PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter how you have you take in your protein?

Home Mail
November 23rd 04, 10:52 PM
I am currently 86kg and am looking at losing gut fat and putting on lean
muscle. I planned this diet and started it earlier on this week:

Breakfast
4 wheat biscuits and 500ml high protein milk
38gm protein

Lunch
240 grams of tuna with lettuce and tomatoes
60gm protein

Dinner
300 grams chicken breast + other low carb/fat stuff
75gm protein

Supplemented with 3 serves of protein shakes
33gms (my protein shakes are the type with 11gm protein per 30gm serve)

Total protein = 206gms.

As far as protein intake is concerned it seems to be adequate. However I
have a problem with my lunch menu. I HATE TUNA! There was a reason I hadn't
eaten the stuff in many many years ... I'd just forgotten about it! I've had
tuna two days in a row and that's the end of that. It's a pity since it is
such a good source of protein.

Since tuna is off my menu I am now looking at ways of supplementing this
loss of protein. I am currently doing 500 mls of high protein milk which I
can boost to a full litre. This will provide me with 1/2 the protein I lost
from the tuna lunch. That still leaves me with another 30gms of protein I
still have to make up for.

Questions for you experts:

1) Does it matter how you take in your protein? Is protein from milk any
different from protein in tuna?

2) How do I get the other 30gms of protein?! A suggestion of protein bars
has been put forward before ... but that stuff is sooooo expensive!

November 23rd 04, 11:10 PM
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:52:32 +1300, "Home Mail" >
wrote:

>I am currently 86kg and am looking at losing gut fat and putting on lean
>muscle. I planned this diet and started it earlier on this week:
>
>Breakfast
>4 wheat biscuits and 500ml high protein milk
>38gm protein
>
>Lunch
>240 grams of tuna with lettuce and tomatoes
>60gm protein
>
>Dinner
>300 grams chicken breast + other low carb/fat stuff
>75gm protein
>
>Supplemented with 3 serves of protein shakes
>33gms (my protein shakes are the type with 11gm protein per 30gm serve)
>
>Total protein = 206gms.
>
>As far as protein intake is concerned it seems to be adequate. However I
>have a problem with my lunch menu. I HATE TUNA!

Do you like wasabi? Try some mixed with your tuna.

Hal

>There was a reason I hadn't
>eaten the stuff in many many years ... I'd just forgotten about it! I've had
>tuna two days in a row and that's the end of that. It's a pity since it is
>such a good source of protein.
>
>Since tuna is off my menu I am now looking at ways of supplementing this
>loss of protein. I am currently doing 500 mls of high protein milk which I
>can boost to a full litre. This will provide me with 1/2 the protein I lost
>from the tuna lunch. That still leaves me with another 30gms of protein I
>still have to make up for.
>
>Questions for you experts:
>
>1) Does it matter how you take in your protein? Is protein from milk any
>different from protein in tuna?
>
>2) How do I get the other 30gms of protein?! A suggestion of protein bars
>has been put forward before ... but that stuff is sooooo expensive!

Home Mail
November 23rd 04, 11:38 PM
> wrote in message
> Do you like wasabi? Try some mixed with your tuna.
>
> Hal

I don't think it will matter.

Home Mail
November 23rd 04, 11:57 PM
> wrote in message

> Preferable to take it by mouth.

Reckon?

> Yes, but for the purposes of building muscle, either will do.

Good good.

> You already are taking more protein than you need. If you get at least
> 150-160 grams a day you should be fine. A rough formula is at least
> 3/4 gram protein per pound body weight per day. The extra protein you
> are consuming is just hurting you in the wallet. I assume you are not
> taking anabolic steroids.

Sigh, I hear conflicting opinions from just about everyone who I talk to on
this subject. Some say do 1.5gms per kilo of body weight, others say 2gms
and yet again others say 2.5gms!

Thanks for your help though.

Fish! (mmm Thecla)
November 24th 04, 05:25 AM
In article >, says...
> > wrote in message
>
> > Preferable to take it by mouth.
>
> Reckon?
>
> > Yes, but for the purposes of building muscle, either will do.
>
> Good good.
>
> > You already are taking more protein than you need. If you get at least
> > 150-160 grams a day you should be fine. A rough formula is at least
> > 3/4 gram protein per pound body weight per day. The extra protein you
> > are consuming is just hurting you in the wallet. I assume you are not
> > taking anabolic steroids.
>
> Sigh, I hear conflicting opinions from just about everyone who I talk to on
> this subject. Some say do 1.5gms per kilo of body weight, others say 2gms
> and yet again others say 2.5gms!
>
> Thanks for your help though.

it's 1 kilo of Protein per Gram of bodyweight, when the **** will people
understand this?

Helgi Briem
November 24th 04, 11:59 AM
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:57:25 +1300, "Home Mail" >
wrote:

>Sigh, I hear conflicting opinions from just about everyone who I talk to on
>this subject. Some say do 1.5gms per kilo of body weight, others say 2gms
>and yet again others say 2.5gms!

