >...
> Actually, you don't have to always meet these requirements to get the
> Flu shot, also Ali could be outside the US.

Thanks for pointing out the fact that there are people who don't live
in the USA but actually live in the rest of the world and read this
fantastic usenet group (even though I am just North of most of you
(Canada) - or South if you live in Alaska)

Actually I know of many Americans who have crossed the border recently
to get the flu shot ($30 CDN for non-residents) and many more who
routinely by their persecriptions at local pharmacies.....it's always
in the news here.....

Ali

Ali Syed
November 24th 04, 02:33 PM
Ryan Jackson > wrote in message >...
> Actually, you don't have to always meet these requirements to get the
> Flu shot, also Ali could be outside the US.

Thanks for pointing out the fact that there are people who don't live
in the USA but actually live in the rest of the world and read this
fantastic usenet group (even though I am just North of most of you
(Canada) - or South if you live in Alaska)

Actually I know of many Americans who have crossed the border recently
to get the flu shot ($30 CDN for non-residents) and many more who
routinely by their persecriptions at local pharmacies.....it's always
in the news here.....

Ali

Lee Michaels
November 24th 04, 02:43 PM
"Ali Syed" > wrote in message
om...
> Ryan Jackson > wrote in message
> > Actually, you don't have to always meet these requirements to get the
> > Flu shot, also Ali could be outside the US.
> >

> Thanks for pointing out the fact that there are people who don't live
> in the USA but actually live in the rest of the world and read this
> fantastic usenet group (even though I am just North of most of you
> (Canada) - or South if you live in Alaska)
>

> Actually I know of many Americans who have crossed the border recently
> to get the flu shot ($30 CDN for non-residents) and many more who
> routinely by their persecriptions at local pharmacies.....it's always
> in the news here.....

Well, Canada IS probably starved for good news stories.

And us Yanks make for good news stories.

And finger pointing and gossip.....

Per Elmsäter
November 24th 04, 02:50 PM
Dally wrote:
> Ali Syed wrote:
>> I am planning on getting a flu shot and was wondering if I can
>> workout the same day or do I need a rest period?
>>
>> Are there any issues with working out and the flu shot?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Ali
>
> Seeing as how you have to be over aged 75 or in ill health to receive
> a flu shot, my suggestion is that you not strain yourself. Or consult
> with your physician.
>
> Dally, bitter 'cuz she can't get one

I thought you could get anything in America as long as you were willing or
able to pay for it. What's happening here? Is the rest of the commie world
catching up and passing you by ;.)

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

bc
November 24th 04, 06:45 PM
Dally > wrote in message >...
> Steve Freides wrote:
> > For anyone curious, I and my entire family earned
> > our flu shots because I've had flu that turned into pneumonia the last
> > two winters, the first of which nearly killed me. History of asthma,
> > severe allergies, etc.
>
> That's my history, as well, but I couldn't get one. Oh, plus I work
> face to face with the Great-Unwashed Public during flu season. I've
> gotten one every year since my near-death episode. I'm quite uneasy
> about not being able to get one. And ****ed off. I called the health
> center and asked if I could get the Flu-Mist version and they said they
> never ordered it [and don't intend to just because I'm asking.] Damn,
> this ****es me off that we're left flapping in the breeze like this!

Well, you could have done what we did in my family ... have a baby.
Our pediatrition practically dragged me to the clinic to get my shot.

Of course, you would have had to have planned in advance well before
flu season.

- bc