And all of those numbers are just rules of thumb. The research
suggests about 0.8g/lb and rounding up to a nice even number
for the math-challenged gives 1g/lb.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

DRS
November 24th 04, 12:10 PM
"Helgi Briem" > wrote in message

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:57:25 +1300, "Home Mail" >
> wrote:
>
>> Sigh, I hear conflicting opinions from just about everyone who I
>> talk to on this subject. Some say do 1.5gms per kilo of body weight,
>> others say 2gms and yet again others say 2.5gms!
>
> And all of those numbers are just rules of thumb. The research
> suggests about 0.8g/lb and rounding up to a nice even number
> for the math-challenged gives 1g/lb.

0.8g/lb (1.8g/kg) LBM is the traditional figure. I've been persuaded that
Lemon's formula of 1.8g/kg bodyweight is better for strength/size athletes.

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Steve Freides
November 24th 04, 05:10 PM
"Helgi Briem" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:57:25 +1300, "Home Mail" >
> wrote:
>
>>Sigh, I hear conflicting opinions from just about everyone who I talk
>>to on
>>this subject. Some say do 1.5gms per kilo of body weight, others say
>>2gms
>>and yet again others say 2.5gms!
>
> And all of those numbers are just rules of thumb. The research
> suggests about 0.8g/lb and rounding up to a nice even number
> for the math-challenged gives 1g/lb.

I think that number is for people trying to add muscle - for those of us
who aren't, much less suffices. I've always thought of 1 gram per kilo
of bodyweight as a good maintenance number, which is more like .4g/lb.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> --
> Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

DRS
November 24th 04, 05:39 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message

> "Helgi Briem" > wrote in message

[...]

>> And all of those numbers are just rules of thumb. The research
>> suggests about 0.8g/lb and rounding up to a nice even number
>> for the math-challenged gives 1g/lb.
>
> I think that number is for people trying to add muscle - for those of
> us who aren't, much less suffices. I've always thought of 1 gram per
> kilo of bodyweight as a good maintenance number, which is more like
> .4g/lb.

Why?

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Steve Freides
November 25th 04, 02:27 AM
"DRS" > wrote in message
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>
>> "Helgi Briem" > wrote in message
>
> [...]
>
>>> And all of those numbers are just rules of thumb. The research
>>> suggests about 0.8g/lb and rounding up to a nice even number
>>> for the math-challenged gives 1g/lb.
>>
>> I think that number is for people trying to add muscle - for those of
>> us who aren't, much less suffices. I've always thought of 1 gram per
>> kilo of bodyweight as a good maintenance number, which is more like
>> .4g/lb.
>
> Why?

'Cause someone somewhere told me it was enough. I don't remember who or
when at this moment. My own experience jives with this - there's just no
way I ever take in 1 gr per pound of bodyweight, and I continue to slowly
add muscle and I'm certainly not losing any.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> --
>
> "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and
> more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day
> the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and
> the
> White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
> H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Proton Soup
November 25th 04, 03:26 AM
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:27:27 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>"DRS" > wrote in message
>> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>>
>>> "Helgi Briem" > wrote in message
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> I think that number is for people trying to add muscle - for those of
>>> us who aren't, much less suffices. I've always thought of 1 gram per
>>> kilo of bodyweight as a good maintenance number, which is more like
>>> .4g/lb.
>>
>> Why?
>
>'Cause someone somewhere told me it was enough. I don't remember who or
>when at this moment. My own experience jives with this - there's just no
>way I ever take in 1 gr per pound of bodyweight, and I continue to slowly
>add muscle and I'm certainly not losing any.

Jibe. The word is jibe. Jive is a language.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

Lee Michaels
November 25th 04, 05:08 AM
"Proton Soup" > wrote

> Jibe. The word is jibe. Jive is a language.

Like Eubonics??

Proton Soup
November 25th 04, 05:44 AM
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:08:07 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:

>"Proton Soup" > wrote
>>
>> Jibe. The word is jibe. Jive is a language.
>>
>Like Eubonics??

Is that where you talk like a game show host?

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

John HUDSON
November 25th 04, 08:45 AM
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:08:07 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:

>"Proton Soup" > wrote
>>
>> Jibe. The word is jibe. Jive is a language.
>>
>Like Eubonics??

Perhaps you mean ebonics Lee?!!

Steve Freides
November 26th 04, 01:27 AM
"Proton Soup" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:27:27 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> > wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Why?
>>
>>'Cause someone somewhere told me it was enough. I don't remember who
>>or
>>when at this moment. My own experience jives with this - there's just
>>no
>>way I ever take in 1 gr per pound of bodyweight, and I continue to
>>slowly
>>add muscle and I'm certainly not losing any.
>
> Jibe. The word is jibe. Jive is a language.

Thank you! I always welcome having my English corrected.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com